SpaceX Thread

Elon Musk talks about how we're going to Mars.

Livestream: youtube.com/watch?v=A1YxNYiyALg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qPQQwqGWktE
youtu.be/A1YxNYiyALg?t=1h28m10s
youtu.be/A1YxNYiyALg?t=41m55s
google.com/search?q=elon musk terraforming mars
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Elon looks scruffy.

Why does he always stutter? I every video of him I've seen he always stutter.

Because he's an actual sperg?

if Musks autistic we all are

would the first colony on mars be called muskogee?

that refill sequence was orgasmic

>100 people per ship
Nice

>We need on the order of 1,000 ships to reach the million person threshold.

>Expecting 20 to 50 total Mars rendezvous, or 40 to 100 years to achieve a fully sustaining colony on Mars.

>40 to 100 years to achieve a fully sustaining colony on Mars

But I could be dead by then

Hurry up Elon, I need Earth 2 before I'm dead

Get rich and be on one of the first trips idiot.

WASTE OF FUCKNG TIME AND MONEY

They should be putting our brains in computers.

maybe they should get the not exploding on the launch pad thing down first

>tfw you won't be alive for the mars independence war

But I'm poor and lazy

>They should be putting our brains in computers.
honestly sign me up

This...biological human immortality.

Age reversal. Mars can wait...we need THIS.

>to Mars
>can barely leave the planet

Yeah, sure.

I wish I'm still alive when the first human steps on Mars.

he's a successful sperg, if that makes a difference

from africa* nonetheless

I don't know if he's a scam artist or just a naive dumbass.

Frictional Games pls

42 engines holy shit!!!!!!111

>thruster returns to carry refuelling vehicle into orbit
>explodes on the launchpad
>refuelling vehicle is destroyed
>passenger craft explodes on re-entry

who is we

If my consciousness also gets transferred, I'm all for it!

M-muskville

holy shit but how about the 100 people now stuck on the ship on space
kek

tfw played soma

>passenger craft explodes on re-entry

>Steal underpants
>???
>PROFIT

the absolute madman

Reminds me of the lost in space movie from the late 90's with Joey from Top Gear

You think they're just going to make one refueling vehicle? They're going to make a fleet of them.

>tfw he's the real life Peter Weyland

>tfw it will be other (You)
>Endless shitposting

he said himself it takes 5-6 trips for a full refuel.

that means both the thruster and the refuelling vehicle have to successfully launch and re-enter that many times over the course of a week or two and do it flawlessly.

sure they'll get better at it over time but i doubt they'll be able to make a 'fleet' of these things to start.

a few failures on those two modules and program dies.
one failure which kills everyone on board kills the program instantly, unless they have a dozen or so successful launches behind them.

i have a great idea for a cartoon
Biker Musks from mars

kek'd

Blue origin will beat them Mars.
They are years ahead with their rockets.

>>retard here
Whats stopping us from doing an orbital elevator or just launching a long ass hose into space so refueling can take place that way.

we anime nowe

That's needs more political backing than monetary backing

last i heard they'd given up on using carbon nanotubes for building something like that because current production methods aren't good enough. i don't know if there's a competing material.

this nigga seriously has a plan to go to europa

>it would be really great to do missions to Europa specifically
I understood that reference

youtube.com/watch?v=qPQQwqGWktE

>turn on the stream 55 minutes later
>some guy is like 90% stuttering, 10% saying words
Poor guy

holy kek this guy

>they give the mic to a fucking hippie

I was always wondering if we got a hose out there that connected to a land base would you need a thruster to stabilize it in space as the earth spins or would it just move with the rotation of the earth once in orbit? and lol at the guy asking about shitting on mars.

>SHITSTORM

this nigga needs to come off the drugs before asking questions

>there's going to be a lot of SHIT on mars
kek

Wow I don't even

>MASSIVE SHITSTORM

this shit needs some quality assurance

What is this crowd

fuck this nigga

HEY ELON, HERE'S MY COMIC BOOK

They let in everyone like wtf i know hes a down to earth guy *kek* but some guy wanted to throw a comic book on stage

i imagine you'd need to lock it at the other end using a geostationary satellite (perhaps multiple geo-sats along the way for structural stability)

i suppose it would be infeasible to constantly maintain thrusters on the rest of the structure. the material the thing is built out of would have to just provide the rest of the structural integrity.

radiation is not too big of a deal

Who cares about Mars, where is my fucking Concorde?

20 years ago you could travel from New York to London in 2 hours 52 minutes and 59 seconds!!

Now this meme man is talking about going to mars, meanwhile we still don't have a supersonic airliner.

There is economic incentive to go to mars but no to travel much faster around the earth like we did before the 9/11? REALLY?

"Elon will you listen to my mixtape? Shit's fire yo"

Thanks mate I'll look on it in abit

seriously, nothing but retarded fan boys and reporters

This is my concern as well. How is he going to address this? Lining a carbon fiber transportation module with lead isn't really an effective answer.

we planetes now

>consciousness transfer
Committing suicide and having an AI copy of your personality replace you is not "transferring" your consciousness.

omg memes

FUCK OFF COMICS

What. WHAT.

fuck this crowd, just a bunch of le nerds who ready science fiction and think they're so clever

I swear there some stupid fucking people in the crowd. Did they just let anyone in there?

this meme again

Who invited Woodstock 2016 to this conference?

Who the fuck goes to a press conference to ask if they're gonna send Micheal Cera to Mars? Jesus.

>nerd culture
i kno quatum physics guise xD

Well of course, but if someone discovered some way to make it possible and provable; wouldn't you do it at some point in your lifetime?

>geostationary satellite
I have no idea how these work but thanks for helping me out. yah I get it thought it would take a lot of will and money to do.

Concorde was a shit show, going supersonic is not feasible for airtransport. You can actually destroy property and harm people on the ground with the sound waves those things produce.

>Whats stopping us from doing an orbital elevator
Physics.

I am physically cringing

All these autismos trying to be funny with questions

kek that was fast. saved

Zimbabwe!

they just let in fans. Can't really blame them

>"can I give you a kiss? xD"

>>goodluck kiss
THIS FUCKING CROWD

CAN I COME TO STAGE AND GIVE YOU A KISS???

Her first question was decent, why did she have to fuck it up?

Yeah sure *Unzips the dick*

>CAN I COME TO STAGE AND GIVE YOU A KISS???
>women
>HOW CAN I MAKE THIS ABOUT ME

wew. everytime.

Yah I'm about to watch that video someone posted to see how. but it would be good if you explained rather than "Physics"

>internet """culture""" leaking into meatspace

When? I want to be a virtual, but cute girl.

Holy shit, Zack Anner!

>rooster teeth
fuck everyone in that audience

What was his answer?, sounded like "we don't have those up here"

>ROOSTERTEETH
YOU FUCK

>that drunk as fuck guy
this conference

WHY IS FUCKING ROOSTERTEETH AT THIS CONFERENCE

MUH NAME IS ZACH HURRRRRR ARE YOU GO TO MARS AND NOOT GOOOOO

is this a joke? the audience is retarded

>WILL YOU BUILD LOO ON MARS?

A material strong enough doesn't exists. That's it.

tfw elon musks greatest fear for his company is my greatest fear for his company. Being taken over by jewish corporate shills.

I HAVE A KEST-EON

thanks bro.

dude, he's disable

I really don't like these questions that shows that they have no idea what they're talking about. Interstellar travel? The distances are insane, it's not happening unless we develop sci-fi tech

It's what happens when you let the general population in.

No one will ask real questions like this

A simple yes or no would've sufficed; surely as many sci-fi stories, games movies and philosophical dilemmas have pointed out, it essentially is impossible to prove that a mind can be transferred. But if there sometime in the near future was some kind of neurological breakthrough, we wouldn't know if it worked until we tried it, huh?

>tl:dr if transporters become real, would you use it?

It happens when you invite 2009 Star Trek fans into your press conference.

Advertising your fucking startup, I hope someone beats this guys ass afterwards.

look at mi boose plea it outsie

>>I have my prototype outside. Shits fire yo!!
This crowd. My fucking sides

He'd be better off reading questions from the chat, if it was enabled

Minimizing flight time to Mars perhaps? How does radiation in deep space compare to radiation in LEO?

holy kek he just left

Not a single legitimate scientific question from the audience. Awesome.

>"we only have time for one last question"
>"okay, bye"
Based.

>Muffled noises

What the fuck ?

Well that was awful.

Yeah, he couldn't wait to get out of there.

Wouldn't you? I bet he was wishing that someone would off him right then and there.

He couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Damn normies asking shit questions.

I hope everyone who asked a stupid question in that audience get a one-way ticket to Mars.

Guy was even calling him back

The Q&A showed exactly why Elon is building a Mars rocket: to get away from the idiots on Earth like the ones in that room

one or two good questions then fucking garbage

what would you have asked?

fuck no, they don't deserve a mars trip, let them die alone on earth

Jesus christ these fucking questions...
>Elon look my bus
>Elon pls kiss
>Elon here comic book
Those people need a one-way ticket to deep space, i don 't even want to see them on mars.

I would've shut up if I didn't have a decent question.

Anyway I would've asked something similar to that girl, the training question, not the retarded kiss question.

I hope they don't. You really want those kind of people building a new civilization?

Elon is autistic as fuck

His followers are even worse. fucking anime con tier

the guy with the shit question was a pretty decent question before he went full retard.

I feel so sorry for Elon, those fucking questions man

His autism lead him to become a billionaire. Yours almost allowed you to post coherently.

Congratulations.

mindless autistic fanboy detected

>You really want those kind of people building a new civilization?

What makes you think the first trip will be successful senpai

>be a religious nutjob
>keep it a secret
>sign up for mission on mars
>establish a colony
>introduce christianity

Do you honestly believe they are intelligent enough to survive on Mars?

doesn't make what he said any less true :^)

>We got to the moon

typical weeb retard. stay absorbed in your cartoons fuckwit

Devilish.

haha dumb comment with carat nose smiley haha
neck yourself

DUDE WEED LMAO

HOW WILL WE SHIT IN SPACE EL DUDERINO? HAHA SHIT

Nobody going anywhere. He's making that rocket for himself to get away form normies forever.

Why are we not making a moon base first? It would be much smarter and wiser to do as we can reach it in a matter of hours. Is it due to international politics?

(((((((((((jews))))))))))))))

It's probably cheaper to launch a thing to mars directly (to build a colony) than to build a moon base first and then launch things from there.

In the sense that international politics is taking up all our resources, yes.

>smarter and wiser
ther'es nothing smart or wise about settling on other celestial bodies which have literally no resources to sustain human life

wah I just missed it... let's see..AHHHHHH THIS FRENCH ACCENT§1JR3 U9"('tdd

KILL MEH

(I'm french)

Still better than the pooinloos.

The real answer is there's not enough resources on the Moon for a self-sustaining colony. There's not really much of a reason to except as a staging ground for asteroid mining. A human colony really only makes sense in a place with atmosphere, water ice, iron/ores, minerals.

no they are equally bad
look up the videos of paris in september 2016
the refugees literally line the main streets, shitting and raping just like pooinloos in india

This desu. Earth could be one of the richest planet in the universe and nobody seems to care.

Weren't we talking about accent here?

w-wait.. I haven't read who you answer to. Basically I don't think mars could support life as easily as on earth.

it doesn't support life at all it doesnt even have an atmopshere
there's literally no reason to go except to fulfill peoples delusions of being an 'interplanetary species'

i missed it. When do the stupid questions start? I want to see this trainwreck.

last 15-20 or so

From the start of Q&A to the end

The real reason SpaceX is doing this is: money.
Imagine all this people paying shitons of dollars to be in an orange prison and to eat low quality food for the rest of their life.

youtu.be/A1YxNYiyALg?t=1h28m10s

The trip to Mars takes something like 8 months. They either need to approach percentages of light speed (at which relativity shits up the plan), or create a way of hibernating people, to reach Mars, because there's no way they can launch one and a half years worth of food and entertainment on a spaceship.

Thanks.

>click on 1:45
>are you gonna go 2 mars?

Captain obvious to the rescue.

this is the dumbest thing i've read all day
do you know how much it costs to send rockets into space
it dwarves anything people are willing to pay to go up there

>Age reversal. Mars can wait...we need THIS.

immortality would mean that Earth would get over populated in a few years.

We need to go to Mars simply because we need the space.

>Computers
>CS:GO Lan
Easy

PROPOSED. As in theoretical.

And that's still 80x2 days worth of food for 100 people. That needs a shitload of room, which is a huge premium on a spaceship.

Do you have any numbers?

because the moon is not an option even though its mineable he3 that can get us to the core galaxy's.
pro tip earth will never own "our" moon.
missions to mars are a nasa must to distract us from true progress that is right in front of us.

You know what else is PROPOSED? A trip to Mars.

>csgo
pls go

hundreds of millions / billions per launch

Ehrm... I don't play CS:GO. This is just an example. Any game would do it.

The x2 is not necessary because they plan to establish a self-sustaining colony there. Did you even watch the presentation?

I just realized... I love Musk not because of what he's doing, but because of the fact he is actually doing something.

Meanwhile me. Fapping til brain death...

>there's literally no reason to go
We're trying to make a martian master race here dude.

the only thing a martian colony would do is drain humanity's resources and probably die horribly when an unexpected mistake is make

We don't need everyone working on the same projects.

Holy fuck your dumb, why don't you address what user said about making a life for himself while you shit post away on Cred Forums

Mars does indeed have a thin atmosphere comprised of 95% c02 due to it being smaller and lacking tectonic plates to recycle carbonate rock, but if one was to boost c02 and o2 in the atmosphere, this would create a thermal blanket to support life.

The station needs to be a little above geostationary so the center of mass (the thing going to earth is HEAVY AF) is exactly on the geostationary height. And this whole structure needs to support itself against gravity so it's a big material challenge.

You do realize once we have space travel mastered and made it mainstream we could have space shuttles for long distance travel right?

This rocket is too erotic for me sampai

I agree with you user. People used to not care a shit about space and whined about their tax wasted for NASA. This is what Elon is really changing.

We do need to go.

At some point our race needs to leave our solar system which will eventually become unable to sustain life. As a race we need experience at colonizing new worlds, experience best gained in our own neighborhood.

Having a planet to fall back on in case of an extinction event isn't that weird.

>your dumb

>your reddit

If I volunteer to go to Mars regardless of the high risk of death and get accepted into the programme and launch into outer space

will I finally get a qt interplanetary gf

earth at it's absolute worst is still better than mars. there's nothing to fall back on. mars does not sustain life. the only thing it offers is ground to stand on that isn't on planet earth

Probably not. I fear the number of qt females who will apply will be small so even in your limited society the qt girls will pick the better partners.

Heaven is the only place better than Earth and you can get a free ride to Heaven after you die but only if you accept Jesus Christ as your lord and Savior.

For that to be even debatable thing, we need bilions of billions more computing power than we have today.
So sorry, but that most likely won't be achievable in our lifetimes
The best bet on immortality/longer life as of now would probably be genetic engineering.

Or putting your faith in Jesus Christ. Science wont save you in the after life.

I'm the better partner

>Technology board
>Jesus Christ

Jesus invented computers.

Fck, audio when Musk starts talking.. is it going to be like this the whole time, feedback n sheeeiit?

The fact that he can't even properly speak doesn't help a bit...

Lol.
Exploration isn't a good enough reason? Howabout to advance our species beyond the planet we formed on? How about scientific advancement?
You really don't see the benefits of expansion? What happens if nuclear war breaks out tomorrow? We're all dead. I get the point that earth could be paradise, unfortunately it won't be soon. So let's go ahead and get a backup going, learn ALOT,and expand!

>after life
>ever

Hello plebbit (tips)

Just watched it. Jesus that Q&A was a cringefest. Fuck this multi-planet species bullshit. We don't deserve it. That poo in loo Burning Man guy was right, we'll just shit up mars too.

Implying a rich person would risk his life to go to the most boring and cold place there is. Its not a minth tour like to the Everest or Southpole, it takes years and is as healthy as chronic alcoholism. Microgravity. Radiation. Fuck that shit.

We currently face more serious problems than manned space exploration.

Someone needs to listen to this man

Religion is literally biological.

It's going to be present on Mars no matter what. Unavoidable.

>The planet only has the resources to work on one idea at once

>I went to burning man
>there are 3 billion people without clean water!!!!

>I agree with you user. People used to not care a shit about space and whined about their tax wasted for NASA. This is what Elon is really changing.

The conspiratorial people among us believe the navy did it to fuck with china. its worth consideration, but probably not worth believing.

regardless, they are making incredible progress, they are cheap and they are moving fast, and they still probably have a better track record than other early stage rocket programs around the world, including nasa.

NASA has already made plans to build a space ship utilizing the EMDrive and electric propulsion system. However the ship would need a huge solar array and would be composed of 90% li-ion batteries. They asked Elon but he said he refused to help. Why is Elon a dick to NASA?

>Religion is literally biological.
How so? Serious question.

>>"we only have time for one last question"
>>"okay, bye"
Most people wouldn't believe this but Musk is surprisingly based irl.

Kek. Honestly I fucking hate the SpaceX fanbois and I actually work here. They're absolutely insufferable and I can't hold any animosity towards the SpaceX BTFO crowd after seeing this cringefest. I honestly think the worst part of working here is interacting with science/tech illiterate normies after they find out I work for SpaceX. Imagine going to a party and having to listen to a bunch of dumbfucks who read Gizmodo or the Verge tell me we should try landing the the first stage in a fucking net.

Source?

Mars is a waste of time, maybe going there and planting a flag just for a species bragging rights in fine but he legitimately wants to colonize it. The moon would be a way better option.

>Concorde was a shit show, going supersonic is not feasible for airtransport.

You fucking sperg. I've talked to people who flew those beautiful machines and all they needed was to fuel 'em up and empty the lav on turnovers and you were good to go. Pretty fucking far from shitshow. Shut your whore mouth if you dont know jack shit.

> You can actually destroy property and harm people on the ground with the sound waves those things produce.

Fucking retard they didnt fly supersonic until over the ocean

Concorde was expensive, had little space, and had environmental issues. Stop shilling your failed tech.

Cum'on this is the only thing we, france, ever did.

France contributed plenty. If it wasn't for france I'd have no country to make fun of.

I'll admit to being a fan of SpaceX, but at least I'm not one of the morons you've encountered. It's mind boggling seeing just how dumb as a brick people can be.

After every landing attempt there's been so many damn posts on forums. "Why don't they use a net?" "How about just using a parachute to land?" "They should just land slower and hover, that way they wouldn't crash." "What about giant airbags?"

I would likely end up smacking those sort of people in the head if I head to deal with them in person.

>Earth becomes prime real estate only owned by the elite and wealth

Enjoy poverty

Are you retarded? The first launches aren't going to be manned at all. They'll be entirely robotic.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to create a giant space bus that ferries people to the planet rather then unsocial rockets ?

Want to hear what else is expensive? Business jets. Yet they're produced and even more weird, bought.

You know, concorde was never a layman's ride. But rich people had the money and rarely a seat was empty, even if the ticket cost $10k a seat.

Lot of costs went to designing the thing, and it all was lost when they wrongly scrapped the bird.

Yeah, sure thing. You're very smart. Everyone else is a insufferable fagot.

God these pretentious wankers are the worst. Like anyone would care about you apart from your overweight momma.

>Single point of failure
>not even sure materials and engineering technology are strong enough
But it would tho

Because business jets are convenient. Most people who were asked about the Concorde after riding in one admitted that they would rather wait double the time in a regular airliner. Why? Because they were small, held little people, and consumed more fuel than needed. It was never viable and never will be cost effective. Also the engines were known to be louder than normal planes and it discomforted people. All around the idea was a failure. And there was a reason why it was shelved. Even if it was mass produced the plane had smaller, more expensive parts that needed to be changed frequently compared to other planes. It would be too expensive to maintain and the threat that just one part that failed could bring the whole fragile airliner down was constant.

Also the development went way over budget from the original planned cost. And in the middle of that, the 1970's oil crisis hit, so fuel prices shot way up, making operations even more expensive. As airlines looked for cheaper jets to operate, they started cancelling future purchase orders. In the end, instead of building a few hundred of them, they only put together a total of 20.

And most of them failed. Even of the plans went through the line of jets wouldn't last long. Regular airlines are cheaper, and bring in more economy.

Hydrostatic pressure.

Please don't continue to post, you come off as an ignorant and uneducated who just shills other people's opinions as their own.

Even if they were due to an upgrade with outdated avionics, their retirement was mostly political.

Or why do you think Branson offered to buy all concordes but was denied? If they were simply not economical why wouldn't BA and AF just sell them to Branson and let him fly 'em?

Because they were technically government hardware.

name a single source for that claim

They weren't sold because airbus wanted to get rid of them and no longer make parts for 'em.

>Why aren't you hiring immigrants Elon?
>Before you start talking about other planets you have to go international!

Can't believe nobody mentioned it.

lousy joke

who cares about immigrants? They need the most able-minded people available and sadly that excludes sandniggers by definition

What joke?

What about EMDrive?

it's supposed to keep satellites on the orbit.

I would just want to be digitzed and live in a virtual reality created from my own memories that are currently stored in my brain.

EMDrive has to actually be proven to work. So far all the "successful" tests have shown such an incredibly tiny amount of thrust it's barely detectable, and could easily be noise and sampling error.

How does he plan to make Mars livable, with oxygen and all?

How long do you think until we know for sure whether it's possible or impossible?

That's up to other people, all he has done is say "we building the first ship, hop on"

Because he's not a fucking marketing drone like the representatives of any other big corporation.

But if there's no realistic plan to live a decent life on Mars why should we go there?

to get rid of minorities

no, honestly, why there were explorers in the past?

I'd love to go there because I hate most of the people here

This literally suggests Mars will turn into an Earth like planet:
youtu.be/A1YxNYiyALg?t=41m55s

Except he doesn't explain how. Magic, I suppose.

I have no idea. I imagine more, better tests on the ground, and then sticking one on a satellite bus and putting it in space to test run, like NASA did with ion engines in the past. But right now nobody's committed money to fund a satellite and launch yet.

>Also the engines were known to be louder than normal planes and it discomforted people.

This is kinda false. For example LHR had special noise abatement procedures for concorde which made their operations quieter than most. No other aircraft could fly those procedures.

Engines were exceptional in any case.

> The powerplant was as you say truly amazing. We had an, as yet, unmatched engine/intake combination, with a variable primary and secondary nozzles. The variable intake allowed supersonic operation with maximum pressure recovery, minimum aerodynamic drag, as well as extreme operational stability. (Extreme temperature shears, that would have caused surge/unstarts in military installations) were dealt with as a total non event). It's astonishing to believe, but at Mach 2 cruise, the intake provided approximately 63% of the powerplant thrust. It was controlled by the world's first airborne digital control system. (The system computers were built by the Guided Weapons Division of what was then BAC). The combination of the variable intake, plus the LP and HP compressors gave an overall compression ratio of 80:1.

Faster they flew, more economical they became. Marvelous, simply put.

Expect people you hate here to go there too. user, you're an idiot.

Will Elon himself go to Mars?

Oh but there would be less people to hate, right

google.com/search?q=elon musk terraforming mars

No he said the risk would be too big so he won't go

Because co2 for planets and ch4/oh for fuel
No he doesn't, but they are a space flight company, not terraformers. Who knows, when we get mars, maybe we could work it out as a planet

>Spacesex

Imagine being the first man to blow his load on Mars. Be pretty cool desu~!

Wow, that kind of sucks. For him anyway.