Technology meme discussion thread

When did you realize that desktop Linux is just a meme?

You're projecting your inadequacies.

This thread isn't about me.

>if more people use it, then it must be better
Nice appeal to popularity

Yet Linuxfags use this exact argument for Android every day on Cred Forums.

BTFO

androidfags are retarded what´s your point?

Androidfags are Linuxfags because Android is Linux, faggot.

People can tell you're same fagging in all these anti-Linux threads.

I bet you're not even getting paid, which indicates that you must just be a butt hurt wincuck whose projecting his operating systems inadequacies onto Linux.

The fact that you spend your time on Cred Forums bashing other operating systems is pathetic.

Maybe once you grow up and switch to Linux you'll get a real job. I have to go to work now.

so we can´t distinguish archfags and debianfags and ubuntu fags?
linux is not some giant blob of an operating system that has the same quality in every case

>an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means.
I picked Linux up on myself, out of curiosity towards technology.
I do not think it qualifies as a meme.

Android is the most popular OS on smartphones.
Windows is the most popular OS on desktops.
Linux is good.
On smartphones and desktops.
Clearly there is no correlation between popularity and quality. Only between availability and popularity.

>Linux is good.
>On smartphones and desktops.

No it's not. It's a meme on desktops, you fucking faggot.

Why is it a meme? Explain

>Android is linux

Linux is Linux you utter fucking moron. Android just depends on linux.

Also

>linux
>Striving to be a desktop OS

Devs aren't really too concerned about this vs having good foss software. mostly there's just the kids who just tried mint shouting "the year of linux desktop" or "How can we get more normies on linux it's actually pretty good." Devs don't really give a shit evident by how much development there is with still such a small amount of the market share.

It's because windows comes preinstalled on almost every fucking computer.

Devs aren't really too concerned about this vs having good foss software. mostly there's just the kids who just tried mint shouting "the year of linux desktop" or "How can we get more normies on linux it's actually pretty good." Devs don't really give a shit evident by how much development there is with still such a small amount of the market share.

Not according to Torvalds.

>I still want the desktop because I am a butthurt autist nigger!

>uses the linux kernel
>not linux

Dumb motherfucker.

Torvalds doesn't develop the majority of software for desktops. He just does kernel work. Again android utilizes the kernel, so does arch. Big deal. Most of the people actually developing software for desktops aren't too concerned with market share because again, the amount of development and diversity in OSs is ridiculously high with whatever small portion of the market they have.

The kernel goes into every desktop you fucking retard.

>he doesn't run a kernel-less gentoo

lmao!!

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

And separate developers work on the framework for actual development of the DESKTOP software. They're not so concerned is my fucking point

The kernel is DESKTOP software, you fucking FAGGOT.

And to add to this:

Android is very different from the GNU/Linux operating system because it contains very little of GNU. Indeed, just about the only component in common between Android and GNU/Linux is Linux, the kernel. People who erroneously think “Linux” refers to the entire GNU/Linux combination get tied in knots by these facts, and make paradoxical statements such as “Android contains Linux, but it isn't Linux.” Absent this confusion, the situation is simple: Android contains Linux, but not GNU; thus, Android and GNU/Linux are mostly different, because all they have in common is Linux.

You obviously don't work in IT to know how clueless majority of the population is towards computers

I'm 4th year CS you clueless NIGGER.

91% of people are interested in celebrity news too

Drumpf is a celebrity. Are you interested in him?

Are you the same retard from the other threads claiming Android is not Linux? Get an education or gtfo.

Woah. Your QI is so low there is no amount of education that can save you.
Meanwhile $0 is spent to advertise GNU/Linux, we are only using it because it's good.

Billions of dollars are spent advertising Android and Chrome OS. Try again nigger.