New mp3 player

My dad currently uses pic related, but the battery in it is pretty much dead now. I need to get him something similar (not touchscreen) for a reasonable price. Wondering what mp3 players would be a good fit - which do you guys recommend?

Since he's already used to iTunes, how about new iPod with new battery + adapter for using memory cards for storage? Then there's also Fiio X1 for roughly hundred dollars, that's similar to bigger scrollwheel iPods, and uses microsd cards for storage. Then there's chink players, Ruizu X02 which looks similar and it's roughly same size than iPod Nano. Better options in chink players would be probably Xduoo X2 or X3, but can't remember the prices off the top of my head.

Thanks man, I'll look into these

look for secondhand old ipods online and at thrift stores in your area

go online and look for sites that sell batteries by typing in the model of your ipod. Look for videos that show how to open and replace (read: glue in) the battery.

aternatively ask in this thread
if you don't mind waiting 1-2 month for your shit to arrive. The brand of old-style mp3's without touchscreen controls that everybody was goin on about is called Ruizu I think. They develop some more new touchscreen stuff but also some old-looking stuff but with sd card expandable memory.

If they don't reply, scroll down to the VIDEO REVIEWS post, look on those youtube channels for reviews of mp3 players. Alternatively there's a wiki in the OP of the thread.

Basically, you should be able to get a clip-on mp3 with button controls and non-touch screen with sd card memory slot for like, less than 20 dollars? I'm not sure about the pricing.

As a Ruizu X02 owner I can tell you that the firmware is bit basic(at least on my models, not to mention it tends to crash if I go into ebook section of main menu) on those, but the player does what it needs to do pretty well. Only gripe with it would be that it plays files in writing order if there isn't idv2 tags on your files. Not to mention you can lock the player by pressing somewhere between menu and back button, which is handy. You might also check on the head-fi forums DAP section too for reviews and insights about those players. And yeah, if you're going with something that uses microsd card, you might also look into /csg/'s favourite meme, shark microsd cards.

The original Sansa Fuze was pretty good. I had a couple when I was in elementary and they lasted quite a bit

WAIT

AGPTeK is releasing a new player soon with the same form factor and rockbox support.

>take battery from a ds lite
>remove old battery
>tape ds light battery to case
>wire into old batteries connections

Enjoy your increased batterylife
Could also would with cellphone batteries

wtf is this autistic bullshit

just use a portable battery pack you fucking sperg

god damn

>portable battery pack
>charging lithium with lithium

wtf are you even talking about

Spastic retard detected! How about being a man and repairing your shit? It's not like you fucked your hands up by fisting yourself five times a day.

Protal battery packs simply charge the devices battery till they run out of power you are literally charging a battery with another battery

jesus christ

Why the hell isn't there a cheap-to-mid-priced 100% open music player out there? They're not complex devices by modern standards and between Linux and Net/OpenBSD there's plenty of choice of hardware to work with

O2/ODAC are totally open and have been a huge success, despite being part of the audiophile niche. Why not do the same with a PMP?

why, wha about those microsd thingies

OP I suggest you look into Fiio M3, it's a wonderful little piece of thing with awesome sound quality.

what's the sound quality of those little things, they're really cheap.

I have a G02 and a G02s, the SQ is very good

I'm sure the larger players (A02) sound even better

The A02 is the one they are working to make rockbox compatible

I had a Fiio X1. It's an ugly but functional design.

Keep in mind, the company is based in China, and it shows. In some ways it resembles a Chinese knockoff.

After using mine for about a year some glue started to leak from the scroll wheel. They said they'd repair it but the shipping to China was almost the cost of a new device. So overall, I didn't have a good experience.

check out the installgentoo wiki's chinkshit article

First for mourning greatest loss since nazi germany