First time running Ubuntu

Guys I just installed Ubuntu coming from windows 10. This is my first time using a gnu/Linux operative system. I hAve heard that you can change the default applications like the file explorer. Could you please recommend me must have applications and tweaks in order to have a good user experience and good first impression. Which browser works best with Ubuntu ? File manager? Theme ? How does yours look like ? Thank you

Other urls found in this thread:

moebuntu.web.fc2.com/home_eng.html
howtoubuntu.org/things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-14-04-trusty-tahr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>must have
Unity Tweak Tool

Then just explore the settings and use the computer. Go to if you have any questions. Default programs work fine enough.

Get darktable and do some photo editing, personally i think it has more capabilities than photo shop, but then everyone is a faggybitch here

Do all this, but skip the boot screen part.

moebuntu.web.fc2.com/home_eng.html

Should've installed Linux Mint instead.

What the fuck is this shit?

Unity tweak tool. playonlinux, steam, i run chrome becuase my chrome account has a load of my shit on it and i am too lazy to switch. Firefox seems to work fine too. Not sure if its different now but chrome was the only browser to run netflix properly out the box. i personally think the software center is shit and use gdebi for deb files. also discord canary for chat.

The only good thing about Linux. Why are you even using it then?

Install whatever browser you use on Windows. Ubuntu is pretty boring on its own and it just works.
So get to know it a bit before you start messing with it and breaking it (you will and it will be your own fault).

Welcome to Linux. You can find your own preferred themes and file manager as you go.

Mine looks like this. I liked windows 8.1's look very much

darktable is more of a lightroom replacement, hence the name, famalam

Is that lxQT?

>using amazon bloatware on his own will

Xfce

... Desktop thread!

ayyyy

>same generic ubuntu pic in OP

what are you going to shill here...

What theme/DE is this?

Moebuntu is such a letdown

Is that crane image from Numix, or separate?
Can you share? Thanks!

Desktop Thread?
Desktop Thread.

Yeah thats nice an all, but what DE is it?

Install:
GNOME 3
Arc Theme
Numix Icons
And get some good fonts

hello this is my desktop. I use herbstluftwm and macos, and it seems good

It clearly says Linux.

It's from a movie called 5cm/sec!

when it comes to GUI file managers, I like thunar. For theme, you really can't go wrong with arc or the numix variants.

macos is linux, it just has a BSD "captive kernel" that it delegates certain core processes to

Nvm i misunderstood, ya the logos from numix iirc!

Can someone please explain to me how the fuck I install a tar.gz or whatever it is?

What exactly are you trying to install? What's your distro?

I was just playing with Ubuntu. This is literally the only thing that keeps me from switching full time. I don't understand the process to install new programs. Everything is in a zipped tarball, whatever the fuck that is

What are you trying to install?

Linux/OSX works in a different way, you install stuff from secure repo/app center only

thats not even remotely correct

OP did you google "how to install from tarball"

Just drop the program folder into /opt/ or /bin/. You don't need to run an installer because Linux doesn't use a registry like Windows does.

ahhh

Who are you even talking to?

probably the guy who's saying something not remotely correct desu

Nigga is this your first day?

Mine looks like this because who fucking cares what it looks like.

@56817299
oh the ironing

Oh the autism

>x86_64 Linux 4.7.4-1-ARCH
senpai. what r u doin

My favourite "after install Ubuntu" site: howtoubuntu.org/things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-14-04-trusty-tahr

Most of it works with 16.04, too.

I can understand running ubuntu but why unity? its just so ugly

Why is this ugly though. I mean... literally what the fuck canonical?

>favourite
go away yuropoor

No, it's your last day