What's your favorite desktop environment, and what's wrong with it?

What's your favorite desktop environment, and what's wrong with it?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/LlrsMM1.jpg
aur.archlinux.org/packages/glib2-patched-thumbnailer/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

E17.

Lots of things

XFCE
shit defaults. Adwaita looks like garbage

TDE.
Nothing.

kde5
still buggy as fuck

and missing basic features and freaks out with more than 2 monitors.

MATE
It's deprecated and made in gtk2. But it is fast as fuck and it just works. I don't need fucking Unity

Which one is the least shit if all I need is what Windows 7 offers, on two monitors? I have low standards.

Fluxbox

MATE 1.16 made the gtk3 version stable I think

i3
Gotta take a buggy fork in order to have gaps.

Kill yourself lincuck

KDE5

Calendar and clock still isn't implemented yet, and I hate cashew with a passion.

lol, where the fuck do you think you are?

Gnome

Even the 5.8 LTS branch?

Thanks. Then there's nothing wrong with it

Technology board, Linux is also a piece of shit.

Unity. Not very customisable, certain things need a tweak.
Yes. No. You're just mad that Linux was literally made in a basement and it runs much better than windows which is behind an entire corporation holding 90% desktop market share :^).

>You're just mad that Linux was literally made in a basement
But that's wrong

it was made by many professionals for things like embedded devices and servers

...too bad they can't make a SINGLE good GUI...

GNOME 3.

Lack of customisability.

Am I the only one that finds cinnamon comfy as fuck?
The only thing I wish was different was if you could actually customize the start menu thing.

GNOME SUCKS TITTY DICKS

Linus Torvalds uses it. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

>too bad they can't make something *I* would like
Make it yourself then.
MATE is great
KDE is great
Gnome is great (on ZorinOS it can even mimic windows UI and looks even better)
Unity is great
Pantheon is great
It's literally a personal preference. That's like me saying "hurr windows UI sucks because the default wallpapers are ugly". Not to mention windows has more bloat and less functions.

KDE Plasma 5.X

It's buggy as shit and freaks out over nothing.

I'm on 5.7.4 now. It's pretty stable and great, but I really would like to interact with the calendar through the clock widget, and see appointments and shit there.

>Am I the only one that finds cinnamon comfy as fuck?
Well seeing as no one else is talking shit about it in this thread, apparently not.

Mate: the only remaining usable DE.

Anything wrong with xfce?

It's fucking ugly

>What's your favorite desktop environment
my own set of software
>what's wrong with it?
Nothing

Aqua
It's the little things -- for me it's mostly global menu and docks; customization is overrated

I like Open box the best, i like how it handles application window placement, i wished it had active desktop borders (edge knocking?) like xfce4 has, or gnome2 has, an app called brightside enables that feature, install brightside, run brightside-properties to set your preferences and brightside runs as a daemon.

LXDE

It would be really good if you could turn of antialiasing for the icons so you could have something similar to the vector icons used by IRIX.

>He doesn't understand his software choices enough to understand their limitations

yup, xfce is going south, gnome2 was great, gnome3 sucks, kde2 and kde3 was great, kde4 sucks, at least there is mate desktop and trinity desktop to keep a couple of classic desktops alive,

Awesome WM master race.

That is, my own DE. Stripped of all bloat.

I'm sorry, but Unity sucks. It's like they knew they couldn't possibly make a decent desktop, and so shot for making the shittiest one possible. Unfortunately Gnome exists, and therefore the Unity team even fails at failure.

None

Nothing

gnome3
everything's wrong with gnome3

Wm is not de

I missed this frog.

Also the stupid cube thing that linux had going in 2006ish.

I see you are using gnome

get the hell out, Wellick

I like gnome3 but nautilus is a featureless buggy piece of shit. Nemo's a decent replacement, though.

KDE

Difficult to find a legitimately good looking theme for it.

nemo is uglier tho

>basement.
i.imgur.com/LlrsMM1.jpg

>Awesome WM master race.
>Awesome WM
>WM

>posting a link to imgur
>conflating a picture of someone using linux with a depiction of linux being made
how do we get you tucked neatly into the oven where you belong?

2/10 made me reply

hm, i always used Xfce but since i reinstalled my OS, it works like shit. It is buggy, thunar just force close when i open folder which has lk 1k files. Stupid little things like that made me try something new. I installed Deepin, only thing bad about it is ram usage, everything else is ok.

Awesome WM of course.

Unity if you have a good resolution (otherwise it would take too much space)

Breeze Dark is nice.

Unity is great for beginners because you precisely can't break things down. It depends of your user case.

>What's your favorite desktop environment?
Unity

>what's wrong with it?
pretty bloated

Mate.

but user, it werks for me

Well I'll be damned!

Guess KDE is perfect then, nvm.

ZA DOM CПPEMHИ?

Amazing view tho

Join the MATE train. The only feature you lose really is the whisker menu. Mate menu is an okay substitute, not really perfect but I never ran commands from the whisker menu anyways. Gtk3 port is based too. It's pretty much THE de to be on right now. I used xfce for probably four years before switching to mate full time.

Currently using KDE full time on my desktop. It's fine but buggy. Particularly on arch, I just couldn't get it to work properly. Debian was also buggy. I literally switched to Manjaro just to try fucking KDE. It's pretty nice now that I discovered you can get a more functional application menu rather than that slow default one. I have two problems with it though.

1)if you have hide caption title bar plus enabled and your Taskbar is on the top, you can't drag and drop tabs to Firefox. It's weird frankly. I found somebody else opened a bug report on the add on, so I posted how to replicate it and I hope the Dev looks at it.

2) still a bit janky even on Manjaro.

It's pretty good otherwise, I never realized how comfy having thumbnails in a file picker can be.

Eh, I don't care for it.

Been using Arc Dark but that isn't great either, to me at least.

>not using i3

What do you mean by thumbnails in a file picker?

>What's your favorite desktop environment, and what's wrong with it?
Doesn't matter which one. They're all slow as shit compared to Microsofts

I mean just that - proper thumbnail support in the file picker. Firefox also has a QT port so that it uses dolphin natively.

>but GTK has thumbnails too!
True, but you're stuck in list view. It's really not all that useful when you can't resize the icons. It's probably the main reason I wanted to use KDE, even if I've switched to Hydrus Network for managing my images.

Only complaint is how low quality the thumbnails are

Oh, I thought that might be what it was. I wasn't sure if there was more too it than that, or just supporting a feature that Windows has had for years.

It's pretty nice. If you can look past all the rough edges on KDE, then it's an awesome desktop environment and combines a lot of features into one box.

Getting it stable though is a bit of a dice roll, but otherwise I'm pretty content with it.

There's a patch for that. It's in the AUR repos

I'd rather swallow a razorblade than try KDE5 ever again. Buggiest POS ever.

Becouse still on XORG.

1. Velox
Nothing.
2. Weston
Nothing, but I prefer tiling WM.

One of these?
aur.archlinux.org/packages/glib2-patched-thumbnailer/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/

I haven't tried the second one yet so perhaps I'll do that later.

Either way though, there aren't any GTK3 patches as far as I know, and considering that GTK3 is the standard, it is a tad frustrating.

I always feel that way yet I keep coming back. I WANT KDE5 to be good and that's what frustrates me so much.

XFCE
They're falling for the GTK3 meme.

Pixel

Xorg, because I'm a masochist.

>I can only have one desktop environment I didn't even get to choose because mine is either Mac or Windows because I'm a shillcuck and I'm also a recenthomosexual (newfa/g/)

>...too bad they can't make a SINGLE good GUI...
>they

Linux is for people make their own operating system. If you can't make your own with Linux's open source that's your own fault. Freedom as in freedom isn't free.

Just one of the reasons why gtk2 is superior

>DE

Xmonad, and nothing is wrong with it. It even works on Windows.

Herbstluftwm

>what's wrong with it
The floating mode is a little bit less developed than the tiling mode
It isn't bspwm

With a bit of programming experience I could make it completely perfect and everybody should use it. The window management is elder god tier.

GNOME 3
From a technical point of view it's an underdocumented piece of garbage but it is the thing that distributors can make work in their 5 minute configuration & packaging effort.

Scrotwm
nil

XFCE
>thunar could be a lot better
>multimonitor support is still very assy but that's more of a Xorg issue
>native hotkey support is only global and there's no application/window specific hotkey option

>2016
>still using Xorg and user-space graphics driver
Retard, such a retard...
Install Wayland and forget all of this shit.

> tfw can't install a DE because my I.Q. is 190
> tfw too smart to even use a WM

favorite
i3, it's not a DE, so what

wrong w/ it?
a touch buggy, screen refresh messes up sometimes but that might be the fault of x not i3

KDE

I heard gnome is supposed to be better but you know what they say, old habits they die hard.

Is emacs a DE?

No; it's an OS.

The creator of that image just forgot to add "work properly" at the end right?

XFCE

KDE

Kubuntu

Cinnamon

The Windows 7-style taskbar applet is buggy in a million ways and the creator of it doesn't fix these problems even though I've emailed him about it.

screen.

ioctl VT_GETSTATE: Inappropriate ioctl for device (not a linux console?)

This is beautiful.

It's both a DE and an OS.

kek, I laughed.

Is this the new desktop thread?

btw looked up that article and I knew and used all but UDE from it before

xfce

tearing

>Is this the new desktop thread?
Better say "hehehe mods kicked my cancer out everywhere else so my pedophile friends and myself are going make it a desktop thread, whether we're cancer to you or not"

bro i have 3 monitors and it works fine i even run kubuntu and i am not pro in using linux so no post install configuration what so ever i installed it 3 months ago and only crashs i had was when i used gparted (and only when i plug my fucked up old external hdd).

>KDE
>nothing, just enable full screen repaints (otherwise that's both painful and depressing)

OpenLOOK.
Inferior CDE replaced it.

This is beautiful. Themes, icons? Please share.

arc maybe

This. Been using it happily for a year

how in the fuck does this work

Don't care for DEs. Why have all that bloat when a window manager is all you need.

Openbox
Nothing is wrong with it

>calendar in Croatian
>still says September
Is KDE this inconsistent?