When does Cred Forums think Apple was at its best? I think they were at there best when they made this beautiful thing

When does Cred Forums think Apple was at its best? I think they were at there best when they made this beautiful thing.

Other urls found in this thread:

statista.com/statistics/266136/global-market-share-held-by-smartphone-operating-systems/
statista.com/statistics/218089/global-market-share-of-windows-7/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

when the rmbp came out

2000 to 2011.
Pretty much they were at peak after MS saved them and then released the ipod and the colorful macs.
After Jobs's death its already tumbling down

I still have mine, and listen to it on occasions.

mfw i have 2 ipod classics

>tfw ipod 5gen
>too lazy go repair its battery, click button and install the SSD shit

You better keep those glorious pieces of technology safe.

PowerPC era
>tfw I lost my 7th gen Classic and have to settle for a 5th gen because fuck those prices

>made this beautiful thing
Because they discontinued it

>Because they discontinued it
No, but because it was a really good music player. I want Apple to bring it back but they would rather cuck the fuck out of us.

2 times,1980-1991 & 2000-2012

Because they thought that as long as they kept pumping pretty ads people would buy their gold spray painted turds.

I mean it worked for a long time but you can only do it for so long until people start slowly realizing they are being cucked to death.

Now they are plummeting down to 10% marketshare in mobile, desktop is already below 10% and will soon become another windows phone/symbian relic of technology.

statista.com/statistics/266136/global-market-share-held-by-smartphone-operating-systems/
statista.com/statistics/218089/global-market-share-of-windows-7/

I had an iPod classic. First one I got was the mini though. I liked that thing.

Apple was never good.

Just pre- or maybe slightly post-iPhone when they still gave a fuck about their computers.

0/10

>when they still gave a fuck about their computers.

1) Their beginnings - they've made a PC for every home, with heart and soul behind their creations. Sure, Steve was a dick, but Woz's creations made up for it.

2) The age of the iPhone 1. I know the iPhone was shit with features compared to other phones, but at least they've made Google, Microsoft and Palm innovate more.

When they announced their move to Intel, they could have said "Listen up bitches, not only can you purchase our stuff, but you can build your own PC and install our OS on it!", they would have made some great progress. But no... They've switched to mobile and they locked down their shit even more. Boo.

Still have mine, use it every day.

macbook is the logical evolution of powerBook
and the top 2 computers aren't even from this millennium

>tfw broken iPod Classic
Nowdays phones can handle 256GB and i have a power bank so i don't care much anymore though, but the day it broke i was so sad, i even brought another HDD for it to break again after 6 months

Just before Steve died

>he hasn't installed an SSD
iPod Classics can be upgraded to 1TB, if not more. Why would you care about your phone and its 256GB microSD card?

Because i don't wanna deal with the hassle of fixing this iPod for the third or fourth time. Great device doe.

>PowerPC era
This.
When Apple dared to challenge the WIntel hegemony there was actual competition. Once Apple switched to Intel, Intel started trickling out technology.

>10 minute upgrade is a hassle
Damn are you ever lazy.

Yep I have a 2011 macbook air and iPhone 4s that i still use everyday. They are proabably the last things Jobs worked on and are literally perfect.

Loved my iPod 4g 30gb video. It still works and its a music time capsule.

But my iPhone 6 is 64gigs and the audio output is far far superior. ipod sounds like mush.

well the 4g had a shitty dac.
5g was the last ipod gen with the best dac

When Steve was alive

I recently installed Rockbox on mine, but now I'm looking to replace the stock drive. I see the iFlash Tarkan and iFlash solo are some choices. Which should I consider? Is there another alternative I should consider?

Just go on eBay and search for mSATA to ZIF IDE adapter, you'll pay $5 instead of $40

THIS!

Those two devices were on point. Since then, it's just been a constant release of stupid ideas.

>kept 16gb standard on phones for several years
>iPad Mini
>base MacBook Airs still selling with 4gb and aren't upgradable
>mouse charing port doesn't allow you to use it at the same time
>Apple Pen sticks out begging to be broken off
>no headphone jack
>Pseudo professional iPad Pro

Tim Cook era Apple has been trolling ever since, seeing how far they can push these dumb ideas before enough consumers decide not to buy into them.

Got an iPod mini that needs a new battery and a storage upgrade. Any recommendations for either one or should I just go with any ebay battery and whatever SD to CF adapter I can find?

when Steve was there
not TIM COCK WHO LIKES ONE REPUBLIC

I'll probably do that instead since there seems to be no storage limit for what size I would want to use.

Is there anything specific I would have to do to have the adapter fit inside the ipod classic properly or is it self-explanatory?

I have a 160 classic, how hard is it do do the ssd mod and replace the battery?

It's self explanatory. You just put the SSD in the adapter and replace the HDD with it

I didn't read the instructions all the way down and broke my ribbon cable while openening the case. Don't be me.

Battery is easy, SSD depends in how old the iPod. There are few videos of a person doing it on YouTube... Druaga1 is the name if you care.

Okay. I didn't know if the adapter needed securing or not.

Thanks, man.

The era of the iPod was their best, most profitable, and most iconic moment in history. Everyone, even the technologically ignorant, knew about Apple. Like them or not, they were on top of the world.

A shiny, white 5th gen 80GB iPod is the only Apple product I own. It'll spend the rest of its life in my cabinet of obsolete shit as a relic to look back on.

Fuck Apple though. Obligatory disclaimer.

why? what's better than that ipod now?

As much as I want a dedicated music player, isn't it just better to stream music? Spotify's highest quality is pretty good for me.

>paying for additional data to stream music when you can just carry it on your person
Not to mention the other pros like physical controls made for the task at hand, superior battery life in general, listening to music having absolutely no effect on your phone's battery life, etc.

Having a music player like this benefits someone that already has a large local library, though it also helps someone that's working on their own local library as well. Not all music someone wants to listen to is available on streaming services and streaming music isn't perfect for everyone since it requires a stable internet wifi connection which is something not everyone has access to wherever they are. Even though it's okay in its own regard, some people don't want to, or can't, depend on stable internet for music.

Another to use a dedicated music player too is that the DACs are generally going to be better than the DACs provided in phones. That's not always the case and the differences in quality won't be black and white in every comparison, but it is a feature some people care about, especially more so if they have the earphones/headphones and the high quality files to justify that care.

PPC era. The powermac g3/g4 is still amazing looking.

I need to do the ssd mod on my 4th gen ipod. And maybe get a bigger battery, the shit one I bought from ifixit barely lasts 6 hours with rockbox.

Whats wrong with 5th gen? Slightly more moddable, and much easier to repair. Fuck 6th and 7th metal clips, I broke half the ipods I worked on that had these whereas my 5th has been running for 9 years and even soldered back the battery connector myself.

I like the 6th and 7th gens' aluminium body, looks and feels better

Don't do the ssd mod, it's unreliable and consumes too much power. If you don't mind waiting for bigger capacities or are rich you can get 1TB consisting of 4 256GB microsd cards in an adapter. Yes, there's one with 4 slots now. Or 2 512GB standard sd cards if you wish.

>expensive
>shit space
>lower quality audio and video compared to players half the price or cheaper

but most people would think twice if you had something other than that so it's aight i guess

>expensive
Worth it for the best DAP on the market
>can be upgraded to 1TB if not more
>shit space
Yeah okay buddy

>expensive
>comes with shit space
>have to upgrade

>expensive
Buy one with a broken HDD, you won't be needing it anyway. I bought a 30GB 5th gen Classic and upgraded it to 120GB for under $80. Hell with SSD prices where they're at now I could buy a broken Classic and upgrade it to 240GB for ~$90 total
>comes with shit space
Oh wah
>have to upgrade
Boo hoo you need to spend 10 minutes swapping an HDD for an SSD? How ever will you live!?

>iPod
>requires iTunes to "sync" music
>best

I bet you also think cancer is great

>implying there aren't other programs to sync with stock firmware
>implying Rockbox isn't a thing
I bet you also think you're not retarded

I meant when it first released you retard

why would i buy a music player? they're worthless.

>I meant when it first released you retard
$250 for the best DAP physically and 160GB storage in your pocket in 2009 was expensive? Sounds like you're just poor.
>why would i buy a music player?
To listen to music?
>they're worthless
Well I guess if you're deaf or something

I loved and still love the older iPod Touches.

We've gone backwards since then.

Foobar and Musicbee work perfectly with them.

The Zune HD was better and cheaper. And why buy a music player if I can listen to music at home?

>touchscreen
>better
top kek
>And why buy a music player if I can listen to music at home?
Because some people actually leave their fucking houses?

Also
>only 64GB max

With the multiple slots, would I be able to just add space as I need per slot over time it or do I need to add it all one time?

listening to music when you're not home is autistic.

>says the autist that never leaves his home

Apple ][+

Revolutionary and trend setting

Whenever the 3rd gen shuffle came out.
Still rocking mine and it's still great!

Apple died with Steve Jobs, some of the shit Apple is selling these days would've never passed before

1997 - 2011 basically when Steve returned to apple to dig it out of the shithole it was in.

Cred Forums was just as bitchy about apple when jobs was alive as it is now. your sentiment just sounds like hipster garbage about how things used to be better in the past. you probably think apple was best before it was mainstream, and the thinkpad declined after IBM sold it.

I've been wanting to get a retro mac recently. System 7 Era and before. Partly nostalgia for my first computer, part brought on by the old tech threads we have around here.

Ive never seen even one when going through flea markets and goodwills etc.

Any good source for this?

When they released the first 64-bit G5

Gorgeous machine, ushered in the end of Intels (ahem) grip on x86 with help of Athlon 64 on the otherside.

I miss those head phone dude. :/

I remember a lot of Cred Forums was nostalgic for the pre-Jobs days up until about 2 years ago, when suddenly it became acceptable to be nostalgic for Jobs. Just like how xx30 Thinkpads are acceptable now.

As for when Apple was at their height, obviously the 2000-2012 period, if we are talking about the company. In terms of products, then basically everything when Jobs was not in the picture. My Power Mac 7500 still works perfectly almost 21 years after my parents bought it in 1995, but for some reason our G5 iMac could barely survive 7 years before the GPU went tits up. The general cosensus onthe internet seems to be that the older Apple products have very, very few problems, but there always seems to be consistent and pervasive issues with just about everything made after 1998.

apple started degrading after the first macbook air.

1st gen was new and exciting but it brought anorexia along with it and apple started obsessing over making their shit thinner than a pubic hair

All they have to do is release an updated MBP with an upgradable HD and Nvidia graphics and they'll be at their best again

The 5g iPod has a better DAC and also sounds better than most phones.

I found a Power Mac G4 at Goodwill the other day. It's all about luck really, I've already picked up a brand new GBC and other vidya swag at Goodwill by being persistent.

When they stopped making this baby. I'm still happily using mine, upping the ram to 32gb at the moment and looking for a 2nd gfx.

As soon as Apple started to just shill the iPhone crowd and do away with the pro stuff. Mbp not included since that's just a mediocre laptop.

I pulled a beige G3 desktop from the curb after one of my neighbors threw it out.

My girlfriend told me her office was throwing out a bunch of old Macs, and I ended up with a Quicksilver G4.

Luck plays a huge factor

Mfw my iPod classic stopped working a month after they stopped making them

So fix it

My nigga. I've been using mine for years and I love it. I have plans to upgrade the processor and add a second SSD for Windows this winter.

Would this speed it up as well? Or is it just a capacity thing?

Anyone.
Is interface a large bottleneck on speed?

Capacity and battery life. Speed isn't a huge concern for music players.

Thinking of replacing the battery on 4g ipod, but cheapest reputable replacement is 35 CAD shipped. Worth it, or would a chink player be a better value for money? Already did the CF mod, too.

Chinkpod will likely sound worse and is almost guaranteed to have a terrible interface. Get a better battery instead.

>Implying even a not gimped P4 could outclass a fucking G5

The post-Jobs-pre-Jobs days of Apple were fucking awful though. I'm a life-long macfag but 90s Apple was worse than they are now.

>liking the SCRATCHMASTER 4g
fucking piece of shit

this
>Eat up Martha

I liked their old multicoloured laptops and desktops. It would be nice to have an anniversary edition macbook or something.

This

I have a MBP late 2011. i7 CPU AMD GPU DVD drive Still running good except i cant get it to update though.

iPod Classics

2010-2011 GOAT.

>iPhone 4 with cool Leica design and highres display
>Surprisingly cheap macbook air introduced with ssd, competitive with 3" thickness laptops
>Apple TVs are in the works
>Apple is finally great again

Then, whatshisname dies, and we enter the fagtron era of dumb ideas, no advancement, and going back to price gouging on essentials.

They were overall pretty good before Steve died. Obviously some ideas were better than others, but overall things were going pretty smoothly

I liked Apple the most during the Windows Vista era, mostly because that's the only time I can really think of where I'd say Mac was better than PC. Since Steve died they've lost all quality control and have gone way downhill.

Saamme. Best part is I got my 160GB classic for $50

I found this its 160gs
But i have an s7 so whats the loint of it

Didn't they sort-of try that with the iPhone 5C? It blew up in their faces since colorful plastic tech is now seen as cheap.

I have that bono edition ipod classic. Shit is so cash. Could watch movies on it. Got me through highschool..

Pretty sure my mobo just had a heart attack and died. Was in the process of DDU to uninstall old driver when it shutdown in the middle. Tried turning on, it wouldn't post. Took I apart, reseated everything, swapped RAM slots, reset CMOS, still wouldn't turn post. Tried another gpu, same thing. My PSU is a HQ platinum variant from corsair, the mobo is a cheap second hand I got a year ago. I have a 3570k and 16 GB RAM.

What other option should I try before replacing the mobo?

give it to me

Why

1 april of 1976 was their worst.
before 1 april of 1976, it was the best.

mean to reply to op

cause I'd like to have it and you have no use for it. pls user

>i have an s7 so whats the loint of it
Device made for the task, free of touchscreen cancer
Capable of higher storage capacities than your phone
Better battery than your phone
Listening to music doesn't kill your phone's battery

I still have my 3rd generation Touch. Biggest hit was Apple removing the built-in YouTube app, but it's still going strong.

I always hear about how awesome these things are once you swap out the HDD with some solid state flash storage and flash rockbox onto them. I think I'll keep my eye out for one so that I can mod it.

What is the maximum storage it can take?

Replaced my iPhone 4 last year
Still use my macbook 2011 and don't see myself replacing it anytime soon

I have one but im on linux what do

I use my ipod almost daily since 2007. I drop it all the time but it somehow still chugs along fine. A few years ago I installed rockbox on it so I could be free from itune's restrictive bullshit, and just last year I finally replaced the aging factory battery that could barely last 2 hours anymore.

You didn't upgrade to an SSD while you had it cracked open?

The HDD still works well although it it is a little slow by the standards i'm spoiled by in todays world. I ended up talking to a man who seemed knowledgable about audio tech and ipods and said alot of people he knew switched to the SSD's had them fail in but a short time, and that discouraged me from it.

The biggest mods I've seen on eBay are 512GB SSDs, but that may simply be easier to sell. It looks like there's evidence of 1TB mods online from way back.

Yeah, I looked into it, and there is a mSATA ssd adapter for them now, so there are people who put 1tb into them.

jesus fuck

The upgradeability alone is why iPods are my favorite

They still include them with the iPod Shuffles. Have to drop 50 bucks though.

Fiio X1 is objectively better in every way

Banshee seems to be alright at managing it. Too bad you don't have an older one or you could just put rockbox on it.

>mfw found a brand new ipod 5.5g at goodwill for $50 the other day
eat shit every1

Congratulations, you paid the average price. What's the next step in your master plan?

right looks more like bottom left than middle

It was all downhill after Steve Jobs died. It's the popular meme to say that but it was. Whether it was all him or not I don't know, but when he was gone it was shit.

Nowadays iPhone is a fashion product, back in the day iPhone, iPod etc not only looked good but was actually a quality product worth the price.

1980s to very early 90's. The IIGS was their best product, but the compact Macintosh line was comfy.

Literally this. I've always preferred Windows over OSX. More programs, cheaper, could actually play games.

But goddamn the things Apple has done since the death of Steve Jobs is fucking retarded. I do NOT understand so many of their design choices. In all fairness, I really think Steve would have killed the 3.5m jack as well.

I also think if would have had something better to show for it, not just "Here's a slightly better iPhone6S that we took the headphone jack off of!"

Also, the rMBP from 2009-2011 or so was sexy as fuck. It was my first and last Macbook. Unless in a month's time they refresh the mac mini and it's not a total piece of garbage, I can't ever see myself using OSX again.

(And on a side note, given the Windows 10 issues, I can't see myself ever moving above 8,1...I guess I've finally been forced into a situation where Linux will eventually be my ONLY OS.)

When this little beast was outperforming IBM computers.

As you need, it works in JBOD mode, maybe you'd need to format again. Nothing complicated. You can even mix different capacities and card speeds.

Steve was a dude that went "What if we did this? Let's try it."
The the current guy just says
"If it worked last year, it'll work this year"

where can i find an old ipod i can upgrade for cheap?

rummage sales, eBay, thrift and pawn shops

Ask your friends. Found one by asking in an IRC I frequent.

This is part of what made apple uncool

Every classroom had one of these things and it had no good games on it or any shit you could do when the teacher wasn't around

Give it to me Ill slap an SSD on the fucker and never stop using it until all the parts go fubar.