This is your daily reminder that the thinnest phone in the world has a 3.5mm headphone jack

This is your daily reminder that the thinnest phone in the world has a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Other urls found in this thread:

engadget.com/2010/04/28/the-floppy-disk-is-dead-and-apple-helped-kill-it/
mobiletechreview.com/phones/iPhone-7-iPhone-7-Plus-Review.htm
bgr.com/2016/09/20/iphone-7-headphones-jack-sound-test/
xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
youtube.com/watch?v=Fro0p5MlREk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

daily reminder that 3.5mm headphone jacks are obsolete ancient technology

OK but think of how much thinner it could be if it didn't!!!

Yeah, but does it have... courage?

daily reminder that as long as headphones continue to use a headphone jack it's not obsolete tech even though Apple wants you to believe otherwise and tries to lock you in their own expensive ecosystem

lol hi grandpa do you still use floppy disks LOL

Nobody uses floppy disks.
Millions uses 3.5mm

Fuck off retard

How comes the new MacBook has a 3.5mm jack? You fucking retard.

Spotted the LGBT faggot.

Audio = Analog. Why would anyone want a digital format? Because fuck using a proper DAC, let's just degrade the signal until it sounds like a animatronics' orgasm.

Let me know when they remove the headphone jack from every computer ever, and then we can talk.

Flies eat shit so what's your point gramps? Just because you and your millions of butt buddies enjoy dragon dildos doesn't mean I have to stick one up my ass.

>technology that is widely used across the industry is obsolete

1 obsolete
adjective ob·so·lete \ˌäb-sə-ˈlēt, ˈäb-sə-ˌ\
: no longer used because something newer exists : replaced by something newer
: no longer used by anyone

really makes you think

Hey shill, reply to

u sound a bit aggressive, anything going on in your life u wanna talk about

Thats the wrong definition retard.

In technology, obsolete is what Apple no longer uses.

Now that you mentioned that millions use 3.5mm and nobody uses floppy disks I must point out one of the earliest PC manufacturers that disregarded the floppy drive and was called stupid for it. Yeah it was Applel, grampa.
engadget.com/2010/04/28/the-floppy-disk-is-dead-and-apple-helped-kill-it/

Unfortunately the most powerful phone in the world by a gigantic margin does not.

Enjoy your dusty phone.

>be android pajeet nigger
>be too poor to afford a decent phone (aka iPhone)
>make thread on Cred Forums bragging about some useless gimmicky feature

every single day

Apple helped to move away from obsolete tech such as
>floppy
>CD/DVD
>and now 3.5mm

History repeats itself, people.

Audio transferring = all digital nowadays
So an audio DAC is still is every fucking phone and computer you mongloid

>iPhone has only one port
Confirmed faggot phone

They needed time to to build up some courage.

floppies were replaced with CDs, as they were superior
CDs were replaced with DVDs, as they were superior
DVDs were somewhat replaced by BD, at least in the world of media, because they were superior for that use

Now, how is not having jack superior to having a jack?
How is wireless technology superior if audio quality isn't anywhere near as good?

Not every DAC is equal, you pleb.
The dongle has clear quality degradation.

iPhone's audio quality is now better than ever so your point is moot.
mobiletechreview.com/phones/iPhone-7-iPhone-7-Plus-Review.htm
>Sound from the Lightning port to 3.5mm high quality headphones (via included adapter) has better stereo separation and more pronounced highs and bass, which is particularly good for movie soundtracks. The bass is a little heavy and that can make it less clear than your home stereo or the class-leading LG V20 with its crazy fantastic ESS Sabre 32 bit audio DAC. Compared to the outgoing iPhone 6s it sounds better and it matches the HTC 10 that has better than average smartphone audio. Apple uses the same Apple/Cirrus Logic 338S00105 Audio IC and Codec as the iPhone 6s, but they appear to be using new amps with the 2 Cirrus Logic 338S00220 audio amplifiers. The Lightning port can output 24 bit audio, while 3.5mm is limited to CD quality 16 bit.

>>Implying niggers don't buy iPhones
>>Implying the gold standard for audio playback is a gimmick

Go back to your cave, negroid.

>The Lightning port can output 24 bit audio, while 3.5mm is limited to CD quality 16 bit.

>measuring analog audio in bits

holy fuck

>History repeats itself, people.

your mom's about to get gang-raped by niggers again

>Now, how is not having jack superior to having a jack?
also if no jack was superior people would've been using wireless solutions for a long time despite the port being there. floppies were phased out after a long period of people having both floppy and CD drives. DVD was phased out long after most people had stopped using them regularly. neither one of these changes caused much of a reaction because the consumer needs and wants preceded the industry reactions. this time it's the opposite.

I like my phones thicc.
Pushing such idealist beauty standards is disgusting.

Only people here seem to think its about thickness. Apple never said shit about changing dimensions, why are you people so indulged in delusions?

Flash is objectively superior to floppy disks. What's the objectively superior alternative to the 3.5mm jack?

Nice subjective test there. Here's a real benchmark:

>>The results are clear: with an iPhone 6S, the dynamic range worsens by 4.5 dB(A) for 24-bit music files. For the iPad Air, it worsens by 3.8 dB(A). The signal also gets worse for 16-bit music files, even if they aren’t that drastic: the dynamic range worsens by 1.8 dB(A) and 3.1 dB(A) for the iPhone and iPad, respectively.

pic related, it's the full test.

sauce: bgr.com/2016/09/20/iphone-7-headphones-jack-sound-test/

I'm pretty happy if we can get rid of shitty phone DACs and let headphone manufacturers build their own inside the headphones. Lightning port doesn't really fit into this and should be replaced with USB-C. It feels really counterproductive they left that in since if other phone manufacturers mimic this with type C and it does become a standard, apple is fucked with that shitty port that can't accept new USB-C connecting headphones and so are the few manufacturers that made lightning headphones.

>wireless audio
>better than wired
Oh wow I wonder why all these professional recording studios use wires then!

>The Lightning port can output 24 bit audio, while 3.5mm is limited to CD quality 16 bit.
Are you retarded or some shit? I have a 24-bit external DAC with a 3.5mm jack.

Don't call my motherfu a retard.

I'm confused as well, where did the reviewer pull that bullshit from?

>an analog port is limited to a certain bitrate
I swear, nothing gets my day going like Macfags spouting marketing they don't understand.

Of course you get shitty results if you use the included adapter. You need to buy a platinum plated one from monster cables and it doubles your dynamic range.

Well, depending on the form factor, would headphone manufacturers be able to even fit a decent DAC onboard?

>not using diamond plated lightning cables, ensuring the clearest sound and hardest metal known to man

>that last sentence
Macfags are so fucking retarded holy shit it's unbelievable.

The whole point is bandwidth retard.

I think I saw a couple of DAC/Amp combos on Head-Fi that were said to be pretty good, but upwards of 100$

we've always known it's been the camera (that's why it sticks out in your pic)
(Think apple said it was old and needed to go but idk)

>bandwidth on an analog port
You're the gift that keeps on giving, user.

the point is nonsensical, so is yours

>>not using the clearly superior carbon nanotube plated lightning cables

Enjoy your inferior products, poorfags.

you guys just made me want to read the article, you are literally plugging in a speaker, the dac is done... The internet is so much misinformation now, how come no one has said shit on the comments though?

L O W C O U R A G E
O
W

C
O
U
R
A
G
E

>24-bit

Monster is the entry level, you need to buy Beats made by the same company if you really want to be accepted at school.

Holy fuck, that's some trash DAC they have in there.
Pretty sure a $2 aliexpress DAC has a better quality.

Lol

Adapter is the dac. Iphone doesn't have a dac now.

why do we need phones so thin anyway

How old where you when Apple dumped adb and scsi for usb ?

>Everyone ITT has golden ears

Meanwhile my moto g 2014 is pretty fucking sweet.

I don't think people are objecting dropping the headphone jack because of the worse audio quality. They're saying it's shit for practical reasons AND apple fanboy's defense of higher audio quality isn't even true.

mini-xlr

Reminder that I couldn't possibly give less of a shit, thin phones are retarded

yes, my mixing board still takes them. i also know people who's cnc machines still take them.

It's not obsolete. It's actually quite functional, since audio signal has to be converted to analog eventually

>BUT APPLE SAID SO
Yeah just like ethernet is obsolete because apple said so. What are they running icloud with? A meshnet of mac minis? Lol no, it's wired linux/bsd servers.
And local storage is obsolete, like having crappy terminals and powerful shared mainframes isn't the EXACT past we just desperately tried to escape from

Jesus Christ, kill it with fire

>remove the 3.5 for an adapter to make phones "thinner"

samsung tried this before. they even removed half the battery and put it in a removable case.

but now you can buy a super high quality DAC for $6000

it made the market better

audio quality really matters, fuck convenience and economical devices, spending more is better for the economy, lrn2 economy

apple: savior of chinese manufacturing

Floppies were on their way out long before that.

>spending more is better for the economy, lrn2 economy
shut the fuck up you kenyesian retard

>Cut-off frequency for a higher sample rate file is lower.

WTF is going on here? You can use the exact same reconstruction filter at 96kHz as you do at 44.1kHz. It really makes me question whether or not whoever ran that test knew what they were doing. That and the fact that they think "Dynamics" is an electrical measurement.

yeah, these guys are lame and so not brave/courageous for keeping it on
what shits

>le broken window

>buying a DAC
>not choosing master race iPod gen 3 for its top quality Wolfson DACs and just sticking a flash drive in there
wew lad

These are the people giving advice on Cred Forums.

Yes goy, ancient technology, we dont need something that everyone uses. Its old, goy

>please do

>Applefags will defend this

Millions of people want one of these phones so badly that they are selling their organs in China to obtain them.

99% of people use the headphones which come with the phone, user, so for most buyers this isn't a big deal at all. They'll see that it **COMES WITH WHITE WIRELESS APPLE EARBUDS** and that'll be the end of it.

Enjoy your flimsy piece of shit Droid.

I can still buy floppy disks.

>but now you can buy a super high quality DAC for $6000
And Apple makes money off it because of the Lightning connector royalties!

damn that looks nice af
i wish the us still had dumbphones as nice as china and jp do

>being bent outta shape

>They'll see that it **COMES WITH WHITE WIRELESS APPLE EARBUDS** and that'll be the end of it.
But it doesn't. It comes with a Lightning version of the earbuds.

You have to buy the wireless ones separately.

>Alienates 99% of users
>New version it's better
Courage?

is courage the new buzzword for stupid?

you can quantify analog noise in bits.
xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
wow, the adapter is below average, who would have thought!

transmission medium is irrelevant for digital audio, for analog audio only wires make sense if you really care about quality for obvious reasons.

What's wrong with 2.5mm?

>you can't even use the earbuds with other phones etc. because they don'T have apples shitty lightning connector
wew

Fucking hell, lost all my respect for Mobiletechreview. What a fucking dumb piece of shit.

You could probably get away with 1mm if you made a quality durable jack.

If you have ever tried or accidentally break a 3.5mm jack from headphones from dollar general you will know how cheap they are and how cheap they could not be.

When was that, the G4? I was around 20

floppy disks and zip disks remained a painless alternative to expensive and incompatible flash media for years after Apple stopped shipping Macs with them

the majority of consumer systems outside of trendy overpriced hipster shit still ship standard with optical drives

so where's the death of the 3.5mm jack again???

>Fucking hell, lost all my respect for Mobiletechreview.
So they don't align with your prejudice?
Have you ever done any listening tests yourself? No, of course not.

You don't need to taste shit to see that it's shit. Apple is widely known for having the shittiest sound quality of any phone, and no equaliser just another kick in the nuts, that's if macfags actually have any nuts of course.

>99% of people use the headphones which come with the phone, user
>source: my projecting ass
earpods are uncomfortable garbage that leak sound like shit and most people just use whatever they had before, either low end over ears or dollar store earbuds when the earpods inevitably break

>Yfw ten year old iPods have better DACs than modern phones

No they don't, iFuck.

It was a cut at new iPhones too trigger lord

>Have you ever done any listening tests yourself?
anything that's not a blind ABX is irrelevant, audio is highly subjective

>remove 3.5mm jack to make the phone thinner
>phone doesn't get any thinner

Hey, at least you guys have another kewl adapter to carry with you everywhere.

>Apple killed their own ADB interface that only they used 18 years ago
>thus they can kill a 40+ year old interface literally everyone uses today

They didn't even dump SCSI, by the way, they just stopped integrating it on board. You could configure any pre-G5 power mac with SCSI cards and drives if you wanted.

anyone can buy an iphone, i see poor people lease that shit from tmobile all the time
>Go back to your cave, negroid.
I laughed at this more than I should have.

I'm not advocating earbuds, just going by observation.

so am I though, I rarely see anyone using the stock buds, or at least a less significant portion than those using third party products

The problem is that there are some inaccuracies in their review when it comes to audio.

Analog isn't passed through the Lightning connector, which means that the onboard DAC and amps only affect the onboard speakers, so when they are reviewing the sound from the headphones, the DAC and amps they list mean nothing.

Secondly, the DAC in the Lightning connector is the same as in the iPhone6S which means you're looking at the same audio quality.

Then you have even more misguided reviews like this
>By taking out the 3.5mm jack, Apple is removing the need for these two components [DAC and amp]. The lightning port and lightning input are both digital, so the phone does not need a DAC any more.

We also have this review
youtube.com/watch?v=Fro0p5MlREk
Which makes a few basic errors, but has measured data.

how do the modern dumbphones look over there?

I can find the iPhone6S/7/adapter DACs for sale but I can't find a datasheet for them anywhere.
Are they just another Cirrus Logic chip running under a different name?

no it doesnt lol

That would be true if we all existed in hermetically sealed Faraday cages. If this kind of wireless headphone technology becomes widespread how many people can listen to music in the same area without major data loss? On paper, sure, Bluetooth supports 25Mbps but it's adding yet more contention to the 2.4Ghz band. I have Bluetooth speakers at home and about 1 meter is how far I can put my device from the receiver before the audio starts skipping thanks to signal attenuation and with more devices relying on Bluetooth for data transfer that's only going to get worse.

What advantages does a thin phone have?

(2/2)

shitty thick flipphones from 2005 with upgraded boot animations.

Old fag here. Not going to get another iPhone until they release new models with a jack. I suspect there will be future SE models that will retain the jack. For now, just going to hold on to my 6. Maybe I'll get a 6s when I'm due for a new work phone.

Told my totally normal fag musician friend iPhone 7 has no iPhone jack, he was disgusted, even more so than myself.

oh, yeah, bandwith issues apply. BUT if you can provide full bandwidth(which is pretty low, some 100kb/s) and a completely stable connection, then a wireless connection is equivalent to a wire connection for digital data. I mean, for analog data every cable etc. degrades the data slightly, while most digital carriers are perfect. But yeah, wireless isn't reliable in practice.

One port to rule them all. One port find them. One port to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

NanoEthernet port when?

the thinner it is the closer it is to a blade that you can cut your wrists with :^)

More fragile.

>People seriously believing Apple took out the 3.5mm port for any other reason than selling you their shitty AirPods or Beats.

Applefags cucked again!

the only thing iphone is good for is facetiming braindead girls.

which you can do with an iphone 6 on pre-paid

literally no reason to ever upgrade to ios10 or upgrade to iphone 7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16

Easier to have break in time for the next iPhone release.

Also smaller batteries with less cells will eat up their cycles faster, killing battery life just in time for the next iPhone release.

Phone thinness race is nothing more than a scam to get more money in the long run, it has added nothing of value to phones for the past 8 years.

>Make phone thin
>Have camera stick out

Why can't they just make it that thick everywhere and have a larger battery?

I'll get rid of all my audio equipment if you can produce wireless headphones that are on par or better than MDR-7506 for under $100.

Yes, but the thing is, the replacements for floppy disks were legitimate improvements, whereas wireless headphones are an objectively worse product. They require batteries, unlike wired headphones, they look retarded, and they are subject to wireless interference.

It's 4.75mm, not 4.85 mm you retard

Get a different phone you retard

Reminder that Apple's thinnest iPhone has a 3.5mm jack as well!

>this is what apple fanboys actually believe

iphone 8 won't have a camera(who the fuck needs that shit, just use a wireless camera). iphone 9 won't have a battery(who the fuck needs that shit, just keep it connected to a powerbank all the time). iphone 10 won't have lightning port(who the fuck needs that shit, just slap a battery case with wireless charging on it). iphone 11 will be an empty box - you're buying an idea, not an actually useful device anyway.

I finally found someone who knows the glory of the MDR!

he's conflicted abt his iFag 7 forcing him to throw away his ath-meme50x's

>has better stereo separation and more pronounced highs and bass

I'm going to be to old to take a piss by myself, and still hear shit like this

>so the phone does not need a DAC any more.

We can finally download sounds to our ears

When they make a wireless interface capable of FLAC grade bitrates, improve interference tolerance and start making wireless BA IEMs that can also be effortlessly connected to laptops/desktops, then and only then I'll consider using wireless headphones. And they should have over ear bands(luckily, non-Apple brands figured this one out).

>When they make a wireless interface capable of FLAC grade bitrates

I hope you mean as a trivial convenience

But I know you don't and you're a retard

For stable playback there should be buffering. And for that the protocol's bitrate should exceed music's bitrate. And higher bitrate leaves more room for error correction. But let's be honest, playing flacs without converting wouldn't hurt.

jews would be for ancient tech. they shill for antique farming equipment all the time.

headphone jack port is shit though and was never meant for mobile use. i listen to music on my walk to uni and the port on my phone is shit that my left earbud never works unless you put pressure on the port on one side. the headphones themselves are fine bu the ancient connection tech is shit.

Hey guys, IMO we should get rid of SATA sockets/cables in favour of wireless storage in desktop computers.

Sounds like you don't take care of your shit kiddo. A 1/4 inch jack wasn't made for mobile use, the smaller 3.5mm version is.

the jack bends in my skinny jean pockets.they can't coexist with modern fashion.

>fashion

yeah but courage

Thinness is great for phone manufacturers/businesses because they have significantly lower structural integrity and so they break much easier. This is planned so that you will spend more money of phones. Only a moron would buy a phone that was less than 7cm in thickness :^)

How is bluetooth "Apple's own expensive ecosystem"?

I've been using bluetooth headphones long before I bought my iPhone. This really shouldn't be an issue for normal people. However iPhone 7 isn't much of an upgrade in any other way either. If you own an iPhone there really is no reason to upgrade to 7.

However if they next bring new SE I'd be really tempted to get a smaller phone.

They only shill things they could make money from. Jews wouldn't shill 3.5mm, they can't make money from it, no matter how you look at it. They do, however, have a lot to gain from licensing out digital connectors and fragmenting out the market between Android devices and iPhones.

Its perfect

>no one uses floppys
fuck you i still do

>skinny jeans

Whats that? A retarded weeb? Impossible.

"we don't need DAC anymore cause we can send digital data straight to your brain with no form of conversion. We at Apple, also record audio with no microphones because fuck transductors they're obsolete right ?. We also have this neat camera that doesn't let light in cause we dont use sensors either." ULTRALUL keked so hard

wtf I'm so fucking angry about apple now

Yes it fucking does. This is Cred Forums.

Floppy was made obselete by CD's
CD's were made obselete by DVD's and media streaming
DVD's were made obselete by Video streaming

Apple had nothing to do with these. Fucking kill youself iShit.

>DVD
>made obsolete by streaming
>implying that wasn't bluray
>implying streaming will ever make bluray obsolete
>implying bitrates on streaming are that good
>implying data limits don't exist
>implying isps aren't jews
>implying implications
>implying
>

But you're right. Analog sound will literally never, EVER be replaced, so it's retarded to remove 3.5 from phones, it's just straight up jewish tricks.

blueray is slow and dvs hold little space, plus once you write on a disc you can just delete it and still have the space

another reason why streaming should be a basic human need. apple is heading in the right direction for the future of the human race with getting rid of things similar to cds.

>implying Blu-ray phased out anything

wew lad

Downloading > Streaming
Having data for yourself > Relying on someone else's computer to serve you that data
As a direct result of this, I would have to argue that bluray is inherently better than any streaming service.

I have no idea what you're trying to say about deleting data on a disc, what do you even mean?

Also
>streaming
>a basic human need
t. Pampered, sheltered kid who's probably never seen a poor person in his life.
Let's get one thing straight here, this is Cred Forums - Consumer Technology, nothing is a "basic human need", everything should be discussed in relation to basic consumer rights.

Fuck off pajeet

if you delete data of a disc it doesn't free up the space, it's gone forever. the data tho in streaming is always in the air. plus, computers that depend on streaming tend to be more aesthetically pleasing :333

>data limits
In what a third-world shithole do you reside, my friend?

I really don't see a point in making phones so freaking thin, really, what's the point?
OK, I get it, having a brick in your pockets sucks ass, but fuck... It's becoming an obsession that is hurting more than helping.

If you willingly pay for something you don't have any 'rights'. You had the right to buy it or not.

I use floppy diskettes, Mister.

You don't take care of anything do you?

My 15 dlls 3 years old sony headphones are still going strong and use them everyday while also walking to uni.

Even if blu-ray is better streaming has made blu-ray almost obsolete on the mass consumer market since it's convinient.

I think it was called 'Australia'

Newer != Better