How decent is third party support for this thing today, and how good is it at light web browsing?

How decent is third party support for this thing today, and how good is it at light web browsing?

Try it in a VM to see if it does what you want.

No advantage over XP back when I used both. You can find custom editions on torrent sites. Since you aren't retarded enough to do online banking etc no worries about using them.

i thought win2k was better than XP, but when XP came along win2k got kicked to the curb by everyone, just shows how dumb the majority of the windows users are, i have since abandoned windows almost completely, i keep one laptop with win7 on it but i never allow it to ever connect to the internet, i just use it for one purpose, to run SDR radio software, (because Linux sucks in the SDR software department, windows sucks too but just not as much, and mac sucks worse than both Linux and windows

>third party support for a deprecated, buggy, 16 year old OS
You tell me.

windows2000 dot tk/updates/

You seem to have no clue.

Latest version of Firefox you're getting is 3.6. (Maybe 4 or 5, but don't hold your breath.) You're not getting Git or Python or even the GCC on there.

It's a shame, because Win2K is probably the best version of Windows. It's just missing a few XP-specific kernel features. If you head to MSFN there's some Japanese guy trying to patch those in, but I've never gotten it to work.

I've never tried it out nor do I know where to get the files but apparently you can patch Win2k for XP compatibility

>light web browsing
if you really just intend to turn some old dumpster-tier box into a dedicated shitposting machine, you'd do better with xubuntu or something among those lines.

OP here. I'm trying to decide what OS to use on my weak as piss ME computer.

How old, specifically? Which processor? How much RAM?

700 MHz duron
Around 300 RAM

That could run XP. But if the board supports it, I'd recommend picking up an Athlon XP. They're not that expensive.

I'd tried XP sp3, but it ran like shit.

2k runs OKAY on a p2 333mhz with 192mb ram but youre only getting firefox 12 for a browser.

Unmodified Windows 2000 can run up to the Opera 12.10 beta, much newer than Fx 12. There's some mod you can do where you can run up to Opera 12.18 and Fx 47, if not newer versions as well.

Just use Damn Small Linux.

I wanna make it a nostalgia box.

Damn Small Linux with Window Maker then, senpai

get win9x if you want nostalgia or even win3x if you want ancient nostalgia

>wants to browse the web
>worried about Win2k's support
>tells him to use even more outdated operating systems
You're not very bright, are you?

I tried ME and 98se. I had issues getting drivers to work for some of my stranger hardware.

>nostalgia
>modern freetard shit

>be me
>used to use 98 desktop
>couldn't connect shit
>realize xp drivers could
>put xp drivers on 98 computah
Why upgrade?

>>put xp drivers on 98 computah
You can't do that. XP is NT-based and 98 is 9x-based. Entirely different driver model. NT won't take VXDs and 9x won't take SYS drivers.

Are you an SDR enthusiast?

Have you tried gqrx? I know its worse than sharp sdr fkr windows, but still.

Try a BSD

>wondering what the hell I did to my computah

I knew 73 year old electrical engineer who was running it on a circa 2003 laptop in 2015. He used to come to the university and chat with students.

you will be fine with 512MB RAM, literally lightweight as fuck when customized

Dude you'll make your life a lot easier if you use XP. Use nLite and strip some crap out so it's lightning fast and you are good.

2000 wasn't for the home user, it's NT so 9x stuff won't run well (it was the last NT OS before XP merged the 9x and NT platforms).

xp got nothing from 9x that 2000 didn't already have
xp is also nt-based

but yea, an nlited xp will be just as light as 2000, and easier to work with as more things only have xp in mind

Anyone else think the 95/2000 theme is the comfiest? I'm still using it on win 7

I have 'classic theme' !