I5 6400

>i5 6400
>2.7ghz quad core
>same performance in most tasks as a dual core i3 6100

Why does the i5 6400 even exist? It's got a lower clock speed than an i5 750.

Other urls found in this thread:

trustedreviews.com/intel-core-i5-6400-review-performance-and-verdict-page-3
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/71760-intel-skylake-i5-6500-i5-6400-i3-6100-review-7.html

twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

:^)

sauce?

trustedreviews.com/intel-core-i5-6400-review-performance-and-verdict-page-3

hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/71760-intel-skylake-i5-6500-i5-6400-i3-6100-review-7.html

Literally Ivy bridge ipc

>mfw my friend bought an i5 6400 instead of i5 6500 or i3 6100

market segmentation. it's a common tactic to make unappealing products that drive people to higher priced products like the 6600k and 6700k.

Well it made my buy the i3 instead

it makes me promote the 6100 and 6320 anytime someone complains about the 6600k's price

This.

The 6100 is insane value and a really solid CPU for budget 1440p.

>clock speed
>2016

Now that's a semen demon if I ever saw one

oy vey buy new cpu
> not realizing it's the jews

an i3 6100 is an upgrade from sandy bridge i5 and earlier processors.

>buying a new cpu

who waiting for cannon lake here?

Clock speed aint everything for singlecore perfomance.

Is that factoring in the performance gains from DDR4?

Ironically enough, the i5 6400 is a great buy if purchased with a cheap z170 board. It'll hit 4.4ghz with just a hyper212. Same goes for the i3 6100 but those physical cores make a huge difference.

Those physical cores will destroy virtual cores with an overclock, but you can also OC the i3.

Also on z170 boards tend to cost a fair bit more so it's not as viable for people on a budget

I agree. From personal experience, the i3 6100 was entirely sufficient for 1080p 60fps with a 1060. Incredible value. However for another $30 I could have went z170 instead of b150. I eventually did and while the OC on the 6100 then enabled me to upgrade to 144hz 1080p a few specific games(Overwatch/WoW/gta) wanted the physical cores. I switched to i5 6400, run it at 4.3ghz, and returned the 1080p for 1440p 144hz pixio. I feel this is the sweet spot for value.

I suggest finding the money for a z170 board. Down the road should you ever a pcie ssd(theyre INCREDIBLE), better than 2133ddr4, etc you will want the z170.

Returning to my main point, the i5 6400 is, in my opinion, the best performance to dollar when matched with a z170 for all gaming applications. It will be indistinguishable for a 6600k for games. Rendering videos will also GREATLY benefit from the physical cores as will most professional software.

While I mostly agree, most people on a budget would pair the i3 6100 with a h110 instead of paying extra for b150 or z170.

If your goal is 1080p60fps that is the way to go and it is a great value. One of the best since I've been a PC hobby person, which is going on a decade now.
I was just listing thoughts I suppose.
To rephrase;
1080p 60 fps: dirt cheap mobo/i3 6100
However if you have any intention of upgrading storage to pci, wanting faster ram, overclocking a cpu, whatever, the z170 is DEFINITELY worth the slight increase in money. As long as it's not dropping you a GPU tier.
Also I went through two gigabyte h110m before I got one that wasn't DOA.

But the thead is about the 6400 and
answered correctly. I'm just pointing out that, even though it's not intended, it can match a 6600k. So it has a real purpose for advanced users(overclocking is advanced kek)

need to see this piece of Pure Lily White Meat get Blacked. wont be able to sleep tonight without thinking about her getting a Superior Cock from a Superior Black Man

I swear to fucking God, this Jewish interracial propaganda HAS TO FUCKING STOP

FOR WHAT PURPOSE

(you)

There's a pretty big price difference here in aus, but I understand your point.

When you're on a budget you gotta choose where you want to make the compromises

>6400 2.70ghz
>750 2.66ghz

Um.

Guys I fucked up.

I made my first build a week ago. I guess I could of saved 80 bucks... Which is like $60 american.

Oh wow. It's not that drastic here in the US but still similar. I paid like a few extra dollars when I went from a gigabyte h110m to a MSI b150(which btw is way higher quality, thicker pcb, nicer bios, etc). You can find z170 boards here for ~90 USD.

I always try to buy the absolute best price to performance/value parts/config that I can, even if I can afford a superior part. Buyers remorse is a terrible feeling.

It took 26 posts for someone to figure this out.
Cred Forums really has gong downhill...

I wouldn't have seen it if not for infinite scroll. I'm surprised no one else thought of it. I also wondered if op meant 760 @ 2.80ghz and maybe mistyped. It's whatever though.

jesus do you realize how badly your gpu seems to be sagging?

maybe its just the picture but I just stared at it for a good 30 seconds in disbelief. jam something between the bottom of the card and the space between your psu and hdd rack to support it.

i don't know, the i5 6500 kind of sucks too. The 6700k is like the only decent skylake cpu

Our prices include tax btw, but still the price difference is enough to do a decent upgrade to another part of your pc.
Like maybe go from rx 470 to 480.

Just moving the cables so the power cables come in from the top instead of bottom of the card should be enough.

mfw

I feel like I almost never pay tax when I buy things on the internet. If you buy a item fufilled by amazon but not sold by there is never tax.

I think it's an optical illusion from the angle I took the photo.

Link to nudez pls (if she's of age, of course)

Op is a faget and won't sauce
Erene from Femjoy

That's brah

I just bought an i5 6500. It's literally coming to my house via mail tomorrow.

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE WARN ME BEFORE???
I THOUGHT 4 REAL CORES WAS BETTER THAN 2 REAL+2 FAKE CORES

Should I just return the i5 back to Amazon? The GPU that I ordered was a GTX 1060 if that helps

1080p 60fps? Yes
Does 60 bucks not matter much? no enjoy it

Ok thank u breh

They are better. Here's the thing though, it's at the cost of IPC. The i3 has similar single thread performance to the best skylake can do. The i5 6400 is below that. 65 a bit better. While games do better on 4 real cores they do even better than that on a cpu with better IPC. So the i3 balances out. Some games will prefer the i3 slightly or it will tie with the i5, some other games the i5 will double the i3 (gta). You build a gaming pc based on the games you will play.

Like wow/overwatch need a fucking i5 desu to go past 1080p 60fps. My i3 6100/1060 drops down to 45 fps sometimes in WORLD OF WARCRAFT 10 YEAR OLD GAME

I'm pretty sure an i5 6500 would destroy the 6400 and 6100?

It's the 6400 that has the issue of horribly low clocks

>tfw still using i5 4460

If I upgrade to a 6500, would I see a substantial improvement in CPU performance?

Yeah. The 6500 is 3.2GHz and the 6400 is 2.7GHz. The i3 6100 is 3.7GHz for comparison.

You'd benefit mainly from ram speeds, so it's not really worth it.

Best to wait a couple of years and upgrade to a cheap used haswel i7

It'll be a decision based on an economic model which will not perfectly reflect real world outcome.

I'm mainly using it for audio production and gaming. Anyway I was thinking of upgrading either my 970 or my 4460, which one should go first? Im not getting 60 fps on BF1..

>tfw still using an i7 920
I even have a GTX980Ti and it destroys games

Is BF1 even out yet or still beta? If beta then you shouldn't be concerned about performance yet.

>tfw i7 [email protected]
Still going strong

>buying intel

Holy shit.

Why do people even benchmark alpha and beta gameplays again?

its not about clock speed, its about ipc dumbshit

Are you retarded?

>the i3 has much higher clock
>so the faster clock cpu does faster in games because games are often poorly multithreaded
Wow what a fucking shocker there.

Put the i5 at 3.7GHz and see what happens.

How do you even overclock a non-K? I thought Intel patched that out of Skylake many months ago with forced microcode updates

Just don't update your BIOS and you'll still be able to do the BCLK overclock.

But the i5 6400 is a locked cpu. No OC available.

You can overclock non-K Skylakes using what is called BCLK overclock.

However, Intel bitched at motherboard manufacturers to disable this feature. But, if your MOBO hasn't yet been updated to disable it, you can still do it, going up to 4.5GHz easily

they also updated the cpu microde iirc so you can't do it on newer ones

>buying intel

Does AMD have anything worth buying right now?

Is Zen not going to be an overpriced, underpowered disaster?

Didn't think so.

H-how old is she?

Well 2bh it depends on what you want to use your pc for.

Cheap piece of shit like athlon 5350 is great value for general use pc(web browsing/media consumption/office use), and APUs like the A8 7650k or A10 7800 are pretty sweet for cheap junk you want to hook up to your tv for the occasional steam game and shit.

But in general, no not really since an i3 6100+rx470 will destroy everything else in raw value

If an i5 6400 can be overclocked to 4.5GHz can an i3 6100 be overclocked to something insane like 5.5 GHz?

I5 6400 gets to 4.3ghz usually and i3 6100 gets to 4.7 ghz I think.

The i5 would still perform better though because 4 physical cores and diminishing returns.

I would still get the i5 for the 6M cache. Clock speed isn't everything.

>first gallery: December 7, 2007
>that's 3217 days ago
>site carries 18 U.S.C. 2257 notice
>18 years plus 3217 days
>current age: at least 26 years
She could have become a cake by now.

In real world though the performance is very similar, with the i3 performing better in some cases than the i5.

It's better to save your money and buy the i3, or spend extra and buy a 6600k.

Thank the lord.

Over 18. It's a femjoy model.

7/10

>could of
You have bigger problems than losing $80

Go back to /reddit/

Not worth it when you also have to spend an extra 100 on the mobo. Here in Europe at least.

What ram speeds does H110 support?

He is right though. You got big problems that may not be fixable.

>Is Zen not going to be an overpriced, underpowered disaster?

Signs point to no, and you're retarded for making that claim before we have real benchmarks, just as people who claim it'll blow shit out of intel are.

2133MHz
If you look at Digital Foundry's 6100 vid you can see that's not enough.

"Core i3 6100 4.4GHz/RAM Overclocking Benchmark Analysis"

poorfags btfo

the great part of this chart is how bad for the money the i7 is compared to the xeon line up. like what purpose does anyone have buying the i7 except retards that wanna look leet in front of their gaymur fag friends.

Xeons usually have lower single core power and literally no oc capabilities.

Please stop recommending the i3

That's single core only. The i7s have 4 cores with HT do they destroy in multicore performance

In that PARTICULAR chart, xeons fare badly. High-clocked xeons tend to be stupidly expensive. You'll be paying over $600 for a xeon that has slightly worse single-threaded performance than 6700k at stock clocks.

>an overclocked 4 year old fx6350 can beat the latest skylake i5 6400 from Intel

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>stock 6400, 65W TDP
>overclocked fx6350 housefire edition, >300W TDP

Source?

Bitch you got some motherfucking sauce for that shit?

Nononono

Just get Kaby lake or skylake X

WHERE'S THE FUCKING SOURCE FOR THIS YOU CUNT

clock speed matters, grated once you pass 3ghz everything is good enough, however you do something cpu intensive, then the clock speed comes into play again

for games, its something like 4-4.5ghz is whats needed to push anything that can go to 120 to 120

The more memory bandwidth being used on each individual frame the more clock speed you will need

This is why AMD can compete, because some engines are multithreaded well enough, with a huge IPC clock-per-clock disadvantage, an 8 core vishera can keep up with an HT quad core

Game engines are severely bandwidth bottlenecked today.

no, not a big enough overall improvement. some games will see up to 20% improvement, but thats fucking rare.

honestly, if you can hold out there's no reason not to at least wait on zen, there is a chance its good and cheapish, they have a price range of 150-1100$ to play with where they pull proffit.

you see amd able to keep up in dx12 and vulcan more so than the odd well threaded game.

that said here's hoping zen brings it for the poorly threaded games.

Still looks crooked

So basically, I wanted to buy 6600k for some future proofability and to play games at 60fps at 1080p + streaming said games. Would i3 suffice for this task?

No. go with the 6700 or wait for kabylake. If you're on a budget get a 2600k that was never abused/OC'd

Or haswell 4770k or 4790k

The bigger problem is going to be your chipset. Kabylake has a lot of enticing features besides just a small improvement to efficiency. Oh and the GPU is the bees knees, but still stuck with dual channel.

As in i7 6700? k version too? I'd have to pay 100€ more for that.

Isn't it just going to be a die-shrink of Kaby Lake? There's really not much point in waiting unless you really need better power efficiency.

I don't see why they didn't keep up with cmt now that dx12 and vulkan are mainstream.

The point is as it's not out now nor are there even any hints to what pricing will be, it's useless to say "hurr durr buy AMD" when the only thing potentially worth buying from them ISN'T OUT YET

After Ivy Bridge there's no fucking way I would touch another refab. We are way too small now to take that even the slightest bit seriously, until it's been fabricated for a few years.

Zen will probably stay in line with kaby lake pricewise, and undercut cannonlake when it inevitably fails.

>femjoy
>over 18
kek

Because you can overclock the i5 and get real performance. Because i3 is limited in anything synthetic/encoding/compute heavy tasks

No, the chart is raw performance increase as total system. If DDR4 was factored in, I'd bet the difference would be cut in half.

damn that sucksss

>with forced microcode updates
How have they supposedly forced microcode updates on already functional systems that were in the users' hands?

Skylake was a "new architecture" (and still barely managed a 5% IPC improvement and it doesn't overclock any better than Sandy Bridge et al.).

Kaby Lake, Cannonlake, and Coffee Lake are all just optimisations/refabs. Icelake is the next expected new architecture and that is scheduled for 2018, which means we likely won't see it until H2 2019.

We can only hope that Zen forces them to do something radical and aim high rather than pushing out the continual marginal improvements with no price reductions as they have for the past 6 years.

who is this

What case is that?

Their average may be the same, but the i3 has lower and more frequent minimums. Who wants stuttering? No one.

The 6500 turbos up to 3.6 so it's effectively 3.6GHz.

Windows automatic updates.

I wish I was lying.

If you're on Linux though you're probably good

So I take it people smart enough to watch out for what updates they get were unaffected.

That's a very low amount of people.

What about newer CPUs being sold?

Control key

>[Return] [Catalog] [Top] 127 / 22 / 61 / 8 [Upd
control key is not a person senpai

Google says so. Wanna fite?

>Skye_lookalike.jpg
Skye lookalike

Who are you?

Its erene from femjoy/Katya from amourangels.
peachy18.com/t/katya-amourangels-erene-femjoy-193356.aspx

Fallout 4 also got astronomical gains going based on RAM speed.

Not sure how this happens, it shouldn't be THIS big.

bear in mind this is release vs alpha. additionally, BF4 was the first game to use Frostbite 3, so it obviously was still being tweak. BF1 is in beta stages, also with Frostbite 3, so improvements will likely be less extreme, likely 10% at most, vs the 25-30% those images show

It's very CPU intensive.

GPU intensive tasks gain from faster vram, CPU intensive tasks gain from faster system ram.

We'll just have to wait and see at this point. I saw my friend playing the beta, not sure why performance is so much worse than bf4 when it doesn't look that much better

> MUH COCKSPEED

Do you think you're the first to post that?

>We can only hope that Zen forces them to do something radical and aim high rather than pushing out the continual marginal improvements with no price reductions as they have for the past 6 years.
I'm sure AMD will deliver

I'm sure they will

because in the same space that a 8350 takes up, you can get 16 core 32 threads of amds zen cores

apparently they are doing a one size fits all for the 8 core where that is their base model, and they add more chips/whatever the technical name is for more cores, up to 32 cores.

This lets amd make a smaller chip, and have that chip scale to higher end hardware, while when a single thread is necessary, the cpu doesn't shit all over itself like current amd does when compared to intel, i mean what is it, amd is at 1500~ while intel is at 2600 single core?

the game has hands down the shittiest engine ever built for a modern game that isn't a 3 man indie team, then further bogged down buy relying heavily on nvidia render paths.

While we're all talking about CPUs, what's a good LGA1150 non K CPU I can get for under 200$?
I've got a G3260 at the moment and it's a bit of a bottleneck for a rx460 4gb

CMT uses smaller cores than SMT you dip.

Used 4770?

protip: he bought the cuck sku.

athlon 845 or 880k

and with amds cmt solution you slit single core performances throat

any single thread or poorly optimized multithreaded program benefits from faster cores then more cores, you have to strike a balance.

What's wrong with the 6500?

>2016
>ddr3
Lol nope

Just use moded BIOS...

The microde is in the cpu...

no it is not.

Pic related

Kys