Arch linux

Why Does most people use arch on this board?

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/
gist.github.com/yevgenko/1167205)
github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh).
isunshare.com/windows-7-password/bypass-windows-7-logon-screen-and-admin-password.html
kernel.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because it's not a bloated mess

because it just werks

my love is pure
no need for reasons

Natural sympatico with fat man / micropenis logo.

Because they don't have a job and/or social life.

I'm using it btw and I have both :^)

Throw away your meme with architect.

Why Arch
========================

>rolling release
Everything is fresh and when I read some news about new kernel it is on my machine within few weeks. When theres new version of whatever application, its extremely fast in repos.

>AUR
The huge community driven repository that arch has - aur.archlinux.org/packages/
It feels like what was promised when I switched to linux, but has not been delivered in other distros. When I read about something, I can find it on AUR, when I see someone mention a new project, theres very likely a git package on AUR of it. It's incredible and makes arch feel much more comfortable than dicking around with google and PPA on buntu distros and such.

>ease of customizability
Of course you can play with any distro and switch stuff around, but arch is build from the ground up and maintained in the spirit that you get to choose your combination of packages, and if you want i3 on top of KDE with custom kernel running, it is absolutely prepared to guide you and deliver that.

>the community
When I was choosing distros and was hopping around my most important requirement was that it has to have larger active community to have somewhere to turn for news and help, and feel like project is moving and living. Arch community goes beyond this. Its incredibly vibrant. Even some programs I use like Deadbeef or Bomi seems to originate on arch forums.

>clean packages
I dislike modified packages that you sometimes get in other distros, some can be of interest, like opensuse firefox-KDE has better file picker dialog(btw its on AUR). But generally I really like having packages to be vanilla without modifications. You know what you are getting and wont get some surprises, making you wonder why something is different.

>using it provides knowledge
I've been on linux almost a year, on arch 6 months, I feel that if I would stay on mint/opensuse that I was on first part of my linux experience, I would learn a lot less. Maybe this knowledge is virtue out of necessity, but in the end it still knowledge.

Because they haven't discovered Gentoo
Portage > Pacman

gentoo is nice, but binaries are nicer on my POS thinkpad

install gentoo

Because it makes us feel like 1337 H4Ck3R5

I think people use it because its fast and convenient. It tries to make everything available and to be minimal/efficient where it can.

I don't use it because avoiding non-free software is the primary reason I use GNU/Linux. Arch doesn't give a shit about installing and using proprietary parts. It's like Windows in that regard.

I also don't like idea of extremely up-to-date packages, along with the AUR where any user can upload anything with relative ease. It feels inherently insecure.

easier to install than gentoo and doesn't have compilations

So I use/used arch because it's pretty stable. The only timesink was installing it the first time. Otherwise, nothing for me has EVER broken (except Broadcom because fuck Broadcom.) I used Debian for a few weeks, and my experience with it was less than satisfactory. Testing has a surprising amount of packages missing "just cuz" rather than leaving an older version in that used the same dependencies. Eventually I got tired of playing the game and went to unstable. And yet I STILL had problems with packages just flat out not having a candidate. I was also filling my system with ppas and while I certainly run a few for my Arch system, I got tired of it. Once I was fucking with apt pinning, I asked myself "is how much I love the Debian logo worth this pain and suffering?" I said no and installed arch. I like having access to all packages. Pacman is good. I haven't had to play the dependency game at all in the official repos. And everything I need is almost always in the AUR, keeping me up to date and making it easier than building and installing it manually. I like it.

And it's just been so fucking stable. I came from Ubuntu mate my first time. I did so because I wanted to try the meme distro and needed to reinstall something anyways because SURPRISE a dist upgrade was giving me annoying errors I couldn't get rid of again. And I fucking love it. After initial configs, there's no bullshit. It does what you tell it to (although not on a gentoo scale)

ALSO, even if the community is stuck up, for a community to come together and construct a lot of the arch wiki which is pretty much the number one Linux documentation on the Internet, it says a lot. Sure they are autistic, but a fair amount still try to be helpful.

It isn't the best OS for everyone. But it works for me, and frankly that's all that matters.

Been using Manjaro lately though since I nuked my old install due to a complex xorg. It's OKAY. Updates only about once a week is kinda weird

AUR

>most people
It's just the samefags that shitpost on every linux general thread.

Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, even the ubuntu flavors like xubuntu or lubuntu are better that that shit.

Most people on Cred Forums use Either Ubuntu and Arch.

Fedora is almost non-existent and debian is a meme that only a few vocal SJWs use.

>SJW

This meme again.
Do you really think SJW that browse tumblr all day waste their time installing debian?
Pretty much every user on the server generals have a debian machine and none of them are SJW, stop being retarded.

It's not like Debian is difficult to install. I agree with you though. They'd use OSX.
They cater to the coder grrrl types though.

Hey anons, i've used ubuntu like for 4 years and now i want to learn more about linux but also i want to learn about securtity so, should i install kali or arch?
>inb4 edgy teen trying to be hacker
im studying computer engineer and i really want to learn about securtity

Binaries and minimal bullshit.

Arch Wiki is great to get info from.

Can find nearly anything packaged, if not officially, then on AUR, or on a different repo (BBQlinux, ArchStrike, etc.)

More control over install vs *buntu/Debian derivatives.

it doesn't have the stupid bloat and retard decisions like debian or tips fedora has

because i look like a hacker

You're looking for OpenBSD. Less cluttered than Linux, has the security bit you keep mentioning.

tfw sjw

>AUR
botnet.

>except Broadcom because fuck Broadcom
fuck nvidia too. They blacklisted my graphics card from its listed driver for a year before correcting the issue.

Kali Linux is basically Debian with security packages, right? Then go for Kali Linux or Black Arch

Because malware doesn't work on it.
What application you use to make these comfy?

ur mum is a botnet

Yea? Well yours is more like a trojan on account of all the men that was in her.

urxvt with a solarized theme (gist.github.com/yevgenko/1167205) and zsh with syntax highlighting and autocompletion.

That's cool.

>Linux
>Security
KEK

They asked about Kali Linux or Arch, so I guess they were talking about pentesting and offensive security.

Otherwise there are plenty of ressources online, and their distro doesn't matter; for what I have achieved with that, I find Arch (on my ThinkPad and with KDE) pretty comfy.

I meant the gif.
But this IS comfy, thanks.

>Windows
>Security
Premium KEK

how to do that for Windows 7?

oh...

Sorry for the mistake. I forgot to say I use oh-my-zsh with jtriley theme (github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh).

zsh autocompletion and oh-my-zsh (as well as urxvt) may be installed through AUR (though you'd need to source a script in your .zshrc).

Sorry for the mistake. I forgot to say I use oh-my-zsh with jtriley theme (github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh).

zsh autocompletion and oh-my-zsh (as well as urxvt) may be installed through AUR (though you'd need to source a script in your .zshrc).

Here isunshare.com/windows-7-password/bypass-windows-7-logon-screen-and-admin-password.html

SAVAGE

My personal reason for using arch:

It's the easiest distro to set up that's "lean."
Lean in the sense of - not the meme - being stripped down and fast. No fancy graphics initially, no shit you necessarily have to rip out to get better performance. (Gentoo aside, but anyways)

I typically use manjaro to install it since I'd rather not go through the steps / create a script to install for me. I have a shit ton of computers I love messing around with, and Arch is what I use when I need a basic Linux to work with for small things like data recovery and such
I write down a list of what I need to download, pacman that shit, and go, and it only takes about half an hour to get things up and running.

I'd have to workaround stuff like Mint, Ubutnu, and other such things -- Gentoo would take varying amounts of time to compile everything I'd need to use. I've done it before, it's not fun on shitty hardware, not in the slightest.

Arch is easy. Easier than "noob" distros. But it's also fairly modular and 'base.'

>arch
>covnenient

truly hilarious

They can't install Gentoo musl GNU/Linux.

Because I actually got used to it. Also having all those packages from AUR.

I use arch because I like to run a windows vm on a remote computer and use vnc to connect to it so it looks like i'm running windows on another remote device.

then i install cygwin just for good measure

I cant seem to get it to fucking install. I was going to set it up at work for a server and then install the strike packages but every time I tried to install it gave be dumb ass errors.

I gave up and installed mint.

Suits my needs and is fun to tinker with on my spare time.

Isn't Mint known for having vulnerabilities? Wouldn't this be a problem for a server at work?

not bloat as ubuntu / suse / fedora / ...
not tedious as gentoo
AUR decent enough
steam works out of the box

I think all that was patched already.

anyway, after I finish installing packages and making sure that all the stuff needed for work is on there the internet cord will be pulled.

its not ment for web use, just data recoverys, using gparted, etc. basily all the stuff on brd, ubd, parted magic, etc.

>it doesn't have the stupid bloat and retard decisions like debian or tips fedora has
>Because it's not a bloated mess
Even a bootstrapped Ubuntu is smaller than bootstrapped Arch.

Boring office stuff like spread sheets: Red Hat, CentOS
Noobs general: Ubuntu
Entry-level coding: Debian
Reale serious coding, top-end server stuff and hardcore hacking: Arch

If that's for an intranet it's ok then.

i suspect that's because apt's policy to split package by dev and non-dev while in arch it isn't

>samefagging

I use Manjaro, AKA Arch for people with functional lives.

yep, but if I do need an outside connection the hardline is secure via physical firewalls.

I'm not too worried.

I use ache because it is the only os that can be updated at any time on a regular basis to make sure everything system wide is up to date and secure, hence arch inventing the term rolling release. I also like the non toxic community and i love how you can install it without the internet and once its installed it doesnt need anymore maintenance at all.

HA!

What is Slackware?

There are two idiots in this thread now

>What is satire?

8/10

Well these people are toxic in this context, so I don't give a shit of their satire.

this fucking this
Also, about the AUR, no other distro has in their repos the tools I daily use (very specific field), and they're a pain in the ass to build them manually, it generally takes me the whole day on other distros vs. about ten minutes under Arch to update everything.

Wow did it fly over you head with the jetfighters?
Also pic related.

>darkstar.example.net
kek, that's a nice example screenshot you've got here.

How do you resolve the dependency hell?

Why not Gentoo then? I installed it on my thinkpad and it runs great!

I'm thinking of trying out Arch, any differences?

What?

sbopkg and slapt-get. i only use slackpkg to update.

no compilation
no package use and mask
no overrated control over your own system

About differences:
>AUR has more packages and scripts
>you need to build everything from source with Gentoo, thus you need to have some RAM I guess (my first emerge --ask @world --deep took say 3 hours with my previous i7 8GB computer)
>Gentoo wiki is made by Gentoo core devs and known members. Archlinux wiki is made by Openstreetmap contributors (that's a gross scheme, you get the idea)

>rolling release
I come from the land of Gentoo and I find rolling release distros natural.

>no compiling
I come from the land of Gentoo (have I mentioned this?). Most of the time compiling the packages wasn't an issue, but there were some that took hours. Literally. Firefox, Libreoffice and Webkit being the worst offenders.

>documentation
I may not have mentioned this before, but I used to run Gentoo. The point is more often than not whenever I tried to find documentation on how to configure stuff properly it was on ArchWiki.

>just (sort-of) works
I use a laptop with nvidia optimus. This means I dare not enable graphical login as it may break every time I do an update. Every login is a combination of startx and fsck nvidia. Other than that it's peachy.

>no splitting everything into two packages
>multilib support out of the box

That's why.

newfag here.. I installed Gentoo but I always keep having trouble with the USE flags. any recommendations?

These are the exact guys why I use Gentoo. Also I don't like archeschoolkids and their arrogancy.

Dont use them i guess.

What?

My mistake, it took 3 hours in a 4GB VM.

Well i dont use gentoo but i use slackware.
When i used 14.1 it didnt have pulse audio.
So, if i was compiling ffmpeg, i would strip out pulse audio support to lessen the compile time despite the fact i didnt need to. Now 14.2 does use pulse audio so i dont strip out the support.
Id imagine that you wouldnt have to use the use flags unless it explicitly states to do for some reason.

Yes, but how would one know which USE flags are required? Should we write them all by hand in the configuration file?

Like i said i use slackware.
When i compile from the repository it states what options you have. I gave you one example.
Im sure you should not need use flags at all unless you have a certain requirement. Try compiling (emerge ?) without useflags. Maybe a gentoo user can help me here.
You could read up on some documentation a little more. You should before using gentoo. I wish i could help more.
Why dont you try slackware instead?

>why don't you try slackware instead?
I tried to install Gentoo 2 years ago and I don't want to give up. If I ever consider I'll have had sufficient understanding of Gentoo, and that Slackware could bring me more knowledge, then I'll install Slackware.

I've read the Gentoo handbook, but I haven't be so far as "Working with Gentoo"/"Working with Portage". Also the Gentoo handbook triggers me a bit.

Most Linux people use Ubuntu, not Arch, all the recent surveys showed this.

you're having trouble with USE flag maybe because you set your Global USE with something that not generally needed in all of your package? they often cause trouble.

my suggestion avoid peculiar use flag in global use flag, just dump something general like X or your desktop of choice or sound archi. set your particular use flag in their respective package.use.

Personally i think you should install slackware first because of its simplicity, and when i mean simplicity i mean gaining knowledge in using personalized scripts to install software with your own custom options instead of relying on package managers. When you get this you will probably not even bother with gentoo. (Probably).
You still get that ever so needed "streetcred" but the install is not a time restraint.
At the end of the day you want to use an advanced user os but you dont seem to have the basic knowledge nailed down yet. Maybe you should start by knowing the concept of useflags first.

>no package use and mask
why is this a good thing?

ubuntu is the windows of linux

I recon mint is but i applaud them for it.
As a slackware user i think ubuntu is the best thing to happen to linux. Ever.

the arch delux is pretty good. i mean the bread is nicer than your normal mickey D's burger bread. i mean its no hawian roll bread i eats that stuffs all dey but its good bread

I don't give a shit about streetcred, I just want to have a reasonable knowledge on Linux computers. So I'll probably keep focused on Gentoo because I started with that, then eventually go with Slackware (or move to OpenBSD).

Again, how you, Cred Forums, or tech illiterates consider my technical knowledge has no importance to me.

I'm sad that though Slackware community has probably privileged technical accurracy over affinities for long, this exact reputation seems to have made it an idiots honeypot now.

no systemd

>implying i said it's good
maybe because you don't care about how your package was compiled?

>as a slackware user
stop acting like a special snowflake, this has no importance in what you're saying atm

Dont cut yourself on that edge you have there.
Your tongue speaks in so many edges, but you cant seem to stop your neck from bearding all over the place.

Architect is not developed anymore, use Arch-Anywhere.

If you want knowledge i linux than use slackware because you learn linux and not a particular distribution mate.

You can compile vanilla Linux on any distribution

I'm afraid there was a misunderstood, I was willing to take technical advices, but I don't want you to tell me how I should behave.

Gentoo users were willing to help, but they're gone because they have better communities on IRC and social networks (Twitter, Freenet, etc.) than you derailing this thread.

What do you consider vanilla? LFS?, Then yes.
Ive done it twice with slackware.
Thats if you mean linux kernel with a userland.
If the kernel by its self, well yes to that too.
Otherwise im not sure what youre on about.

Linux:
kernel.org/

Umm.. ok then i didnt mean to offend you in any way.
There are no gentoo users here that know their os inside and out and i just thought you listened to them and went out on a limb to be like them. Sorry dude.

>and debian is a meme that only a few vocal SJWs use.

Tard alert

Answered.

Okay, well I do. Go fuck yourself.
Just don't come crying when your clipboard doesn't work with vim.

it just werqz

because using PPAs for packages not in the official repos SUCKS.
disregarding all the stuff about bloat etc.. the core system, and its maintenance are its strentghs. i.e.: pacman and aur. pacman is extremely concise and easy to use, compared to apt-shit.
rolling release is a nice bonus.

ppa is a fucking amateuristic bullshit, badly organized for all ppas except the most common software.
finding them alone is such a pain in the ass i uninstall debian-based within a few days.

I'm sorry, that's a mutual mistake.

I've been planning to install Gentoo for 2 years, I don't even envisage it as my "definitive" OS, just as a step for a better understanding of computers.

Sorry, I thought the second paragraph wasn't what I meant as well (I was late when writing this).

kys