/pcbg/ - PC Building General:Relatable Wolf Edition

Don't fuck up your build and cry like him.Do it for me user.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA. If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, please politely direct them here.

OLD:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813132855
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132877
amazon.com/dp/B01JD2OSX0/?tag=pcpapi-20
pcpartpicker.com/list/qNvC8K
youtu.be/dDhtZ1VXF2o?t=3m1s
1041uuu.tumblr.com/
pcpartpicker.com/list/NDkyWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/GnKb2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/4wQNzM
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/v9zspb
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/N7sBqk
pcpartpicker.com/product/GmrcCJ/id-cooling-frostflow-240l-r-845-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-frostflow-240l-r
pcpartpicker.com/list/9HmKqk
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ppZPJV
evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-E1-1236-K0
pcpartpicker.com/list/2Nsgnn
youtube.com/watch?v=ZS-Wh5qN2E8
noctua.at/media/blfa_files/manual/noctua_nh_u9b_se2_manual_en.pdf
noctua.at/media/blfa_files/manual/noctua_nh_u12s_manual_en_1.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=BZEMKEdJEvc
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7y6dbj
can.pcpartpicker.com/list/K4FMCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/vJwXRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/Mvbfd6
pcpartpicker.com/list/CVGRVY
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bMvkf8
benq.com/product/gaminggears/xl2411
pcpartpicker.com/list/bjQ9Cy
gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZXXGJV
wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-launch-january/
pcpartpicker.com/list/bBxmCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/wfR8QV
pcpartpicker.com/list/vVgxgL
pcpartpicker.com/list/TNHjnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/7RxmCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/2XCcxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/BMgyWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZqyrM8
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3WM1028
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've put together a few builds for this general

Please gib comments, suggest other builds, like a rendering build, a NAS build etc.

I'm going to add a couple VR builds

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
But why are there no 1080?Are they just not worth it?After my 980ti died I wanted to get one,am I better off waiting?

guy with only one cable in his fury here. does it matter where the other end of the cable goes in the psu? like does the left slot on the gpu correspond to a slot on the psu, same for the right one?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813132855

or

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132877 ?

Guys, this a good deal?
amazon.com/dp/B01JD2OSX0/?tag=pcpapi-20

Under 400, and it's only 70 less than what I'm fixing to spend, about 320 for EVGA Mini-ITX 1060 and 1TB HDD.

pcpartpicker.com/list/qNvC8K

I think you should highlight other cards besides the 470. Also, a lot of people who post builds here use parts not featured in that list. Seems like you went with the cheapest options possible. Maybe put in some "most popular pcbg picks" part-wise for different tiers.

What does the more expensive one have that you want that the cheaper one doesn't?

I can't see the second one.

Don't include the last question mark.

are you talking about the pcie cable?

Ask yourself:Do I want to overclock?Choose the first one if yes,second one if no.

I've got most of my build down but I'm not entirely sure what caliber of CPU would be best for me. It'll mostly be for
>GAYMEN
at 1080p but I'd also like to be able to do shit like watch videos on a second monitor while pleyan geimus and I'm not sure if that's a situation where I'd need hyperthreading or just benefit from it. Right now I'm thinking i5-6500 but maybe I'm retarded. I can go as high as an i7-6700K is it's worthwhile, but I'd like to avoid overclocking if I can get away with it. Not because I'm scared of it or anything, it's just noticeably cheaper to avoid it once you throw on the extra cost of an overclocking mobo and HSF.

TL;DR
>What CPU for 1080p geimus and also multimonitor autism while gaymen? Hyperthreading or no?

If you don't want to OC, that cpu's probably a good match. If you do, 6600K, don't go up to a 6700K.

you could consider going with a xeon instead of i7
cheaper, hyperthreaded, cant/wont overclock, so you save on cooler and mobo too

The plug in should be keyed, it should only fit the right way

Reposting question from

Are Corsair PSUs really as bad as some guides says or they are fine now and bad quality rumors were attached to older models?

Both CS Series 650W Modular 80+ Gold and CX650M have good prices where I live and from first look, they look nice, but Im not experienced with those things.

6500 is good, 6600 is good too and same price basically
A 1060 or 480 would be a good video card but a 1070 will hold up longer (also if you ever get a 1440p monitor or like crazy high fps at 1080p)
Either way, a second screen running youtube or some shit will practically be no work at all for any good GPU, the second screen won't change your GPU choice

Personally I'd say price/performance sucks for the 1080. 1080Ti will have better price/performance and just be more powerful in general. If you're at 4K or 1440p 144Hz you want 1080Ti, which is probably coming out in January

>bad quality rumors
Literally every PSU has many many legitimate bad reviews, just like with motherboards you have to find what works best for most people

I dont have as much money to test out which PSU will fit.

They all fit, and basically they'll all work, the mystery is wondering if you'll be one of those people throwing 1-star reviews because "I had it for 4 years and it stopped working, 0/10 would not buy again"

Which would sucks, since my current PC with i5-750 is 6 years old.

I dont even know, what kind of PSU I have here, I lost box long time ago.

I've never built anything before. I just wanna play wow

where did you find this gif? what is it?

What the hell happened to that picture, christ. That's more than enough to play a 10 or whatever year old game.

Some cozy pixel art he prolly found on tumblr. Same as the old thread. Pretty nice imo. Kinda looks like the style of VA11-Hall-A.

I mean the 520w seasonic M12 II or something is $60 and has much better reviews than most ones at that price range
I got a seasonic modular platinum PSU for $80
The point is just get a good PSU, there's plenty of reliable lists of solid PSUs

>Some cozy pixel art he prolly found on tumblr. Same as the old thread. Pretty nice imo. Kinda looks like the style of VA11-Hall-A.

alright, also found it on this vid youtu.be/dDhtZ1VXF2o?t=3m1s

that's why i'm asking, it's a coincidence I I guess

>muh price to performance maymay
>being poor
Wew

OP here, I get my stuff from here!
1041uuu.tumblr.com/

God that picture... also link the fucking build if you already use pcpartpicker you savage caveman.

cool, thanks for that

>1080Ti over 1080
>being poor

I know that Seasonic S12-II or M12-II have great opinions, but for some reason, I cant get them at all, no matter what shop I check. I even heard that they are "discountinued".

Which is why I considered Corsair models. And which is why I kept asking for opinions.

Seriously, I'm looking through amazon and it's actually $390.44 from a different reseller.

This REALLY looks like a good deal.

>waiting another 3 months for a GPU that's not even confirmed

As much I agree with you and hate the people saying to buy some half-baked PC part because of price/performance, the 1080 is absolutely not worth the $200 over the 1070. If you look at it by resolutions, the 1070 can do anything (including 1440p/120Hz) except the craziest graphical games at 1440p/144Hz. For $200 more you get the 1080 which can do 1440p/144Hz, but still not 4K at all
Like are you gonna pay $200 more for 20 more max frames on the absolute most graphical games?
Or are you gonna get a 1070 now and save that $200 for the next 2-3 years when there is a $400 4K card?

Keep looking, power supplies are always going on and off sale, even the really good ones.
Corsair rebrands both good and bad PSUs, so you have to make sure the specific corsair model is a good pick or if it's a cheapo (I hear the corsair CX series are the worst quality)

Buy the time they release the 1080 Ti they're going to announce the new cards in another few months anyways. There's no point in playing the waiting game.

$200 you wasted is still $200 you wasted, any year.
I'll probably forget about gpus in general until 4K ones are ready, my 1070 maxes any game I have on any monitor I have all the time, I get 200-300 fucking FPS at 1080p.
If I bought the 1080 I would've seen no difference on my monitors, and on top of that Ill remember that wasted $200 real quick when it's time to upgrade

if you are going high end you literally need to wait
HBM2 chips set for early next year

Should I consider buying a Titan XP or it just gets too damn hot?

just buy 2 1080s only a little more and way better performance
or alternatively 2 1070s

>no, that's fucking thousands of dollars when a comparable card for under thousands of dollars will happen next year
>yes, but there's aftermarket cooling solutions, or you could just drop your computer in oil

And definitely not for ITX, unless the GPU is just sticking out in the air

>or does it just get way too damn hot
>I've never heard of ekwb

why the new thread before the old one 404'd or reached post limit?

pcpartpicker.com/list/NDkyWX
>Looks good. Break the RAM up into a x2 4GB kit. He'll have room to add x2 4GB again later because that mobo has four RAM slots.
I figure 1x8 is good enough for now and he can just pop in another for 16gb dual channel later, isn't dual stick dual channel the most efficient ram setup? Will only having single channel hobble it in any way?

>Drop the cooler.
the cooler was in a combo that only added $3 to the total but I guess not anymore. Still gonna pick it up it has a blue led and he's a kid so...
>PSU is fine. Can make due with a 450W, depending on future upgrade path.
figured he could pop in a ssd, locked i5, another stick of ram and whatever the hot mid level card is if he wants to expand later.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GnKb2R

Is about what I'd guide him to. WHo knows if they'll have a 470/80x out or a better nvidia card at that point.

Should I get a i7 5820k over a i7 6700k ?

I was pretty sure It was archived already,sorry user.

gay men or professional work?
also, storage needs? pci expansion needs? any at all?

>will only having single channel hobble it in any way?
Yes but the difference is negligible, it's absolutely not worth sacrificing upgrade room for

gaymen,

Its a regular build, a few ssd and hdd, 2 pcie. I already have motherboards on sight for both sockets.

>wait for 1080ti
>1090 announced
>wait for 1090ti
>1180 announced
>wait for 1180 ti
>1280 announced
>
>
>

heres my breakdown
the 6700k is better for gaming, it has higher minimum framerates and overall higher average fps, look at digital foundry's video comparing the cpus to see for yourself
that being said, its also a newer socket, meaning that you could upgrade to a better cpu later on

the 5820k is a more powerful cpu, and really does hold it's own in gaming, it would be more than enough, and the x99 platform has features second to none, however it is end of life
honestly, i would just go with the 6700k at this point, you dont need the extra features of x99, and you can always upgrade to a better cpu later, or upgrade to a newer mobo for more features, and you'll be better of in your main need, gaming
the reason i asked for storage and pci is because if you have need for lots of either x99 is a better bet, but you dont so no worries

Thanks for sharing your wisdom kind internet stranger. I will check out those videos.

they have all kinds of really interesting videos, honestly it's given me a lot to consider for my next build, some of it is contrary to "common knowledge" because this is the first time in a few years some of those concepts have been put to test
look at their ram speeds video, or their video on the 2500k. its interesting stuff

>I think you should highlight other cards besides the 470.
I tried to, but you have to basically select the build twice, first in the sidebar and then by selecting the build's title. Then you'll see my comments where I briefly discussed other graphics card options (along with other notes about the build).

>Seems like you went with the cheapest options possible
Mostly, I just filtered by customer reviews (4 and 5 egg only) and sorted by price, then picked one that had all the features I wanted (like # of USB3.0 ports) and had a decent number of reviews.

>"most popular pcbg picks"
People mostly pick random parts I've noticed. Mostly people go to WD or Seagate for hard drives, basically recognizable brand names with flashy names like Barracuda. HGST hard drives are more reliable.

Makes sense because there are a lot of random people posting their crappy builds in here.

>Also, a lot of people who post builds here use parts not featured in that list.
That's true. I mostly went rather bare bones, for instance I have used the Hyper 212 EVO as a cooler, because it's basically a default cooler. If you are looking for something more than the default (aka more expensive) like water cooling, you already have specific preferences. Which isn't to say that a watercooled build is a bad idea, might be fun to create a parts list and add it as a useful exotic build, like dust free or super compact miniITX.

>add it as a useful exotic build
>a
Words are hard, meant to say 'a practical, exotic build.' Because fuck LEDs

pcpartpicker.com/list/4wQNzM
anything I'm missing here boys? any way to change things up a bit?
I'm a little worried about the cooler, but they should be enough right?
and I know the case technically doesnt support the motherboard, but it'll be just fine missing 3 screws

the mobo has 4 slots, but I was under the impression that having more than just two sticks puts more stress on the memory controller with no benefit in speed. I'd rather him have some sort of verifiable increase with component replacement or enhancement. All in budget was supposed to be $400 with my parents kicking in half, I think I can talk them into the rebates.

I'm not much into gaming but the intel 530 graphics seem weak compared to even the current amd igpu offerings, should I wait for the new 14nm? The 7th gen apu they just announced is just a carrizo core right?

okay. this picture isn't mine. i've been searching for people who own a completed build inside the Fractal Design R5 case and are also doing SLI/CrossFire with a water cooler. none of them have kept the optional hard drive caddy in. i'm wondering if it's because it just doesn't fit or if it's just because none of them decided to buy hard drives.

i want what i described above as well as an optical drive, 2x 4TB hard drives in RAID1 but i'm not finding any hard evidence that it's possible to fit all of the above into the R5.

AMD has lead in igpu for a while but if you're gaming you're probably not doing it on integrated graphics anyways
And ram is fucking hard to stress, just put two sticks in now and two more when you start topping out. Speed is almost irrelevant and capacity is what'll make you upgrade anyways

you can, you just have to mount the rad to the top
even with a 280mm it will all fit, the reason people take out the drives is that 1 they dont need the cages and it opens up airflow, 2 they dont have to open the roof slots and loose out on some of the sound dampening

im a fucking moron, i didnt know that thing was mirrored, i thought the dude actually put in tiny wooden drawers

Really?
I'm all for containment threads, but this is the final nail in the coffin. Cred Forums is now normalfag as fuck.

Considering the mixed opinions and reading around, I have decided that I am comfortable paying the premium for a Mortar Z170 which i've found on offer relatively cheap. I've also switched out a few components (Ram, HDD, PSU) based on deals I've found on these items.

Again, comments would be of use: uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/v9zspb

Total price is actually £585.11 at present.

i found another one as what you described. i really wish i didn't have to mount it to the top and lose sound dampening but i guess this is the kind of tradeoffs i have to deal with for buying a mid tower. i could also probably just build my own cage and mod it in there.

it's not a mirror you can just see straight through the case when both side panels are off and the hard drive cages are taken out.

also
>not modding drawers into your build

meant to quote in

>dual stick dual channel the most efficient ram setup?
Don't know, but I'd try to stay in dual channel config.

Canon Lake will probably be out by the time he really needs an upgrade, but by that time a locked i7 might be cheap. Although if you really want to keep the platform I'd recommend a Z170 so that you can get an unlocked CPU to really make up for the single core performance when you need to.

Anyone give any input on this?

its not, theres a hole behind where the cages usually go, and you can see through because he has the back panel off

you could always put the drives in the 3.5 drives

Looks good, get a 250GB SSD.

Sorry gramps. Keep the GNU/Linux threads or as I like to call them GNU+Linux threads, alive.

Sorry to confuse the build I was talking about with the dgpu was for my brother and he loves gaming.

I'm not a gamer (except old arcade games) or in a tech field but I was curious about upgrading my current A4 with a newer quad core, ddr4 and probably go with an itx, they're so tiny.

you mean putting them in the 5.25" drive bays? i'm only adding one optical drive so that's plausible as well. just so long as they are spaced well enough apart and i can figure out a way to properly mount them.

really this whole problem can be solved if i just get an external optical disc drive.

Depends on your monitor. If 1080p 60Hz, it's a waste. Pretty much anything higher res or Hz can benefit from a 1070.

Can you even overclock? If you're not, the 212 EVO will be fine

The mobo doesn't even have any USB3.0 slots.

Also I noticed that you your mobo might not fit the case's form factor.

The 1080Ti is rumored to come out in January. Not sure why you need it, but that version of the chip will definitely be better for gaming. The other one is for professional use.

>OP here, I get my stuff from here!
OP is the reason why I haven't gotten to post ridiculously riced cases in OP pics. They're doing you a favor.

user, does the koi pic from last thread come animated or is it purely a static gif?

>>being poor
>Wew

>Complaining about people needing to budget...

Could I get a critique on this build? It's my first foray into PC building and I'm planning on using it for gaming, digital drawing, video editing and live streaming, so I put more of a focus on my CPU and GPU. My budget is AUD2500
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/N7sBqk

>bought HAF912 6 years ago
>shitty grey interior, not even the black one
>meh case overall, good airflow and can fit a ton of fans, but it has zero sound dampenings
if I take some spraypaint and paint the fucker, is there anything I should be worried about? is there any non-conductive paint i should be buying so my mobo doesn't short out?

Most people who need to budget are either:
a) underage
b) a college student or one who recently graduated and is in debt for a meme degree
c) a lazy fuck working a minimum wage job
If you save enough before you buy all the parts then you don't need to budget.

If this is for work I'd get a bigger SSD.
Definitely get 3000MHz RAM for kicks.
And the 1080Ti is rumored in January. Get the 1070 or 1080Ti with that GDDR5X.

>1080p 60Hz, it's a waste.
Interesting.
1060 6GB/RX-480 would keep me at 60 FPS on most games at maximum settings?

There are lots of other reasons to budget, retard. Obviously (you) don't have to be smart to hate budgeting.

Maybe not absolute Maximum, but the visual difference between High and Maximum is almost nothing in most new games but produces a huge performance drop. DE:MD or TW3 or FO4 are good examples of that. People have been complaining that even the 1070 can't maintain 60FPS on Forza 3. (Benchmark shows FPS mins barely above 60FPS.)

>au.pcpartpicker.com/list/N7sBqk
If you're splashing out on a 1080, why not spend an extra $40ish and get a platinum, non-avoid tier PSU?
Are you sure you need an optical drive?

The build should handle 4k at decent settings, should ultra 1440. Not sure about streaming but at least you'll be set for it at some sort of res/settings.

There are better coolers, consider H100iv2 or Frostflow 240L. Especially if you're going to be overclocking. Tomshardware has cooler comparisons.

I think that's actually a reference 1080? Get one of the non-founder/reference ones, higher specs and lower price.

Otherwise it seems fine.

>does the koi pic from last thread come animated
Literally the first pic in the tumblr, nvm

>if I take some spraypaint and paint the fucker, is there anything I should be worried about?
Do some research about possible outgassing. If the case is being cooked 24/7 then the paint might give off fumes, check what people say about that.

>a) underage
>b) a college student or one who recently graduated and is in debt for a meme degree
>c) a lazy fuck working a minimum wage job

Having a minimum wage job doesn't make you lazy, sometimes that's what you can get.
The other two aren't even things people can control.

Hating people because they can't spend as much as you is just a guilt reaction to having more than other people.

Your hatred is just because you're wealthier and want to feel like you deserve it instead of it being a pretty random outcome from a birth lottery and opportunities.

what do you think of this board?

my computer will not boot if I enable XMP at 3000hz for my 3000hz ram what do I do

>Your hatred is just because you're wealthier

He's just baiting with
>poorfag y u no have iphone

Personally I think it's ugly
he's not actually wealthy.

>you can't control what degree you choose

Aw shit, fucked up the formatting on that post

Expensive and doesn't look that great.
Would only recommend if you need/want the features.
I was going to get it but got this instead.
Asus Z170-AR

Whats the motherboard? To my knowledge only skylake boards run at 3000Mhz.
Mine works fine.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS

Or your smart with money and don't want to waste your income on consumer products if you don't have to.

Thanks for the input. I'll see if the place that I'm buying from has stock on a bigger SSD. I think I'll go for the higher MHz RAM too since this is my first upgrade and I don't think I'll be doing this again soon. Hm, the place I'm buying from only has 3200MHz. I hope it'll be fine. I'll read up on it to be sure. I'm just getting giddy over how much of a difference this desktop will be from my current setup.

Thanks for the suggestion. Even though pcpartpicker said it would be enough power I was still iffy on my PSU, so I'll look into upgrading it, you might've just saved my bacon.
As for the optical drive I was thinking of using it to install my OS from a CD as it'd be too much of a pain to make a USB install with my current setup, if that's how it works. I'll look into those coolers. I'm not actually familiar with liquid cooling style and its maintenance so I might just go for a better fan cooler than the current one.
I'm not sure if the card is reference or not but it is the cheapest one from the place I'm buying.

Also, I'm trying to buy all my components from 1 place as a friend told me our consumer laws are well off down here and it'd be easier to handle a problem with one of my parts if I got it from 1 place. Luckily the price is pretty close to my list so it worked out good.

Yep z170
Flashing bios sounds scary, but there is "better ddr compatibility" in newest update

If you can do it via usb, then have a copy of your current one on a spare flash drive. Just for peace of mind.

>Thanks for the suggestion. Even though pcpartpicker said it would be enough power I was still iffy on my PSU, so I'll look into upgrading it, you might've just saved my bacon.
I wasn't talking about the wattage, that's fine. I was talking about the reliability. Get a high quality PSU so that it doesn't blow shit up. Higher wattage is irrelevant and not why you choose it (though you should probably pick something about 1.25xexpected load).

>As for the optical drive I was thinking of using it to install my OS from a CD as it'd be too much of a pain to make a USB install with my current setup, if that's how it works
Just borrow an optical drive from an old PC or something, you only need it for an hour. Then unplug it and give it back.

Unless you have a bunch of games on DVD, then I guess you want it. I used to occasionally use my burner to make DVDs from downloaded films and watch them in the loungeroom but those days are gone aren't they?

It's not that risky. Just make sure their isnt a power outage. Some boards also have dual bios just in case.

>Flashing bios sounds scary, but there is "better ddr compatibility" in newest update
Some boards aren't listed anywhere except the monufacturer's website as having 3000MHz support, presumably because they added it to later revisions of the BIOS. Like the other user said, make a backup of the current firmware.

you should honestly just do that
how often do you really use an optical drive anyway
also, if you ditch the optical for an external you could go with fractal define s and have the issue completely solved, and with the money you save the external drive would be "free"

>mobo doesnt have usb 3.0
i know, i dont need usb transfer, and anything i need to transfer i can just do through my server anyway, and i could always add a usb 3.0 card
>mobo might not fit
ssi eeb and eatx are the same except for 3 mounting holes, so i still have 6 mounts that work
>can you even overclock
well, its xeon, so no, and dual processor, so no, and server board, so no
i know if im not overclocking that it'll be enough for any desktop par, im asking because that much heat that close may have averse effects on the cooling, and beyond that xeons are some hot mother fuckers sometimes

Is this simply the best AIO cooler for noise/performance?

ID-COOLING FROSTFLOW 240L-R 84.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
pcpartpicker.com/product/GmrcCJ/id-cooling-frostflow-240l-r-845-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-frostflow-240l-r

I have one goal for my PC: play games at 1080p, ultra settings (especially Witcher 3 without hairworks and Battlefield 1), for at least 2 years before upgrades are needed. Not future proof, because that never ends up well. I just want a good machine to last a while.

pcpartpicker.com/list/9HmKqk

what do you think? Should I shoot a little higher than the 1060? The market is in a weird spot right now, basically the only $300 card that makes sense is the r9 Fury if the Nitro model is on sale, but I'm not sure if that big honkin cooler will fit in this case.

I forgot to add the 250gb sata ssd that I already own.

I got a build ready to buy but im having a hard time finding a good chassis. i will be using the h115i cpu cooler, which has a 280mm radiator . (its actually about 317mm). I also want to include a hybrid gtx 1080, probably the msi seahawk.

Im trying to find a case that fits the gtx 1080 radiator as a rear exhaust, and the cpu cooler as a top exhaust. Any advice or recommendations? Is this the ideal radiator setup for AIO water coolers, or should i place the 280mm as a front intake?

Just get some blocks and put a loop together god damn I'm sure there's a cooler bracket for the 1080

Two radiators eh? You might need a pretty good sized case for that. As for air flow, can you make push/pull config work?

Anything to change?

Already have GPU

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ppZPJV

well this is going to be my first build, never done a custom loop before and im scared of screwing up.

yeah i know, i was looking at the evga dg 87
evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-E1-1236-K0

might be able to do push pull on both exhausts, considering this one has 2 rear exhausts and 1 is a bit lower than the other. Not sure if one will interfere with the other.

wifi adapter seems needlessly expensive. If you need the speed that bad, routing some cables through your wall can be done in an hour by a professional, or even do it yourself with some online guides. Or just get a cheaper adapter. The power supply is pretty shit. The CX series has poor reviews, and I've personally had a CX 600 watt fail on me.

Thanks for the reply and answering my comments.

I get what you're saying on all of those, although I disagree somewhat when you say people post mostly random parts. I see a lot of 6600K's, a lot of 1060's,and a fairly decent amount of that AsRock z170 mobo. I can't really recall other parts off the top of my head as they're more varied. I would be interesting to go through (finished) build lists and tally up the top 3 most popular of each part to get an idea of what people generally gravitate towards.

Idk maybe I just want to see more part variation, but then again, it's not like I want a personalized list.

You're all way overthinking this.

Just get a combo cpu/gr AIO.
pic related

Someone in another thread said my GPU was sagging. Did I fix it?

I've been staring at it for a while and can't tell anymore. Even if I push it up with my hand it won't really move up any more.

Looks pretty good to me. Your picture isn't straight on, but if you look at those opposing angles between pink and green, they're pretty similar.

Anyone have experience with mini-itx cases?

right now I'm thinking

Z170 mini itx
1 x 16gb
Gtx 1070
120-250gb ssd
2-3tb HDD
Dan4 or ncase m1.
Would be cool if I could watercool it because I would love for it to stay silent

Or

X99 Atx or micro atx
2 x 8gb ram
Gtx 1070
250gb ssd
Multiple storage drives
Modded powermac g5 case
Air cooled

Both might end up being the same price I think. Buying in Canada hopefully will get deals on cyber Monday.

Is there no way to do:
z170 mini itx
2x8gb ram
120-250gb ssd
itx case of your choosing
watercooled

I need an extra storage drive

Says the M1 has room for quite a few, if you can squeeze. Idk if you want an optical drive or multiple radiators, but if I'm understanding this correctly you'd be able to get away with one radiator with the watercooling, leaving room for 1 drive on the bottom, 2 in that removeable stack, 1 in the front of the chassis, and 1 in place of the optical drive. It might be a 3 OR 3 (only one on bottom); they didn't make it clear, but even so, isn't 3 your requirement?

3 would be nice but I can work with two if I just get a very large HDD.

Okay, so take a look at what I had in my head, trying to understand.

pcpartpicker.com/list/2Nsgnn

I might be completely off base, but for ambiguous parts I mostly just went with highly reviewed stuff, didn't look too much for price optimizations. I think it could work with that case spec-wise, barring anything I haven't thought of.

There are mechanical 2.5" drives up to 4TB now, and these are a lot more small-case friendly. Granted, they're slower drives (5400RPM), but if you just using it for media and general storage, and keep OS+games on the SSD, it's fine.

If you have a lot of larger games installed (which benefit from SSDs during loading) and can't swing an SSD big enough to hold them, you can use a little program called PrimoCache (costs $30) to set aside a portion of your SSD as a read buffer for the HDD. I do this and it works brilliantly for game load times.

Ultra isn't happening at 1080p 60FPS locked with the 1060. But you can get High settings.
Why a Z170 mobo unless you're planning to upgrade to an unlocked CPU?
Also that cooler is funny, just use the cooler that comes with the CPU.

>I see a lot of 6600K's
Yep, I have one listed in the solitary completed 144Hz build. It'll be pared up with the 1080Ti for the 1440p 144Hz build. The builds are really for a purpose, which is why I picked specific parts.

Feel free to suggest parts or builds. (Another one I'm thinking of doing is an emulator build.)

youtube.com/watch?v=ZS-Wh5qN2E8

>nzxt
>leds everywhere

here's an itx, dual fan 1070, 140 aio, 16g 3000 ram, 2 storage drive build for

if i dont plan on overclocking, will i be fine with an air cpu cooler and a gtx 1080? Will be using the the noctua n hd- 15 cpu cooler

just get a hyper 212

I just really don't want people spamming in every thread HEY GUYSE I NEED A NEW JEW MACHINE ARE 4 TITAN XP 124 GB GONNA BE FINE?We keep the board clean for a reason

Meh,I don't mind creating /pcbg/,the brainstorming can be pretty good and I find pixel art somewhat calming so if anons like them I will create more.Or I can just post some ricer cases and meme builds and call it a day~

Has anybody noticed that the instructions for the new noctua coolers seem to leave out tons of steps compared to the old ones? I'm comparing instruction manuals and there are tons of steps missing

Compare this older manual:

noctua.at/media/blfa_files/manual/noctua_nh_u9b_se2_manual_en.pdf

With this newer one:

noctua.at/media/blfa_files/manual/noctua_nh_u12s_manual_en_1.pdf

The newer one shows no fastening brackets in the parts list even though they are clearly shown in an image, pic related. How is this possible? Has anyone used any of these new noctuas?

youtube.com/watch?v=BZEMKEdJEvc
Why do I need an Intel CPU again Cred Forums?

Get the i7-6700 non-K.

My MacBook Pro with Retina display doesn't have these problems.
Instead, it just works and I have a nice day.
I save even more time by not playing video games.

Nothing wrong with nzxt, but...
>leds everywhere
>Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) CL9 1866MHz VENGEANCE PRO
>Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2800MHz CL14 Vengeance
>better ad 32GB(4x8GB) DDR-2 Memory to it because lol free slots :DDDD
>X99
>goes for shitty X99 gaymen mobo anyways
>Build probably 2-3k $
>500 GB 850 EVO instead PCI-E/M.2 and more storage
>fuckin cable management, spaghetti everywhere
>no anti-static, women and cat hair everywhere
>video shows her fiddling with some screws, that's it
>LOL GUISE I BUILD MY COMPUTA PLEASE DONATE XXDDDD XOXO
>nerdphilia, 26k subs, 528k views, 20k likes
I bet all the omega whiteknight virgins ambissiously donate to her Patreon.

>look mom, i posted it again.. look there.. MOM.. please!

Is a Pentium G4400 build a good build for somebody who's still using LGA775 Core2 Duos?

I only use the computer for programming and shitposting.

If you're fine with the performance of your Core2Duo, why upgrade?
If you feel like upgrading, sure, G4400 is good.

Every now and then I run into issues related to the iGPU being too old. Also it would be nice to have some virtualization support.

I could of course get a video card but that would increase my power usage to little gain.

2.5" HDDs are already trash quality, along with slow 5400rpm it's just a poor choice

my USB mouse is off when I turn it off, then sometime in the night the light turns on
What is the problem, Windows 10 I assume?

Should I pull the trigger on the RX 480 4GB to slightly upgrade this piece of shit? I'm obviously not aiming towards very high quality performance.

>tfw going crazy over a deal on a skylake i3 ($50) even though i don't need it
If I don't buy this i3 my i7 will die overnight, won't it?

Current idea for end of November/Christmas:
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7y6dbj

Going to upgrade the build with a larger SSD, another stick of RAM and possibly the 1080ti.

Is m2 SSD really good or just a meme? Thanks to people who were helping me earlier but I had to sleep.

Ignore this link its actually:

can.pcpartpicker.com/list/K4FMCy

Idk if the G4400 iGPU is good enough, but it's a good and cheap upgrade if you're still on a Core2Duo.

You're probably using an iGPU from 2007-2009 so the G4400's iGPU will feel like you've upgraded from a cheap GPU to a Titan X.

>2nd link doesn't work
>1st link
>2800$ build
>skips on cooler and case
I don't get it.. what is it with you people..

pcpartpicker.com/list/vJwXRG
Is this a good gaming build? I don't really have a budget

What should I upgrade then? The cpu? Leave the cpu, upgrade the GPU? A 1070 doesn't feel right for this. R9 390 maybe just a little weak to keep 60/ultra. Does that pretty much only leave me with a Fury? Do you think finding a used gtx980 is a good idea?

This should run 99% of games including AAA at minimum high/ultra settings and there's room to save some money.

At 1080p i should add.

What about 1440p? My current monitor is 1080p@60hz but I plan on getting a 1440p@144hz monitor.

Idk, but you could go to logicalincrements and look at their guides. See if the games listed there apply to you and compare the resolution & needed build for smooth gameplay.
If you want to be 100% sure that everything you throw at your computer will handle 1440p@144Hz even tomorrow, you should probably invest into a GTX1080, but that's just me taking a guess.

Questions: I plan to buy 8GB RAM now and another 8GB next year, when they get cheaper. Is this a good plan?
People on forums like tomshardware say this is risky because the new RAM might be incompatible with the old one. Is this true? I've mix matched RAM before, but never had problems. Have you?

I decided to upgrade my CPU+mobo+RAM. I currently have a C2D E8400.
I'm buying a i3 6100, MSI H110M PRO-VD mobo, the cheapest Kingston HyperX DDR4 and leaving the GTX 1060 for later.

Why not the cheapest i3 (6100)?

Is this a good NAS setup Cred Forums:
pcpartpicker.com/list/Mvbfd6

Planning to use Debian. I wanted to set up something that would be as cheap, quiet and energy-efficient as possible. Is the 360W power supply overkill? I couldn't find any at a lower wattage than that which were Gold certified...

Also thinking of setting up RAID 0, but the motherboard says it doesn't have RAID support. Do I need to use a RAID expansion card or is there a software solution?

pcpartpicker.com/list/CVGRVY
Modified your build, this should be fine but doublecheck everything in case you want to buy this.

I can't decide on whether I should upgrade my old build or if I should go new.

Old build: FX 4130, gtx 560ti, 8gb ddr3, 500w PSU corsair.

I remember seeing somewhere that you can make a really cheap but powerful build using old server CPUs?
If I upgrade, what should I upgrade? Was thinking of getting a 750ti buy I'm not sure if it's worth the uogtafr.

>People on forums like tomshardware say this is risky because the new RAM might be incompatible with the old one
I had this exact problem with my 6 year old computer. The RAM i originally used or any approved RAM is no longer available, i bought 2x4GB Crucial that theoretically should run without problem, but it didn't. Had to clear CMOS afterwards. With older systems this can be a problem, but if you have a newer one, just buy 8GB now and the same RAM next year. Adding the same RAM won't break anything.

Buy 8GB now. Buy 2x8GB next year and save or sell the old module.

>new RAM might be incompatible with the old one. Is this true?
It's sort of rare but happens. The worse I've seen in all these years was blue screens of death when the system was under HEAVY load or a system that wouldn't boot when both modules were installed.

Ohhh fuggg

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bMvkf8

Are m2 ssds a meme?

Everything's a meme, user..

Can anyone suggest me a SSD and HDD that would give me the most performance and reliability for the money?I was thinking a 3TB for the HDD and 500 GB for the SSD

They are more expensive, smaller and faster versions of SSDs.
Everything is a meme.

How much money do you have available to spend? Your cpu is pretty shit. Your graphics card also needs an upgrade. A 750ti is starting to not really cut it these days.

Fuck man, where is this?

Is Galax stuff any good?I never heard of them but their HoF series seems fucking amazing.

Wow. I told my friend that I ordered a i3-6100 for the price of a G4400 and he laughed at me and said I was a retard and should have bought an i7 instead.

I just want to watch videos, shitpost, play light opensource games and do some light coding to kill. Did I fuck up?

I live in a dusty environment... no mater how much I vacuum, there's some dust around the computer.

I placed apiece of HEPA filter in front of the front chassis fan. It's some chink 120mm fan. Airflow is not as strong as before and I need a better fan.

A buddy of mine told me that for these kinds of situations, I need a special kind of fan. He couldn't remember what the name for these fans are.

Anyone know? Also, which fan would you recommend in this situation?

It's called water cooler.

No youre friend is a Cred Forumsaymer faggot

way too expensive bro. I'm stuck with air fans.

Are these called high pressure fans?

You didn't fuck up.
Most games do well with an i3/5, a few actually get a downgrade from using the i7.

So. These are the parts that I currently have.
What monitor should I get? I also need more storage. I think 500Gb more is enough for me. Recomendations?

Seagate HDDs are cheap mate,do you plan on gaming at 1080p or 1440?

1080/144hz monitor to take advantage of the 1070 you have in there, I know that much.

>1050W PSU
I hope you're going to SLI this shit.. otherwise this is a stupid amount of money blown out the window.

Why is Intel changing the socket every year?

>Why is Intel changing the socket every year?
Yeah, i wonder why..

Why is the doggo crying ;_;

Thank you. But are HDD's much slower than SDD? If i place my steam library in there?

>do you plan on gaming at 1080p or 1440?
Im not quite sure yet.

Is this any good?
benq.com/product/gaminggears/xl2411

I managed to get that dirt cheap from a store that was going bankrupt. Otherwise would have gotten smaller.

Meh HDDs are not that slow,you can just put the OS and most loading intesive games on the SSD and keep the rest in the HDD.Heck I got over 400 GB of games in mine and I can't really complain.

Any thoughts on this? I want to know what I'm getting into before I pull the trigger.

They've made a deal with motherboard manufacturers.

The difference is not really noticeable, its like an extra secound or two in load screens. Place your most played games on SSD and everything else on HDD. It's much more important for OS and applications such as browser that you open multiple times each day.

Got my money ready, got most of the stuff picked out, build almost complete.

Two last questions: for RAM, I'm set on a 16GB, dual channel, 3000 MHz CL15 kit, but there's a bunch of options around:

Baseline I was thinking of getting: Corsair Vengeance LPX. Price is okay, looks are okay.

But there are some alternatives: G.Skill Ripjaws V is the same price, but looks worse. G.Skill Ripjaws 4 looks okay and is 5% cheaper. Any reason you'd recommend picking either of those instead?

There's also slightly more expensive(like barely over 5% more) option, Corsair Dominator Platinum - now this one just looks cool as hell, I'm tempted to buy it just because it looks so nice. Any reason NOT to go for this? Random review I run into seems to praise it.

And finally for the most important piece of the build, the GPU: I'm going with the 1070, and Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP seems to be the best bang for the buck, it's like $20 over the cheapest available 1070 here. Again, any reason not to go for this particular model? Only alternative I see is Inno3D GeForce GTX 1070 iChill X3 at slightly higher price, and MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Armor OC a bit cheaper but more basic. Everything else is either significantly more expensive, or absolutely stock.

Any advice/opinions welcome.

Sell it on craiglist and get a cheaper, 1050W is completely wasted.

RAM only has two factors that matter: speed and latency. Everything else is just marketing bullshit. (Well apart from ECC but that's for servers.) Looks are up to you but even those green chips without any heatspreader on them work just as well as those billion dollar gaymer memories as long as they got the same specs.

Guess I'll just go for the Dominators. I mean, they're just so shiny and chrome, I can't say no to that, can I?

did you check for benchmarks? that should give you an idea.

r8 pls

suggestions. Gentoo for daily tasks, email, music playing.

um what you're gunna want the fastest cpu you can get with gentoo

Looks fine, expensive though. What's your res? Probably better to spend money on a nice monitor to go with that build if you're still at 1080p 60Hz

1080Ti is coming in Jan

I would prefer some type of PC hardware pic or something for OP img, but of course you could post whatever you want as entertainment below that.

If you're buying new, doesn't make sense to go with such an old, dead platform. Used, a 990 mobo and a 6350 is awesome. That's what I have

The 480 is probably a somewhat overpowered for (i.e., bottleneck by) that CPU. I'd suggest the 1050Ti when it comes out or a used 380/x.

>What should I upgrade then?
The 6GB 1060 is a great 1080p 60Hz card. My point was that you don't need "maximum" or "Ultra" to have excellent graphical fidelity. Ultra isn't worth it these days, considering it requires a $400 graphics card. High or Very High is where it's at, which can be had with a $200 graphics card. You'd be hard pressed to spot the differences between Ultra and High.

>The 480 is probably a somewhat overpowered for (i.e., bottleneck by) that CPU. I'd suggest the 1050Ti when it comes out or a used 380/x.

I actually meant to say RX 460. Whoops.

I don't really know, but I'd get x2 4TB drives. I already have x2 2TB + 4TB (total 8TB) in my desktop.

What socket is your mobo? If AM3 see if you can flash the bios to AM3+. If you can, pick up a used 6350 or 8350. If you're stuck on AM3 you might consider upgrading an LGA1151 platform, considering AMD doesn't have any competitive CPUs out right now for a new gaming build.

If you can get use one of those AM3+ CPUs or if you buy a 1151 platform, upgrade your graphics card to a 4GB 470 or 3GB 1060.

If you're stuck on AM3 and you just want a graphics upgrade, get a used 380/x or wait for the 1050Ti.

Personally 1.5TB or 3TB are too risky from a failure perspective. Make sure you have some in-the-field reliability assurance on the particular model of HDD you want. Personally I'd say 2TB or 4TB, considering $/TB is linear. As far as SSD, 250GB is enough. Toshiba OCZ 240GB is $60 with a 3 year warranty.

u good m8

For storage, get a 2TB HGST for around $50. Not worth it on $/TB basis to get a smaller drive.

Since you have a 1070 and an unlocked i7, I'd get 1440p 144Hz (possibly VA panel, slightly less Hz) and start preparing to SLI with the 1070 or upgrade to 1170 when it comes out.

>Why is Intel changing the socket every year?
AMD has been stuck on AM3/+ for a long ass time. 1151 is sticking around for two gens at least, Skylake and Kaby Lake.

>But are HDD's much slower than SDD? If i place my steam library in there?
Put your steam library on the SSD.

If you're getting 3000MHz RAM, make sure you have a z170 mobo. Or drop it down to 2133.

As far as the 1070 goes, I would get the cheapest model with a decent factory OC.

Make sure you can connect that monitor to the graphics card easily. This user may have a point

460 is a little weak in my opinion. A used 380x is the same price and much more powerful, but not overpowered for the CPU

Are workstation components more durable than consumer? Should I go for Z170 or X99?

Is there any benefit to ECC RAM in a regular PC?

just built my first pc yesterday and my fury runs at 65c just playing CSGO. I haven't tried any more demanding games. doesn't that seem quite high though?

What's the fan speed at?

I didn't know that was a thing I could change. where would I find that? I want to play Skyrim but I'm afraid the temperature is going to skyrocket

Leave this board right now

pcpartpicker.com/list/bjQ9Cy

First build, want to play some MMOs and light streaming but im not sure if i'm being cost effective

gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

65c isn't really a high temp and chances are the fans on your card are barely spinning.

Don't change the actual fan speed. The card already does that automatically for you.

Let me guess.. stock cooler and you are torturing the CPU?
>I didn't know that was a thing I could change. where would I find that?

This is the gaudiest shit ever, how do I read this?

>If you're getting 3000MHz RAM, make sure you have a z170 mobo. Or drop it down to 2133.
Yeah, I should've probably posted the rest of the build: pcpartpicker.com/list/ZXXGJV

I just ordered everything other than the GPU and CPU cooler, though(ignore the prices, they're there just because I was curious about how much I was getting screwed over compared to US prices. Surprisingly not that much considering the 23% VAT ).

>As far as the 1070 goes, I would get the cheapest model with a decent factory OC.
The Zotac is pretty much that. Does shit like power connectors matter? Another reason I'm considering it is because it was the cheapest one with more than one 8pin connector.

Oh wow they must have updated the UI, mine looks nothing like that.

I think if you scroll down at the bottom part you should be able to find the GPU fan speed.

You need Gamer Visionâ„¢

hows my build. I don't need a gpu

Yeah high pressure/static pressure but really there's much more practical options than a hepa filter
Like PC dust filters are basically window screen sized for a reason, the fans are not high pressure enough to pull air through a filter like that

>Another reason I'm considering it is because it was the cheapest one with more than one 8pin connector.
The 1070 TDP is 150W (which does not necessarily indicate load power consumption), and a single 8-pin plus PCIe slot power gives you 150 + 75W = 225W, which is plenty. Also look out for the warranty, three years is good.

Depends on what you mean by light streaming.

Need SSD, 750W PSU is overkill unless SLI/CF

I spent about $60 on 2x8GB 3000mhz ram

>750W
That's a little much, even if you slap a 1080ti in there.
>32GB 2133
If you have usage for the 32GB, fine, but get 3000 RAM.
If you have a few bucks left you could invest in a better mobo, too, the ASRock is fine, though.

>1080ti is coming in Jan
Sauce or fake and gay

Apparently that's the new default skin. I changed it to something more legible. Looks like the fan speed is set to 22. Should I change it?

How many watts does the 1080ti run at?

I just feel like the whole computer runs hot

>bought a 1000W PSU for my single GPU and i5 computer
>80+ gold, semi modular
How did I do

light as in I wont be running everything on ultra but I would like it to be in a decent range as far as graphics go

The room I'm in is 25° Celsius right now.

Not out yet. But i5+1080 runs at just under 400W according to pcpartpicker, let's put 150W of safety and room for whatever to it.
Now it's 550W, so even if the 1080ti has massive powerdraw, 650W should be fine under any circumstance.

CPU temp is fine. The GPU is pretty warm for idle but I'm pretty sure that's normal when using a 144hz monitor.

I bought a 500W PSU for pic related, I'm not going to judge you.

what's a usual GPU idle temp?

When is the 1080ti coming out

55c~ because most modern GPUs including R9 Fury shut off the fans at lower hz.

Try setting your monitor to 120hz.

January or so..

Or so?
Early next year confirmed?
I haven't even seen it announced yet, trying to decide what to buy

can I pre order it

wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-launch-january/

So probably early next year, and probably $800+
The only thing this confirms is that it exists though

I deliberately made a splurge rig. Requesting someone trim the fat to see how much less it can cost (without sacrificing very much.)

pcpartpicker.com/list/bBxmCy

Jonnyguro gace CX series a flat 7-7.5 would not even touch with a 10foot pole.
Buy evga if on budget buy seaget for best on market ripple control and efficiency

>pcpartpicker.com/list/bBxmCy
Define purpose you shitty image poster.

>preorder
man wtf is wrong with the retards ?

Video games, recording video games, rendering videos of video games.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/bBxmCy
damn partpicker is already made so moneys can use it.... retards still can´t use it... fucking define what you already bought int he options so it won´t show with a price tag.

Who else is waiting for the 1080ti?

>fucking define what you already bought int he options so it won´t show with a price tag.

None of it.

If you're buying new no reason to get a DDR3 plaform, just go i7 6700K

Everyone with 1440p 144Hz or 4K 60Hz should be

As for games, itll have the 4K advantage and nothing else. It's up to monitor manufactures to make it a success

1080 kills it in 1440p 144hz now, and it'll still be a few hundred cheaper than 1080ti new
I'm waiting for the price to go down on 1080's, nvidia is killing the Titan XP for this ti, it's gotta make a price impact on past models

1080Ti will be a better value in terms of $/perf. No reason the buy the 1080 except immediate need

Although you might be right in that the release of the 1080Ti could drive down the price of the 1080 to reasonable levels. Also the TitanXP isn't a gaming card.

$800 or more for something that I won't be able to tell the difference on my monitor with is retarded. I'm looking for a $400-500 card that can max 1440p at high fps, if I wanted to spend hella money for a 1080ti id get a Titan X now

But the 1080 is a Titan XP
12GB, same GPU same chips just gimped ever so slightly and then overclocked

>go to Titan XP on nvidia web page
>LATEST GAMING TECHNOLOGIES

>But the 1080 is a Titan XP
I assume you mean 1080Ti, but TitanXP has different features, both hardware and driver level.

I've watched the gaming benchmarks come in over a few years and often the Titan cards fall way behind their cut down versions specifically designed for gaming

>omg the jews are at it again
You sound surprised.

1080ti*

How do you people make your builds so cheap? Most places I see gaming builds for ~$1200, but I can't seem to get them that low. Also, other places on the internet say high end PCs should be around $2k. Am I just retarded?
pcpartpicker.com/list/wfR8QV

pcpartpicker.com/list/vVgxgL

I just picked the first 1070 I saw, probably going to wait until next year before I buy a gpu anyway. Any recommendations for a gpu or gambling advice on waiting for price drops?

The old Titans, not the newest one. Nvidia advertises it as "do anything" but it's API optimized and obviously doesn't fall behind anything in games

Get the cheapest 1070 and aircooler and you save $300 right there
I want to see a decent $1200 1080 build but that's unlikely

Pcpartpicker doesn't show every store or retailer for parts. You can save a lot of money if you order or go to a microcenter near you. Also price drops for parts occur near the holidays and seasonal changes. You might be spending a good part of a year gathering parts for a build before assembly as you find parts at prices that appeal to you.

Hints
You don't need i7 for gaming.
1080 is shitty price

Definitely just wait on the graphics card. Possible that the release of Kaby Lake will force a short term price drop on Skylake

>you don't need an i7 for gaming
That meme isn't true anymore.

You still don't need one at all, but more and more games are supporting HT

You can play AAA games on an i3, and that's just barely pushing the limits

About 250
I think I can do am3+

pcpartpicker.com/list/TNHjnn
Is this better?

>$136 mobo

most $100 mobos are super cheap now, but whatever. pcpartpicker.com/list/7RxmCy

Canadafag here

Wondering if i should go with an 6700k or go "Future proof" with an 6900k

Mostly gaming but i alway alt-tab and do other shit while gaming so..(144hz1080p , will upgrade to 4k60fps+ soon )

Case wise id like an atx with good airflow , don't care for windows and all the RGB shit..

Current case if an Huge As Fuck X looking for something way smalller

Oh and I already have the Storage (2x3TB+2TB) just need a SSD for OS

Also a leaf here. I'm getting a 6700k for my first high end build.

If you're going for a 6900k you might as well splurge and go as best as possible. Though it really won't net you any significant gaming improvement. If you're worried about alt tabbing go for a 5820k.

Is there any worthwhile way to breathe some new life into this?
I'd like to upgrade it (mostly the processor) but I'd prefer to not have to dump a shitload of money into a new motherboard/ram/etc

My computer broke today and I am sad. I am technologically illiterate. Should I buy a gaming computer this weekend? Should I be waiting for anything in particular? Sorry I know you get this a lot.

even a 4790k will do nowadays,is just people memeing on about 5% more effeciency (which is true but not too bad), older i7 and i5s still hold up,literally pointless to get an i7 unless you're doing professional editing or insane multitasking

Read the stickies and build one.
They're expensive legos, it's really hard to fuck it up. Especially now that modern operating systems will correct any bungled configurations you set up and will automagically get most of the drivers.

So I have finished my PC build however I still have not activated my windows. I know I can use stuff like daz loader ,but for some reason I think I would feel paranoid if I did. Should I just buy a key for 20$ or something?
>inb4 buying windows
I know buying windows is dumb ,but I feel like it would give me a piece of mind. Do you guys have experience with windows loaders? Am I paranoid for no reason?

If you gaymen then consider a new graphic card

Never buy a "gaming" prebuilt. That's just a gimmick different companies use to entice idiotic preteens who know nothing about computers and use bright red parts along with flashy fonts to catch your eye, and they may have some ok specs but you will be way better off building your own and saving enough cash to buy a better gpu and extra case fans or LED straps if you want that prebuilt "gaming" look.

Bottleneck user here. Any tips before I start ordering parts? I plan on formatting my hard drive and reusing it.

pcpartpicker.com/list/2XCcxY

>Any thoughts on this?
I think it's a really comfy pic

Why're you buying an MSI mobo specifically? AFAIK there's cheaper ones out there that can do everything it can.

I like MSI more than ASUS and Gigabyte.

>Should I just buy a key for 20$ or something?
If you can be sure that it's a legit key then sure, $20 is nothing.

If it's some guy on reddit selling the same key to everyone who asks, then I wouldn't bother.

Does M$ have a utility for checking if a key has already been activated?

Looks good, but I'd change to a 2TB HGST HDD for reliability and get the OCZ 240GB SSD on a cost basis. Nothing wrong with spending a little extra for an experienced SSD manufacturer

CPU is fine, need new graphics. Eventually (not yet) you can replace the CPU with a used, locked i7. Also it looks like your RAM is either a single stick or not in the right slots, need to alternate for dual channel. If you're single channel grab another 8GB stick (at same Hz).

>broke
Unless you already know the problem, take it to a repair tech. Post your specs and I'll tell you if it's worth it.

No, get microsoft Toolkit from extratorrents

>Bottleneck user here.
You have learned, my son. Looks good.

What about Kinguin selling OEM keys?

Not really pc building but should Driverpack solution be trusted?

It's really not that hard to just get them from the manufacturers. Most hardware will come with it and install itself, and updating occasionally is pretty easy on a per component basis.

True.
But 1 click getting every thing done is convenient though.

I know this is 6600k general, but is it worth getting an H170 motherboard + 6700 over a 6600k + a z170 motherboard? The i7 combo is about $14 more.

Fair enough, I suppose. I don't have any experience with it personally, I don't update my drivers much.

Depends on how much you'd overclock the i5 and what you want to use the machine for. Which are?

I don't think I'd be able to overclock too much on a 520W PSU, even if it's SeaSonic. I figure getting the i7 would be better due to the 65W TDP and for future proofing as Kaby Lake and above only support windows botnet.

Yeah kaby lake is a gimmick. I'd go with the i7 then. is the base clock still 4ghz?

Forgot to mention it's mostly for gaming.

No. It's 3.4 GHz, 0.1 GHz below stock 6600k speeds. Max turbo boost goes 0.1 GHz more though.

Ah ok, that's still damn fast though, and it's got 8 threads for better multitasking, should you ever need to do some srs multicore stuff.

I'm an i7 fanboy though, but still.

Are Rosewill Valens safe PSUs?

>Buy 2.7 GHz processor.
>It runs at 3.2 GHz.

Why is this? I have a H110 motherboard, I don't even think it can overclock.

What's the cheapest 200+ GB SSD I can get that isn't garbage? By isn't garbage I mean won't shit the bed or be slow enough to have adverse effects in my manchild video games.

Samsung 850 EVO. Don't cheap out on storage.

here

1440 gsync and a denon avr 987 receiver so thats covered. money isn't a problem as I am selling my current 4690/970 build. it's time for babbys first oc

>storing your data on a bomb

I see what you did there

pcpartpicker.com/list/BMgyWX

Just moved out, no money just want to stream media in hd and play a few games. only have an A8 laptop now so literally anything would be better right Cred Forums?

Crucial bx200. I have a bx100 256gb and it has worked great for about 3 years.
Bx200 is just a newer model

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZqyrM8
>inb4 OC mobo with non-K CPU
It's the cheapest board with the features I need for future storage expansion. Don't worry about it.
PSU is a gift from a mate who upgraded his recently so it's locked in.

Im going to get a 1060. How do I know which one isnt reference cards?

get the second most expensive one

/pcbg/ I need help!
I want to host a VPS server but I can't decide which processor to use.
Can you advice me on what should I look for so I don't end up overpaying something I'm not going to fully use or paying less than I should?
I have a limit of $500usd for the processor, the less I spend the better since I could use that money to other parts of the build.

You might want to get a Xeon.

Yeah, that was kind of implicit but forgot to add to my post, I'm currently thinking on buying
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3WM1028
But I'm not sure if that would be enough, more or less than what I need to host 8 VPS mainly for web hosting on it.

I'm building a pc for a friend, do I need a cpu cooler or is the stock one fine?

Cheap out on SSD storage, it might be one of the best places to cheap out

My budget is about $800. Is there anything wrong with this build at all? This is my first PC I'm building, so I'm very ignorant in all respects.

No OC = stock cooler will be okay.
It'll do the job.

thanks

Go for the i5 6500. its either 6600K or no 6600 at all

Change SSD to samsung or dont have one at all. If you are so concerned about budge, do you really need an SSD right now?

Use that money you save to get 16GB ram and a 1TB WD HDD

Up the PSU to at least 550W also

What the other guy said but I also would like to suggest that you switch that 5400rpm hdd with a 7200rpm one. 5400rpm is pretty much laptop speed.

Any similarly priced, good Samsung SSDs?

Nope. Also low end samsungs are pretty risky themselves. People were having issues just last gen with the previous Evos ones.

There is no reason to have brand loyalty like only buy samsung or not at all.
Offbrand (aka less popular brands) ones like adata or crucial sata ones are great for the price per GB. Just make sure you have a decent enough warrenty on them or that they are rated for the amount of writes you plan to use it for.
That is usually in TB these days, so your little 120GB drive should have a microcontroller failure before the nand actually wears out.

Turbo clock

Be warned that some games will simply not run on a 2 core / 2 thread CPU. 2 core / 4 thread is the minimum on those games.

Get 3000MHz RAM

Check base and boost clocks

Drop to i5 6500 and consider a B150 or H170 mobo. If you stick with the Z170 get 3000MHz RAM

Drop to i5 6500 and consider a B150 or H170 mobo. If you stick with the Z170 get 3000MHz RAM

Get a larger SSD, 240GB

Why should I go with a Micro motherboard? I'm very ignorant.

>buying overclock mobo for locked CPU

This is what you will do now: 1. leave this board immediately, 2. do your own fucking research (logicalincrements, etc.), 3. come back if you know the basics.
Nothing personal kid, but spoonfeedin' ain't a thing around here..

>Drop to i5 6500
Isn't the improvement worth it? Logicalincrements list the 6600 single-threaded performance as 121% a i7 5960X while a 6500 is at 107%, sounded like a good deal for about 20 bucks of difference
>and consider a B150 or H170 mobo. If you stick with the Z170 get 3000MHz RAM
will look into it, thanks