Broken G key

The 'G' key on my computer wasn't working so I sent it in to be repaired. It costs 200$ + labor, these are the parts they replaced

Thoughts?

typical for mac desu

That's because they don't want to call them faots.

>2,2 GHz CPU
>16 GB Ram
Literally why?

Welcome to being shafted by Crapple.

I had to pay fucking $1000 to have all the internals of my 2014 rMBP replaced to after the battery management fucked up and stopped charging the battery. It all has to be replaced because its either all soldered or all glued together and no individual part can be serviced.

Why would you do that
Literally, just grab the hard drive and buy a new laptop

Well I got off easy with just the basic service charge. If they had charged me 1000$ I would have bought a new laptop and never gone back to Apple

All of those parts cost about that though

Time to go to 8ch /tech/ then

You can rest assured AppleĀ® will use the part number to track down the child in China that assembled a faulty key in your AppleĀ® device and make sure this doesn't happen ever again.

You could buy a decent PC for half that money.

>Apple "Care"

They replace close to failing critical components so you're not sending it back later.

Well isn't that nice of them.

I thought Macs lasted 9 million years and never crashed and we're malware free.

I've been considering getting something apple just to educate myself. I like the way the laptops looks but they are so expensive.

>Wants to educate himself
>Thinking of buying a computer for people who don't know how to use a computer.

pretty much this. they're not trained to identify the problem and surgically fix it; they're trained to metaphorically nuke the problem. this way they can guarantee that nothing will go wrong with your device for some period of time after they give it back to you.

they charge a premium and do this overkill work because they're not catering to neckbeards; they're catering to your grandmother and her easily angered bridge partners. the sort of people who wouldn't give a fuck if the source of a secondary problem was unrelated to the G key being broken, because as far as they're concerned they did their duty by bringing the laptop in the first time.

the mental model that non-savvy users have is like that of bringing a car in to a mechanic. if you brought it in to be serviced, you assume that they do things like ensure that the oil isn't overdue for a change, that the tires are in good shape, etc... so if your car starts flashing its check engine light a week after you get it back from the shop, you bring it back upset. maybe that's wrong; maybe they should just ignore if your tires are bald and assume that you're a responsible adult who will take it to a tire center. but that's the norm.

that's harder to assess with technology whether the logic board or whatever else is on its way out, so rather than waste man-hours diagnosing this shit, they just replace it. ship all these logic boards back to china (or to any place off-site) to run tests and install them into other machines, and sell those machines as refurbished for 20% less. they still make an obscene profit, and your experience as a consumer is relatively good compared to other brands.

>getting something apple just to educate myself.
i have a rMBP and this makes no sense to me. educate yourself on what?

it's a computer. it's all bog standard hardware. OS X is just a *nix environment. if you want to know what that's generally like, go install a linux distro. that'll get you in the ballpark.

I've been using Linux and Windows my whole life I'd like to at least experience option 3 so I don't rely on memes.

here
build a hackintosh. i have one to drive a pair of 4k monitors and it's pretty painless to get up and running if your components are listed as compatible on that tonymacx86 site (and buying a CPU, RAM, and motherboard that are known to work (bringing your own case, PSU, hard drive, etc...) shouldn't cost more than $300).

if you don't like it, you can wipe the drive and install something else. if you do, then you have the option to upgrade over time.

So in other words, only the incompetent get Apple.