Do you guys use a RAM disk for Chrome, or whatever browser you use?

Do you guys use a RAM disk for Chrome, or whatever browser you use?

How is the experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/profile-sync-daemon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why would you?

Do you realize that browsers run on RAM regardless?

I use wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/profile-sync-daemon for Firefox and Chromium for preserving my SSD. I've noticed no difference from normal use.

You serious?

You shouldn't worry about your SSDs, unless if you want it to outlive you.

Are you?

Do you actually think it stores the web page content on your drive to display from?

Caching doesnt count, and would be foiled by a ramdisk anyhow

Ok

I have a 2gb ramdisk for all temp files including all temp internet files

>2GB
holy user you must not use much memory

How is it going for you?

Ramdisks are kind of obsolete now that SSDs are a thing.

They were big in the mid 00s because spinning rust is slow. But there will be negligible noticeable improvements over just using an SSD.

Intel is due out soon with a new SSD technology that is 1/5th as fast as RAM itself

Damn

I don't use a RAM disk, browsers are intelligent about keeping stuff in memory if they have a good reason to & I have an SSD.

Seems pointless then

Running in an ssd is about the same as using a hard disk as virtual memory, it will always be slower. The sata spec won't really allow for an older machine's ssd to outperform ram, if they come out with nonvolatile memory that is as fast as ram there will be no point to have any other connector except that standard once it becomes affordable.

Firefox reads from disk a shit ton on startup.

Im not sure how intelligent it is when it didn't even have a working garbage collector until 3 years ago and multi-threading this month.

now that's how you abuse an hov lane

Intel is actually aiming for software-based SSDRAM with their new Xppint shit. I mean they might as well if it's really that fucking fast with basically no latency at all. it's been confirmed that using Xpoint SSDs for ram in some way is in the works

M2/PCIe x4 is a fairly standard connection by now (im sure its what Xpoint will be released on if not just straight PCIe), and it can support the max bandwidth of dual channel DDR3
That's not far off from normal ddr4 ram today, especially if it has insane capacity capabilities

interesting... how much ram does it usually use for you?

Have noticed literally no difference. I noticed more difference moving my Photoshop scratch disk to my RAMDISK than moving my firefox temp.

But photoshop eats ram like its nothing, you're losing 2GB of regular ram, is it worth it?

Well I've got 16 to play with and have it set to use up to 12. Haven't seen it max out yet and the improvement in things like brush speed is noticeable, so yes I suppose it is worth it.

Fuck it, I guess i'll pass on RAM disks...

Okay so now that we know that RAM disks don't really do shit. Is an SSD a worthy upgrade? Hopefully 1TB drives are cheap for black friday and I will get one to replace my year old WD blue.

This thread is retarded and you're a faggot. Drill a hole in your iphone was good, this isn't even funny.