Let's discuss calibrators / colorimeters / spectrophotometers

Let's discuss calibrators / colorimeters / spectrophotometers.
You *do* calibrate your displays, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

userbase.kde.org/Krita/Manual/ColorManagement#Viewing_conditions_and_White_Points
amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNSML-ColorMunki-Smile/dp/B009APMNB0/?th=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no, I have a life and I don't give a shit

I will one day but it isn't high on my priority list.

No, idon't.

Why the fuck should I care.

>I have a life
No you don't. You're just a retard who rationalizes his poorfaggotry with "I don't give a shit about technology" argument on a technology board.

Why the fuck would i calibrate a display that's not even 10 bit? What a waste of money.

So you can buy a color sensor and use your shekels to support our greatest ally.

No, I don't buy cheap shit displays, high end ones come with profiles.

I don't buy shit brands, so i don't have to calibrate anything.
That you buy the Yugo of monitors which needs extensive calibration out-of-the-box, tells me that you are retarded and that your thread is retarded.
Go back to

Calibrating a shitty display is pointless.

You need a color sensor, if you don't have one it can't be calibrated because ambient light isn't constant.

>I have no idea about color management / ICC workflow, the post.

>i buy shit products from shit brands, the post

I've got a Colormunki Display, I used DisplayCAL to calibrate my Asus 144Hz PG279Q monitor, it's 100% sRGB.

Out of the box the display had a cold color temperature, but still relatively accurate compared to most shit on the market.

Yes, I have a Spyder 4 Pro which I use on my Dell U2711s and my Cuckbook Pro.

I'm happy with the results, using argyll cms and dispcal (GUI). Don't do it very often though, maybe biannually.

Colorimeters are only useful if you're working in graphics and have to share stuff among a large group of artists. It ensures that what looks good on one monitor also looks good on another. If you're calibrating your monitor because you want to have a calibrated monitor, you're an OCD nutjob with too much time and money on your hands.

I had a really expensive Spyder (don't even remember which one) that I used to try and calibrate two of the same displays and I couldn't even get them to match. Returned that shit.

I'll get one when I get a better display, right now it's not a priority as much as I'd like to have a calibrated display for color sensitive work.

>is justify my retarded inability to spend money properly by using big boy words in an incorrect and arbitrary manner
What are you, 14? 15?
You aren't allowed on this site until you are 18 m8.
You should also consider getting psychological therapy.

>Colorimeters are only useful if you're working in graphics and have to share stuff among a large group of artists
It's not, there's quite a lot of displays with ridiculous color temps and gamma issues
>but I enjoy my 1.5 gamma!
kek
>ambient light isn't constant
Do you carry your desktop everywhere or something?
Every Spyder before the Spyder 4 is worthless without a spectro, the Spyder 1 and 2 are literally useless without it

A colorimeter is around 100 to 200 USD.

I dropped $800 USD on a monitor, what's another 100USD to ensure that I'm getting accurate colors out of it?

Also calibrating monitors tend to make it easier on your eyes, too many monitors are too blue in tone these days.

>muh high end monitor profile calibration is 100% accurate
>big boy words in an incorrect and arbitrary manner
userbase.kde.org/Krita/Manual/ColorManagement#Viewing_conditions_and_White_Points

>i think im right so you need psychological therapy

>If you want to make your multi-hundred dollar monitor look as good as it can, you're a nutjob

Okay buddy

>Every Spyder before the Spyder 4 is worthless without a spectro, the Spyder 1 and 2 are literally useless without it
Spyders are garbage. The best affordable colorimeters are the Colormunki Display and i1 display pro, it's also better to use DisplayCAL with both.

>muh link which serves no purpose in the argument other than to look impressive
>i'm still a retard who spends money on shit products and shit brands who has brain issues
>nothing has changed in the discussion
Welp.

>i think you buy shit products from shit brands therefore you have brain issues
>link which serves no purpose
please consider staying in this site reddit.com

>hipster monitor calibrating headcase telling someone to go to reddit
Ah the iron, it's too prevalent in this one's blood. Don't forget to cut yourself from time to time to get some of that iron out. The brain poisoning side-effect is getting apparent.

Massive amount of blue tint monitors and laptop screens is one downside of LED backlighting.

IIRC CCFL generally tends to allow for better colour gamut and reproduction

>high-end, $2K+ graphical monitors like Eizo CG or NEC have hardware calibration support or built-in colorimeters because they're shit.
OK.

At home? No
At work? Yes

>hipster monitor calibrating
you told me with that, keep being misinformed

I bought a ColorMunki.

But the calibration of my Dell U2711 ends with an error "cannot write LUT's" and then fucks up the colors.

After several attempts I got frustrated and stopped trying.

really want to get one so I can calibrate my monitor. graphic design fag

Just find the profiles online from someone who has already gone through the trouble and ``borrow'' them.

I just set my monitor to:

6500K white point
2.2 gamma
120 cd/m2 brightness

I'm not using any ICC profiles, I prefer to just set things correctly from the monitor. I don't do any professional work, I just consume multimedia. Using a ColorMunki Display with DisplayCAL.

Doesn't colorspaces like sRGB limit some colors? I don't need that.

It doesn't work that way, there is panel variance. For example two sites tested two monitors and have calibrated them with the OSD differently.

>Do you carry your desktop everywhere or something?
Nice try but ambient light isn't a constant so your opinions are invalidated as ignorant ramblings.

Nobody serious about color accuracy uses a display without a color sensor period.

Given that Fullscreen Exclusive games don't use my .icc profile no, I don't give a shit about calibration.

>blue tint
That's the case with approximately 95% of LED-backlit displays on the market which use blue LED and yellow phosphorus. Better ones use blue LED and green-red phosphorus, and professional monitors are GB-r (blue and green LED, red phosphorus) exclusively.

Isn't it just the choice of white balance?

Daylight balanced screens will look blue under home lighting, but perfectly fine under office lighting.

Play borderless windowed?

>Fullscreen Exclusive games don't use my .icc profile
Why are games so shit?

Why would I do that when a calibration unit costs more than my monitor itself?

You're right. Your monitor is so bad it probably can't be calibrated correctly anyway.

t. single monitor poorfag

I only got shitty ones so I don't bother
If/When I get to buying a good monitor I will

If you have to claim that you "have a life" you clearly don't

Anything good cheaper than this?
amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNSML-ColorMunki-Smile/dp/B009APMNB0/?th=1

>No, I don't buy cheap shit displays, high end ones come with profiles.
Backlights drift pretty quickly. Even the high end hardware calibrated screens show noticeable change in a month or two.

>Colorimeters
I sincerely home you mean spectrometer.
I haven't used a particularly accurate colorimeter yet (unless it was made for a single display, and is only used for that single display)

Get the ColorMunki Display.

Do not buy anything else. It's the best bang for buck and use DisplayCAL.

I'm not a professional, just looking for color confirmation.

>Isn't it just the choice of white balance?
No.
You have leakage in the color filters int he glass matrix, and if your backlight pumps out lots of light int he overlap regions, you get lowered saturation and weird color balance issues.
Eg, this screen ends up looking bluish/greenish because the red saturation is so low as a result of filter overlap and using a blue/yellow white LED. All that filter leakage in the yellow (where the LED is putting out most of its light) kills the color rendering.

I'm partially colour blind so it really would be wasted on me.

What is the Thinkpad of color accurate monitors? New ones are super expensive. Surely there must be some great old ones that you can get for cheap now?

Will it be able to perfectly match three or more monitors of the same model? To be honest, them looking the same is more important than being 100% colour accurate.

Yeah, just use DisplayCAL.

The ColorMunki Display's sensor is the same as the i1 Display Pro (it just measures slower).

With DisplayCAL, it's treated the same as the i1 Display Pro, so you get full functionality.

It's better than the Spyder5 (they all use the same unit) and the cheaper ColorMunki.