/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/licenses/copyleft.en.html
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/arch_compared_to_other_distributions
news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-might-soon-track-absolutely-everything-you-do-for-your-own-good-508602.shtml
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
github.com/helmuthdu/aui
packages.debian.org/unstable/video/obs-studio
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux#Why_use_GNU.2FLinux.3F
youtube.com/watch?v=KEeFNvvR-ng)
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_from_existing_Linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1rd for Xubuntu

Systemd is doomed to failure, abandon it while you can. Redhat is fucked.

repostan to see if anyone knows about this, haven't found anything similar while looking for a solution:

strangely enough I no longer have audio coming from anything (mpv and browsers in particular) bar mpd.
speaker-test -c 2 also works, so I think I've set the right default card on .asoundrc
Any idea on what might have happened? I'm using pulseaudio (and need to).

Hey dorks, this is a friendly thread, and it looks like you're getting into shit-flinging-distro-wars territory.

Arch and Debian are both very popular distros. Everyone has different preferences, needs, hardware, and experience levels. Within that huge spectrum of variance, no one distro is going to be OBJECTIVELY SUPERIOR to the rest.

(besides gentoo; install gentoo)

>doctorate at clown college

Noobuntu is so bloated

I've been using Gentoo almost for a year and I'm still using it. It's the most flexible and elite distro.

(You) (You) (You)

Good evening Cred Forumsentoomen.

I am able to boot my gentoo install usb, but when the kernel fires up it seems to lose access to all usb devices. My USB keyboard becomes unresponsive and I get a message:
!!Media not found
!!Could not find CD to boot, something else needed! blah blah blah....

Both Gentoo USB and Keyboard are plugged in to non-USB 3.0 ports.

Tried:
-different usb ports
-scandelay option
-docache option
-disable IOMMU in BIOS
-disable USB 3.0 controller in BIOS
-re-imaging the USB with different versions of the Gentoo minimall install
-searching Google for others with similar issue

MoBo is Gigabyte 970A-D3P

If anyone could give me a hand it would be greatly appreciated.

FYI: Linux is just a kernel

The operating system we discuss in these threads is called GNU/Linux, because there would be no operating system without the GNU parts.

Android is an operating system which uses the Linux kernel, but has little to no GNU.

Same with Chrome/Chromium OS. It uses the Linux kernel and has little to no GNU.

GNU/Linux, Android, and Chromium/Chrome OS are all completely separate and unrelated operating systems, with the exception that they all use the Linux kernel.

Please stop conflating the terms "Linux" and "GNU/Linux" like you are, as it leads to confusing assumptions which are blatantly false.

>first chapter, first sentence in the Linux Bible 8th Edition
>"Linux is a computer operating system"
>freetards BTFO

I'm trying lubuntu on a medium range laptop and it lags. WTF. I didn't sign up for this. Ubuntu ran perfectly well here, and Debian doesnt recognize any fucking drivers, so I decided to try the stupid flavors except they all suck. Fuck

UPDATE: lights on USB stick and Keyboard go off once the kernel starts...
Someone PLEASE throw me a lifeline.

>it leads to confusing assumptions
Such as? It's just convenient to call the OS by its kernel.

Try something else, like porteus for example.
If you're trying to install gentoo you can do it from any live usb.

Not even the same guy, but such as people not thinking adnroid adn debian, for example, are extremely similar.

They're not extremely similar, but they use the same kernel. Why would that be confusing?

That's why we say NT instead if Windows, because it's shorter and more convenient.

Because "linux" is just a subset of their many properties and you can't make many meaningful statements without occurring in error.

You are calling two different things the same.

For example, if I decide to to say debian and android are only "Linux".

If I say "Linux is free and will always be", what does that mean ?

It could mean that android and debian are free and will always be, which is not true.

It could mean the kernel is free and will always be.

Shitpost notwithstanding, "windows" and "linux" are easier to pronounce than "ganoo plus linux".

Besides, you already lost the common usage battle. You can exercise your freedom to call anything by whatever moniker you choose, so just leave it at that.

Prescriptivists can eat shit.

When people say NT, they are referring to a subset of windows, to make clear that some properties are true and some other are not.

That's because in this case the set is for the OS and the subset is for the kernel.

In the "Linux" case there are two sets, with the subset "linux" in common.

>[confusing assumptions] Such as?
The confusing assumption that GNU/Linux, Android, and ChromeOS are all the same operating system. Or that Linux itself is somehow an operating system.

All three are ambiguously referred to as "Linux," which makes them seem closer and more related than they actually are.

>It's just convenient to call the OS by its kernel.
It is convenient, but also misleading

it's pretty simple

If you have autism you say gnu/linux

If you don't have autism you say linux

If you are a tech novice you say whats a ganoolix

The discussion is not about what is easier to pronounce, it's about what is more precise.

No actual arguments, just your opinion.

i had an issue with tearing in firefox one arch 4.7.4-1 the problem was having deprecated drivers that were no longer needed 'xf86-video-intel' the problem was fixed by removing that package.

some people said a downgrade to an older more 'stable' kernel was a fix but you can easily just remove the deprecated drivers.

>arguing over asinine things
It's literally autism. If you reeeeeee so hard because someone doesn't say/type gnu you are on the autism scale.

Those are arguments. Your prescriptivism is showing again, and signals pretty strongly for autism.

>it's pretty simple
Not backed by facts or a logical deduction/inference, therefore opinion.

>If you have autism you say gnu/linux

>If you don't have autism you say linux

>If you are a tech novice you say whats a ganoolix

It's not an asinine thing and that's what we are trying to show you with actual, arguments, not memes.

>It's literally autism. If you reeeeeee so hard because someone does say/type gnu you are on the autism scale.
ftfy

Cute, but wanting to control others' speech is certainly further down the spectrum.

Cred Forums is an odd vehicle to choose for your authoritarian goals, you know.

"linux" is only popular because normalfags don't know what's going on. the same way they think hacking means security breaking and other crap, don't be a stupid.

it's very asinine. Normal people don't go around saying "google chrome" they call it chrome. Same how people don't go around saying "I drive a Fiat Chrysler Dodge" or "General Motors Chevrolet" .

You are trying to pass actual arguments, explaining why certain thing is bad as authoritarianism to imply it's intrinsically bad. Try providing actual counter arguments to why we should call it linux and not gnu/linux.

I won't, because unlike you I will not attempt to tell you what you should call anything.

Maybe you'll get it eventually.

You are missing the point, the analogy doesn't hold. There is no ambiguity in doing any of that ans it does not minimize someone contribution to something.

>it's another linux vs gnu episode
Why is this even a thing? One can like proprietary software, but still realize that it's the GNU system or one can dislike proprietary software but also think that it's just linux. There are so many combinations of opinions, but people just choose between one of two sides.

It really doesn't matter does it? Saying Linux it's pretty much implied of the GNU part. Other than stallman and these threads no one cares.

>actual arguments
do you even know where the fuck you are

>Why is this even a thing?
You know why.

>I won't, because unlike you I will not attempt to tell you what you should call anything.
If you are not open to argumentation about something, then its a dogma.

So even after showing to you how calling it just "linux" is misleading, with actual examples, you insist in calling it "linux" you are being irrational.

linux

Look, I know you must really enjoy debate, but if you're actually looking to exercise those Model UN / Philosophy 101 / Reddit Logician chops, you are better off elsewhere.

Speaking as a friend.

No, it's not, as we can clearly see, most people that know what linux is doesn't even know what gnu or free software are. Also calling two different things by the same name is misleading.

>do you even know where the fuck you are
So you admit you are being irrational and finds it acceptable for being in a cake decorating chinese forum?

Linux includes nonfree software and should be avoided. Use a kernel that respects your freedom such a GNU Linux-libre.

Stop trying to humiliate me with terms, you think, I will find offensive and provide arguments to back your claims.

What's irrational is that you're trying to reason with other 'people' on an Urdu tapestry-weaving forum.

still doesn't matter. No one called it Ms-Dos/Windows.

Guys. Please tell me how to convert a .svg into a .png with imagemagick without loosing transparency.

convert -background none in.svg out.png

>intel ddx drivers deprecated
Some people get tearing without them, since you can't enable TearFree with the modesetting driver. I'm also getting some weird flickering with the modesetting driver.

My hero, thank you.

You are basically trying to justify your irrationality now?

Because Ms-Dos/Windows is not misleading.
As I explained, there are two kinds of windows, that are subsets of the windows family. It's all basically the same but for a small difference.

In the "linux" case it's two different sets with a small intersection, calling it by the intersection is misleading.

ya it's still not running quite as smoothly as chrome but it's still 100x better.

What's the current record for longest ganoo shitpost train?

>Cute, but wanting to control others' speech is certainly further down the spectrum.
People can say Linux all they want. I'm not "controlling their speech," I'm giving a correction and suggestion to what I view as a misleading ambiguity.

>Cred Forums is an odd vehicle to choose for your authoritarian goals
My "authoritarian goal" is to get people to be more specific. Just like the "authoritarian" nature of the GPL enforces freedom and prevents authoritarian software.

There's no issue with those things because they're already distinguished. There's far less ambiguity when you say those things because there isn't as much overlap.
- Chrome is a browser
- Chrome OS is an operating system utilizing the Chrome browser as an interface
- A "Dodge" is unambiguously a Dodge manufactured car
- A "Chevrolet" is unambiguously a Chevrolet manufactured car

However, "Linux" is just a kernel. When you say "Linux OS" it could be a number of completely unique OSes that share one component. That's why you should be specific when referring to the operating system.

>Just like the "authoritarian" nature of the GPL enforces freedom and prevents authoritarian software.

This is exactly why BSD is a freer license.

rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

Why is this allowed?

Has anyone used nixos? Thoughts?

Freedom

>no init freedom
no thanks

>muh init freedom
Is this the new SJW?

>This is exactly why BSD is a freer license.
The BSD license allows people to use the software licensed under it to harm other's people's rights. Something that allows unjust power to exercised is a enemy of freedom, not 'freer'.

So would the correct term just be *nix then.

>figure I might as well update my binaries
># apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
>one of the binaries had an update that just does system("rm -rf / > /dev/null")
>nobody checked the code
>nobody cared
>everyone's computer gets bricked
>nobody finds a reason why

FREEDOM

>>one of the binaries had an update that just does system("rm -rf / > /dev/null")
Which retarded package maintainer would push that code into his repo?

Thanks senpai imma go install trisquel #dicksoutforrms

No. The term "unix-like" or even "POSIX" are a set of which many other things are a subset of.

Calling Mac OSX and Gnu/Linux Unix-like operating systems is not misleading, because they both are in fact subsets of the Unix-like set.

Calling android and gnu/linux "linux" is misleading because implies they are both subsets of a bigger set. Which is not true.

That has never happened in any distro I've ever heard of and if it did happen, well that's what backups are for. Your HDD can also just die, your house can catch on fire, both of those things are more likely to happen then what you just said.

I'm using Mint Debian edition right now, feels very comfy

>This is exactly why BSD is a freer license.
Yeah! Free to turn into proprietary software. That's the entire point of copyleft.

The primary difference between copyleft (like the GPL) and non-copyleft (like BSD) licenses, is that non-copyleft licensed software can be forked and relicensed under a non-FOSS license.

More info: gnu.org/licenses/copyleft.en.html

Which distro? What was in your sources.list? I recommend reading this page in order to not break your system in the future. Even if you don't use Debian, much of the info applies to all distros.
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

>be package maintainer
>firefox just added an update
>oh crap, 1000+ lines changed
>eh...
>fuck it, mozilla is decent
>new update contained rm -rf /
>literally every single "bleeding edge" computer is fucked
what now?

You're being so vague that I'm 80% sure you're trolling

arch or debian sid users would get fucked but ubuntu or debian stable users wouldn't be affected (ie most of linux users)

TRUST NO ONE

Mozilla checks and approves their changelog, retard. You are saying things like "Updating firefox will brick the system" which is completely OS independent.

Like jeans can be pants but not all pants are jeans, and jean shorts are jorts. And if you see someone in jeans and say "nice jeans". They aren't normally going to get pissy because you didn't call them pants.

Mozilla has to approve the change log idiot. Furthermore if firefox wanted to brick systems on update, no OS would stop that.

At least with Linux you got the source that tells you they pushed rm -rf / into the repo. Had this bin closed source, no one would even know if someone pushed the same code like rm -rf / or del C:\

Whoever is in charge of "checking and approving changelogs" is corruptible

What is the best solution to getting MS office to run on Linux (no dual boot)?

Wine?

dual boot

And?

sudo apt-get install libreoffice

There. Now you have MS Office

Virtualbox seamless mode (Just works) or WINE (Native performance)

Shut up retard

Why are you so concerned with that command in particular when that can be done in any OS by any program that has full privileges. That's like asking "what if someone at Microsoft intentionally released an update that bricked your system". It could happen but it has never happened and it's not very likely to happen. Unless you are using a distro maintained by a random dude in his basement there's almost no chance of anything even similar to that ever happening because code changes are verified by multiple people and new programs are tested before they reach the end user.

Ok. I will make it as simple as I can, because I'm getting tired.

My argument:

Let's take a look at this example:

Android is a set of software;
Debian is a set of software;
Linux is a software;
Android and debian contain linux and other things.
Calling android and debian "linux" is calling three different things the same, which is misleading.

My central point being "Calling three things the same is misleading". Also it doesn't honor the gnu project effort.

Now, I invite you, to show me with arguments, why calling three things the same is not misleading.

Except that the default MS office filetypes aren't fully compatible with LibreOffice and the formatting gets wonky. All the pics and fonts get resized and they make it all look ugly. Can't deal with that when I need by the standard documents and good-looking powerpoints.

It's still going.

>by the standard documents
So why aren't you using LaTex?

all those things are literally derivatives of unix. THEY ARE THE SAME.

see

GNU
is
Not
UNIX

Shut up

It's Unix-Like and only called that because at&t didn't want people calling anything that wasn't theirs Unix.

Jesus christ. Why do so many of you have a hard on for GNU?

The only difference is how they choose to implement POSIX standards.. Other than that, they are interchangeable.

The difference is GNU is FOSS while Unix is not.

>so many of you
It's like two people, one of whom is RMS.

I have a laptop that isn't graphically compatible with Linux. I need to install Ubuntu on it, but the regular installer is totally unusable because the graphics don't work properly. How do I install in text mode? I can't believe it's not an option.

Download ubuntu mini. It has a text user interface

I already did that, and it went right to the GUI. I am pissed.

Nigga Arch is your savior then.

Arch is gay.

You are gay

>tfw the first distro i ever installed was calculate linux
i feel like a pro
it just werks out of the box

>calculate linux
kek good choice actually

hey Cred Forums, can you recommend me a lightweight distro for daily use?

I'm wondering when the first user asks for a bloated distro for use only on weekends.

arch, debian

screenshot for proof

>hey Cred Forums

Gentoo, not even memeing, go take a look at their website, they have a very noob-friendly handbook that makes it a breeze to install it

lubuntu you nigger

why

>arch

rude

Why does this landwhale get so offended with Arch?

i know, it looks better when you're using it though

I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.

my advice for more vertical space:
- install the Htitle extension to hide the Firefox titlebar when its maximized like on Windows
- Hide the bookmarks bar and add a bookmarks button to the primary toolbar

Is it 1998?

Using a kernel does absolutely NOTHING to support Free or Open software.

Either you write code or you donate money. Users don't mean shit unless the come across with cash. The idea Gnazis that if you use a thing you support the thing is illogical. I torrent AutoCAD so I don't have to pay for it. I deal with software that disrespects my "freedom" (the internet is a DARPA surveillance botnet) by not paying for it.

Your pedantry bores me. If you really fucking support Free and Open software, why are you here instead of writing code or donating to those who do?

Gnautists are the OS equivalent of the Anal Avenger in /gif/. You should just admit it's a fetish. Fetishes are fine. Hypocrisy less fine.

isn't using it a way of supporting it

It is. Nice useful distro.

>Virtualbox seamless mode (Just works) or WINE (Native performance)

These. I suggest both. Libreoffice is nice but not an absolutely precise form and fit replacement for Office.

No need to pay for Office. I torrent well-reviewed builds and activators. Nothing escapes my VM since it's not networked.

>I have a laptop that isn't graphically compatible with Linux

Posting make and specific model might lead to someone who got it working.

An easy metho is toss your hard disk in something else and do the install there. If you use a faster PC your install goes quicker too.

>isn't using it a way of supporting it

wrong wrong wrong

I'm trying to make a bootable Arch USB on a Mac but dd shat the bed on me and tells me bs=1M is an invalid argument even though I've used the same command on the same USB with the same ISO before. Can I make a bootable USB in a VM or something like that?

Is there a way to make caja show folder thumbnails, like windows does with folders which have images/videos inside?

dd if=iso of=usb

The correct command according to the Arch wiki is "# dd if=image.iso of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=1M" which I've usef multiple times before and it's worked, but it hust shat the bed out of the blue now.

And i am telling you to run above command.

you could try rufus

(reposting from /sqt/)
I just installed GalliumOS (Xubuntu based) on my Chromebook. Bluetooth is always turned on when I first boot up my device, is there any way to make sure bluetooth is turned off by default so I don't have to turn it off every time it boots up?

Rufus isn't on OSX and I only have Windows on a VM right now

>Hypocrisy
Save this word for yourself the next time you bully winbabbies, cuck.

figure out if you were using dd correctly if not just download rufus through the windows virtual machine.

Why are some linux people so elitist and cancerous? To the extent that you even need to explicitly request the thread visitors to be friendly.

Should I install Arch or Manjaro?

Like any niche community, there's always going to be people attracted to it simply for the elitism. Besides like Android, Linux isn't very accessible to the general public. Elitists see that as a way to differentiate themselves from the common sheep.

>The correct command according to the Arch wiki
The Arch Wiki is full of "I heard it works like this" crap. Most stuff is fine, but sometimes I'm asking myself what the hell I'm reading.
tl;dr don't take the wiki 100% serious. Read the manpages instead.

$sudo systemctl stop bluetooth.service -f && sudo systemctl disable bluetooth.service -f ;

because more experienced and competent users are somtimes mean to less experienced or less intelligent users.

this is about starting a gnu/linux movement so people can see the beauty of open computation.

no

what is wrong with systemd?

I mean, which one?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/arch_compared_to_other_distributions

read this and you decide.

Thanks.

The best.

>linking to a "this is why arch is better" site
>decide yourself

Do you know what Manjaro is?

This is what you get when you install Arch:

you didn't read that site. there is no connatation of 'our distro is better' but the actual differences between distros.

Actually true

So what actually happens if I skip bs=1M?

Nukes will fall from the lizard mans inivible space ship,that will fall on all major cities in the entire world,causing global nuclear holocaust

FFS
Run the damn command be be gone

man dd

I'm not at my computer right now, dickwipe

Virtualbox, easily

Just get Antergos

Arch is a nice distro. Look before you quote me on (You)

holy crap, I guess we can stop recommenting dual boot now: news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-might-soon-track-absolutely-everything-you-do-for-your-own-good-508602.shtml

caja is a fork of nautilus, and both of them can't do this

Reeeeeeeeeee

Why does openstack take so long to install... Its been like half an hour

arch with arch-anywhere

any recommendations?

I need help.

I just installed Debian Jessie with LXDE and personalized it (some GTK, Openbox, icon themes. Nothing fancy) and installed the regular software from the Debian Stable repository.

Then I rebooted and this shit happened. Lightdm doesn't start. X doesn't start. The terminal just prints that and stays like that indefinitely.

I can start X with startx, but it's not the session I changed, has root privileges and it's honestly too cumbersome to do that every time I restart.

>tl;dr, pls help me un-fuck my Debian install. ;-;

it will copy 512 bytes at a time, which is the default blocksize

Is there anything similar to Foobar for Linux? Banshee to me feels like a clusterfuck.

deadbeef

why do so few people here use sabayon?

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm?

cool kids only use what the other cool kids are using: arch lunix

>imply arch is cool
Arch is vanilla, Guixd is cool.

was arch always the premiere Cred Forums distro?

they think it will keep the idiots away but instead we get a million Hey Cred Forums, arch (something broken or not working) questions

I'm such a retard. That was it. Apparently I uninstalled a lightdm dependency.

Thanks!

I guess the reason why Arch is popular is simply the AUR. Even a debqueen like me likes to check packagebuild files sometimes.

why?

pgkbuild file are tl;dr install manuals

Happy hacking.

It works fine functionally, it's widely adopted, and it's free/open source software. The issues people have with it have to do with its design, growth, and large influence.

Here's a group of people who have a bunch of reasons to hate systemd:
suckless.org/sucks/systemd

Dear /fg+lt/
I accidentally my filesystem when setting up dual boot for Arch linux.
I need to move / from one partition (ext4) to another (switching to btrfs). They are allocated and I know it should be easy to move them but I REALLY don't want to fuck anything up so could anyone here direct me exactly what I need to do to
1) copy files over
2) make linux boot into the new partition
3) keep my /home partition intact

It' easier to reinstall on the new partition. You procedure you are going to do is basically the installation but download and some configuration.

How can I make an own VPN service?

I am going to a third world country for a few weeks. I am willing to contact an ISP and set up my server in a rented locker.
The traffic has to be encrypted

Quick question for you guys. It's about permissions.

I have a home server that streams audio over http to a pi via mpd.I can control the server's playlist with an MPD app on my phone, stream it from any device, and even have some janky php on the server's apache2 server to control playback a bit. It only has one problem: Permissions.

Right now I have a folder with the path "/library" which stores all my media, and "/library/music" which holds music. I was never very good with permissions so the workflow for adding music to the server is to torrent it on my device, ftp it over to the server, and then "chmod -R 777 /library".

Given that I don't give a shit about security, how do I avoid this last step? All I want to do is give permissions to all users (or even just mpd) to the /library directory recursively, but also keep these permissions for anything that is transfered into it. If you don't have an answer please point me to someplace I could learn.

Thanks in advance Cred Forumsentoomen

do you want to do this on bare metal with your own hardware?

doing it isnt hard, hypothetically you could even do it from your house if you do a dynamic DNS and are careful with your networking.

Yes, I have a spare workstation

What I basically want to do is - I'll set up an actual server (proxy? VPN?) there and connect to the internet via that server.

Okay, I managed to install Ubuntu, but now it refuses to load my desktop after I log in.

having a spare workstation is kinda not the point im getting at. the point is, are you so paranoid that you wouldnt host it at digital ocean or rackspace for $5-10 /mo?

do you plan to put a 1u in someone else's datacenter...

would you be technically savy enough to put it on a router, rather than dedicating a computer.

would you be willing to spend $50 on a lan turtle?

bump

You will need to give bit more detail than that if you want help.

What are you using openstack for?

Well, just run mpd with root privs?

MPD is configured to be its own user. Surely there's some way to set a folder to allow any newly added files to that folder to inherit the permissions? I couldn't find anything when googling around.

Here's the /etc/init.d/mpd file that it calls when starting up. Perhaps I need to edit line 55?

Sorry for being so clueless; I just don't really know what I'm doing with chown or chmod, especially in service files.

forgot pic

Can't you set your download folder to be part of a group with users of that group allowed to access, and add mpd user the same group.

THANKS, NOW I'M BLIND

are you doing devstack?

when openstack installs it talks to a lot of different git repos and I'm pretty sure most of the work has to be done sequentially.

openstack and other philisophically similar pieces of software like mesos/marathon are really in their infancy, as such, they are about as commoditized as minicomputers from the 60's and 70's.

ironically, this particular highlighting scheme looks like it was designed for someone with colorblidnness.

I want to install Arch but I'm too lazy / dumb to do it manually. What is the best install script/installer? Architect?

why do you want arch?

Install Ubuntu, run screenfetch -D arch, PROFIT.

I need help guys.

I've been using Debian w/i3 for almost a year now with zero problems, and just this night something extremely fucking weird happened to me and I have no idea what it could be.

I was working as usual on nothing too heavy, when all of a sudden the screen started going black by stripes, going from the top down, just scrolling black horizontal bars from left to right, until it only left the bottom right of my screen revealed, and some colored dots in the blackness of my bottom left screen.

What the fuck was that? It legit creeped me out so much I hit the reset button right away. Computer was unresponsive and everything. Mouse was jittery.

Please non-meme responses. How can I troubleshoot this? What the hell was that? I don't think it was overheating or my GPU dying because my temperatures are a-okay at 40 celsius. It hasn't happened again.

arch is for kids, get a real bistro

you can try this script
github.com/helmuthdu/aui

but just install arch yourself so you get to know how to fix problems if they arise

Thank you for the useful answer.

>posting the stallman with a tomato nose

Think I figured it out. I uncommented the "localumask=022" line in /etc/vsftpd.conf. Tested and works.

why are the easiest fixes so easy... Lost a hour or two of sleep because of this shit. At least i learned something

So I installed Ubuntu MATE as my first Linux OS, and I accidentally removed a startup program (network something, I have no idea), and then the wifi bar indicator wouldn't show up unless I started it manually. Everything I tried failed, so I just decided to reinstall. BUT going with the "Eras Ubuntu and reinstall" option saved my home partition, so the program is still gone from startup. So I tried just making new partition tables entirely, and it still saved my home directory.

So how the hell do I completely fresh reinstall of Ubuntu? I'm so lost.

Sounds like a definite case of spooky ghosts.

Anyone ever install OBS (open broadcaster) on debian?
This shit is wack.
(ffmpeg is installed correctly)

I deleted Xorgconf, reinstalled Unity and Ubuntu Desktop, and it still won't show the desktop. It showed it before I installed the proprietary NVIDIA graphics drivers, but it was totally gimped and almost unusable. The log in screen is great, but it refuses to load my desktop.

This laptop is an HP Pavilion dv6500 from 2010.

How do I set default font?

For example I want to use dejavu

what is THE best browser for Gentoo?

>shit is wack
Which means?
We dont speak nigger

it means I can't get it to work, I think I've installed it correct but the commands that should open it don't work.
It doesn't have a nice clean install for debian and you need to compile it yourself. It's step by step instructions but the commands won't work.
I fixed a make error 2 earlier today with permissions but it didnt work this time

make[1]: *** [plugins/obs-ffmpeg/ffmpeg-mux/CMakeFiles/ffmpeg-mux.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:137: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

maybe it's because I didn't use the exact parameters installing ffmpeg because they caused their own errors

Never go full retard
packages.debian.org/unstable/video/obs-studio

I want to program my motherboard's bios chip that got wiped,and i started ways to look to reprogram it with the bios from the manufacture's website,so i cruised aliexpress and the kits use windows programs.Is there a way to do it on gnu/linux or will i have to be forced into windows using a chink program

I took that distro chooser quiz (with a grain of salt - I can see why people wouldn't like it) and, along with a lot of the distros I expected to see, Mageia was pretty high on the list. Considering the site has fuckall for an explanation, what does Mageis have to offer that makes it a worthy choice? Does anything about it make it stand out?

So far I've found myself just sticking to Kubuntu and Neon (and openSUSE for a few days - I kinda have a thing for KDE.) but the quiz did offer some interesting choices.

if you just want simple and functional use ubuntu or kubuntu (if kde is your thing).

If you are really curious about *nix, install everything, working through problems with different distros will teach you a lot, and it will carry over to your next experiment.

I added a couple of Directory Menus to a panel in Xfce. By default, they point to my home directory. I tried changing the displayed location through right-click, Properties... but it isn't accepting the modification. Where do I find the file that controls this behaviour to edit the properties there?

Mageia is quite nice. Sorry for not answering your question directly, but just to say I've used is a daily for a few months and found it to be a fairly well-polished distro, just werks out of the box. Can't think of any standout features, but I consider it a fair alternative to openSUSE for a stable & functional distro that lets you get on with your work (if you have any...).

I've just been playing with various enterprise virtualization platforms, tried ovirt before hand and it was an equal pain in the ass.

After working through about 20 errors with openstack, I wiped and went back go my old faithful, proxmox.

I have 4 raspberry pi's and I want to set up a VDI environment and have thin clients around the house. I've yet to find anything that's practical for this sadly.

I might be looking at xenserver myself.

reading smartos docs now

this.
Thanks to that, people look up to me like I'm a real Arch user.
I swear, I never thought it was possible to catch this many bitches.

There's flexVDI and KVM-VDI that are pretty awesome projects too.

I tried xenserver, I can't really are the point in it tbqh unless you buy into the enterprise stuff.

I havent got very far into xenserver desu.

What is lacking in the community version?

I occupy this weird space where I "get" a lot of the concepts behind Linux and what most distros have to offer, but I have barely any experience actually doing any of that stuff. I probably could install Arch or Gentoo if I wanted to - I just don't want to.

This is more what I was after. Mageia is one of the distros which I've heard of...and that's it. No clue as to its offerings. Sounds nice enough, though.
>(if you have any...)
Um...nothing specifically tech related, at least.

Okay, so I am able to get GNOME to boot, but Unity refuses to go to my desktop. Now I'm getting an "internal error." It must be a bad install.

>I occupy this weird space where I "get" a lot of the concepts behind Linux and what most distros have to offer, but I have barely any experience actually doing any of that stuff.

The question is do you want to learn more, or do you want to use it as a daily driver, a dependable work environment.

if you want to learn more, but you dont want to do arch/gentoo because of stigma, thats not a good reason. If you want something that just works, it is a good reason.

Never tried arch, Gentoo was a lot of arbitrary compiling. I probably learned the most going through OpenBSD/FreeBSD, and slackware tho. Maybe just try pushing yourself into trying to set up a fileserver or webserver on your lan

You're a pinheaded fag that doesn't actually know anything about computers.

Serious question:
Why use Linux?

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux#Why_use_GNU.2FLinux.3F

smartos does look good, looks like it came out of joyent, so that's promising.

but the community / docs look pretty sparse beyond the official documentation.

but its got zfs, a salt driver and a web api / client.

not sure if you can do rdp to the guests out of the box, but it looks good to me.

There is some kind of VNC server out of the box.

so this is probably going to be my weekend
gg

who /technician/ here?
I'm going to spend today building a persistent bootable rescue usb, similar to hirens.

Has anyone done this before? Advice?
I'd also love tool recommendations, if you have any.

>The question is do you want to learn more, or do you want to use it as a daily driver, a dependable work environment.

That's not remotely what the question was. It was whether Mageia had something to it which one would find particularly useful. I appreciate the eagerness to help, but I know where I am on my path and where I intend to go.

I know the clicky thing makes the little arrow move around on the magical rectangle.

>That's not remotely what the question was. It was whether Mageia had something to it which one would find particularly useful. I appreciate the eagerness to help, but I know where I am on my path and where I intend to go.

you cant even explain what your use case is, so how can anyone suggest whether or not its going to be useful.

the tl;dr answer is -
probably not
my tl;dr editorial -
you really dont seem to

how to use ffplay in youtube-viewer?

ffplay -nodisp $(youtube-dl -f worstaudio -g youtube.com/watch?v=KEeFNvvR-ng)
works in terminal

how to apply it in youtube-viewer.conf instead of

youtubedl_audio => {
arg => "--no-ytdl ffmpeg://\$(youtube-dl -f bestaudio -g *URL*)",
cmd => "mpv",
},

What is your log-in like?

I uninstalled LightDM, so now my laptop loads directly into a black terminal Log-in prompt and then I copy/pasted a conditional from the internet to my .bashrc file along the lines of "if DISPLAY is active then startx" and it works.

What do you think of this? It seems to be the lightest possible log-in solution. Why waste time/resources having a GUI log-in screen?

What even is this program?
Why do you want ffplay ove mpv?
Anyway, I guess you replace mpv with ffplay -nodisp

I tried to switch over to linux from Windows for my home server and one thing i found abosolutelly and utterly horrible is the file permission systém

like let's say i have 5 files, file1, file2 etc..
i have two usergroups. i want usergroup1 to access file1 file2 file3 and usergroup2 to access file3 file4 file5.. aaand i'm fucked because file can only have one group.. so yeah i can create separate group for jsut file3 but that is fucking retarded, and what if several users are in group1 and i create group3 for file 3 so i can put my user20 into group3 because i only want him to have access to file 3, but then user1 and user2 are fucked because the file 3 is no longer in usergroup1.. so i would have to add user1 and user2 to the group3 after the fact and it's jsut beyond fucking complicated and retarded...
what the fuck linux? do you have any idea how easy is this shit to set up on Windows? The difference is abysmal and this is jsut basic access rights shit too

you don't need persistency for repair recovery sticks son

Could you explain me what exactly is the difference between the windows managers?

What changes between marco (no compositor, software compositor, compton) and which one is ideal to use?

I think my SSD (Intel 530 120GB) sucks major dick.
What's the proper way to benchmark it, something more informative than dd?

It's a program that literally manages windows: where to draw them, workspaces, decorations, etc.
Pick the one you like, you can even use them standalone without the bulky desktop environment.

Yes but I don't see an immediate obvious difference for example between marco software compositor and compton. Whereas compiz is much fancier

What the fuck do you answer to people asking you "hey user, can i watch movies on your so called linux"

Compton isn't a WM like compiz is. Compton is usually used to add shadows and blend transitions and small fluff like that, or to fix VSYNC.

>Who are you, how did you find my lair and why should I not rip your souls from your mortal flesh right now, maggot?!

Ok thanks

because this is the Friendly thread. Go make an asshole gnu/linux thread

What is the best linux distro? I don't feel the need for distro hopping so I'd like to know the best so I can go on with my life.

Gentoo

So how well does windows handle ext4 Vs Linux with ntfs?

In particular I have some software that doesn't have an option to change the database location, so it needs to share an install folder. I'm wondering which is the more reliable way of handling this, since I know ntfs is slower in linux b

I'd just like to interject ...

Xubuntu LTS

If this is your first distro: Ubuntu, don't fall for Mint, else Debian, don't fall for Arch.

I will rephrase my question -- how do i politely say that questions like this is incorrect and person asking the question is tech illiterate.

just install arch fagget

I'm having a weird problem, I'm trying to create a bootable Arch USB, which I've had no problems doing before, but now it only writes a partition that's about 40 MB big. I've used both dd on OSX and Rufus and USBWriter on Windows but it's not working. Anybody have any idea what's going on?

There is none. It's easy to install a new distro anyways and get everything you need. (keep a list of things you like, write a bash script, run it, and enjoy)

I'm partial to any Ubuntu flavor that isn't main Ubuntu but I found myself frustrated and went to arch. I'm now on Manjaro.

If laptop, xubuntu or Ubuntu MATE. If desktop, maybe kubuntu.

I have a PC and a laptop, and I can use SSH over LAN.
How would I go about setting it up so I can bring the laptop to uni (or anywhere really), connect to wifi there and SSH into the PC which is sitting at home?

The one I'm using.

Just installed Ubuntu and it was working fine, but now suddenly the mouse stopped working. The pointer just doesn't move. Any clues how to fix this? Any logs that I can check for what's going on?

Is it plugged into a USB? Does your keyboard work?

Check for heartbeat, if dead, throw away.

Keyboard works
Mouse works on windows and UEFI

what is the best lightweight distro for daily use?

Oh well no idea then. I was gonna say if it's a USB mouse it might be an IOMMU option you needed to tick in your bios but if the keyboard is USB I'm out of ideas. Maybe open a terminal, type lspci -v and look for the mouse and see if it was claimed by a driver.

Lubuntu

The one this guy is using:

samefag

The same one you would use at the weekends.

This thread is nothing but satire. ;_;

Okay, this is weird, I flashed a Ubuntu ISO and then the Arch ISO and now it works.

New question, does Kubuntu run fine on a Macbook Pro with 4 GB RAM and an i5-2435m processor?

How badly does libreboot affect the battery life of an X200?

Has anybody tried using Linux without a desktop environment? You just boot into a terminal and when need to use GUI stuff, you launch it in X?

some are just curious. Why go @ them if they just want to know.

Yes people have and do.

are you an autistic retard? x was invented for a reason, because it makes everything 10 times faster to do
even headless server are managed via remote x sessions

>even headless server are managed via remote x sessions
lolno

Since installing Arch is a pain in the ass on Macbooks, can I install something like Ubuntu instead and replace the Ubuntu installation with Arch through there?

hope this helps. wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_from_existing_Linux

Can't be more difficult than what I'm trying to do now, I'll give it a shot

Linux 4.7 gives me OOM issues, so I tried switching to mainline (yes i know 4.8 will be out in a week).
Also, I'm testing out Ccache, a utility for speeding up recompilations.
AUR package compiled fine the first time, but every time I tried to compile it again (to test out Ccache) it failed with the following error:
DESCEND objtool
CC /home/user/.cache/pacaur/linux-mainline/src/linux-4.7/tools/objtool/fixdep.o
cat: /home/user/.cache/pacaur/linux-mainline/src/linux-4.7/tools/objtool/.fixdep.o.d: No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [/home/user/.cache/pacaur/linux-mainline/src/linux-4.7/tools/build/Makefile.build:78: /home/bus/.cache/pacaur/linux-mainline/src/linux-4.7/tools/objtool/fixdep.o] Error 1 make[3]: *** [Makefile:36: /home/user/.cache/pacaur/linux-mainline/src/linux-4.7/tools/objtool/fixdep-in.o] Error 2
make[2]: *** [/home/user/.cache/pacaur/linux-mainline/src/linux-4.7/tools/build/Makefile.include:7: fixdep] Error 2
make[1]: *** [Makefile:60: objtool] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:1595: tools/objtool] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in prepare().
Aborting...
:: failed to build linux-mainline,linux-mainline-headers package(s)

what do?
Disabling Ccache in makepkg.conf doesn't fix anything.

Post your CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/LDFLAGS from /etc/makepkg.conf

CPPFLAGS="-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2"
CFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4"
CXXFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro"

Since Lenovo hates GNU/Linux nowadays, is Dell xps the best modern laptop for GNU/Linux?

Probably. Don't they sell XPS 13s with Ubuntu?

What other distros other than Arch uses rolling release? I want to start dual booting Linux and I prefer rolling release but I've only managed to get Arch running in a VM.

>Hacking
>gain unauthorized access to data in a system or computer.
Tell me, are you really that retarded?

Reinstall Ubuntu and choose the option 'something else'. When the partitions come, choose the partition that you created from windows. It will say 'ubuntu whatever' and be the size you created.

Change it to.
-Use as et4 journaling file system
-check format the partition
-mount point /
-install

That's it. Don't touch any other partitions.

If you're not dual-booting, you can select "Erase entire disk and install ubuntu."

>boring day
>install gentoo
>setup vm
>not enough space
>raise to 10gb
>not enough space
>raise to 20gb
>not enough space
>raise to 50gb
>not enough space
And you tell me gentoo isnt bloated? Cant even stage3

why should I install fedora?

PEBKAC

it just works

If you don't have a reason to, you shouldn't.

essentially, the first question should be: "What do I want to do with my life?", and then start asking questions to find out which OS confirms to that lifestyle.

You might end up with Fedora, you might end up with AIX. Who knows?

I'm not going to buy a 6tb drive just for stage 3
BLOAT

Off the top of my head, OpenIndiana, TrueOS (formerly PCBSD), Gentoo and Debian. Why is that a factor for you

My stomach actually turned

Ubuntu, then install Openbox as the DE

>-mtune=generic
Not related to your problem but why on earth would you choose generic?

Did you clean before trying to recompile?
Clean the build source and delete the cache.
Something else that comes to mind is did you do 'make oldconfig' when to switched kernels?

You're a retard, 20gb is more than enough, heck I've had installs of 12gb.

I don't know what any of that means besides -march and -O2.
I'll just change both -march and -mtune to native, does that sound good?

I wiped the whole ~/.cache/pacaur several times and all those times I got the same error.

>did you do 'make oldconfig'
Nope. The only thing I did was install the AUR package.

You're full of shit
I LITERALLY just attempted to install it.
10>20>50
"NO SPACE LEFT ON DEVICE"
one partition no fancy shit
install-amd64-minimal-20160811.iso

There is no "best X for distribution".
Kill yourself.

>I'll just change both -march and -mtune to native, does that sound good?
Yes, native should pick up your hardware. I wouldn't do too much in changing those options but that's definitely one that you should tailor to your computer.

>Nope. The only thing I did was install the AUR package.
I'm not familiar with using AUR with kernels but if you're using the same config between two different kernels you need to make oldconfig so that any new or removed features are set properly.

Well the problem is you then, plenty of people can manage it. You fucked up somewhere.

Why do you need someone to approve of your decision? ARe you that insecure?

Really though I think you need to eliminate ccache first. Post the errors after you have got rid of that and then we can see what's going on.

Why? There is absolutely no reason to use just the text console and waste time starting up and shutting down X every time you start a GUI program. Having X running and using a terminal emulator from within is the sane choice. Unless you're a try-hard, retarded show off who wants to brag online that he intentionally inconveniences himself just to appear l33t.

You're an idiot and that's the most retarded thing you could have done.
First of all, installing Arch on a Macbook isn't any harder from other laptops. Secondly, installing Ubuntu first won't make it any easier for you and it's so stupid that I can't even think of an appropriately stupid analogy to compare it to.

>almost every word and letter are differently colored
You people don't get the point of color schemes, do you?

Huh, fully wiping ccache fixed the problem. Turns out just disabling it in makepkg.conf doesn't quite do the trick.
Thanks.

Cool, glad you fixed it. If you take out all the stuff you know you don't need in the menuconfig then the kernel shouldn't take you very long to compile, even without ccache.

No particular reason, I just like bleeding edge

>The Arch wiki has an entire separate page for Macbooks
>I-it isn't harder! You're just an idiot!

Sure m8

Any kind user can help me? I need more fine grained access stuff set for my files so i tried to use acl but it is not working i did this command
sudo setfacl -m u:dona:r sf_Dump
but it says Operation not supported
I am running the buntu 16.04 server

I'm going to upgrade my laptop soon and I want to get a Lenovo Yoga to dual boot Linux and Windows, but is it ttue that you literally can't install Linux on them because of the hard drive configuration?

Are there any reasons to use Arch instead of eg. Ubuntu?

>you cant even explain what your use case is, so how can anyone suggest whether or not its going to be useful.

managed to answer my question perfectly. I wasn't asking people to read my mind; I was simply asking if Mageia brought anything special to the table.

New >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It also has a page for Thinkpads, Latitudes and other specific laptops.