/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/122123647918?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
originativeco.com/products/tada68
lenovo.com/psref/pdf/tabook.pdf
shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/0A36303/460/D91DC49376D94C4690E7BA925BCE90CA#0A36303
github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
ebay.com/itm/Ultrabay-SATA-2nd-HD-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Tray-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420i-T510-W510-T520-/221059818576
ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lenovo-T420-14-1-Laptop-Notebook-ThinkPad-i7-vPro-2-80GHz-4GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-/
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420s-Intel-Core-i7-2640M-2-80GHz-8GB-DDR3-500GB-14-/361750429657
insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/
lapstore.de/f.php/shop/lapstore/lang/en/
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X230-2325-5K8-XD4YP-12-5-WIN-10-8gb-120gb-SSD-i5-WEBCAM-AUT-106-/272389920591#shpCntId
digitaldepot.co.za/pc/memory/crucial-mnb-1066-8gb-kit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thinkpad 13 is superior to the shit that is T420 and X220

just bought a X201, seller jewed me out of a charger. What is the best charger for the money, oem/non oem? I also need it by Monday if possible

20V charger from amazon.

are the laptops from minifree.org just an over priced meme?

looking to get a T400 and a free bios would be preferable.

Why isn't X230 recommended as much as the X220? It looks more comfy and is supposed to better.

Question from last thread
So I bought a t420 it had the i5 2.6 ghz CPU and 6 GB of ram what are the chances of it having the good screen. Because the ad did not have that info and I didnt ask because I'm dumb.

>muh chiclet keyboard
x230 is superior to x220, maybe only keyboard layout is worse(keyboard itself feels better than the old one)

Got this in today ebay.com/itm/122123647918?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Installing openBSD on it rn. Even came with a privacy screen tabbed on. Gonna look around work tomorrow for an i7 to swap in.

>P50 was stopped by customs

WHAT

>tfw x220 will be here tomorrow

Will be my first thinkpad (or windows based laptop for that matter). Looking forward to playing with the clitmouse.

Feeling pretty good today

False
OS X on a Thinkpad. Prolly gonna replace with Win7 again

>have 2 laptops (1 xubuntu, 1 windows 10) already
>want a thinkpad for dat aesthetic and durability
>refurbished t420 and t430 near me for $150 each

help

I just can't stand the low screen resolution on these old Thinkpads anymore. Anything less than 1920x1080/1200 is just too frustrating to use.

The X220 with an HD screen would be perfect

noice, whats that keyboard? where to cop?

which model is this? t430? pretty neato

originativeco.com/products/tada68

Out of the eight keyboards I own, this is probably my favorite. Can't beat that value, and the design is just so good.

The clitmouse is great. At first it will feel weird and your cursor will be all over the place. which is what turns most people off, but once you get used to it, it's much nicer than swiping the trackpad all the time. Give it some time.

Those are suspiciously good prices, make sure there's nothing wrong with them.

Yeah. The idea of not having to take my hands off the keyboard is beyond appealing for me, so I'll just go right in and disable the trackpad from the start. Do I disable it in the BIOS or can I do that from within BotnetOS?

ehh, i mainly use it for note taking and what not, so the resulution isnt really a big deal for me

x220, got it extremely cheap with and ssd when keeping in mind i live in denmark, and its got the nordic keyboard.

nice keyboard.
what caps are those?

See Gateron dyesubbed PBT in cherry profile.

don't fucking cheap out
just buy a used official one from ebay for $20 (i got a 170 watt one for $25 with 2 day)

Agreed the x230 annoys me just because of that.
Cant wait till I am able to get another one with higher res screen

Learn to navigate the tabook.

The tabook REALLY should be part of the sticky.

lenovo.com/psref/pdf/tabook.pdf

In case I get killed by a rolling fat chick, spread this useful .pdf around. READ the motherfucker and you will learn much. The psref is vital to hunting Pads.

Overpriced meme.
You can do the same libreboot flashing that they sell for £150 for free with a raspberry pi.

Does the A22m use the same lid latches as the T20?

Sorry, I'm new to this meme
but where would the best place to buy batteries for x220 or Getac S400? Because I can't find a place anyplace where I could possibly buy Thinkpad battery +19 dock .

I want another laptop to use like a ereader/tablet. What is the longest battery life laptop I could get? Would it be worth it buying a new or used x260? If I wanted to go cheap are the Lenovo netbooks good in the battery life dept?

buy x220t with 9cell battery and add the Thinkpad battery dock

But that's what my current laptop is... Minus the t. I don't have to have touch screen I'd just like for it to last longer on a battery

Stack up on those 9cell batteries m8
>at least I do not have to carry the charger and lookout for outlets

>I want another laptop to use like a ereader/tablet.

Lots of good ereaders and tablets out there for similar money to putting Pads together. Me lubs my Pads tho.

What CPU do you guys have in your x220?
What speed is it running at? I'm going to upgrade the RAM and CPU soon, so was wondering how much I could upgrade by.

You know you have to buy a whole motherboard to upgrade the CPU in the X220, right? It's not socketed like the T420.

ah shit

Is the battery life really different between a 1080p and 1440p screen resolution for an X1 carbon?

My old laptop is totally fucked and I'm interested in getting a thinkpad - what's the best thinkpad I can get for about 100 dollars used or new?

Seeinstall gentoo

T400/X200

T410/X201 should be in that price range, but it seems like they're closer to $150-$200, which is closer to the T420/X220 price range. Weird. Might take some hunting to find a reasonably priced one, but the performance increase over Core 2 Duo would be well worth it, unless you're the sort that cares more about your freedoms.

I like the idea of X220T but seriously using a laptop as a tablet/ereader sounds stupid IMO
You can get an android tablet or a ebook for less money with better screen, weight and battery life

Can a thinkpad support more than one drive?
I'd like to run a SSD and a HDD together in one.

sucka you can put three drives in that bitch

Is $300 worth it for a new 11e? It's just a standard not yoga with a intel quad core n3150, 8gigs of ram, and 120gb SSD. I'm just looking for something basic for my last year of school and a good basic laptop after.

>tfw no 14" ultrabase so you can run four drives on the go without having to remove your wlan card

Plenty of thinkpads support three drives at the same time.

x220?

No, X220 supports two.

mSATA ssd + ssd or hdd in the main drive slot.

You can get three drives in an X220 with an Ultrabase. More or less doubles the thickness of the machine, though.

thin laptops are for fags anyway

So is this a good deal or is this thread still about how many dicks you can fit a Thinkpad?

>new Thinkpad
>cheap model that isn't T, P/W, or X2**
It's never worth it.

still using my 4 year old x230. this thing is immortal.

How come?
The specs are really good for the price and the hardware seems good since it's targeted towards education.

Also the portability is pretty big thing for me.

You can do dual MSATA SSD in the 2.5 x 7mm bay, and also have another in the mini pcie slot for a total of three.

>You can get an android tablet or a ebook for less money with better screen, weight and battery life

You were right until you said battery life, The battery life between a brand new netbook is about the same as a tablet, with a better availability of software.

why are thinkpads so great? Ive been using them all my life and never saw them mentioned, I thought they got significantly worse after lenovo?

The T420 replacement battery has shit reviews online, what would Cred Forums recommend?

shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/0A36303/460/D91DC49376D94C4690E7BA925BCE90CA#0A36303

aliexpress

T420 compatible battery

a) will work with latest BIOS
b) not burn my house down

???

nigger are you out of your god damn mind?

shipping seems pricy

you're crazy look at what happened to samsung

shop around on ebay i bought a 9cell new in box for 50. i know it's almost double but it's worth knowing it's not going to fucking explode while my laptop is you know on my lap

Paid $50 for my Chinese 9-cell from Ali for my T420, 117 cycles and still no issues.

I don't have Amazon so for me it's a Chinese battery or no battery at all.

was it 55++ or 70++?

thx

There's several dangers to buying batteries from unknown sources, specially from Chinese retailers (no xenophobia) I'll explain why.

Nearly all of the electronic waste from Europe and the USA ends up in China, so that battery you're buying is either.

Used
New Housing / Used innards
New Housing / Lower than rated innards

If it were a new battery with new cells it would cost three times more.

Mine doesn't overheat and lasts around 6 hours of watching muh weeb cartoons so i think it's fine.

I'll buy even the most volatile shit if that means not needing to have my laptop plugged in to be able to use it though.

For owners of **30 series and higher thinkpads, I read that those models have battery DRM. What are you going to do when you need to replace your battery? Will you really spend a couple of hundred bucks on a lenovo battery?

Im thinking of spending $80 on 9cell newegg battery, they claim to be lenovo legit.

But you can replace the keyboard with the X220 one.

>t420
None of them are "the good screen." They're all awful.

No matter what it comes with you're gonna want to swap in either an Alienware M14x (glossy) or X1 Carbon 1st gen (matte but needs extension cable) to have anywhere near decent viewing angles.

Get the T430 then.

$150 for T420 is normal

I disabled the battery DRM with the embedded firmware flash mod that also allows for usage of the **20 series keyboard

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec

me too

really? no hardware modding required? will have to look into this

check ebay senpai

ptew ptew ptew

170 for x220 tablet, crazy good deal or likely scam?

My thinkpad was getting hot so I checked the fan and there was this huge ball of dust and fluff clogging up the fan.

How does this even happen?
And how do I prevent this from happening again?
It's getting kind of annoying having to clean out my fans every 6 weeks.

Get an air filter and quit living in filth user

You'll need to either file down some tabs on the bottom of the board or make the tab holes for them taller, but yeah, nothing else. The flash is all software-based, all you need is a Linux to compile the image with and a USB stick to flash it with

interesting, this has made significant progress since the last time I read about it
Thanks for the info

Yup. Only things now that don't work are one or two Fn+Fkeys combinations and the Caps Lock light. Everything else works perfect.

Sounds about fine.

>chrome
>mac os
>not on a mac
absolutely consider an Sudoku

the x220 tablet's prices have been tanking lately, so that sounds about right
vacuum more often
you should be doing it once a week if you have pets, or once ever two weeks if you dont

remove kot

>x220, got it extremely cheap with and ssd when keeping in mind i live in denmark, and its got the nordic keyboard.

A fellow Dane! Are you me?
How much did you pay? Also got my X220 lately but overpaid a bit since I wanted it too much.
And also got that Stryer-book. Wanted to take a pic similar to yours just for shit and giggles but I think the book is stashed at my parents place.

Anybody uses OSX on thinkpad?
What's the driver support like? Easy install?
Thinking of giving it a try.

I'm really struggling to find a 1600x900 T420 in Britbongistan. This seems like the only one with a refurbishment and decent return policy. My last Thinkpad X200 had tons of problems and the seller wouldn't allow returns so I'd like to be careful this time.

How's the price? I don't care about ram, already got 8gb in spare laptop sticks lying around. If any Britbongs know of a reliable place for a T420 I'm all ears!

t420 is arriving tomorrow
have i made a mistake?

get an msata ssd for it

I'm about to pull the trigger on X220T, what are my chances of repairing it if something goes wrong in a month or two? Memory/storage is easy-peasy to get but how hard getting a new mobo for it would be? Does X220T use same mobo as X220?

I'm thinking about getting a refurbished 8GB T410 with i5 2.40ghz and 128GB SSD HDD off Amazon for $289.

I don't mind paying more since I'm a retard when it comes to knowing if I'm being shafted by someone on Craigslist, I like Amazon's return policy, and I don't want to have to repair/do anything to it other than turn it on.

I've never used a Thinkpad before. But I'm about to return my second laptop in the last three weeks. All I need is something that can browse the internet like a jackrabbit and run Office and large Word documents without crashing.

Hello /g
i have just received my x220
it's very nice

Is there anyway to have 3 drives in a T420?
Basically I have a SSD+2HDD setup, but that's for linux. I want to have an isolated drive to contain the windows cancer that I want to install to play some games that don't work too well in WINE.
My X200 dock has a ultrabay, does the T series dock also have one?
If not, is it possible to install windows on a large SD card or flash drive? Thanks
Also, are there any recommended upgrades for the T420? I have the higher-res display and USB 3.0 (using an express card)

I have a T530, how do I upgrade the BIOS? I don't have Windows installed on it, and I don't have any optical drive. I tried to write the bootable CD to a USB stick after extracting some El Torito stuff from it, but when I booted it up and chose to write the new firmware to it, the computer just froze. Luckily, the original BIOS were intact after having restarted it.

mSATA SSD, HDD slot and ultrabay adapter.
No, the dock does not have a bay, its a full size laptop, it has an ultrabay on it
No idea but probably, it would be slow as fuck though.
You have them

>Thinkpad
>Windows
Absolutely haram

Does the numpad work?

Why?

Except for the dell xps 13, is a thinkpad the only way to go for a comfy Linux laptop?

>drop $600+ on desktop
>get thinkpad a month later
>end up using thinkpad more
>desktop less
>eventually only turn desktop on a few times a week
>yesterday get frustrated
>unplug it all
>put in closet
>use T430 with keyboard, mouse, and 1080 IPS monitor

i wish i would have known about the thinkpad meme before i bought a desktop

I meant 4 drives sorry.

If I make a partition on one of my secondary drives, would it have any problems?
For example, I make a 100gb NTFS parition on an otherwise all ext4 partitioned drive, would I be able to install windows on that and have it not fuck up the rest of the drive?

Why are they tanking? Is that indicative of something negative about them or just demand down

Can I make my T430 ultrabay ssd the boot drive? I dont have a slim ssd at hand but I do have a normal one.

Ps. The reaction image was self made at my desk today.

Yes
Just don't undock while the power is on

I have my linux hdd in the ultrabay, works fine, it even auto repaired grub to include the windows installation in the other hdd.

I know this thread is mainly for used thinkpads, but what newer thinkpads are Cred Forums approved?

I ordered an x220 for my first ThinkPad. You'll love it, believe me.

I've got to get a new battery for my t420 since I've got to work in non-plugged classrooms. I heard the original ones are way expensive, and the chink ones don't last. However, how long do the chink cheap ones last? I'm glad if it already lasts 8 months

Can you install an IPS screen on a T420?

So anons, I have a theory. Thinkpads are one of the few laptops to include thick rubber shock-mounting for their hard-drives. These rubber rails degrade over time, giving off various organic chemicals. Newer thinkpads (t440 onwards) stopped this trend.

It takes around 4 years for the rubber to real start to off gas, which is around the time of the release of the xx20 series. Organic solvents are known to have profound effects on brain chemistry, especially when insuffulated and when in close proximity.

Which type of thinkpads does /tpg/ shill the most? The xx20 series. Which type of thinkpads do anons most fondly remember? The older the better.

You are addicted to your thinkpad's magic meme gas.

Yes

Is the ram of the x1 carbon soldered to the motherboard?

Yes.

var köpte du den?

Anyone?

Woot is seeking business class think pads. They've got refurbished x200ts for 139.99

Recommend me a chinkpad fast and good with dual bay hdd so I can put in my ssd and hdd $200 budget

T420 with this.

ebay.com/itm/Ultrabay-SATA-2nd-HD-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Tray-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420i-T510-W510-T520-/221059818576

Lel, under appreciated comment right here. I like how you led us to believe that you were going to spout some conspiracy shit and then did a 180 at the end. 6/10 better than average.

I have an x220. How do I know if the hard drive it came with is in the msata bay or in the side-loading HD bay?

I do like that smell...

ayy lmao

What Thinkpad can I buy that isn't a brick? Doesn't have to be MacBook air levels of thin but commonly recommended models look kinda big for something I'd want to bring in my bag to class.

yes I am idiot. please help

stop being a pussy

IBM ThinkPad G40

>tfw I want this with updated specs

Do you know if the mod only works on american keyboards or if it also would work on a swedish keyboard?

Thanks!

does someone really uses the red dot to navigate? srs question, got my t430 a few days ago

I prefer it over the touchpad, but my system is vim-configured so I only occasionally use it whilst shitposting

Buy a small notebook and one of those USB thinkpad keyboards, toss in a high res screen from a T40, figure out how to power and drive it and then fill the rest with batteries.

I dunno user, I'm still waiting for my x220 to arrive, but I can tell you that the first thing that I'll do is enter bios and disable the trackpad.

Why would I want to even touch the trackpad when I can just control everything right from the home row of my keyboard

I use it exclusively, it's more precise than the touchpad, easier to scroll with and i personally find it more comfortably to use

I'm not using a touchpad ever again after using the trackpoint

Very epic. Is there really no thin Thinkpad?

well, i know that might be a stupid question, but whats the best way to scroll using the trackpoint?

Between left and right click there's a button that I hold in while using the trackpoint to scroll, it's super intuitive and honestly i like it better than using a mouse wheel

Open it and check those two places. If there is a hard drive in one of them chances are that's where the hard drive is installed.

You have several options.

>1
Google it
>2
Download the computer manual and read it
>3
Stop being a cock gobbling faggot and think for a second or two
>4
Pick up a screwdriver and unscrew the screw with the correct symbol besides it to reveal the disc drive bay

alright, thanks! will try to use the trackpoint more often in the future

Just make sure you properly configure it first. I found out when I started using the trackpoint that I prefer a high sensitivity for example, also make sure that trackpoint scrolling actually works (there should be some guides on google on how to make it work)

That is far, far too much money for a T410 with those specs. If you are patient and look around eBay for a bit, you can find one for probably $100 less and you get eBay 's insane buyer protection, so no need to worry about being shafted.

Astonishing theory, professor

Why would you want thin, specifically? If you want light, get an X series. An X220 or X230 are both fine, very tiny and portable. If you want thin for the sake of being thin then I recommend that you instead pull the dick out of your ass.

Alright, maybe thin was the wrong word. It is more light that I'm looking for so I don't have to lug around a brick all day. I'll look in to those models.

Should I bite the bullet for/on this?

ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lenovo-T420-14-1-Laptop-Notebook-ThinkPad-i7-vPro-2-80GHz-4GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-/

or this guy?

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420s-Intel-Core-i7-2640M-2-80GHz-8GB-DDR3-500GB-14-/361750429657

I want it packing an i7 and 8GB RAM but unsure/don't know which one's the right/proper/better choice for the money here since they're both i7's despite them one packing only 4GB RAM

Question, how do you guys store your extra batteries? I was planing on carrying my extra 6 cell batttery but I'm worried I might fuck it up in my backpack

Got mine used on dba for 1500 Kr

>ordered carbon x1 a week ago
>expected delivery date is 13th of October
>email them asking why it takes 3 weeks to ship a fucking laptop
>no reply
fucking chinks I should've bought a xps13

they're 6 years old now
pcs normally tank in price after 5 years

I'm thinking about getting a t420 for school and shit. Might get a 512gb ssd for my movies and chink cartoons. Is it a good buy? I'll probably only use it for notes/word/java since my home computer is pretty good.

Dual core i7s aren't that much of an upgrade compared to the stock i5s. I'd buy a t420 with whatever and replace the cpu for an aftermarket quad core i7.

Get an msata one so you can use 3 drives in the future if you ever need it.

I'm looking on eBay, how do I know which 420s have the msata port? Or do all t420s do?
And I don't think I'll need that much for the laptop anyway, like I said, my desktop at home takes care of the heavy duty shit (gaming, virtual machines) I'll probably use the main memory bay, plus an ultra bay replacing the disc drive.

All do, it's on the back next to the ram slot.

You could have msata ssd + hdd in main drive slot, and in the future a third drive in the ultrabay.

She's here. I fell for the meme and don't regret it.

I'll probably get the msata, just so I can have the disk drive.
Thanks man.
And, I am not really looking to hunt for low bids, I wouldn't mind paying 200-220 just to get it. I see newegg sells manufacturer refurbished thinkpads. Are they good?

There's an X31 for $20 nearby. Worth getting to dick around in Linux with? Seems like a comfy lil laptop if a bit old

Dunno i just get used from eBay, i don't care about warranty because i can fix it myself or replace the part easily if something goes wrong.

I'd be more concerned about a locked BIOS.

Sure, but it might be more fun to play old games on.

Well, I doubt a manufacturer refurb would have that issue, and I can always get my money back since eBay always sides with the buyer.
Maybe I'll buy it before November.

waiting on my x200. no shipping updates since yesterday morning. maybe it's trapped in limbo...

Yeh, that seems to be the going price for them there. Got mine for 1300. With a new 9 cell battery and upgrades the little fucker cost me around 2000 total. Worth it though. Damn comfy and more than enough battery life.

He's saying the new thinkpads that aren't a cheap t, p/w, or x series aren't worth it. If you wanna blow $300, go for it, but you can get an x series on ebay with an i5 for less.

Which thinkpads have the best thermals /tpg/? I have used a T61 for years and want to upgrade to something less hot/loud. It usually sits on my desk in a dock so keyboard and trackpad quality are not a big issue.

Where do my fellow europeans get their cheap thinkpad/elitebooks?

I'm having trouble finding one on the cheap. The only place on local used sites is over in brussels, doesn't ship and asks way above the prices listed in the buyers guide.

I just want something to shitpost on during breaks and on the train, nothing fancy. But fuck me I'm having a hard time pleasing my inner jew.

just be patient and keep and keep an eye out for new ebay listings

Agreed. I'm using additional monitor at work. But this thing is so damn comfortable. If only it had something more than a first gen i5 i'd make love to it.

I'm going to be honest with you, I pretty much haven't used ebay ever. It had a horrible reputation over here while I was growing up and I ended up never going there. So I have no idea about tricks and ways to find the good stuff and how to spot bad vendors.

Also, fuck these shipping costs. From burgerland to here they're fucking stupid expensive, and even inside the eu I'm seeing shipping costs of over 30 euro.

awesome wp, thank you

>T420 IPS mod dead
>no FullHD
>no IPS

just end me senpai

In my experience the bigger the body the better the cooling due to sheer surface area dispersion. If keyboard and trackpad quality isn't an issue you can get T440p models on the cheap. 'Bout $300 for a good one on Ebay.

I want carbon so bad

The general rule is to only buy items that have photos of the actual product (i.e. not stock photos) and are from a seller with good feedback.

You should be able to use Ebay filter so only items being sold in your own country are shown.

My X230 on W7 64bit is not playing any sounds after booting. I hear the windows booting sounds, log in, logged in sound and then its quiet. When i close the screen and open it again, all of them work.
When i go into options of audio device > advanced > click test it gives me "the device is being used by another application no sound. please close any devices that are playing audio to this device and then try again".
any ideas?
inb4 instal loonix

U can still cop on 51nb forums

It's bad tho it flickers

I have this strange issue that only started happening since I started using my T430 (the hdd was not reinstalled, just moved from the old laptop to this one):
Sometimes, after some time, the desktop background changes and the desktop icons show up all messed up.
The thing is: the "wrong" background is always the same, and the messed up icon display is the same as well.
I'm attaching a screenshot of both the "regular" desktop (the background is always the same as well), and the "wrong" desktop (notice the huge openarena icon, it always appears like that there).
After a reboot the "regular" desktop shows up again. Any idea as to why this might be happening?

nvm fixd

What's the consensus on the Thinkpad 13 Chromebook?

I'm thinking of getting one just to have a nice screen and keyboard for remote desktop while in lectures.

>It usually sits on my desk in a dock
You can get a couple year old thinkstation for $100-200 on ebay and it'll run circles around any laptop.

Hey I have a old R61 which was free, yea im currently running Crunchbang (have been for a year or so). The R61 I have has a centrino and 2gb of ram, and trying to decide which distro I can use to practice to improve Linux skills. What distro is good and light weight and still a bit learning friendly?
>In before install Memeto

Turbo poorfag here. What's the best thinkpad I can get in good condition and battery for $120 or less? I was looking at the X200 and T400.

>want a small and cheap laptop like the x61 or x200
>nonexistent in my third world shithole
>importing from the US would be more expensive than a t430 because of shipping fees and customs
just kill me senpai

Where are you user

T520 here. OSX works better than Ubuntu

A shithole in South America.

Will the ThinkPad x61 be able to perform well enough running flash videos for hours on end with the core 2 duo l7500?

Tfw fresh Arch Linux on my T420s. First time using XFCE and Numix, still gotta configure it a little but this feels good.

It's a lot faster now. All the Lenovo bullshittery apps and all got me really frustrated and having used my T61 with awesome (only) this newer and faster computer felt slower. Ram consumption was entirely unacceptable, the T61 didn't even come close to 1GB, Windows was using like 2GB just idling. Why? I don't run shit in the background, it has no purpose being so bloated, it's doing something to my disadvantage by hogging up memory like that.

I had never installed Arch on a computer running UEFI so my first attempts failed but now it's 100% right and tight. People spout memes about Linux having poor graphical performance, but while this computer was struggling with youtube 1080p@60, now it has no problem whatsoever. It's 100% 60 fps without a dip, it's silly how much faster it performs like this.

Of course, the system is a lot lighter, while typing this I'm under 700MB in memory. But with what's finally getting installed, it'll still be under 1GB.

Oh, and the onboard HSDPA is working perfectly. I might even say better than in Windows. So far everything is better, even though it requires some fiddling at least I get to adjust shit to my liking.

I'm just saying fuck Windows for sure, these things are meant to run Linux.

I´m planning to replace my current laptop(cheap lenovo g505, bought 3 years ago) with a thinkpad. I need something capable of running autocad with decent performance. I´m okay with a used one and my budget is around 400-500€(around 550USD). Can you recommend me something /tpg/?

Alternatively, which is the cheapest thinkpad I can get for this purpose?

Would anybody with a ThinkPad A22m be willing to make a recovery disc?

X201

I have a T61 with a C2D T7300 running Arch with only awesome and it just ran a full HD movie for me without any issues. Youtube 1080p at 60 is not going to happen, though. 720p is fine. 1080p at 30 is easy peasy.

Should I Frankenstein my t60?

Im no stranger to that kind of stuff.

Go for it, T601F is best Thinkpad.

I just bought a T430 and installed debian+mate. What should be the temp of the system? I'm currently copying my old files into it and it reads 60°. It is usually at 51-53°. Is this normal?

So what do you use YOUR thinkpad for?

>glorified chromebook
>linux distro testing

With docking station and eGPU, for everything.

>getting used to i3
>comfy 4ch browsing
>music
>occasional work
>being a smug cunt

>docking station
>eGPU

How's that working out for you? I kinda want an eGPU for the T420, but I'm hesitant.

It's been 2 months since i got my eGPU, pretty good.

Mostly play emulators, CSGO and Warthunder though so a 950 is enough for me. Pairs well with a quad core CPU.

Is that a T420?

yes

looks very nice desu user

mirin tbqh. got a pic?

What's your eGPU set up?

What adapter??

Thanks m8.

Not really, nothing interesting to take a picture about since it's just a docked T420.

ExpressCard EXP GDC + GTX 950 + a generic ATX power supply.

I found a x230 on ebay for a decent price, but a serial number lookup on Lenovo's site says that the unit is an x230i, even though the advertised item has i5 stickers and is labeled x230.

Lenovo site bug or am I getting swindled. Cop or not?

Light gaming
School (html/css atm)
Browsing
Videos

is x230 msata II or III?

School, Anime, recording/mixing

>T420 with a 40°c QM processor.
n-nani

I love that sexy nipple at the middle. If only they addressed the spyware issue I'd get one

>n-nani

Never was a spyware issue with ThinkPads.

what is the best thinkpad with a 4x3 display?
x60? x61? something else?

T601f

was superfish confirmed spyware or was it only adware?

Superfish was never on ThinkPads.

x200s or x220?

is an x200 with an intel core 2 duo @ 1.86ghz, 4gb memory, and a 120gb hdd worth $100?

What's the difference between the T460 and T460s. Beside the price, do we pay the thinness by soldered ram and such tradeoff?
I want to fell for the thin meme but I don't want to compromise upgradeability.

yes but isn't it a bit too close for comfort
haven't seen any other OEM behave this way

no

Dell got caught for the same exact thing not long after Lenovo did. And every manufacturer is known for preloading utter shitware on their consumer laptops, that's half the reason we buy the business models where they don't do that shit.

Dell was Mitm'ing http traffic as well? Huh... I thought Shitovo was the first

I know that the business lines have less bloatware but they're not bloatware free either

same thing happened to me, but last month. Took about three weeks to get here, which sucked, but was totally worth it.

Upgraded ssd, through on babbys first ubuntu, and haven't looked back. If you upgraded screens it is so worth it. Never been on something this crisp before.

>threw
;_;

Whats the best ThinkPad for DOS gaming?

You fuckers talked me into buying a T420 a few weeks back for $150. It has replaced my main computer. wtf how is this real life?

Does Lenovo still sell the official battery for the X200 Thinkpad?

The battery drains like a motherfucker when it's unplugged. At first, I thought it was xfce but fucking i3 was draining the juice even faster than a bloated Cinnamon environment.

I know that feel, went through the same phase then i made it my main computer

looking at the thinkpad yoga 260
Does anybody have experience with it?
How is the display/stylus input
Is it decently close to competing with the Surface or iPad Pro?

>get some Thinkpads from an auction
>2x T400 1x X201
>clean up and use X201 becuz better CPU and more RAM
>time passes
>Dad's shitbox Pentium desktop really showing its age
>tell my dad I will fix up one of the T400s and give it to him
>parts come in and I install them
>using the T400 now
>it's really comfy and the bigger screen is nice
>typing is easier

hmm

I think I fucked up.

I still have the remaining T400, but's kinda banged up tho.

Do you not have a desktop user? I understand people in these threads talk about them all day but, I pretty much can't see the point in owning something other than 12 inch laptop for most people if they have a desktop at home.

Even then, what are vga / displayport plugs for?

I don't know who you're talking to, but a 12" laptop can seem rather dinky in the hands of anyone over 6'.

Anything from the 700 series to the T21, just throw Win98 on it

I guess. I'm honestly a hypocrite, I owned and still own and love a laptop that is 17 inches. The way I see it, if my laptop isn't going to be small and super portable, then I want it to basically be a mobile desktop.

If that means I'm carrying around a tank, then so be it. Easier than carrying around a tank, monitor, 2 power cords, and a video cable.

I bought a T420 thinkpad cause Its a good laptop and I needed one
but FUCK
I love it so fking much
it just feels
so nice to use
its so fking beautiful

Make that up to T30

Anyone?

Local/national version of Craigslist and/or dedicated national hardware fora with a buy/sell/trade section.
Being from Denmark the different keyboard layout and having to replace that would kill my savings.
I guess I could live with different layout and just do remapping but I fear it would be a small daily source of frustration/dissatisfaction.
Got my 8560W with 8gb ram, i7 2730QM, 128gb ssd, three chargers, a dock and a shoulder bag for 300USD and my X220 with 4gb ram, i5 2520M and 320gb hdd (not sdd, sadface) for 195USD. Both were found after 2-3 weeks of scouting/looking for deals.
Could probably have gotten both cheaper if I had patience and both were not 'I need a laptop fast' purchases. 8560W was bought when my old laptop died ~10months ago and the X220 bought as my 8560W is now parked at uni hooked up to all sorts of lab-equipment...

All distros are 'learning friendly'. Most documentation for eg. Arch (great wiki) is applicable to, say, SUSE. Just find something lightweight. And by lightweight, the DE/WM is the deciding factor.

As long as your insides are what they should be you are fine. I read about it somewhere but can't seem to find it now. It's a Lenovo bug. Something about them being the same machines apart from the CPU and using same mobo sometimes it fucks up the identification or some shit.

i could hint you some german sites, where you get them around 50 dollars above the prices in the guide. Those prices I just found on ebay, however you need to be lucky to get across some in good conditions. Most 150-200 ones (t420, x220 and newer) are in B-Condition, meaning there could be dots and lines on the screen.

Sorry didn't see it.
Is installing it difficult? or can be run in a live session?
And why el capitan?

My final purchase amounts
Thinkpad T420 £170 (Grade A quality 1600x900 display)
Ultrabay caddy £2.90
16gb ram £41
128gb SSD £22

I can't think of anything else I'll need, maybe a docking station? I'll invest in an i7 at some point in future.

Go search. There are literally step-by-step guides for what you are asking.

This?
insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/

Does OSX support live session?

Good to see someone using an EXP GDC with a Thinkpad. I was honestly considering ditching my desktop for the same combination...

No one has any idea on this?

I used this guide for my T520.
The only problem I had was no wifi but I bought a Broadcom WiFi card for 10$.

No live session to try it out?

I just finished getting Coreboot built, configured, and flashed on my X201 with SeaBIOS. The fan speeds seem to be normal, but what's with the hard disk? It sounds like it's spinning really fast. I have pretty good battery life and heat dissipation, but is there any way to quiet this shit down or should I get it an SSD?
OS X doesn't have anything live other than the installer, but it runs in a safe mode. Installing OS X on your Sandy Bridge Thinkpad is easy as pie, and I used my T420 as a MacBook for about 2 years straight with zero hassle. Did it on a X220 as well, almost the same thing but no 1600*900. Pic related: my X201 getting as close as it can to running OS X before framebuffer fistfuck.
Broadcom works well on OS X, but drops packets like an asshole on anything else. Just keep the Intel card handy and switch as needed. If you're using OS X only, you will have no problems.

Forgot image because I use a small browser window like a retard.

I'd appreciate that senpai, my local craigslist variant is empty as all hell. I don't speak german but it's not too different from dutch and some google translate goes a long way.

anyone knows how to make a t430 less noisy? The fan is at 2500 rpm, and still it is very noisy. Any idea?

Maybe think about installing a new fan. My T430 makes little noise, even when the fan is at top speed (playing GTA V).

Thanks.
I'll look into it.
Though I have no access to mac or hackintosh.

crap, I just bought this t430. So, it is just a hardware problem, nothing to do with linux?

Then in the future I will throw some money to this thinkpad

T410 used in good condition for 90 pounds, yes or no?

Is 260€ worth it for an X220 with 8gb ram, a 120gb ssd and a new battery? they guy originally sells the X220 for 140€, it's missing the hard drive and the battery tho, so i'll buy them myself. It's the Intel Core i5-2520M version. I am thinking of throwing OSX into it as I heard it runs okay on it.

also going to buy additional 4gb ram myself since it has 4gb originally.

I think these guys have decent prices usually lapstore.de/f.php/shop/lapstore/lang/en/
There's a lot of stores here in Easter Europe, lots of companies buy older 3-5yo machines in bulk, not sure if they ship outside the country tho

Does anyone what prismatic (I suppose they are prismatic) cells are used in regular (3 cell I think) X200 batteries?

Why is the X220 recommended more than X201s? How can one even use 1366x768 display?

Hello Cred Forums I want to fall to the thinkpad meme. Currently I have tree options:
a) A friend maybe sell me his. (Thinkpad T, Centrino duo 2GB RAM I think, maybe DDR3)

b) A T400 Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM DDR2

c) A X200 4GB Ram DDR3

so friends, wich one should I take.
My needs are pretty simple just a Linux/Hurd machine with emacs for programmig large legacy enterprise software.

T400 is DDR3. Sounds like they're all the same generation, in which case it comes down to configuration. If one of those T400s has the 1440x900 screen, I'd go with that. Otherwise, the X200 would be preferable for better battery life and portability.

IMO, 1080p and above on a 12 inch screen isn't that great.

X201s is 1440x900 though. However, having more pixels wouldn't hurt much since you can always set a scale.

X201s isn't nearly as common as X220 and the tradeoffs in screen quality and CPU power might not be worth the slight resolution gain to most people.

Fair enough. I can't stand 1366x768 though. I had X201T earlier and when looking for a replacement I decided to get X201s and a tablet with digitizer because of the resolution, every newer X tablet seemed like a downgrade to me.

I have an X201s and I love it, but I can't deny that the X220 is way better value and way easier to obtain. Most people don't particularly care about all the little autistic details that make the X201s better, they're just after good price/performance with some semblance of build quality.

What cheap and reliable ThinkPad model you'd recommend for a fresh Penguin install ? I'm looking for something that could support a very lightweight OS as Lubuntu.

>little autistic details that make the X201s better
Yeah, that's it.

Speaking of little autistic details, I need to fill my ExpressCard slot with something. I already have SSD, ethernet and 3G modem inside. The only use I can see is USB 3.0 (I don't even have any USB 3.0 devices though). Does anyone know if chink ~8$ USB 3.0 cards are fine?

Fill it with your dick. I'm sure the slot height is enough.

>height is enough
Width isn't though, wat do?

Ram it it, your dick will adapt.
Don't touch the trackpoint while doinf it, though.

>Don't touch the trackpoint while doinf it
Why? Won't my thinkpad feel better if I do that?

Your thinkpad may squirt, and it will be hard to clean everything thoroughly.

>bought a T420 less than a week ago
>already looking into more options

this is a vicious cycle, isn't it?

I'm fine with my qt's love juices.

Just copped an IPS x230 for $175. I hope the seller doesn't jew me.

I think this one's IPS too and it's ending fast, if anyone's interested:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X230-2325-5K8-XD4YP-12-5-WIN-10-8gb-120gb-SSD-i5-WEBCAM-AUT-106-/272389920591#shpCntId

>that fucking item description

it reads like a chinese seller but ships from arkansas

>x230
What resolution is the screen?

also, very nice

Not great, 1366x768. I've only seen koreans with higher res mods

Will this work in my X200?

digitaldepot.co.za/pc/memory/crucial-mnb-1066-8gb-kit

Literally no details about it. You need PC3-8500(also called DDR3-1066) which that might be, but you cant fucking tell.

>.za
>south africa
wat

T420 has a horizontal 1-pixel thick line about 15% of the way from top of the display. It appears in all environments (BIOS too), does not appear on external monitors, and the exact colour of the pixels depends on what is being shown around/above/below that row.

What fixes would you try before sending it back?

It's fucked, Jimmy.

sounds like the panel shit itself

either replace the panel or send it back

No quick fixes worth trying? Reseating the ribbon cable, etc?

You might reseat the ribbon cable, but if it is ONLY one line of pixels, more than likely it's fucked beyond repair.

Okay. I'll make one attempt to reseat, and then send it back.

Got a T400 for free and want to sort of max it.

Already have 8gb ram and ordered a 9 cell battery + the 1440x900 screen.

Which processor would be the best i could put in a T400?

The TN version of the X220/230 is also higher quality than the X201.

Convert that desktop to a server m8

Don't spend too much on a Penryn machine, user. It will never exactly be blazing fast.

Eh i got it free and paid $40 for the panel and $40 for the battery, both from AliExpress.

I live in a third world shithole where a working T400 with stock specs is roughly the equivalent of $150, could spend around $40 more for a chinese SSD and then still make a profit by reselling.

It's more because of the "having a sort of fast and old as fug laptop" feel. I have it running Antergos Linux with a P8400 + crappy HDD and it runs pretty well.

How much worse is the x230's keyboard over the x220?

I just want my x200, but it's been "Departed from Facility" and "Arriving Today" for two days now with no x200.

It's the chiclet keys and mostly preference, but you can always replace the x230 keyboard with an x200's keyboard if you want the newer model AND the Thinkpad™ experience.

x220's keyboard, not x200, ignore mistake.

Just ordered an i7 x220 tablet for $240. hope i wasnt scammed.

>Short-screen

I need some advice, senpais, because I don't know which machine (if any) from the buyer's guide is right for me.

This all started when I was looking for something relatively cheap to lug around to school. Also to use around the house, because we have a nice couch downstairs but I'm here cemented at my desktop upstairs all the time. I was going to go for a 200 euro ish chromebook, but chrome os seems kinda shit and they seem rather underpowered. Something like galliumOS fixes the first part, but not really the latter.

So I'm looking for a machine that is the following: Somewhere around 200euro, not too hard to lug around, writing/looking at text/pdf/etc, watch weeb cartoons, play some 2d games/arcade emulators.

I've never actually had a laptop before, so I'm kinda lost in the thinkpads, chromebooks, elitebooks and what have you. Any advice is appreciated, honestly.

ThinkPad magic. It's the one meme most people don't regret falling for.

Fuck, I know. I'm tempted to buy an X220 I saw for cheap, I don't even fucking need it. I hardly need my T420 but I just like it so much.

I'm pretty sure Lenovo puts on cocaine on the fans or something because this shit is addicting.

Any good budget 1080p chinkpads? $200 - $400 budget. Probably living in dream land here but gonna take a wild shot in the dark here

T510, W510, T520, W520 should all be in that price range.

>offerup idiot only knows how to slap the basic specs on the descriptions but doesn't post up speccy and sys properpties screenshots as product photos

Fucking mongoloid. Slightly triggered but Jesus cripes man