/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Cred Forums wiki headphone FAQ
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

>Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

m.market.yandex.ru/product/9385275?was_redir=1&hid=90555&nid=56179&text=Vsonic gr07&srnum=1
audiobot9000.com/
blog.szynalski.com/2009/11/an-audiophiles-look-at-the-audio-stack-in-windows-vista-and-7/
aphnetworks.com/reviews/gigabyte_ga_z97x_ud3h_bk/11
head-fi.org/t/769894/sennheiser-momentum-2-0-over-ear-review-by-mark2410
youtu.be/e5skCVNlsJ0
amazon.com/Sennheiser-201-Lightweight-Over-Headphones/dp/B0007XJSQC
amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB450AP-Extra-Smartphone-Headset/dp/B00NBMHT6C
amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q30A1RI/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
amazon.com/Bluedio-T2-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B00Q2UZ7MS
epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html
monoprice.com/product?p_id=1419
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why isnt she wearing pants?

Nah, it's what the two posters in the last thread said, there's top performing headphones at many different price ranges so it will be a rollercoaster curve.

Best closed back headphones?

Ether C

but soundwaves are already 100% real. they can't be any less than 100% real

>Budget
240€ soft limit, 300€ hard hard limit

>Location
Portugal

>Source
FiiO E10K

>Preferred type of headphone
Over ear

>Open or closed
Preferably open but I don't mind closed with decent soundstage if possible

>Comfort level
As long as it doesn't hurt my ears like the DT990 (which was a major pain for my right ear for whatever reason)

>Preferred tonal balance
Good extended sub-bass even If I need to use an EQ. Want something neutralish but with decent impact on the low end and no bright, almost sibilant, treble like the DT990 and K702

>Past headphones
K612 - were too anemic
K702 - Enjoyed these quite a bit actually, with the exception of most EDM but not all. The treble was a bit too much and the bass was too low though
DT990 - I remember the bass being a bit bloated on some tracks, but I enjoyed it for the most part. The major issue were the right pad hurting my ear for some reason and the sibilant treble almost causing ear damage

Was thinking about getting the HD650. From everything that I've read the mid bass is pretty decent even for EDM, the mids are gorgeus, the treble is very soft (which is what I want), and the sub-bass can always be raised with a parametric EQ. Any thoughts? I haven't heard them myself though, that's just what I've read so far around the web. Can't find any store to test them.

I need some noise-cancelling headphones that aren't insanely expensive
>Budget
£100 or so
>Location
Bongland
>Source
Phone and laptop
Noise cancelling is a must, preferably around ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Not too important
>Preferred tonal balance
Not a priority, but balanced

Both 600's and 650's respond well to EQ

I think the HD650 will suit you just fine.

You can use a parametric EQ on the HD650, it responds well with EQ.

Do you need active noise cancelling or could live with passive? If passive then HD280 Pro. I'm not to up-to-date with the active models.

>responds well with EQ
new meme?

HD650 has good bandwidth, low distortion and adequate sealing so it responds well to EQ as opposed to some headphones.

So yeah, new meme.

Should've said my budget is like €300, $1500 is a bit too much for me.

Active is a must for my use case I'm afraid.

i'm curious what your use case is

Do you live in the middle of constant noise? are you inside a factory?

Best IEMs under $50?

if you were a girl would you wear pants?

>good bandwidth
new meme?

If I were a girl i'd be masturbating all day every day

Only if I had a camera to follow me around.

I commute and travel a lot by plane, it's nice to be able to shut off noise in public.

pm3?

Audio-Technica ATH-AX1iS
Philips SHL3300
Sony MDR V55

which one of these should I get, I'm mainly gonna use em for outside use

whichever has the best reviews

What's with the fat anime grills lately

the philips one has

that one also has a twisty cord cool

>fat

HD381B

In my experience, when it comes to really cheap headphones philips usually has the upper hand.

Senfer UEs or Soundmagic E10
Senfer if you want more bass, and Soundmagic if you want a somewhat more neutral sound.

Has anyone even received theirs yet? I haven't seen any discussion other than speculation based on product information.

Phillips or MDRs
i'd personally go with the MDRs since they look more solid, and im not really sure what the fuck that earpad design is
cheap AT's suck too
though they are bass heavy [or at least marketed to be], so if you don't want that then dont get em.

Help me, please.

m.market.yandex.ru/product/9385275?was_redir=1&hid=90555&nid=56179&text=Vsonic gr07&srnum=1

Maybe this?

I've heard the shure 215 are pretty good, I'm pretty sure they have an emphasis on the low end. I've also heard good things about senfer ue, ues, and 4 in 1 along with all of the kz iem's.

dont reccomend him KZ
there are a lot of better things within his budget

Because the HD650 headband isn't comfy enough to my tastes, even after replacing the foam.

Maybe there's a sensitive part of my head at the top center, I don't know. I really like the Audio Technica system for instance, because it has zero pressure there.

I have the same issue with the Fostex, and I'm trying an aftermarket comfort strap (AKG style) with some success.

Thank you guys. I will try to find and listen those headphones.

That's very interesting user, the HD650 is probably the most comfortable headband I've ever used. And the Pro Beyerdynamic headbands are too stiff in my experience with them, I find them quite uncomfortable. I'm fine with the Premium Beyerdynamic ones though. Also I find Audio-Technica wings uncomfortable.

Comfort truly is subjective.

>Budget
100€. Hard limit is 150€.
>Location
Spain.
>Source
PC and iPhone mostly, iPad, TV.
Over the ear, as comfy and isolating as possible. I'm wearing glasses.
>Open or closed
Closed, I'm going to use this at work (programmer surrendered by 100 mechanical keyboards)
>Comfort level
10/10
>Preferred tonal balance
I listen to many types of musics so I guess all around and balanced. I like "fun" headphones.
>Past headphones
Sony MDR-V55 very uncomfy they just hurt me after 5-10 min, Polk Audio Mele good but just made for gaming sound quality is ok, AKG K240 MKII broke very fast even giving them a very good usage, HyperX Cloud II amazing headset but just for gaming, I don't want to carry them every day.

DT770 and Audio-Technica ATH-M40x are my strongest options right now.

You just described the DT770 Pro 80 ohm. Ticks all the boxes you want:

>comfort
>v-shaped frequency response

Just a question, I've read a couple of times that 880 sound way better and are almost as comfy as DT770, is that like that or are they similar?

Different person but I'm pretty sure the 880 is more neutral and the 770 is more v shaped. The 880's are open too so they'll let more sound in.

I'm sticking to DT 770 right now, thanks. What about Sennheisser Momentum? What do they offer?

>Beyer headbands trash talk
You realize all of them are made of metal? Beyersremorse fags simply refuse to bend their headband so they trash talk it.

If you get m40x you WILL want replacement pads, especially if you wear glasses. real leather, sheepskin, or velour are your best bet.

Imo DT 770 are much more comfortable, and sound a bit better than m40x, but some people find the 770's a bit too much in the highs. I'd personally get them anyway because there are ez 'mods' to reduce trebble. Even without voiding warranty.
You can just EQ it as well if you'd like.

The m40x will be slightly more neutral, but you do want a 'fun' headphone. unless youre listening to jazz or orchestral, the 770's will make stuff like EDM or hip hop a lot more enjoyable.

Unless you get thick leather pads for the m40x, the 770's will isolate a little more.

880's are semi-open, so you'll hear the keyboards
that said they'll sound clearer and more accurate in multiple ways
770's have better bass tho

770's are fine for what you need

unless you want a more open airy neutral sound, the 770's are the way to go.

M40x are a bit more neutral [if you want that or not], more portable, and have a removable cable.
but also are worse built and less comfortable.

don't get momentums either. they're designed for portable use and not much more. the m40x would easily out do them for both that and sound quality.
only thing momentums would do better is build quality and better stock pads.

That thing in the picture is what I have on my 650, incidentally.
I'll probably try the ZMF Pilot Pad especially since it has a lambskin version.

Anyone know anything about LG G5 earphones ? I remember hearing that the QuadBeat3 with the LG G4 are pretty good (taking into consideration the price), but I can't find much info on the ones with LG G5 because US carriers don't give out earphones while Europe does

Thanks sir, your explanations helped me a lot. Yes, I listen a lot of "up and down music" (lots of metalcore, rock, EDM, trap, hip hop, hardcore).. and people talk really good about how comfortable and isolating they are. I'm ordering the beyerdynamics later, thank you very much.

880 is semi-open, but leaks as much and isolates as much as a true open set. Not what you want.

The 880 is tuned to be more neutral and is not what I think you want sound-wise as well. For most people a fun sound is a v-shaped response.

The DT770 is better for your application, the Momentum's sound signature is flat bass and mids with rolled off treble, comfort is good but earpads are small.

I've owned many Beyers. But I don't see your point. All I'm stating is that the Pro beyer headbands are uncomfortable to me, the padding could be better.

Haven't seen measurements of the new earphones but QuadBeat 3 (and the AKG edition) were some of the best cheap IEMs.

Soundstage isn't real, kiddo.

r u cooked?

I know I shouldn't care but how bad did my brother do?

You fucked up bad.

Price?

How much did he pay for them?
they're honestly not /the worst/ if you want niggerbass as long as he didn't pay out the ass

but if he's looking for actual sound quality, he's an idiot

that's like 30$, right ? I guess not that bad

thats not too horrible, but still a poor choice
certain MDRs have nice clean bass and are around that price

>Canadian cuckbucks

we have to pay hst so its actually 60.24 cad which converts to 45.55 usd. for curious sake, is the nvx xpt100 worse or better than it. thats's what im corrently rocking.

the xpt are much better
theyre actually good for a start

not really an audiophile, just asking some questions in the thread, but as far as I know, it would be hard having something worse than skullcandy, maybe a cheap gaming headset?

better or worse?

>headset
worse

MUCH MUCH MUCH WORSE
got em as a gift once
sucked ass
most fragile shit ive ever used
sounded like a generic mediocre headset
mic was shit
and materials used are shit

the only nice thing about them was the inline controls

Basically every headset is shit and 100% (minus maybe the CloudX) is overpriced as fuck. Fuck all the gayming headsets like Logitech, Razer, SteelSeries and all the other ones, and while I've heard headsets from Sennheiser and possibly other real companies make them pretty good, they still cost 100$+ just for a little more comfortable mic than the zallman clip on mic

everyone says these are really good for the price
yes/no ?

the sound quality is really good for the price

Ok that's a 20 year old anecdote. Headsets aren't great but that's really stretching

Is the CloudX as good as people talk ? Not interested myself, but some of my friends are looking for new headphones and I'm very sure they are going towards a headset, would like to recommend something better than usual headset shit

>point out your joke is bad and outdated
>r-reddit!!

wew

>point out your joke is bad and outdated
That's not what you did and you know it, you can't point out the second without taking it seriously.
What's with the invasion of r/headphones? Is this because the OP doesn't frown upon them anymore?

>deleting your shitpost to bury evidence
>r-r-reddit!!!

Just give it up, dude

Should i get a schiit dac aswell ontop of my schiit amp for my hd650?

Wasn't deleted by me.
>shitpost
You're not fooling anyone.

creative is a shit company but those actually sound good

yes, they're very good
kingston took an existing good headphone [Takstar Pro 80's] and modified them to have a mic jack and a mic [which comes off]
and slapped some paint on em and called em the Hyper X Cloud Core

takstar is known for making good budget headphones
the pro 80's are the closed version of their hi2050's which are around 40 usd [and also real fucking good]

they werent designed as a headset from the ground up which is a good thing

They sound nearly as good as m40x, and are built much better.
stock pads are fuckin real leather, and are real nice.
The only downside is the lack of a removable cable.
Theyre a good cheap headphone with the bonus of being capable of a headset
the mic is pretty average sounding, but you obviously arent going to use it for podcasting or anything. theyre fine for VOIP
i took a perm marker and went over the stitching, and then spray painted over the logos
they now look like the most default headphone ever made.

the difference between the cloud 1 and two is the two is like 30 usd more, comes with velour pads, a somewhat better mic, some 7.1 adapter thing, and comes in different colours

i got mine for 32 USD on sale, but i don't expect them to get that low for a long time, if at all. atm theyre sold for around 70 usd, though you could likely find them a bit cheaper.

hope that helped
ask if youve got anything else you want to know i guess

Budget:
150€
Comfort level:
As comfy as possible, more important than sound.

The rest doesn't matter to me.

>takstar is known for making good budget headphones
Takstar is known for not existing anymore, where the fuck are you going to get pro80's for 40 usd?
You can get the hi2050's made by ISK though.

HD 558 if you want open
DT 770 if you want closed

imo hd 558 are slightly more comfy due to being lighter and a softer headband

both are probably the best in your budget

hd 558 > 598 for most people incase you associate more expensive = better

sorry i havent slept and its 4:40 am
i mean the hi2050 are 40 usd
the ISK are identical to the hi2050
pretty sure theyre just rebranded, not seperately manufactured

i was the one who 'spread' the whole ISK meme on /csg/ and /hpg/ anyway

>the ISK are identical to the hi2050
They're the same thing, ISK bought the hi2050 design and part producers from Takstar when they were in a deep money-related crisis.

There is literally nothing wrong with headsets.

It's just Jakkasu trying to shit up the thread again.

oh shit, didn't know that. interesting
always thought they were just another company rebranding takstars
do you know if ISK makes alternatives to the pro 80?
ive never seen one

I think the 2011's were meant to be pro-80 replacements but I think they gave up and cheaped out on them, maybe not.

Might have been bought out by another company.

don't think so
they use the same cup. the hi2050/2011 are open and use different pads
both the 2050 and pro 80 sound fantastic for their price [or old prices]

I have a creative card, is there any reason I shouldn't use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter to plug into a headphone amp?

creative card?

X-Fi Platinum

Can I fit HD-25 drivers inna amperior?

oh
no, there isnt a downside
though you don't need an amp unless your headphones don't get loud enough

Gotcha, thanks.

Yeah, I can't find a specification anywhere on the platinum and Creative wouldn't give me any info either, but based on a guess I'd say it can only fully push 150ohm headphones, I need 250, however.

I figure the card would work well enough as a DAC and I can just purchase an amp to get the juice I need as long as I wouldn't run into any major issues doing so.

why not just buy HD-25 ear cups.

so you don't have the amp already?
don't buy one before you get the headphones
ohms actually dont give much info. its a lot more down to the headphone and source itself

fuckin ps4 controllers can drive 600 ohm headphones if that gives you any idea

muh 'luminium

>fuckin ps4 controllers can drive 600 ohm headphones if that gives you any idea
how loud are we talking about here

Im SO out of the loop with current headsets, so hit me up with some good recommendations, under the 100euro range. 100e being the absolute maximum.
Yes I know headsets are shit and all that, but convenience is what Im going after. Sick and tired of fucking around with extra wires, mics, audio problems introduced by said extra devices and so on. Fucking sick to my goddamn stomach with that shit.
So...
>100euro price ceiling
>Decent microphone
>Looks dont matter
>Decent sound quality (for a headset)
>USB connection
Thats it really, Im not all too picky.

hey guys I just bought the sennheiser pc 363d's did i mess up

painful levels

thats not the point though
its that Ohms don't actually directly translate into being 'harder' to drive

yes, unless they were on sale for at least $40 usd off
you could have gotten HD 558's and a real good desktop mic for that price

Is there any specification that can be used to see if a headphone/amp combo would be suitable if not impedance/watts/RMS?

audiobot9000.com/

Sup /hpg/. I need an advice for a pair of cans to plug in a weighted keyboard for monitoring while I practice. Budget: roughly a hundred bucks.
Thanks guys.

Sony MDR-7056

H E L L O.
Im looking for a good pair of headphones since i mostly listen to drone or doom. Doesn't matter if its around-ear or in-ear. Just as long as it as a great noise isolation.

Thanks, and greetings from /lit/.

What does anime move to do with headphones?

If its for monitoring, MDR 7506 are your best bet. They're the least coloured closed backs you can get for that price range.

fill out the purchase advice forum
what budget do you even have?

Well, since I'm going to spend all those money on them I'd probably use them to listen to music as well, but yeah, the main purpose is to monitor what I'm playing.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestion.

woops, thanks user
>Budget
$250 to $100
>Location
tacoland
>Source
Mostly my iphone
IEMs
>Comfort level
Enough for long ass fuck drone or doom songs
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral
>Past headphones
sennheiser hd205 but those are just for home. I want something for when im on the train.

Again, thanks friends

OH SHIT. Meant under $100

Are you using them for full blown DAW work? Or just monitoring your keyboard playing?

If you're not gonna use them for producing or such, and use them for music too, get the MDR V6
They're a bit more coloured than 7506, but they're more enjoyable for listening to music.

If you are using them for production, the 7506 is absolutely the way to go. You want accurate representation for that.

Just using them to not annoy the neighbours and possibly listening to music. I'm no producer or anything, just a musician.

The V6 seem to not be available in Europe, unlike the 7506. I guess I'll go with them, if there's nothing better.

Oh, if youre just playing keyboard accuracy doesn't matter that much. You can go for pretty much any headphone at that point.
the 7506 are pretty bland when listening to music. Their real only purpose is professional monitoring

I'd suggest going for HD 558's if youre okay with open back. Comfy and sound good. Are you sure there are no other ways of getting the V6? They're my personal neutral-ish closed back recommendation at that point.

Since a weighted keyboard behaves like a real piano (the harder you stroke the key, the louder the sound) I just wanted to avoid training while perceiving sounds that are much louder or quieter than they actually would be if I played in an actual piano, because otherwise I would end up having the wrong muscule memory; at least that's what I fear. Thus the requirement for some fairly neutral headphones.

Apparently the V6 is available only in the US (or in the UK, at some ridiculous price), while the 558 are out of my budget.

>I just wanted to avoid training while perceiving sounds that are much louder or quieter than they actually would be if I played in an actual piano
oh, you probably do want the 7506's then.
since you have limited selection then yeah, theyre probably your best bet.

All right, thank you again user.

hey /hpg/. What cheap portable dac can I get that will work on my S7? The audio is pretty lame.

No it isn't.

I've got a pretty basic question: if I'm feeding a headphone amp (O2) from a sound card (Xonar DX), what level should I set the PC volume at? Maxed out and just use the amp's volume control? Could that cause clipping somewhere along the signal path or some shit?

maxed out and use amp volume, no it wont cause clipping, does the driver software have a line out setting?

B-but

Yeah that's what I thought. It doesn't have any specific line out setting, but the card also isn't one of those with a built-in headphone amp or anything like that.

Maxxed. Windows compresses audio when it's not at full volume.

It just reduces the bit rate. Ever since windows vista it converts 16/24-bit to 32-bit and then back to whatever you're outputting so you never lose any quality anymore

oh shit
i learned something new
ty

Yeah, I read about that, what I was more worried about was the output level of a sound card at 100% volume, basically I wasn't sure if it's line level as I'd expect to get out of something like a dedicated external DAC or something more powerful, since it can in the end drive headphones by itself even if it isn't marketed as having a headphone amp like other models.

blog.szynalski.com/2009/11/an-audiophiles-look-at-the-audio-stack-in-windows-vista-and-7/

>The new audio stack automatically upconverts all streams to a 32-bit floating-point sample depth (the same that is used in professional studios) and mixes them with the same precision. Because of the amount of headroom that comes with using 32-bit floats, there is no more clipping when playing two samples at the same time. There is also no loss of resolution when you lower the volume of a stream (see below).

bumpin pls

Delicious Riina thighs

why dont any of the IEMs in the pastebin have buttons

RE-400

thank you, my knee-grow

>Deats by Bre
disgusting

because they're not for fagbois

How does the sound quality of sub $100 IEM vs headphones compare?

Are there leather pads for the HD600s? Google shows nothing but velour replacements and I hate that shit.

The fuzzy velour ones that come with stock get hot easily and they also irritate my face. It's like being wrapped in a scratchy carpet.

paid 50 bucks for em maybe 4 years ago love em

Leather is also known for getting hot though. You might look for suede/vegan pads which are supposedly cooler but I've only seen those in round shapes for Audeze-style cans

>Wasn't deleted by me
Lying won't help you

>You're not fooling anyone
There's only one fool here right now and I'm quoting him.

Apples to oranges. There's good sound at both types at any price range.

nigga now i'm confused

Around the $0-$50 mark, IEMS have a major advantage due to lower manufacturing costs, so drivers an shit can be better.
After that, full sized headphones take the lead whole heartedly.

Of course there will be outliers, but for the most part, that's how it goes.

I remember a few years ago some company called Jmoney Audio made leather pads for the HD 600 but they seem to not exist anymore

>Budget
130USD

>Location
US

>Source
Desktop, I don't own an amplifier, but if I need to buy one I'd like it to stay under $130 alongside the headphones.

>Type
Full sized

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort
Doesn't matter too much

>Tonal balance
V-shaped or bassy

Thanks.

dt770 pro 80 ohm limited edition

So at 80 ohms I shouldn't need to worry about an amplifier, correct?

not the dude you replied to, but no. 770 80 ohms don't need an amp.

Thanks!

Those headphones only need about 250mW to get 120dB SPL of gain, so no you really don't need much amplification but make sure your device can transmit at least 30mA of current which it should be able to do.

OK, good to know. Hopefully it can power it.

almost had a seizure u bitch

My IEMs take a shitload of abuse, as do most peoples'. What's the cheapest, most durable neutral or v shaped IEM you would recommend? No set budget, just assume the fewer the burger bucks the better.

My Note 5 is still so comfy.

delete this

Best headphones under $100 for comfort?

Closed only.

Beats by nigger. Fill out the form.

>>Budget
100USD soft, 200 hard
>>Location
USA
>>Source
my laptop
>>Preferred type of headphone
Around/Over ear
>>Open or closed
closed
>>Comfort level
needs to be COMFY.JPG
>>Preferred tonal balance
Balanced/nutral, but don't really care
>>Past headphones
Monoprice's 8323, can barely wear them 10+ minuets anymore

le re-400

REMINDER:

er4sr is best headphone

all else is shit

I agree with you.

There is literally nothing new and exciting in the world of headphones right now.

I'll be back in one year /hpg/.

>he doesnt know about half-soundwave.

>Budget
150ish USD
>Location
USA
>Source
Plugged into computer or phone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Closed is a must
>Comfort level
As long as it doesn't cause pain over long periods of time
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral or bassy
>Past headphones
Gaymer shit when I was 16, I've been using those but I've been wanting something not USB powered

I was looking into the sennheiser 558's and 598's but I found out they were open back

Should also note that I'd like a pair that I can replace the cord with one with a mic

Hello hillary

Beyer 250, or 770

Soundmagic E10

MA750 is usually recommended for its durability due to the stainless steel build. iirc it has 3 year warranty too.
Though, it definitely is not neutral and has a bassy signature.

Today my akg k72 arrived, but im not happy with the sound.
I'm a noob with headphones but they looked good, comfy, they are fairly new and is by akg so they should alteast be better than my siberia v2. They sound so hollow.

Do i need to equalize or do they just sound like this?

>they looked good
>im not happy with the sound.
hahhahahahaha

You should try to equalize it but it's possible you just don't like that sound and never really will. I would give it a few days at least though, you may get used to it and end up liking it.

I haven't heard the K72 specifically but it seems like it's geared mainly towards studio monitoring use, which may explain why it sounds hollow or dull.

what other closed ones for daily use in the same price range would you recommend?

this if im not happy after a few days

>Budget
Under 100 euros
>Location
Sweden
>Source
iPhone 5s and PC
Full size Over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
fairly comfy
>Preferred tonal balance
balanced i guess?
>Past headphones
Siberia v2 akg k72

Superlux HD662 EVO with mods - mediafire.com/download/3spkwew0f18083b/Superlux+HD662-EVO.pdf

>akg

>Budget
400-500
>Location
USA
>Source
Phone galaxy s7
Computer
Full size cup
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Doesn't matter
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
Atx mh40

are akg like the razer of audiophiles or something?

>Budget
Looking to spend around $500 but could do more
>Location
USA
>Source
PC, Phone, mostly PC.
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open, but looking for a similarly priced closed pair as well
>Comfort level
Doesn't matter, just not rocks on my ear
>Preferred tonal balance
Listen to a wide range of music, so a balanced set
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD 600 , ATH M50s

No, that would be beats, but brand bashing/shilling is pretty common around here

HD600 tbqhfamlam

What's wrong with the HD600?

Nothing just want a new pair of cans and want to spend some more

Would I need an amp?

behold the correct answer to that graph

also optimized and compressed

Generally, yes. Most devices do not supply enough voltage for the HD600 to get loud enough. Even though the nominal impedance is 300 Ohms, it actually swells up to 600 Ohms at around 85Hz.

>Budget
$50 soft, $80 hard
>Location
U.S.A
>Source
Laptop
Full sized
>Open or closed
I would like closed, but would still like to be aware of my surroundings.
>Comfort level
must be comfortable for long periods of time

>want re-400s but the version with the inline mic is known to break easily

So I've been tasked with finding an all-in-one headset solution for my job, and I figured this might be the better place to ask rather than making a thread.

I just need something that's quite comfy for 1-2hr use at a time, primarily for conferencing. Price range is $20-50.

I haven't used a headset in years so I have no idea what's good.

I picked up some xaiomi piston 3's and they are pretty awesome for the price. Has all the features i could ask for

If it's just for conferencing, get something by Plantronics, they're essentially made for that. I wouldn't use it for general listening, though.

the regular version is fine tho

Circumaural, closed, and under $500. What's the best build quality? I want something that will last 20 years.

Focal Spirit Pro lasted two years. Sennheiser hd 595 lasted 3 years. I'm sick of this shit.

i was gonna make a thread but apparently this still exists.
so I need earbuds with a mic for my phone. i have a pretty short checklist but i dont know where to look

>decent mic with noise cancellation
>thick braided cable
>metal connector
>metal housing

i basically want something i can beat the fuck out and its not gonna shit out on me. where do i start?

Is burning in your headphones a meme?

Mostly, yeah, but headphone drivers in the end are physical devices and as such them moving around a bit could probably loosen them up slightly, whether you can actually hear a difference because of that is another thing entirely.

I been listening to Shure SE215 for few days now.
The bass just drowns all other sounds under it?
Did i fall the a meme? I loved the sound of my piston iii, until i dropped them. What the fuck i supposed this was suppose be an upgrade to them?

What would have been better IEM?

Yeah the SE215 have exaggerated bass, you might try a few different tips to see if that helps. Otherwise get something else

yeah, I tried different tips, none of them had a pleasing sound.

Any suggestions for other models?
For example for headphones I have he-400i and I like their sound signature.

Return that piece of shit.
DT770

HD419

>The bass just drowns all other sounds under it?
yep

I need some noise-cancelling headphones that aren't insanely expensive
>Budget
$50
>Location
usa
>Source
Phone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
yes
>Preferred tonal balance
balanced
>Past headphones
Pioneer SE-505 Pioneer Monitor 10 Pioneer Monitor 10 II AKG K701

Just wanting a decent pair of on the go headphones

Any particular reason you need active noise cancellation rather than passive noise isolation?

Yes

oops I forgot to erase that when I copied it
yeah nah i dont really need it

CAL if you're really wed to the idea of fullsized headphones for "on the go" audio. But for "on the go" it is recommended you get some IEMs like the Soundmagic E10.

>Soundmagic E10
are they good for Classic Rock Blues and the such also Jpop

aphnetworks.com/reviews/gigabyte_ga_z97x_ud3h_bk/11

Is this good on-board sound performance?

Looks like AKG is shutting down their Austrian Engineering team and moving it to China. How shit will they become now?

inb4 Sennheiser does the same thing afterwards "too keep up with the AKGes"

no nothing from anybody?

AKG has always been a dead company. Beyer and Senn has always been better.

Is there a recommend closed back version of the Audio-Technica AD900x? Loving the comfortableness but not the lack of isolation.

Are Portapros still the best cheap headphones?

i have fidelio x2s and sennheiser 598s
whats the next logical step

A900x? They most likely measure completely differently, though.

Beats by Dr. Dre™

Fill out the form, fag.

>something i can beat the fuck out and its not gonna shit out on me.
Yeah, that's a V-Moda you want, they also sell the boompro mic and a few options of detachable cables so if you ever get one ruined you can just grab another one

You're already at the peak.

Try a different sound signature.

What do you mean by "measure completely differently"?

Just chiming in. I came here for advice, and you guys set me up proper.

Ended up ordering a bunch of stuff that (you) suggested, including HD600's, DT770's, Hp50's, some HKG's I can't recall, and the V-moda 100

Ran them all from a JDS element. It was a great time.

The HD600's were amazing. I didn't keep them because I wanted closed, but I had to hear them.

The DT 770's won out for me overall. So comfy. I went with the 80 ohm, they work well from a mobile, and shine with an amp. V-Moda was better, but I had to get the XL pads and they still didn't fit right (I have a largish melon).

tl;dr try as many as you can.

I'm loving the DT 770's... where do I go up from there for under $500?

He means that the measurable qualities, such as frequency response, distortion and impedance, differ significantly between the two models.

Checked.

They may not sound the same despite both being 900x's.

Thanks guys.

PM3

PM3 has small pads and he may not like that.

its you from the battlestation thread

>Budget
Under 100
>Location
US
>Source
LG G5
Portable, closed, in ear.
>Comfort level
Comfort > sound
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral, not too bright. Listening to mostly shoegaze.
>Past headphones
Bose IE.
>bose
Got them as a gift. Honestly, not terrible headphones, definitely not worth the 100 or whatever that was paid for them, but pretty ok.

Something for walking back and forth to uni in and comfortable enough to sit in the lab for 8+ hours with them on. Mic/controls would be a cool bonus, don't care too much about that though.

I have both KSC75 and Porta Pros. Porta Pros have better bass I wish the KSC75s had.

>Budget
Under $250, preferably under $200, but if I can get a significant quality increase to go up, I'll take it
>Location
US, prefer to order from a place that can ship fast like Amazon
>Source
Computer, standard 9mm.
Full-sized, although open to IEMs I suppose
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
High
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
Turtle Beach X-12 (>inb4)
Sennheiser PC 350 SE

Either another Piston 3 or Senfer UES would have been better.
I don't get why Shure's IEMs are always so hit or miss.

Most of the time.
I feel its more based on the materials used, the quality of the materials, and how much they move.
Its pretty much just the diaphragm loosening up most of the time.
Lower end tends to open up a little bit more because it's easier for the diaphragm to vibrate.

For example, I had extremely audible burn in with my 668B's, but everything else I've never noticed it at all,
and I've done the whole pink noise and tone sweeps with all my headphones.

Doesn't help that the whole placebo effect thing exists.

Do they need to be foldable? Because you really don't have much at that price range.

IEMs would be your better choice to be honest. Get some Senfer UES' if you like somewhat V-shaped sound, or Soundmagic E10 if you want flat sound.
IMO UES' are better, but some just want clean and only a little bass.

he said earbuds

HD419, it isn't neutral but it's the comfiest closed back for under 100 usd, it's not bright either

I know noise cancelling/wireless is frowned upon, but is it really that bad?

Perhaps getting closed ear phones will give me decent isolation from the constant talking in "study" areas.

IEMs or closed headphones can isolate well enough.

There is no evidence to support that noise cancelling or wireless is bad, it's just shitposting being done by a minority here.

I'm reading up on those and may check them out if I can get free return. Thx.

Maybe I can ask different question.

Baseline - I'm digging the DT770's amped or straight from ip6.

With external DAC/AMP, HD600's seem to be a kind of reference point. Clearly better than the 770's, but open, and more expensive. It's all good.

What's the next big jump? Lets say I have 2k to blow, and I want to hear the limits of all my source material. I know there is diminishing returns, but what's the next local maxima?

I was only considering Bose wireless shit over regular cans. There's also the Sennheiser and Sony options for the wireless/cancelling category.

A random guy told me the wireless closed back Bose are "accurate" in sound so they aren't actually bad just overpriced.

Bose is top tier for noise cancelling. The cost is expensive. but it's a true premium product I don't think the sound would be accurate, it will be tuned to a mainstream bass boosted sound I believe.

These smart people will probably tell more. I know that wireless is just stupid for hifi audio headset.

Bluetooth SBC is terrible by the math, AptX isn't much better, and uncompressed is too much for bluetooth. WIFI is too much power, so maybe there is proprietary, but I'm sure it will suck too. Laws of physics.

I had a boner for Bose noise reduction, because I travel alot and it is good if you want to hear podcasts or tv show or maybe even movie on a plane.

But in quiet, all that DSP just muddles the quality of music. So maybe it's best to get most isolation without DSP, or maybe some people get vertigo with noise cancellation. It's generally not great unless you just want to hear speech.

How would I do if I went with Sennheiser or Sony instead? Not just talking about wireless. They would probably go less with mainstream tuning.

You guys probably know less about the mobile models but is there a general trend? I would just put down a form but I'm not trying to get the at home use kind of stuff discussed here.

At least Sony is developing their new bluetooth tech.

>What's the next big jump? Lets say I have 2k to blow, and I want to hear the limits of all my source material. I know there is diminishing returns, but what's the next local maxima?
Probably something like HD800 or HD800S. Not really a fan of it though, the treble is too hyped up for my tastes.

Most mainstream consumer headphones are tuned for heavy bass, it's gonna be the same with Sennheiser or Sony. Bose ANC tech is the best if you can afford it, I generally recommend those.

For Sony and Sennheiser, only on their audiophile and professional lineup, the headphones are tuned for a flatter frequency response.

If you have a link I will read up about it, I work on some bluetooth protocol, and I will give honest feedback. But problem with bluetooth is certification and backward compatibility to prior specifications, and fact that consumers assume it's magic and return rates are so high that it might as well be proprietary when you try to optimize for some use case like hifi.

it's a mess.

head-fi.org/t/769894/sennheiser-momentum-2-0-over-ear-review-by-mark2410

This is a consumer mobile line.

He literally said it's too autism and tuned audiophilia. So actually I shouldn't have to worry about it butchering music whether I am listening to Stravinsky or something more regular.

>The Momentum line I feel has been Sennheiser’s attempt to produce a “mainstream,” warm, rich flavoured offering.
>It’s like Sennheiser have gone for a more consumer friendly sound but the engineer in them couldn’t stop themselves from tweaking the 2.0 back into more mature territory.

How do (you) know? What's the best way to audition these 1k level cans? I did a run at the ~USD100-300 units and I got bit here and there on returns.

The Momentum series are tuned for flat bass, flat midrange but the treble is rolled off. Not a bad type of sound IMO, but still not overall flat.

Maybe a headphone meet? It sounds dumb but you can pretty much listen to every top of the line headphone and make your own decision. Buying and returning kilobuck headphones just isn't practical.

I live in buttfuck nowhere. Chances seem so slim, but I'll look into it.

Why is Cred Forums so retarded?

>I don't get why Shure's IEMs are always so hit or miss.
Been thinking about replacing my ER-4S with a SE535 (the special edition).

I just want high accuracy without the dildo fit.

>I want to hear the limits of all my source material
Get better at recognizing the failing of the reproduction. Train yourself to listen better.
If you're expecting magic to happen, that would only occur because you believed it would happen. Headphones, speakers, no matter the price, just don't sound that great.
>I know there is diminishing returns, but what's the next local maxima?
There isn't one at any price. Audio quality and value are subjective and personal values, not something another person can impose on you.
You state your priorities and what you want, and maybe you can get something you can live with.

HD800, Ether, Focal Elear, HE-560, LCD-2, pick your poison. I wouldn't take any of them without a correction function.

Do you really live in the middle of the taiga or some uninhabited desert? People seem to say they live in the middle of nowhere with no audio when they live near a fairly large city. Cities will have at least one audio store somewhere.
>How do (you) know?
I used to live within walking distance of a large specialty store. I've been to a few smaller audiophile gatherings, I've not attended the larger trade shows.

It would be fine if paired devices can work with a half decent coder at a passable bitrate, but devices don't necessarily support SBC high quality, never mind the optional mp3, AAC, and the AptX stuff. So yeah, A2DP is a wreck.
Kleer Audio never took off.

I own SE535s (not SE) and they are very dark. To my understanding, SE only boosts the highs by just a few db.
Compared to Ety's, namely ER4, they sound quite "dull". To me, however, this is a good as I have long commutes which leads to extended listening times, but in the end they really do feel lacking.
See if you can audition them somewhere before you buy.

Op probably is, but to be fair their thread is more active and has less shitposting than ours.

I want some cheap earbuds for my iPod. Sub 30 bucks cheap

Fug, the search continues.

Don't know of any store that has audiophile IEMs available to try.

One thing about the ER-4S is that you have to push it DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP for the treble to not be sibilant. I'm beginning to tire of this.

You can give the RE400 a go. Despite the price, I found them somewhat similar to the SE535s and measurements back this up. They are shallow inserts too.
One thing to look out for is the build quality.

>>Budget
around $50, the cheaper the better

>>Location
USA

>>Source
Laptop/Phone

>>Preferred type of headphone
On-Ear

>>Open or closed
closed

>>Comfort level
pretty ocd about this, gotta be comfy

>>Preferred tonal balance
v-shaped or balanced, currently have dt990 premiums and need something for mobile listening that isolates better

>>Past headphones
Monoprice's 8323, Koss ProDJ 200, currently have dt990 premium and i love them

I was considering this as well. Anyway, ordered, if I don't like it, it's not too expensive, might give it to my mom or something.

Gotta do some research and read some measurements to find something that's relatively neutral like the Etys without that deep ear rape fit.

PX200.

Ether Flow/C Flow, Focal Elear, HD800, ZMF Omni, there's a lot above $700 honestly. Less at the roughly $2k mark, although Sony just released a new closed headphone at $2.3k.

>tfw people buy these headphones as dick measuring contests
>tfw they suck

Some people definitely do, you meet those guys at events like Canjam a lot. I basically describe them as gear-fetishists

>tfw slowly going down this road with consumer electronics

I need a new hobby.

>want to buy some good headphones
>hipster chick at JB Hi-Fi asks if I need some help
>says headphones are her specialty
>ask her what she recommends since I'm after a pair of wireless headphones
>she tells me to buy the Marley Liberate XL since it has "great dynamics" and "earth-friendly"
>she was qt as fuck so I thought sure, why not
>it sounded decent at the store anyway
>finally get home to try it out
>tfw its absolute fucking trash

Help me out Cred Forums. Give me the best in wireless headphones. I'm in Aus and my budget is in between $100-$400

I have Sennheiser HD 558s, I like the soundstage, but the sound signature is getting old. I listen to a lot of black metal, which is naturally cold, so the warmth doesn't help.

Anything around $250 with more treble and bass for FUN listening, this warmth is getting old.

DT 770 PRO 80 OHM LIMITED EDITION

>HD800 is DF and gets shit on
>ER4 is DF and gets praised

wot
Am I missing something?

Wireless will always be trash, atleast for now

>HD800
>DF

LCD-2 is more DF than HD800.

>Budget
200$ hard limit
>Location
US
>Source
Sony stereo system, Phone,Laptop
I'm looking for over ear headphones
>Open or closed
Open I plan on using them during work so I want to be able to hear another person without having them shout
>Comfort level
I wear glasses but other than that I'm not too picky on comfort
>Preferred tonal balance
I like more neutral sounding headphones but I'm open to bassier cans if it helps I mostly listen to rap
>Past headphones
Solo HD
I had these a couple years back so I thought I'd list them the leather on them made my ears sweaty
Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear
I liked the size factor but I'm looking for an over ear set the materials and comfort were great to me and I liked it's clarity
Sennheiser 201s
Build Quality was meh to me and it never seemed loud enough

Those seem pretty good for $130, people say they're muddy though and more bass oriented. What's the best I can get for 2hundo?
youtu.be/e5skCVNlsJ0
here is a sample of the music

I'd prefer a pair that has an interchangeable wire

It's not muddy, quite literally the opposite, it's sub-bass oriented, it's actually recessed in the mud-area frequencies.

The DT770 is what you want and the best for around $200. It's a V-shaped frequency response. Does what the HD558 doesn't, and is a great compliment to it.

What the fuck am I listening to here?

HD558.

Great sounds good.

Black metal, lots of blast beats, trebly tremolo guitar picking, synchronized/harmonized bass, and screaming with an evil/cold atmosphere.

>Budget
Soft $250, less is always better
>Location
US
>Source
O2/ODAC
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Open, but doesn't matter as long as it sounds fine
>Comfort level
Balanced, nothing painful
>Preferred tonal balance
Past headphones is probably a better reference, but probably slightly warm or mid-centric
>Past headphones
HD598: Mids can be exciting, clarity is lacking, bass is nonexistent, a bit loose
HD600: Extremely clear, but too analytical/boring, like the clamp
DT770 80Ω: Clearer than 598's but mids suffer too much from the V shape

The budget is soft, but I'm trying to keep costs down and look for alternatives. I already know about the HD650's, but it's pricey, not that I've eliminated them entirely. K7xx any good, disregarding cheap Chinese plastic?

100USD (150 hard cap)

US

laptop

full size

open

preferably comfortable for 1-2 hour sessions

will be used for producing in a DAW so neutral tonal balance is a must

X2?

hd558

is the difference between the sennheiser 500 series as negligible as people say it is
im thinking about getting the hd518s since they are so much cheaper

I thought those were V-shaped

Actually, I'm getting a lot of mixed information. Some say warm, others v-shaped, others dark. Thanks for the recommendation; I was going to completely pass over these on the assumption they were v-shaped.

Does anyone have an honest and well founded opinion on the quality of the hyperx cloud sound quality? I've been bouncing back and forth between committing to just buying that for 70 bucks and getting a modmic and relatively cheap, comfy headphones for a shitload more.

I know headsets are frowned upon and all, but I've read that if you insist on getting one then you should make it this one.

Anyone with a ODAC here? As a O2+ODAC combo or without. Don't care. I wanna ask a question. Is there 24bit 88.2 kHz in your window or is it just me?

>inb4 someone tells me to fucking literally use 44.1 / 16bit
Don't care. Don't waste my time. Please answer honestly.

It's not frowned upon by the majority of people here, just some dipshit minority.

If you want to listen to lossless audio then wireless isn't the best choice for you, but for 320kbps mp3 files you won't notice a difference.

ODAC doesn't support 88.2kHz, just downsample it to 44.1kHz

That's what I thought so damn. Thanks man.

Lmao I got a generic (inki1) headset discounted last year. Sounds quality is like a slanted v. Great bass, weak mids, okay treble, but microphone is fantastic.

If hyper x is better than what I have(and it should be) then I'd say go for it.

it's you from /p/ee

>SE535 (the special edition).
I have my SE535s with the dampers changed to 330 Ohms and that makes them identical sounding to the SE. It boosts the upper midrange a little bit(two to three dB) but leaves the higher frequencies unaltered and doesn't do anything for the extension. They still sound dark. Without an equalizer there's no way around that and even with EQ their bandwidth is seriously poor. You can hear the lack of "air" in the response, there's really nothing past 10 KHz.

I also have ER-4PT/S and I much prefer both of their sound over the SE535.

go and return them
dont buy from JB
buy from actual headphone stores

hd 558
perfectly fits

>$200 AUD
Dayum....

Other alternatives are Sony MDR-7506 / V6. Or Audio Technica M40x/M50x.

so hpg, I've been looking at some AKG K240s on amazon for like $65. They look half decent, aren't too heavy, and I can get a better cable and some velour pads for like $20 more total. Is there some better choice?

I basically need over ears that are comfy enough for 5+ hour sessions. I don't mind if they're open or not. I don't have a headphone amp but I could look into getting one that's around $50 if it'll make a big difference. Tonally, I like generally balanced headphones, with decent bass, not nigga bass, and clear highs. Midrange-wise as long as it isn't muted all good.
Previous headphones are some beats studio limited edition dr dre thing that I got for $30 off some dumbass who thought they were broken b/c no bluetooth, some Sennheiser MM30i cheapo IEMs, and some Bose on ears that were comfy.
Not a massive audiophile, just want a decent pair of headphones that sound good, have decent sounstage, and are really comfy.

>Budget
$100. Can be a bit flexible, but don't want to go too high, as I also plan on getting a V-MODA BoomPro with it.
>Location
South America. Planning on buying it from Amazon.
>Source
PC. MSI Z97-G45 to be precise. It supposedly has an 'amp' (OPA1652), but I have no clue if it matters at all.
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
This is a top priority. I need something I can use for 8+ hours a day, and that doesn't hurt my ears when using glasses, a problem I had with past headphones.
>Preferred tonal balance
Don't really care to be honest. I listen to a lot of stuff, from hiphop, to electronic, vaporwave and anime/vidya shit.
>Past headphones
Currently own the original HyperX Cloud (basically a Takstar Pro 80) with some Brainwavz velour pads which I love, so compatibility with that is a huge plus.

I've searched around for the DT770 Pro, but Amazon doesn't sell them directly, so no international shipping, and I can just find really expensive 250 OHM versions locally. I really want to get it on Amazon because it's a lot easier for me because of how they work with customs when shipping internationally, and because I'm also buying more stuff alongside it.

Also forgot to mention, budget for cans is around $70-$100. And I'm not in the US but I'm buying from US amazon so as long as it's there all good.

I guess I'm stupid, but I figured out I can choose sellers, and Amazon does ship the DT770 Pro 80 OHM for $125. Is it plus that mic I mentioned a good purchase? How big is the upgrade from the HyperX Cloud I'm using right now?

So, the biss2 on my Denon's broke and vanished into the ether. Is there any chance I could salvage these with metal epoxy, or do I now have a worthless piece of trash on my hands?

or hp50

weird, I think filosofem is actually the best sounding album, probably because it actually has some bass and thick fuzz unlike the vast majority of black metal albums of the period which are all upper mids.

incredible sound for the price, like, actually one of the best sounding warm/bassy headphones, no joke. the fit, cup size, and unimpressive cable is what bothers most people. personally I find it comfortable, but the fit is a bit bad, and pad replacement or even stuffing is pretty much a no-no, fucks with the sound too much. you can add headband padding though. I hear cable mod is hard because there is very little room there in the cups. there is a somewhat simple mod that make the cups swivel to lie flat so it can fit is some hard cases.

Need headphones for commuting, to be plugged/used with a smartphone. Which of these 3?

amazon.com/Sennheiser-201-Lightweight-Over-Headphones/dp/B0007XJSQC

amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB450AP-Extra-Smartphone-Headset/dp/B00NBMHT6C

amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q30A1RI/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

sadly piston iii is no longer sold. Atleast on aliexpress.

that treble spike still looks nasty. the 681 evo has problems, but at least it doesn't have fatiguing treble like the 668b and 681 have.

or this one?
amazon.com/Bluedio-T2-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B00Q2UZ7MS

hd600 is df
hd800 has a broad arch through the mids into a dip into a treble spike.

owner here. x2 is v-shaped, though mildly so. it is not dark. you could loosely throw it into warm as well, like a mix of warm and mild v-shape. not fatiguing unless you can only listen to heavily warm headphones.

>hd600 is df
when will this meme end?

I bought the $30 one. we'll see.

(you) believe "people"?

770 is good. I listened to a few minutes of that on 770 w/ HA2 and they sounded so good I did not shoot up school or sacrifice to demon.

What's the best SPDIF Optical cable you can buy?

It depends on whether you like 10101010101 or 1111000011110000. FIll out the form, faggot.

>Budget
>Source
modi 2 uber

I need a SPDIF Optical cable because I don't want to use USB to DAC because my PC is noisy.

read this

epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

then buy this

monoprice.com/product?p_id=1419

If the timbre doesn't match the ambiance of your pinot noir, maybe try monster cable.

New Thread:

these look really comfy, but they'll definitely mess up my hair.