So my VM server is crashing for unknown reasons. Look inside, the south bridge is really really hot...

So my VM server is crashing for unknown reasons. Look inside, the south bridge is really really hot. As in "I don't want to touch that" hot. No "sane" way to attach a fan to the heat sinks. Cut some wood screws to the right length. Does the job so well.

MFW wood screws are the saviour.

Or you could have installed gentoo

Screwing machine/wood screws into extruded heatsinks is commonly done.

>VM server
>old enough to have seperate chipsets and only PCI slots
that isnt a server user, its a 15 year old shit box youre larping as a server.

>wood screws are the saviour
because you were too dumb to use a tap to threads holes?

The power of a computer isn't want decides if it's a server or not. If it's on/near your desk, it's a desktop. If it's in a closet in your basement, it's a server.

since you're in the closet are you a server?

>No redundant PSUs
>No ECC memory
>No RAID
>Nothing else redundant
>Its a server guise, not a shit box

> If it's in a closet in your basement, it's a server.
If it can run in a closet without over heating, it isnt a server

>No redundant PSUs
Redundant PSUs are over rated.

>No ECC memory
It has ECC.
>No RAID
It has RAID.

>Nothing else redundant
Doesn't need it.

>If it can run in a closet without over heating, it isnt a server
Seriously? *snort* Oh wait, you are serious. Bwahahahaha

Come back when can show more problem solving skills then an 8 year old.

I'll take "No True Scotsman" fallacy for, Alex.

You could also have used hot melt, unless it gets so hot that it actually melts, in which case I suggest getting a larger heatsink.

I see at least 2 PCI-X and 1 PCI-E slot.
This shit is definitely a server motherboard with ECC support and possibly even dual socket.
You are embarrassing yourself faget.

IIRC, it was 75-80 C. It would definitely have melted.

The PowerEdge T620 and HP DL380 G5's on my desk would disagree with you.

>Redundant PSUs are over rated.
In most non data center environments I'd agree with you. Unless your server is pulling huge load, in which case it's not so much redundancy as load balancing.

change your caps

Take a closer look at the caps...

IT'S SOLDIER TIME

upper left angle as well as the one just left of the fan on the bottom, probably some of the ones between the pci-x slots

Oh fuck. This is not going to be fun.

I just took a better look at the caps. Those near the RAM and CPUs are bulging. Those near the PCI slots seem to be OK.

The CPU and especially the RAM are really hot. I'm guessing this contributed to their rapid aging.

It's better to recap the entire board when some of the caps look like that. You can't always tell if the caps or good just by looking at them.

yeah, honestly, mine as well replace all the ICs as well.

not necessarily, of course overheating hurts, but most chips can withstand it up to some point (you would have smelled something wrong if it was that serious)

Yeah, I saw the other ones after I posted the edit.

Really, I'd suggest retiring the machine and going with something a generation newer. I'm guessing that you're running Nocona based Xeons. Even 5440's are going to be a step up, but LGA1366 stuff is cheap and DDR3 modules are bigger.

I mean heat is aging the caps.

I can't have this computer off for days on end if I fail while replacing the caps. So basically I need another motherboard. Dual socket LGA771 seem to be about 50 bux + 50 shipping.

I have 2x E5430 in there. Mobo is a DSBV-DX.
6x4 GB DDR2.

oh, i meant the cpu and ram
but you should consider a new board, repair that one and retire it as some less demanding machine (not a VM server)

And now I've been looking at the mobos of some other computers. They also need caps replaced.

I've never replaced caps. I just need to match uF and v rating, right. Through-hole.

How close to I have to match the physical dimensions? I'd assume diameter has to match so that the pins line up...

For my day job, yeah. I work at Sonic but I don't have any roller skates. Was kind of disappointed tbqh.

>I dont know what ESR is