Coding

>coding
is the coding meme really about teaching people important skills for the future, or is it just so that people can feel like special snowflakes?

abstract thought

>ecosystem collapse
Mein friend, coding is the backbone of environmental modelling which helps us understand so called ecosystem collapse

This, but you have to teach more than one language for that, assuming we're talking about pre-university schools.
>inb4 but coding doesn't teach abstraction
Yes, but you can teach how no matter the language, an algorithm is still an algorithm.

Yes, in the future everyone will need to know how to code, even janitors. One won't be able to find a job at all if they don't know how to code.

The part of the population that doesn't know how to code will be put into boxes and disposed of.

I would argue that computational thinking can help achieve a better critical thought process.

It's a plot by large corporations to flood the market with noobs so the cost of labor goes down. Can't request a raise when you can be replaced within 24 hours. Unlike most other jobs, programming can't (yet) be automated. All under the guise of education.

If they really wanted to benefit society they'd just teach basic logic instead.

neither, it's to lower wages

Why do people think coding will save the world?
You can't fix global problems with computers unless they were initially caused by computers.

The real world is/will be programmable

This is why math is important. And logic. Why don't they teach logic in schools?

This. Coding will get so simplified in the future it will become like html. All they want is to not pay people with an important skill 80-140k.

Because people like being right, and logic cucks you out of that feeling of being right all the time.

>that's not a logical argument, you used "Argumentum ad populum" *tips*

Coding is the act of entering data into a computer such as typing unicode or ascii. Almost who uses a computer is also a coder.

>industry flooded with literal retards who know how to do hello world in javascript and nothing else

NEWS FLASH, you can't have an industry with zero skill and expect it to continue running.
All that will happen is that people with ACTUAL skills, (eg. people born before 2000) will become much more valuable.

I'd assume he's talking about first order logic, not the formation of logical arguments.

they could start with simple binary logic.

I've never understood the use for that.
And why is it considered a branch of math?
Why does this even require study? What good are truth tables?

Just teach logical and bitwise operators and you're fine.

Proofs

Personally i consider math to be a branch of logic.

The use of it is to teach people critical thinking and help them not draw invalid conclusions from their experiences of the world around them, which people without a basic education often tend to do, and then it's difficult to explain to them why they are wrong.

tl;dr people are stupid. logic helps people be less stupid.

*basic education in logic, even

>corporations benefit from a market flooded with shitty programmers that waste interview time, paychecks, and project hours

I've helped do tech recruiting for devs. I absolutely guarantee the vast majority of US companies do not want more bullshit artists who can't Fizzbuzz. An incompetent programmer hurts projects and businesses in a lot of different ways.

The ruling elite is not interested in the general population being capable of rational thought.

If you are hard working and have limited resources then coding is literally god tier for doing projects and getting stuff on your resume. Unlucky for me, Im lazy as shit.

Yeah, well the ruling "elite" are just as stupid as everyone else.