I have on old 11 inch laptop that has 32 Gb of memory. What Linux distro should I install on it just for fun...

I have on old 11 inch laptop that has 32 Gb of memory. What Linux distro should I install on it just for fun? I've never used Linux before.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

p-please respond

It's been five fucking minutes, shut the hell up.

Whatever it is, don't use GNOME. That will be terrible on a tiny screen. If you've never used Linux, then just get Ubuntu or elementary or whatever that Chinese botnet was called.

How technical of a person do you consider yourself? How much time do you want to spend "tinkering" with your system.
I think Arch Linux is the best Linux distro due to the AUR and relatively good package manager. However, installing it for the first time can feel like a mountain of a task. In reality, it's pretty simple once you are familiar with the different parts of your system.

Ubuntu mate

Almost same, 64gb SATA, around 500mb of it is dedicated to video memory. Installed FreeBSD with XFCE.

It's not like you're gonna use it for real work, so might as well play around with it

How does a laptop even have 32gb of ram?

By accepting two 16GiB SODIMMs?

he said memory

Memory means RAM.

Which isn't storage...

no

storage is secondary memory

arch arch arch

>random access memory
You're a fucking retard. When people say memory, they mean RAM. Unless they meant to say storage, which is probably what OP did.

my bad I thought I was in a technology forum not in bestbuy

What in the everliving fuck are you on about, retard?

FreeBSD

unless you're doing computer science

but for real on Cred Forums knowing the difference between memory and storage is a bit much.

Be sure to get your Windows license key off first.

Please be real

Are you really saying that people on a technology image board shouldn't have a basic understanding of technology terminology?

I'm saying that they have the BASIC UNDERSTANDING and not a good understanding.

If they don't know the difference between memory and storage they do not have a basic understanding of technology.

Nice thesis statement, Artie.

Or they understand that memory and storage are the same thing with slightly different properties. The actual usage can vary even on modern PCs. Ramdisk/swap space.

When you're dealing with a software and hardware side of things you mostly see addresses/pages/etc and only deal with the practicality of RAM/disks outside of the computation.

>64gb SATA
Unless you're using a paging file that big on an SSD, that isn't memory you fucking retard.

Regardless memory means RAM.
>The actual usage can vary even on modern PCs. Ramdisk/swap space.
RAM being used for a RAMdisk is still RAM and storage being used for SWAP is still storage.

Welcome to Linux, friend.

Given your machine consider Xubuntu, ElementaryOS if you come from an OSX background, or Mint if you are more comfortable with Windows.

It might be wise to try any of these in a Virtual Machine on your main computer if it is beefier in terms of storage, RAM, and processor. Virtual Machines allow you to create snapshots of the system which can provide an easy "undo" button as you tinker with a new operating sysrem. Just play with it at first as you will break things and find problems that you can't quite fix yet as a new user. Throwing up your hands and going for a fresh reinstall is a valid thing to do when learning.

Frustration is normal! Don't bang your head against a wall and give up, just set the problem aside and come back to it later when your patience is restored.

Good luck!

and ROM? I mean you're being really arbitrary and autistic about it, what you're talking about is a common use case of the chips but not the only one. Cred Forums is limited to the 'lol pcpartpicker link' and consumer electronics contexts but it doesn't change the fact that it's only one shitty aspect of the technologies.

Now as far as OP he's probly some brazillian huehue who doesn't even speak the english good and he doesn't understand the intricacies, you're just antagonistic and purposely dense. For shame.

We have terminology and acronyms for a reason asshole. If everyone went around simply saying memory when they refer to RAM, ROM, and hard drives/SSDs, nobody would know what the other was talking about.

>Yeah muh $200 chromebook has 16 gigs of memory.
>that's your SSD faggot

*eMMC

>Random Access Memory
>Memory doesn't mean RAM

Uh. Wut?

>HDD
>Hard Disk Drive
>SSD
>Solid State Drive
>Neither are called "Memory"

I think you're pretty dumb, user.

What you have is context with a very basic level understanding requirement. People who can differentiate between a simple 'best buy' tier context and a deeper theoretical/hardware context have a better understanding.

>16gigs of physical memory
>I'll assume it's volatile mutable random-access physically (and probably virtually addressed in software) semiconductor chips on a MMU on the board rather than through some primarily disk-focused bus

It's not RAM that I'm speaking of.

Just install ubuntu, try with i3wm (you just install regular ubuntu and then you can install i3wm from there)

Also, the first thing you should do is to run the following command in your terminal:

echo "alias linux=\"
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
\"
" >> ~/.bashrc

Oops, that's
echo "alias linux=echo \"
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
\"
" >> ~/.bashrc

And now you see why we use "storage" when referring to hard drives, CD/DVD, USB drives, and SSDs. The only time you could call an SSD or USB drive "memory" is when you're using it as a paging file/swap space. Your "deep understanding" only shows that you're more autistic than anyone here because you can't differentiate between use cases.

The only time a normal basic-tier understanding PC (a subset of computer) says those things, yes.

lol I fucked both of these up
echo "alias linux=\"echo \\\"
\\\" \"
" >> ~/.bashrc

>PC (a subset of computer)
Okay, you really are autistic.

You really are Cred Forums - consumer electronics

Depends on the model, my Chromebook has an SSD.

Sure m8.

Quiet now, the tech "gurus" will just say "it isn't a real SSD!"

I'm sorry that I messed up and said memory instead of storage. I conflated the words because I wasn't thinking I'm sorry.

They can say that all they want, mPCIe SSDs are still SSDs.

I want v to leave for their gaming board.

Don't apologize m8. Just call autistic and you're forgiven.

I find gnome easy to use with small screen.
Put one program per screen and your good
1) vim
2) gcc
3) ddd
pretty comfy for asm dev

You're autistic.

>Fun
>Linux
Sorry...

In all seriousness, install Gentoo.

Puppy Linux

Well OP here I was going to do Ubuntu but the God Emperor said it was free as in freedom.

Guess I won't be installing steam.

>Puppy

Ubuntu isn't free as in freedom.

slackware my man

>
I did a typo.

32 Gb is only 4 GiB
Install GNU
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

*Install Linux

Hey OP what's your laptop's model?
I want to buy a little cheap laptop but I remember them being extremely slow, how long does it take to boot?
Can you do basic stuff with it or do you have the urge to throw it out the window every time you touch it?

Linux is just a kernel and not very useful without GNU

Install Plan 9

Linux is a colloquialism used for operating systems based on the Linux kernel. Get checked for autism, you almost surely have it.

hp streambook and dell inspiron 11

they both are strong enough they just need more memory. one of the reason I'm trying to run this on linux is to see if I have enough space to install: office, and the bloated slut that is matlab

>not very useful without GNU
>what is Android

Android has GNU actually

Just because it says GNU doesn't mean GNU anything is present. This thing has absolutely zero GNU software and still says that.
# uname -a
Linux (none) 2.6.31--LSDK-9.2.0_U10.5.13-GST-A4 #8 Mon Aug 26 14:35:32 CST 2013 mips GNU/Linux

>memory can't mean storage
Wow Cred Forums is retarded