Sup Cred Forumsuys, so I'm planning on learning unity3d for Android game development. Anyone experienced with it...

Sup Cred Forumsuys, so I'm planning on learning unity3d for Android game development. Anyone experienced with it? Is it worth learning? How did you learn it? Also I plan on using c# for the scripting, I got experience in c++ and Java and some basic understanding of Android app dev but never worked with c# or game engines. Any help would be appreciated.

i sstarted 2 years ago learning unity, you can learn it in about a month if you are not mental disable. just use tutorials on youtube and the fuking unity information the rest is all your skill

>I plan on using c# for the scripting
>Not using C# in Unity

I've personally used unity for both Xbox development and Android development. It has its downsides and upsides. I'd recommend it.

Unity is pretty good for android game development, but if you want a small game such as a flappy bird clone or similar size, unity is pretty bloated.

Also. Don't think you can do anything with threading. You'll just make yourself cry.

>unity 3d
>indie app developer
ohhh another one

Thanks, that was helpful

> "if you are not mental disable."

So from your experience how long does is take a "mental disable" to learn?

>not writing youre own framwork

just use ogre3d for 3d stuff or libgdx for 2d stuff
not as bloated and more room to wiggle

game maker studio is the best and most advanced game developing software for mainly 2d games.

Use unreal engine instead. It's similar, except uses c++ which you already know. It's also completely free.

Gane Maker is a joke and it's only usted by people who doesnt know a shit about programming.

and it doesn't have the tons of bugs that unity do have

I never knew ue can build games for android, it definitely seems much more promising, and c++ is love, thanks.

>C# engine on the JVM
>3D games without controller/MouseWASD

agreed

Well for the 3d movement part, virtual touchpad/joysticks can be added and yeah unity3d doesn't support Java but It seemed to be a pretty good game engine for android, although I'm considering ue4 now

>Android game development

except you need to know how to program to make things in it. GML(Game Maker's scripting language) is pretty similar to C. I don't see how it's not considered programming.

Anyway OP Unity is perfectly fine for android development. It's definitely worth learning. Unity has one of the best documented engines I've come across. That's the real reason it's so easy to learn. They seriously deserve a medal for that aspect.

>Any help would be appreciated
What type of help are you looking for? I mean it's going to entirely depend on what type of game you're making, and whether it's 3D or 2D.

>virtual touchpad/joysticks can be added
Have you tried it ? with anything less than a high-end multitouch phone, it's total uttershit, and even with a nice phone/tablet it's not that usable

>ue4
The engine itself is heavier than android

I'm aiming for a 3rd person touch friendly game, nothing too fancy, and by help I meant some reviews and advice on whether I should go with unity or some other engine. Unity seems to be much more friendly and seems to have more help and documentation online for learners, although this thread had now got me in a dilemma between unity and ue4. Although my focus is smooth and interesting gameplay rather than the graphics quality so I think I'm leaning towards unity, although the c++ part and open source nature is pretty cool about ue4

>I'm aiming for a 3rd person touch friendly game
a point & click then ?
>Although my focus is smooth and interesting gameplay rather than the graphics quality
are you a programmer or do you want a WYSIWYG engine+editor ?

if you are making a game for android just use android studio
>or anything other than Unity, please.

Whatever you do, DO NOT accept any publisher and "publisher" offers for your game

t. Steam gamedev