Tl;dr How did you find your passion for programming?

tl;dr How did you find your passion for programming?

My motivation to code was always to create my own games. Now I do software development. However I did not study IT, so Im falling behind my colleagues. I feel that I lack the programming knowledge that they have, which is understandable. But Im catching up. Now - I just feel that I lack a little motivation. Sort of spark to make me interested even when Im home from the job. Possibly some movie? A book? An interesting tutorial series? What is it that made you pursue the coding path and explore it?

i watched matrix and wanted to be cool

also, i had commodore 64 since i was three or something around that. i used to write simplest pascal shit in elementary school and it was just fun, building something that works from little commands. Of course, it wasn't really proper programming, more like stupid text-based adventure games made purely of 'goto' spam.

I got a couple spare computers from my aunt/uncle, installed Ubuntu 7 on them and played with it. Thought it was cool, installed apache and other junk. Messed with it until I broke it.

Tried making games with flash (more like point & click games at most). Enjoyed it, but was awful at it. Went to university, attempted Computer Science degree, turns out I'm awful at math and am too lazy to make anything of myself. Had to opt for IT degree instead. Graduated, can't find shit, currently doing MSCIS program, don't like that, going to drop regardless what my parents wish (hope they don't hate me).

I like programming, but I'm not good or smart enough to make anything complicated so I've pretty much stopped programming, not sure if I can say I have a passion for it anymore. Not sure who or what would hire me either.

I can seriously see myself offing myself in a year's time if I don't find a job somewhere. I don't want to go back to delivering pizzas when I have a degree. I already hate working at a help desk. None of the shit is applicable.

I was fucking up my life and took a shot at a cs degree and fell in love

What's worse is when you graduate and see your colleagues all get full time jobs within a couple months of graduating. Still worse, the idiots that barely passed most of the easy as fuck courses somehow get full time management positions that pay well. Meanwhile, you're making minimum wage, getting more and more rusty and still nothing to really show for any of the time you spent getting your degree, and no one will hire you because of the lack of experience.

Every day it gets worse, I try to be happy that I have an easy life but I don't care that it's easy, I want money, I want to not feel like a god damn child anymore, tired of feeling like I'm just some loser with a degree. I want some validation that what I know isn't worthless.

I program to reassert my intellectual superiority over my peers. Also it's cool knowing that my software makes people's lives better.

I'm going to go to a coding bootcamp, likely Hack Reactor (I just got back from my first interview at a different one, and I interview at HR on Saturday). A job is very likely going to stem from that and the reported average salary is pretty high.

It's 72 hours, 6 days a week for 3 months with 20 other people just as motivated as you are.

My last job was Walmart where I was fired in about a month. I've worked and been fired from a ton of shit jobs. I haven't worked for more than a cumulative year total and I'm about to turn 25.

Watch me go neet to a S100k real quik

>My motivation to code was always to create my own games
First mistake

So it goes from old and ugly to old and ugly with a wig and makeup?

OP here, Im not sure where you're from but I think globally IT jobs are in high demand. So you might find something. I did not study IT, only home - taught java basics and I got a job. Not exactly java related, but similar.

So dont lose your hope, just hit the google and you will find something Im sure.

I dont see how that would be a mistake. I made some games and I taught myself how to code by doing it.

No mistake there sir.

There are, but jobs involving the tech I want to work with aren't really in stock in my region. Plenty of shitty Windows IT jobs that I would not enjoy at all, very few in my area involving primarily Linux (actually I could probably say none outside of one job).

My hope is already pretty shit since I know why I am probably not going to get a job, no previous experience aside from this shit help desk position, no enterprise experience with tech that companies want (even for entry level), no internal recommendations at most of these companies either.

Getting a degree from a no-name state university in the southern portion of Georgia is a mistake.

I was always around a computer when I was a kid, started learning programming by myself when I was 12.

I'm know in college and all of my courses seem boring and basic as fuck.

Jesus user... You don't have to be a super programmer to get a jerb. 90% of coding jobs are bread and butter CRUD crap.

warcraft 3 map editor
I made a lot of custom maps and custom races
even campaigns with scripted events
that's how it all started for me

Explain that to do the HR guy that lists 3+ years experience to do something as mundane as that, or the guy in charge of hiring for some basic junior sysadmin position that wants 1-3 yrs experience but isn't willing to at least talk to me and see if I'm not retarded enough for the position.

I wanted a job

Just lie about experience and/or have some side projects

>56811556
You're going to kill yourself because you live in Georgia

i needed some random small shit done
and i was searching around the net for a solution realizing there´s only shit that lacks half the features that i needed
then i sat down and started writing code
and it escalated from then one

Bullshit, my motivation was desire to make games and being 1337 hax0r. Now (i guess) i'm a proper programmer, and i definitely learnt a lot while trying to make video games. Yes, at some point i realized i'm terrible idea guy - but when it comes to programming, i doubt i could get better motivation than i had.

I'm also 1337 hax0r, i injected code in some crappy website once or twice. I grew up, i don't want to hack databases and run away from evil corporations anymore, but i still enjoy thinking about ways to fuck up things (not enough to get it on anyhow serious levels though). So, there is nothing wrong with having childish motivations. You will grow up and stop liking your childish motivations, but love for problem-solving in programming will probably remain.

Started with vidya like a lot of idiotic teens, but grew to love coding.
I like debugging and patching code. Makes me feel like a detective when I find the error and fix it.
It's sometime a very childish mentality, but I like what I do

what are they even doing in these bootcamps?
give you shit to do? and teach you to write code? in fast?
why can´t you do that from home without paying some retards a fortune?

Because some people have no self-discipline.

hack yourself onto his interview list then reveal it in the interview

I wondered how games are created.

Got stuck in software development before getting into games.

Still love it.

Yeah. HR bitches/fags are tech illiterate shitters like that. Met one that would turn down code monkeys without driving licenses or the slightest detectable powerlevel because muh manchildren and shit. Needless to say we were permanently understaffed and the employee retention was utter shit. I think the record was some guy that left after the first day. Glad I left that shithole.

But anyway there's internships and freelancing. I've heard some people using github repos, wp plug-ins and personal sites as a portfolio.

You have two possibilities, either you start learning something useful for work or you learn how to "sell" yourself to get hired. What I mean is you have to learn how to make yourself appealing, that's what your colleagues did. They're no different. The problem could lie in your attitude, your CV or your appearance too. If you smell like a loser, you won't get a job.