Should i learn Ruby or Python for my first programming language?

Should i learn Ruby or Python for my first programming language?

No

I fell for the Ruby meme. I'd go with Python.

Ruby
Python is trash

both are true

Python if you want a job

Python is good for starting mang. There's plenty of resources too so you can get started.
Once you get the hang of one language, then you can go to others a lot easier.

Doesn't really matter. I would worry more about starting than deciding which language to use. Ultimately it would be beneficial to learn both anyways.

Honestly, they're about the same - both good senpai. I went with Python when i was in high school and i have a six figure job now.

Learn Go.

Ruby is now SJW haven (used to be just a hipster haven). Python actually has some demand in the job market.

That's all you need to know

>Not starting with C and assembler
Enjoy being a code monkey.

BTW im asking because i want to go into Backend dev.

What does C and asm have to do with not being a code monkey? Code monkeys aren't language specific my friend.

Ruby is a comfy scripting language.

If you're learning programming for webdev or just for fun/out of interest, either Ruby or Python is a good choice.

If you want to be an actual programmer, learn C or C++ first.

Hello OP.

I was in your shoes once. I struggled learning, trying with Ruby, Python, JS... somehow it just didn't "click", I don't know why.

Then I said , let's try something completely different. And I tried with JAVA. And this time it's going well, I am a JAVA dev now.

Give JAVA as a chance as your first. If you learn JAVA, you can transition to everything later on... you'll have the foundaiton. To C++, to C#

>JAVA

C++ for God tier.
C# for microcock
Java for compatibility

Python and ruby are traaaaaysh

Yes, they are. If one were to program in a low-level language like ASM, there would be no hand-holding and it will be required to be familiar with data structures, algorithms, and all the other essential topics. The same goes for C, although it does make life a lot easier.

I actually agree with this.

As a JAVA dev I see C++ programmers as the "master race".

But JAVA is just more comfy, C++ is too "dangerous" because of the power it gives you.

I know my own limitations and I know I'm not smart enough for C++.

I just wanna make good money.

Spotted the underage redditor.

>data structures
>algorithms
Are you saying asm and C are the only languages that support these?

OP, seriously, listen to this guy:
You'll regret spending time with meme scripting languages.

Just choose between C++ and JAVA

C++ if you enjoy playing in hard mode

JAVA if you're interested in working as a dev and earning a good living.

Sonny, by the time I was programming microcontrollers for a living, you were still a twinkle in your parent's eyes.

>reading comprehension

>you really only understand data structures and algorithms with C and asm
Really makes you think

Again, that's not what I said, but you claim does have a lot of merit. After all, modern ``languages'' have the tendency of obscuring the inner workings of the system by means of garbage collections and high-level libraries and APIs.

Sorry Gramps, it's sometimes hard to distinguish the parroting between kids and dinosaurs like yourself.

OP here
Thanks for the advice im leaning more towards JAVA.
Can i use Java for backend DEV?
Would it be easier to learn Ruby and Python after learning JAVA?

Just learn full stack my friend. You should be familiar with everything anyway.

You'll find that once you start learning languages, learning new ones will become really easy. At first it seems like each is a totally different world, but once you get comfortable with one or two, each next one will come with less and less effort.

Java is definitely a good starting point - it's got a very C-like syntax, without having to deal with all the low-level stuff.

>Can i use Java for backend DEV?
Yes, I'm not sure how popular it is these days though.

C. Neither of those are useful.

Answering without memes:
>Ruby
Is fine, not the best beginner's language, but a nice language to work with generally. I don't use it regularly but I am happy to work on projects with it when called for. It was a backend fad for a while and it's dying down quite a bit now so beware, if you are trying to learn something that will make you readily employable right away, it's not a hot commodity.

>Python
Very beginner friendly language, scripting with Python is incredibly useful albeit considerably over-used in my estimation, and when in doubt about what to do start with Python for hobby projects. Many useful libraries exist. Python2 is great. Python3 is an abomination. With respect to employment you won't be starved for jobs but you will be fighting against large numbers of people with a passing familiarity of Python. Pretty much everyone knows python.

>Java, C#
The big OO languages. The most consummately corporate languages. Not particularly difficult to learn, but not nearly as trivial as Python or enjoyable as Ruby. Here be massive amounts of employment opportunities if you can stomach immersing yourself in some very dry libraries concerning the finer points of backend. You may or may not require copious amounts of uppers and curry to fit in.

>C++,C,Go
Learning curve goes parabolic here and employment opportunities aren't much better, arguably worse than Java. You'll become a much more competent and well-rounded person for learning one of these but if you start here you are more likely to fail and never return than with something else. Fair weather newbies need not apply. Bring a stout drink with you to debug, particularly with C++. On the up-side, if you manage to weather one or more of these then you'll find the rest trivial.

I skipped over JS and other notables but this is the cadre of languages I am the most familiar with. If you have any questions about one or want particular advice on getting started I will do my best to answer.

C++

>Python3 is an abomination
Why do you say that?

As a beginner language I'd recommend Python.

If you want to get serious later on, you'll probably have to learn Java or C++.

Unless you switch the paradigms completely and want something like Haskell, Scheme, Lisp etc., all imperative programming languages use the same concepts, so learning a new language just comes to learning what keywords and library calls to use.

Python3 is slow, ugly, and perpetually broken Python2 with Unicode support.

I choose ruby because I love my wrists.
Not have to type ; or () every fucking time make me feel less frustrating when debug programs.

Thankfully Ruby, Elixir and Crystal all allow me to do that, which covers all of my use cases.

I love Python, and if you only ever want to do backend it's a fine language to start with. But if you want to learn the hard way, and get the fundamental CS knowledge that will make it easier to escape when the web bubble bursts, you'll probably want to learn on C++. It's best to consider Python as a way to take shortcuts once you're already a good programmer.

>But if you want to learn the hard way, and get the fundamental CS knowledge that will make it easier to escape when the web bubble bursts, you'll probably want to learn on C++.
To be honest fham, when the web bubble bursts there are going to be far more than just webdevs out of work. Most devs are indirectly supported by the web bubble right now. If you are seriously concnered about that happening in the near future you should go get an engineering degree to pursue a skilled trade like welding, plumbing, carpentry, etc.

Python is a great language to start with. I don't know about Ruby.

Scheme is the best programming language to start with. Go for it.

golang.com

>JAVA

I write JAVA on a MAC

>bubble burst
why is this still a meme? are people going to... just stop using the internet?

X86 assembly

>goto
hell?!

I think you should learn python because is very simple and fast. It is a very powerful languagge.

Doesn't matter so long as you learn more languages afterwards.

For what it's worth I consider Ruby the better language but Python has a far wider set of tools out for it.

Any good books to learn JAVA?

Python is simple, Ruby is complex.

By very definition Python should be used.

Neither. They're too easy on three cider, too flexible. Use something lower and smaller, like C. If you start equity ruby it python, you'll probably never get beyond it.

None of them.
Learn Visual Basic

the coder. Not three cider