What is the difference between computer engineering and computer engineering technologies?

What is the difference between computer engineering and computer engineering technologies?

CE/CS are practically the same. Never heard of engineering technologies

I was once told a CE is a CS major with a EE minor, is this fair?

It probably varies depending on your school. At Texas A&M you can get a BS in Computer Engineering

Close but not quite. Its far more closely aligned to EE as it deals with significantly more low level programming, where cs deals with a lot more high level methods.
CE: VHDL,assembly etc
CS: java, C++

At least at my uni anyway

I'm a CS major without an EE minor but when I took an internship my title still had engineer in it.

I do kinda wish I had classes on VHDL, assembly (more than just a couple assignments), etc. Luckily I can learn that shit on my own with the right books and/or projects.

I wanna make the next Minecraft game and be a billions aire. Should I do cs or ce???

How much do you study a day?

As an HVAC tech, where do I sit on this scale?

Good tier?

Whats the difference between Mech. engineer and Mech. Engy

Heating ventilation air conditioning Tech??

Currently working through ACCA papers. Financial management is so shit, tax is alright but I know a lot of it already.

yes sir

Do the VR nanodegree from Udacity and start building a portfolio.

Honestly if you plan to go straight into indie dev/startup, a college degree will likely be a painful, stressful waste of time.

There are some worthwhile classes, but nothing that can't be taught with the right books (Software Engineering stuff is helpful, but the methods are all from books like Gang of Four, so taking it as a class won't do anything beneficial for you beyond adding a likely half-assed project to your portfolio)

That's actually the best image of its type except mathematics, physics, and chemistry should all be put down to Great Tier.

At my school, the first two years were pretty similar to EE with some additional programming. Started to diverge junior year. From there I did a bunch of embedded systems fun, some verilog, and relatively low level software areas like compiler design.

I transferred schools and changed majors from CS to CE, so I've seen both, and I'd say it's the other way around. covered the differences in programming courses pretty well (we had to do Java, VHDL, C, and a comparably small amount of assembly). One major difference is that almost all the CS classes are "theoretical" (algorithms, design patterns, etc), while for CE the classes were split (we had a years worth of electrical labs, but also took semi-theoretical stuff like signal processing). The difference is pretty well summed up in the general gists of the capstones: the CS seniors would program full-stack phone apps, whereas the CE seniors would build robots.

Where is webdev?

>computer engineer
>unbelievable
ㅋㅋㅋ

nice meme
but an EE shits all over the face of a CE fag

programming is simple shit,
all of it is literally a meme. most people here cannot even operate a fucking multimeter.

with EE you have to actually understand how things work. you are dealing with psychics and the real world,
its not for babies

Yeah ok, let me waste my time taking power systems courses when I want to go do ASIC design or something.

I work in academia and lol @ the top half of that list.

I wouldn't put half of those even in the "good" tier if you're talking money, and given that's all anyone seems to fucking care about I'm certain it is.

Most of those have no future outside of working in Academia and it's like traversing a circle of hell to get TT gigs in any of them.

Most of those will have you making about as much after graduation as a guy with 5 years in a skilled trade (who will have been making money the whole time you spent paying out the ass for a degree).

Most engineering is a fucking trap unless you try insanely hard to network and spend more time hunting for your job than actually earning your bachelors or masters.

Don't get a phd unless you plan on being in academia because it renders you nearly unemployable.

I am an EE student, I just mentioned the classes I share with the CEs

>the CS seniors would program full-stack phone apps
At my school it's writing parts of a compiler, or in some cases a full compiler depending on the teacher.

Full stack software is reserved for the Software Engineering class.

>falling for the trade meme

My experience might differ from others because I go to an "engineering" school that bills itself on practicality, and part of the capstones is that your project needs to be sponsored by a faculty member, so the people who pitch completely legitimate ideas like "I want to implement a compiler which uses only x86 exception handling" lose out to big-money ideas like "We write an app that doctors can use to view all their patients charts in real-time on their smartphone". Thus the capstones are skewed relative to their immediate usefulness rather than their educational value.

>mfw I fell for that chart back when I started browsing this site as a teenager and nearly ruined my life trying to become an engineer
I literally fell for the meme.

then why is every EE a gigantic weeping manbaby?

At my school CE is EE with courses on C/embedded systems programming.

>tfw History

i dont get it
like, i get how poli sci is shit tier, but im poli sci computer science double major, thinking about adding economics or finance as a third major
but anyway, I'm only second year here and I've got an internship for poli sci that's paying 500 a week plus reimbursement for gas. What's so shit tier about that?
i mean christ im making more money in school than most of the engineering kids make in their first internships out of school

>you are dealing with psychics and the real world,
its not for babies

i got you homeslice, idk what the hell you can do with it without another major too but history is neat

A journeyman pipefitter certed to weld will make more money than most CS graduates and be making that money for longer, and won't have a ton of debt to show for it.

It's hard to tell CS majors this however, because they all seem to think they're going to be making bank at coastal startups and not janitoring some really awful java app or other garbage in an area they'll barely be able to afford to live in.

Unless you're extremely, extremely talented (you aren't. yes, you. you reading this) or you're really in it because you like the subject enough that you're happy doing it for less money than you could be making otherwise, academia is basically a scam at this point.

I say that as someone in the system. If someone told me I could've spent most of my 20's making money and having a life and building equity instead of this shit I would've went skilled trade or punched out at my bachelors and did something else.

also

We don't need a list of what is going to be most useful to the MIC in the next decade. That's all that you actually listed there. The MIC doesn't want people understanding the actual history that brought us to this point, they just want a bunch of functionally illiterate buffoons who half-seriously joke about dropping nukes on the Middle East. Oh, but they can sure run some algorithms in their head and they are all about "solving" all of the "problems."

>tfw masters in civil engineering
>earn 160k AUD
>coworkers are nice
I've finally made it guys.

this is true. I'm graduating with like next to no debt, but my friend who went right into a factory job is already making more money than i likely will out of school, and he will have been doing it for 4 more years than me too.
fuckers got like 10k saved up and around 8k worth of cars he's flipping, plus around 10k worth of cars he drives. I know that isn't much in the grand scheme of things but its a lot more than my poor student ass has

>academia is a scam
>building "equity" isn't
kek, the government had to bail out the "banks" because the entire housing market is predicated on a scarcity that doesn't exist. Your entire life is just a subsidy. Welcome to 2016.

This is why you don't live in areas with real estate bubbles.

Which coincidentally, are basically places where most of the idiots here wanna land.

You have a sad little microeconomic perspective.

I'd rather sleep on a couch in the Bay Area than stay in a luxury penthouse in Cincinnati.

>living in cuck cities

If you're cool with being poor and under/unemployed to sleep on that couch in the insanely shitty, overrated bay area be my guest.

You aren't going to be the next Steve Jobs. You're going to be a wage slave that makes near six figures but has less takehome than some guy welding cars in the midwest- renting a tent in some assholes back yard for $2000 a month while the other guy has his house and vehicles paid off before he's 30.

>History
It's "Meh tier" at least, history is an important subject

Thank you. Yours truly, Mr. Chinese Investor charging $2000/month per 100 square feet room.

love this asshurt autistic denial here.
people really think software engineering isn't a meme

Anything with the word technologies behind it is a down grade and will be paid less.

The basis is,
the engineer completely understands the workings of whatever it is, and looks to find improvements on it.
the one in technology simply maintains and repairs whatever the engineer has created. They often have no understanding of how the technology actually works, they just memorize the steps to fix common issues.

economics is applied mathematics

Yeah but not at the same level...

>MY THING IS GOOD, URS IS DUMB AND A MEME

god damn you are defensive about pointless shit

>CE major here
CE is a useless degree. It's like EE, but with a quarter of the courses replaced with useless garbaage... and half of the EE courses are already garbage at my university.

hit it right on the head here

Software Engineering and Computer Engineering are two different things buddy.

I'm pursuing mathematics, but realistically don't know what jobs are available besides teaching. All I know is that I don't care and enjoy any subjects as much as I do about math.

I want to work for nasa

Did anyone even answer your question?

Generally, whenever you put "technologies" or "technician" at the end of some sort of engineering degree, it means it's a watered down version of the base degree, e.g. computer engineering technologies is somewhere between a 2-year associate's degree and a real computer engineering degree.

At many higher tier schools, these tech degrees aren't even available. It's a tough thing to market when you're on the job hunt. People who take it tend to start off with the real engineering degree but can't hack it for some reason (usually the math) and do the tech version instead.

I've met a few CE/EE techs that really knew their stuff but they are extremely few and far between relative to the general CE/EE tech population.

As for the whole CE/EE/CS debate that rages on and on and on:

CE/EE is in the same department for a reason. Generally the first two years are very similar, and no, first two years of engineering aren't simply general ed bullshit; you'll be taking your 100/200 level engineering courses such as circuit analysis, digital design, etc.

Third/fourth year they'll diverge drastically. Something like ASIC design (CE) is pretty different from say... antenna design (EE, I am actually an RF engineer btw), and there is far less in common with CE and CS than people tend to think. The vast, vast majority of the classes that make CE computer and not electrical are not ever taken by CS people, nor do CS people have anything comparable (again, something like ASIC design or even advanced digital design).

CS is in another department completely, with good reason.

>I want to work for nasa
Then mathematics isn't a bad choice, but you're looking at a master's minimum.

Yeah that's not a problem, I'm down for that. That's endgame of course, I was also looking at financial stuff for big companies. Riot games sounds like a meme but their hiring page makes the company look very attractive

This

CE is probably 75% EE shit though. You're not confusing CE with Computer Science or Software Engineering are you?