U.S. Army Special Operations Command is dumping its Android tactical smartphone for an iPhone model

>U.S. Army Special Operations Command is dumping its Android tactical smartphone for an iPhone model.

>The iPhone 6S will become the end-user device for the iPhone Tactical Assault Kit – special-operations-forces version Army’s Nett Warrior battlefield situational awareness tool, according to an Army source, who is not authorized to speak to the media. The iTAC will replace the Android Tactical Assault Kit.

>The iPhone is “faster; smoother. Android freezes up” and has to be restarted too often, the source said. The problem with the Android is particularly noticeable when viewing live feed from an unmanned aerial system such as Instant Eye, the source said.

>When trying to run a split screen showing the route and UAS feed, the Android smart phone will freeze up and fail to refresh properly and often have to be restarted, a process that wastes valuable minutes, the source said.

>“It’s seamless on the iPhone,” according to the source. “The graphics are clear, unbelievable.”

>Nett Warrior as well as the ATAC and soon-to-be-fielded iTAC basically consist of a smartphone that’s connected to a networked radio. They allow small unit leaders to keep track of their location and the locations of their soldiers with icons on a digital map.

>They are also designed to help leaders view intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance sensor feeds such as video streams from unmanned aerial systems.

>The Nett Warrior system uses a Samsung smartphone worn in a chest-mounted pouch and connected to networked radio General Dyanamics AN/PRC-154A Rifleman Radio. Nett Warrior evolved from the Army’s long-gestating Land Warrior program. Army officials began working on that system in the mid-1990s and over the next decade struggled with reliability and weight problems.

>The special operations forces’ ATAC and iTAC use a smart phone connected to a Harris AN/PRC 152A radio.
Why aren't Android devices combat reliable?

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/us_army_shockingly_discovers_that_the_galaxy_note_ii_is_slower_than_an_iphone_6s-blog-19497.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Install gentoo

So this they dropped the ban on gays serving openly.

>Allow gays and trannies in the military
>Suddenly everyone needs to be using iPhones

Pottery.

topkek

my guess is the samsung phone is overheating, and passive cooling heatsinks aren't fit for extreme weather conditions.

Also they didn't give the specs of the samsung device, an iphone has a faster cpu than an old samsung device.

Android can lag for several reasons, the iphone will lag as well when its 110 degrees outside and its been running a livestream of a camera feed.

My opinion is that switching to the iphone will reduce mission capability due to not having interchangeable batteries, low screen resolution, and lack of support for android applications.

Why they would use a samsung phone over lets say a sony xperia that is WATERPROOF is another gaping example that something is wrong with their selection.

>galaxy s3 vs newest iphone

So I guess they'll be switching back when the iPhone 8 releases.

>Why aren't Android devices combat reliable?
>Samsung smartphone

Can you read? are you retard?

Weren't they using Galaxy S2s or something?

>blame Android on the fact they can't get anyone to code a fucking app for shit
>and these idiots are the US Military
>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all

Save me in the /r/Cred Forums screen cap XD

Sounds insecure.
How do they prevent hostiles from just picking a phone off a dead guy?

/thread

never change

ayylmao

>use outdated android phones running on ice cream sandwich
>complain about lag
lel

>both iOS and Android contain spyware
>mfw Apple and Google can spy on the military if they wanted to
>mfw one of their diverse employees with access to the mined data can give away troop positions to his terrorist friends

Why does the military use corporate spyware devices, especially made by corporations that don't really like Americans very much?

Because the government is owned by said corporations.

The difference is that with Android the military can modify the code as much as they want.
With iOS they have no access.

This really makes no sense. They should buy one of the cheaper Chinese phones in bulk and flash custom Android ROMs onto it to get devices more durable, faster, more secure, better battery life, than iPhones. Instead they waste their money on locked down "premium" devices to do the same thing.

>Android Tactical Assault Kit.
>Galaxy Note II

gsmarena.com/us_army_shockingly_discovers_that_the_galaxy_note_ii_is_slower_than_an_iphone_6s-blog-19497.php

TouchWiz, throttling, badly written Android application. Still not really Android's fault.

Oh yeah, buying chinkshit spyware tech for Military intelligence purposes. What could go wrong?

That's literally what they're doing now though.

Chinks know more about iOS security flaws than the US government.

Note 2

What do you mean? They are very reliable grenades

The memes are real, oh my god.
All its missing is a deal with Starbucks for coffee supplies and it's over.

Only American cellphone company big enough to support the military, u want the us to use gook phones?

Everything is made in China anyway.

They don't have to use the Military credit card to pay for it. Make it appear like a private/corporate purchase. Wipe all the software on it and install their own shit.

Fuck, if we will use the Chinese botnet phones then there should be no reason to disapprove of the military doing so.

>using Samsung
>Touchjizz
Who here is surprised?

>The Nett Warrior system uses a Samsung smartphone
>Android freezes up” and has to be restarted too often, the source said.
blame touchjizz

The iPhone is literally keeping America safe and Androidfags will still defend their shitty malware tool.

GG

Somehow i'm not surprised

>The iPhone is literally keeping America safe
By waging war on other countries?

Also, terrorists using iPads with an app to help target their mortar rounds.

>By waging war on other countries?
You want to fight here or there?

>6s
>a phone that doesn't survive the back pocket
>for military

>any consumer piece of shit
>for military
Sure the military has money to develop a specialiced unit?
I mean
THIS IS WHERE YOUR TAX MONEY GOES.

iPhag 7 users BTFO

Should be shooped to have Pokemon Go.

Hello pissphone v2.0

I don't understand why they're using civilian phones and not some mil-tech MoD shit

What do you not understand about flashing custom Android Roms?
Do you really expect anything better from our dumb burger military?
This, so much this.

underrated

Neither android nor iOS should be used by the military.
The military should be making their own mobile device for this sort of thing. They have enough funding to do it, but instead they waste it on a new line of tanks we really do not need. It's like if the CIA had windows or macOS installed on all of their computers. Why the fuck would you do something so stupid?

>1 billion iPhones sold since 2007
>1 in 7 of the world's population is homosexual

I'm not sure where this dank maymay came from, but you're either a Midwestern village poorfag or a pajeet.

billion iPhones sold since 2007
in 7 of the world's population is homosexual
>1 billion iPhones sold means that 1 billion different people bought iPhones
Are you really that retarded?

>being this delusional
Even the iphone 5 is still runing great on ios 10.

kek

Thank you rupee, 5 panjeets have been deposited into your account.

Because Samsung.

I don't find it far-fetched that 1/7th of the world isn't at least partly homosexual desu

>use a samsung phone over lets say a sony xperia that is WATERPROOF
you realize samsung has the Galaxy Active line that they release for AT&T every year right?

They have had a waterproof ruggidized phone with physical buttons (not capacitive) every year for several years.

>so insecure about your choice of fucking phone OS that you participate in these threads
Like competing in the Special Olympics, famalam.

>not understanding the decades old tradition of platform holy wars

ni/g/ga plz

I just don't think it makes much sense any more. Android and iOS are both great and have obvious pros and cons to each of them that should make it piss easy for anyone with half a brain to choose one. At least in earlier generations you had more differentiation to argue about. Now it's just beating a dead horse.

the Navy's aircraft carriers already have Starbucks on board lel

This is bullshit. Been on iOS 8 until I made the dumb mistake of updating and it pretty much made my 5s run like shit. Lots of stuttering and programs take twice as long to open.

>2010 + 6
>still using human soldiers
>not using assault robots
>not just using small drones with .22LR machine guns

Maybe do a clean install you autist

>U.S. Army does not have custom devices for that
>they use consumer grade phones

Fuck this shit.

yes we all remember how shit 8 was. its two years later and 10 is smooth on everything

Far cheaper to use readily available devices with custom software.

Its why shit like kiosks and atms and shit run windows pc with an app instead of 100% custom shit.

>Its why shit like kiosks and atms and shit run windows pc with an app instead of 100% custom shit.
They run embedded devices made for the service market. Not just stock customer Dells from your corner BestBuy.

Military being the biggest custom hardware market, a lot of countries have very custom shit.

Also, custom software? It's stock software running an "app". If it was custom software it would not even have those problems, but no, U.S. military does not work together with those companies to accomplish that.

Probably because Apple don't sells out to the government like Android does.

>American ''''''''''''''education'''''''''''

>Probably because Apple don't sells out to the government like Android does.
That's the problem, neither did the company whose Android phone they used.

>you're a homosexual if you use the most popular and widely known phone

Are YOU retarded? What manner of bubble do you actually live in? Don't you see that everyone has iPhones?

>Everything is made in China anyway.
No.

It has been known for decades that NSA has their own fab line. The reason should now be clearer than ever.

>What do you not understand about flashing custom Android Roms?
Flashing new ROM does not help much when the chipset has been compromised.

>Usa spends trilions dollars on military
>Stilll can produce own devices

Because they went with Samsung.

>can't

>Why aren't Android devices combat reliable?
Because of shit code / apps.
Surprisingly there are apps that render huge worlds in 60+FPS, but somehow it can't play a live feed AND show some data.

That's fucking bullshit.

Bullshit.
I had a 3GS and a 4S, same shit happened on both. The first major release worked kinda fine after the first bugfixes got pushed.

Then the second got slower.
And so on. At the third, fourth major version (if it received it at all), it became very slow.
And, of course, you get only like 90-80% of the features.

By the time you get to the last iOS supported on your device, you have around 30% of the features.

I'm not sure I care what they use in combat, so long as it fucking works.

Well, that's the thing.
Instead of fixing the shit app, they spend trillions again to write a new one from scratch.

And, of course, devices cost 2-3-5x times more.
Which is again, paid from taxes.

Military computers that matter are completely made in the USA.

The reason this works is because the DoD is cheap as shit.

Buying Androids, they probably got the cheapest, shittiest phone they could.

If they contracted someone to make one, they would choose the shittiest, cheapest one.

By using an iPhone, they have no option but to purchase a high quality phone. I know you all think they aren't high quality but unfortunately you're just wrong and they are.

This is why they are switching to iPhones.

Source: USASOC for 5 years.

I doubt, son.
You missed the news how Cisco and other equipment got pre-installed with malware during shipping and whatnot.

Sure?

Also see

>but unfortunately you're just wrong and they are.
Well if we compare them to MediaTek chip fitted cheap shit chink android devices, then indeed, you are right.

Also someone said it was a Galaxy Active or something. That's not bad, but the S6 and S7 Active is the only decent speed one on the market.

And again, you are right, they would just buy the oldest model anyway and call it shitty.
AND, I think it's just shit code.
Imagine if they just used a web page with embedded video feed or something. Trust me son, I fucking bet they did that.
Or something veeery similar.

I thought the apple TOS forbids the use of apple products in the use of war or some shit

T A X
A
X