The end of an era: BlackBerry will no longer make its own phones

thenextweb.com/insider/2016/09/28/the-end-of-an-era-blackberry-will-no-longer-make-its-own-phones/

>BlackBerry Limited today confirmed that it will no longer create its own phones, instead choosing to rely on hardware partners like China’s TCL Corporation.

>In a statement, BlackBerry CEO John Chen said “The company plans to end all internal hardware development and will outsource that function to partners.”

>He added, “This allows us to reduce capital requirements and enhance return on invested capital.”

The news is hardly surprising. Since 2009, BlackBerry’s handset division has been in a terminal death-spiral, while devices running iOS and Android gained ground. Last year, Chen said that if the Canadian company was unable to reverse this downward trend, he would shut down any further hardware development.

>Going forward, any devices that carry the BlackBerry name will be rebadged Android phones from other manufacturers. Last year’s DTEK50 was essentially an Alcatel Idol 4, and the upcoming DTEK60 looks remarkably similar to the Alcatel Idol 4S.

Other urls found in this thread:

pld.cs.luc.edu/courses/ethics/sum16/mnotes/ntp.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QNX#cite_ref-12
qz.com/594817/blackberrys-end-to-end-security-didnt-do-el-chapo-any-favors/
android.com/work/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

F

F

may I cry on your shoulder OP?

F

F

They only did it for the sweet US government contracts. Now that they know they don't need it, time to lower production costs.

Nothing of value was lost

:(

So what will happen to this?

That's been dead for a long time sadly.

F

Chen should have been in charge 10 years ago.

it is amazing how much of a lead they had in the market and how they totally blew it.

>wired headphones

Thank shitty US patent laws.

>tfw I'm stuck with the Q10, Passport, and Classic
I've only got a Q10 right now, picking up a Passport in a few weeks and a Classic a bit after that then I'll be rotating phones based on whatever I feel like using that day

Damn, that's the one Android phone I'd actually consider getting

I really hope blackberry dies already
fucking terrible company rn desu

>3 years from now
>"Outsourced BlackBerry phones reported to have Chinese backdoor"

Why do you hate good things? I mean, they essentially are dead now but why would you want the only good phone manufacturer to be that way?

That's not news, they were already developing a rebranded alcatel with BB software

NTP shill detected.

There are no good phone manufacturers, it hasn't been 2012 for 4 years

There were, then BlackBerry died.

Blackberry 10 OS was the best phone operating systems I've ever used

Too bad the hardware was utter shit

That's not uncommon for a company to get comfortable and lose their market share - look at MS in the mobile market. Basically BTFO at this point

That sucks. Their last 2 phones with android look pretty good, but I think they've been out of the consumer's mind for so long that nobody noticed.

>There are no good phone manufacturers

How do you define good? I see no big issues with current phones.

Portrait keyboard is definitely a requirement

My z10 took shittons of abuse and kept on going. Build quality was amazing. CPU wasn't great, but it still got the job done.
...too bad there were no fucking apps on BBOS, and most android ones were buggy or didn't work at all.

The passport silver edition is the best phone I've ever used.

Really sad about this.

Hope they still update BBOS10 for a few more years.

Will there Android blackberry phone drop in price? Might be a nice little shit posting device.

Former RIM employee here. There were talks about releasing BB10's source code, though I don't know if the company's still going for it.

F

Christ that'd be fucking amazing. How would it work since they still use QNX for other shit though?

Reminder that this is a direct result of our dire intellectual property laws!

pld.cs.luc.edu/courses/ethics/sum16/mnotes/ntp.html

As far as I'm aware that was the main obstacle, Blackberry seems to worry about their remaining enterprise customers and doesn't want to jeopardize that position by releasing the code.

There were actually plans to ship low-end Blackberries with Tizen OS, too.

What was so good about them? I know they were one of the first smartphones and actually had a keyboard.

BB10OS and the keyboard. Even after they went full retard and switched to Android they still had the best phone simply because physical keyboard.

So updated Classic never? ;_;

Check this out :^)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QNX#cite_ref-12

It's a shame they screwed up the Priv and now there is no chance of them making a better version.

Actually want to buy a black berry smart phone because of the keyboard now, what is the best one out? my iphone screen is kill and was going to switch to android but on screen keyboards annoy the shit out of me

Classic and Passport are the two best choices

16gb highest classic goes?

16GB is the only option. Not like it matters much, since it can accept micro SDXC cards

And whats wrong with the PRIV?

How did they screw it up?

>A blackberry got El Chapo caught thanks to their meme security
shittier than a fucking android phone
qz.com/594817/blackberrys-end-to-end-security-didnt-do-el-chapo-any-favors/

All thats left now of the old manufacturers is Samsung

Rip

It runs Android.

So fucking what? With a live USB/PS/2 adapter, a powered USB hub and a bit of cabling I can run my IBM keyboard on my phone.

0/10

Keyboard not as good as Classic.
No toolbelt.
Android.

>no hardware
>no security
Another dark mark on (((Canadian))) tech history.

These things are still $300~. Literally how?

Fuckers are basically modern feature phones now.

Is BlackBerry 10 really a good OS? I never really got to play with BB10 in my hand before.

F

How is a smartphone a feature phone, dumbass? And I was just price checking yesterday, I've got a Passport in my cart for under $250

It's the best. I will not go back to Android.

Lol blackberry wasn't dead yet

how can they fuck up this hard

all this shitty company had to do was make a go-to business phone

no one in enterprise enjoys deploying glorified media consumption devices that have a fragmented integration into corporate software

blackberry could have focused on supplying enterprise specific features but instead they did absolutely nothing

F

We'll take it from here.

android.com/work/

>BB10 as a hypervisor for android and others in the future

I am cum.

I wanted the Priv to be that way, too bad BlackBerry went full retard and made it Android-only.

Bought the Priv anyway for it being non-rootable (at least for now) and having pretty much guaranteed security updates.
Android is so awful. I was going to sell my Priv eventually if they gave BB10 one last hurrah ;_;

Also only has that 1 front facing speaker and doesn't have enough customization in the software. Need BB-tier file management features (usb mount and mass storage modes, wifi SMB/WebDAV, BT/NFC standardized send/receive without apps) at the minimum.

I'm just sticking with BB10OS. Switching from a Q10 to a Passport soon

ugh...yeah, I've got a passport myself, so I will probably end up getting another passport and a classic.

I was hoping to finally switch to android with the Rome or whatever, so I could get consistent use with spotify and other android apps.

nothing I love in tech lasts.

android is on some made by committee shit, it's not a phone OS, it's just thrown on phones.

bb10 was incredible
RIP the palm pre too while we are here
and fuck, the Treo because why not.

Typing on screen is better anyhow.

Personal preferences are a thing, you know. Yours are shit but still, to each his own.

So I take it that BB10 OS is for literal fedora tippers?

No, it's for people who want a mobile OS that's actually good.

How usable is the Classic still? I hear people complain about it being slow.

The Classic's got a slightly better CPU than my Q10 (Snapdragon S4 Plus compared to Snapdragon S4) and I've got absolutely no issues using my Q10.

Yeah lack of apps is for sure what killed it.

>millions of Android phones with root exploits
Not even close

For business mainly. People that need solid phones without all the memes. I still miss Blackberry hub, damn carrier locks I had to ditch my Q10

It's still good for phone calls, texts and emails. Not much outside of that.

>only has that 1 front facing speaker
>I need a device long less than half of my head to have two speakers for premium stereo experience

>expecting a business device to cater to muh autistic media consumption needs
I bet you also complain that you can't root it.

>On the one hand, NTP had indeed patented the idea of sending email to portable wireless devices.

Patenting an idea - not a physical thing, a product, or anything of it, but patenting a fucking IDEA.

I swear, this world just gets shittier by the fucking picosecond.

I had one it would overheat constantly and had a shit battery life

Man its still sad if not for everything else hardware diversity just took another hit, soon we're all going to be basically using the same phone with different skeletons, really sad to see the days of custom build hardware that you can only get on a certain device going. I hope apple at least keeps up designing their own shit, cause I'm pretty sure they're the last company that does.

no one gives a shit. they died in 2000 fucking 7 when Jobs unveiled the iPhone.

buy priv, it has android

Never bought anything from them, what did i miss? I went from a nokia 100-something to a sony ericsson then a moto g 1 which i'm still using.

easily the best phones for email/texting on

I had a Storm, no idea if that is meme tier around here but I loved it and always wanted a Bold as well but never got one since I went to Android.

The Priv looked great but the price was no go for me

jesus fuck shit, no vienna then

Welp, buying priv right now. I have nothing to wait for anymore.

That was done before and I didn't like it.

Keyboard is just too small for comfortable use.

I can't imagine it'd be smaller than the Q10's keyboard and I love typing on my Q10

Didn't work for me, was hitting adjacent keys all the time.

I really liked keyboard on xperia pro tho and Nokia E70 before that.