Every time i try to install arch linux the commands these tutorial sites recommend don't work

every time i try to install arch linux the commands these tutorial sites recommend don't work.

how the fuck do people even install?

Other urls found in this thread:

arch-anywhere.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Huh, that's fucky. I've installed arch on at least 6 different machines I own(ed) and never ran into that one.
`findmnt', if you would.

Sure, why not? What do you think, OP?

I'm almost 100% sure you didn't mount your new root partition to /mnt

Cheat!! arch-anywhere.org/

It literally fucking says
genfstab /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
and dipshit OP did
genfstab /mnt

This is a bait thread or OP is retarded.

you misspelled "etc"

Yep, then he tried executing /mnt/etc/fstab
May have been a slip of the enter key, though.

i'll give it a try

>arch-anywhere.org/
Eh. If you actually follow the instructions on the arch wiki it 'just works'

lol it worked

also, use genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
instead. It will use UUIDs instead of /dev/sdxy; UUIDs are static and won't change for the most part. whether a given device is /dev/sda or /dev/sdb can and will change when you least expect it.

probably won't be a problem on his VM, it's unlikely he'll even add another disk

for normal installations definately should be using UUID's

i bought a laptop 3 days ago and i want to install arch linux on it. i am practicing so i can install it when it comes

better yet, I use labels. easier to read

install gentoo.

that's nice. good luck, user.

labels are more human-friendly, but then it's up to you to avoid conflicting labels
UUID's are basically just practically-gauranteed-unique labels

What kind?
True enough, but I'm generally very anal about stuff like that so I'm good

>I'm generally very anal about stuff like that
same, but at the same time, "room for human error" usually results in human error at some point
UUID's take human error out of the equation (unless you force a manual UUID, in which case you're just a walking mistake)

elitebook 8470p

HP? You done fucked up.

why?

i will concede hp is shit, but elitebooks are good

hard-coded BIOS/UEFI white/black lists on wifi pci cards, for one. google "HP Error 104" and you'll see.

Try an easier distro and quite torturing yourself. Give a try in a virtual machine maybe. Most times when I had difficulty I learned it was my fault. You'll get it.

DON'T DO THIS OP YOU NEED TO INSTALL IT MANUALLY TO LEARN HOW LINUX ACTUALLY WORKS

see
You're welcome

This.
Try Antergos or Manjaro for a more user-friendly Arch-based distro.

retard

Thanks!

You have to run the full command. It's not ending before the ">> /mnt/etc/fstab"

fixed your image OP

see
My guess is OP is new to Linux, and decided to start with Arch to be the most l33t h4xx0r. Anyone that's used Linux for more than a couple of days knows the /etc directory, and knows that calling a file without a command gets you nothing.

>calling a file without a command gets you nothing.
assuming it's not marked as executable

>ect

fucking idiot

Learn to use a keyboard you fucking imbecile

Just use architect OP

>GNU/Linux