Why is Valve's Source Engine so CPU intensive compared to other engines...

Why is Valve's Source Engine so CPU intensive compared to other engines? Was it because good CPUs where much more common than good GPUs at the time when they were developing the engine?

>inb4 Most of Cred Forums don't know what a cpu is.

I'd rather pay for a good cpu than gpu

Because of 360 and PS3. Most engines were made and designed to run well on these consoles and not PCs with dedicated GPUs.

Are you retarded?

It's because Source itself is based on the original idTech2 engine, and Quake's engine itself is CPU intensive. If you were to make it more GPU intensive you'd need to rewrite the entire engine.

weird cus the doom engine (idtech 6) isnt cpu intensive even a dual core i3 will run it fine.

How is weird that an engine developed recently is better performing than one developed a long time ago?

someone said most valve games are 2 core optimized.

apparently source2 isn't

Isn't Source Engine limited to DirectX 9.0c and OpenGL 3.0?

dota 2 has vulkan support

>Most of Cred Forums don't know what a cpu is.
What a great argument to discuss Cred Forums trash

ya well maybe they should change the name of the engine then.

Source engine is pretty dated. It's 12 years old. Though it received constant updated.

But that's source 2

baka

I though it was based on Havok ?

Havok is just physics user.

Fuck off Cred Forums, we don't like you, the trash you want to "discuss" or your posting style

>we
>you
>your

Why are you humanizing boards? This isn't some hivemind where everyone acts the exact same.

I really hope you're just baiting and not actually this hopelessly stupid.

It's CPU intensive for 2006, but today it's nothing.

My FX-8350 barely breaks 25% on any core during the most intense Garry's mod 12 year old screaming propspam battles.

>tfw you find someone running a homeserver
>spam thickest ropes you can make in the skybox

>fill bathtubs with DarkRP meth entities
>lags server
>13 year old admin screams at you and bans you

I guess I asked for it when I joined a DarkRP server.

A-Are ypu talkimg about....

VIDEOGAMES?
fuck off
U
C
K
OFF REEEEE
STOP RUINING MY BOARD
STOP RUINING MY PRECIOUS TECHNOLOGY BOARD
WITH VIDEO GAMES
NO
SORRY
GAYMES
GAMES ARE GAY SO GAYMES AHAHAHAHAH :)

YOU JUST GOT TOLD ;)
FUCK OFF

Phew, I'm so glad to be a productive member of this BOARD. I should be nominated janitor asap.

>Why is Valve's Source Engine so CPU intensive compared to other engines? Was it because good CPUs where much more common than good GPUs at the time when they were developing the engine?
You must be 18+ to post here.

>go into small room
>spam large props

works
every
time

>ugh im such a big faggot
>youre allowed to like what i like
>ugh disgusting games
>im a hugh mongous faggot
>please stop playing games and developing games and earning more than a fizzbuzz dev
>im such a shit tard
>go talk about GPUS in a VIDEOGAME board
Seriously you fucking faggots, this is how you look, and since when do fucking gpus (TECHNOLOGY) belong to a VIDEO GAME board?

It's not CPU intensive at all. It runs great even on ancient hardware.

Its not CPU intensive, it just feels that way because it isnt multithreaded. AFAIK it only runs 2 threads at a time, but even then, it uses pretty much only the first core. So all other cores never get used. Now, it is more intensive on the CPU than GPU, that's for sure. But not by a whole lot