Why should I pick Linux over Windows 8.1? Windows XP?

Why should I pick Linux over Windows 8.1? Windows XP?

So many programs and classic games either require a fuckton of work to be compatible or just simply aren't compatible at all. Why bother with Linux?

Convince me Cred Forums

Most classic games require less work on linux+wine than on windows, if they work at all (not 8+). I recommend PlayOnLinux since they have a lot of automatic scripts that set up environments pre-tested to ensure things work.

XP is straight out because already vulnerable to everything ever, no access control, completely unsupported everywhere.

What "classic" Windows games aren't compatible with Wine?

Still though, what does it have OVER windows? Is it faster? I figure it's less bloated. What is the motivation for me to put in elbow grease to pick it over Windows?

its fast, secure, and the best part is that it doesn't fucking bug you

No support for the new gen CPU. Microsoft strongarms you into windows 10

Any self respecting Cred Forumsentoomen will not get cucked this hard

>imblying there aren't windows 10 disablers

come on, really? Cred Forums can't give one good fucking reason as to stick to linux instead of windows? it's like trying to ask Cred Forums to provide evidence that white people are the masterrace. you guys talk big shit but in the end there isn't a single reason to go with linux other than "cuz i liek it"?

>windows 10 disablers
Are aou fucking retarded? Did you even read Fucktard

FREEDOM

You don't have to install skeevy 3rd party or skeevy 1st party things. Everything's done by the community as a whole with project maintainers individually packaging and delivering all software to your doorstep.

If you have problems there will be fixes, probably already completed, because the ability to fix things is built in.

>all emulators work
>dosbox works
>most big ticket online games (CSGO, Dora)
>wine supports older win games before EA bought everyone and games died
>other big games are prime targets for WINE team to figure out
You're only missing out on garbage AAA trash marketed to tweens and idiots.

The "no games" argument should be "no bad games" which is a plus. It will save you from dropping $60 on shit.

You should pick whatever operating system fulfills your needs. Operating systems are tools, not platforms to spread your ideologies. :)

Really anything that doesn't use Directx10/11 or Japanese Directx(?????) magic runs on wine without issue, if there ARE issues.... they're discussed on winehq before you ever get there and generally have a walkthrough to get around the problem.

You should be careful that someone else's ideologies aren't gettin' all up in your needs without your say so.

nice collection of garbage
you're just mad af that your garbage dump PC can't run the good games.

>is it faster?
short answer is yes. You kinda need to be specific in what you mean by 'faster', but linux distros generally have much shorter boot times and system processes are way more efficient. Linuc doesn't have a ton of startup items hitting your memory. Less bloated depends on distro, but the kernel itself is a tiny fraction of the size of windows, and most distros don't take up more than 4GB.

Also people are always talking about how they don't want to put in the extra effort to instal linux, but in my experience, modern simple distros like mint are MUCH more "out of the box" than even Windows XP. I've never had any issues connecting hardware, drivers install automatically, everything just werks. Can't say the same for any version of windows I have ever used (especially 8/10).

The only reason I don't use linux 100% of the time is software support. In particular, the linux skype client is awful. (MS product. I wonder why) Trying to get everyone I know to use google hangouts instead of skype is a nightmare. I don't even like google hangouts anyway. I also use a windows install for a few games and for audio production software, but I've been thinking about installing OSX for that stuff instead honestly.

>don't want to instal linux because it's too much work or something
>needs to install extra software to prevent his OS from upgrading to the newest version automatically because it's so shitty

Linux users don't need to justify anything. The real question is why people are still clinging to Windows when all any of you do is use firefox to shitpost on Cred Forums

>XP is straight out because already vulnerable to everything ever
POSReady 2009

Fuck off. I don't give a shit what you do.

This guy speaks the truth. I'm too considering installing OS X just so I can get access to certain things not yet ported to Linux. I'll keep using Linux as a main OS. I'm probably never going back to windows.

Dont forget that steamos was a gaming dedicated lonix and failed hard, so saying that games run bettrr on winde is bull fucking shit

It failed hard because nobody wants an operating system that exists just to play games. That has nothing to do with wine compatibility and if you think it does you're either retarded or pretending to be.

This. If people wanted a gaming OS they'd get a console. There's no point in limiting your PC by installing steamOS.

>Why should I pick Linux over Windows 8.1? Windows XP?

This idea of "choosing one" is retarded. Your applications should dictate your OS, for without apps an OS is useless.

I run various nixes and Windows installs for various tasks. Cost is same since I don't pay for software.

VMs mean you can run all the OS you want.

Duel boot both boots

VMs are easier for learning. Dual boot is fine if you have some pre Core 2 Duo machine with no RAM.

Antergos