Bottlenecks?

Hey guys, do you think a Skylake i3 will bottleneck a 1080? Pretty sure single core performance is similar to the i5s no? My friend told me to get one and another friend told me that was stupid. Who do I trust?

pcpartpicker.com/list/2KrC8K

Other urls found in this thread:

trustedreviews.com/intel-core-i5-6400-review-performance-and-verdict-page-3#Y6fPkiYJP4TqPfuv.99
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bottleneck my dick, faggot

this

Doesn't seem that bad. I don't see why you're spending the extra cash on an 80+ Gold power supply though, 80+ is just a gimmick, don't even bother.

So much wrong...

Why do you need a fucking watercooler for an i3, inside a full tower case?? Stupid as fuck. Get a 6500 with the money used for the i3 and cooler, use the goddamn stock cooler, and get a mid-tower case and use the $10-20 you save for more ram. 8gb is minimum. Why are you getting a Z motherboard? Did you link to somebody else's build and just substitute an i3 instead of whatever it had? faggot

I already have all the non-1080 parts, that one's still in the mail :c

Wish I had saved the money on the PSU now tho

>falling for the 8GB meme

Who the hell needs more than 8 gb of ram!?
Especially with an i3, come on man.

>watercooler
>i3
Anyway, of course it will bottleneck in the newest games. A good test is to run the game at lower resolution and see if the CPU reaches 100% way before the GPU. If it does, then it's a bottleneck.

Better single thread than the I5s lmao

lol why do people even get i5s then

>dual core

A8 is actually looking pretty impressive value.

>buying anything other than the i5-6600k

Because the i3 is 2 core 4 thread, the i5 is 4 physical cores.

Only i5 worth getting is 6600k imo, otherwise the i3 6100 is plenty.

I5 6400 is trash, worse than the i3 in some cases like where single thread performance matters.

I5 6500 is better, but not better enough for the price.

A8 is incredible value, with that iGPU and being an unlocked quad core. Too bad it's limited to ddr3.

Because the i5-6600k isn't even on that list it only shows the 6500.

The 6600k is rock solid.

Can you not see the i3 is close to a bottleneck? Besides, The i3 is operating at 3.7ghz vs the i5's 3.1ghz, which still isn't breaking much of a sweat. You can OC both chips on a Z mobo granted you don't install the cancerous mobo updates from intel. Those aren't even the same scenes and shit's within an acceptable 5% margin of error (rounding).

Good question OP but I doubt it

>The Core i5’s performance with discrete GPUs was more mixed. In Battlefield 4 at Ultra settings the i5-6400 averaged 76.5fps, which is the same as the i3-6100 and even a little quicker than most older parts. In Bioshock the i5’s average of 153.1fps was a few frames behind the Core i3 part and in between older Core i5 chips.

Read more at trustedreviews.com/intel-core-i5-6400-review-performance-and-verdict-page-3#Y6fPkiYJP4TqPfuv.99

It's under less load because nothing is perfectly mtithreaded so a 2 stronger cores will match, or beat, 4 weaker cores. The i5 6400 is even more bottlenecked by its lack of single core performance if you want to bring that up.

Funny how there is no 6600k on that chart....

>watercooling for a non-overclocked 2core CPU
>OC chipset
>a single fucking stick of 4GB RAM
>and a fucking 1080

8/10, here's your (You)

You can always base clock OC

kys, or do you mean its not enough?

You can Oc blk but that is very limited and unstable, getting more than 200mhz is unlikely

I imagine it as the inbetween for people who would get an i7, but didn't want to spend over 250 dollars on a cpu.

Then again, people always seem to cite videogames or singlethread tests for the i3.
I would be curious to see how they would fare against an i5 in tasks like encoding or general multitasking, since who really only has one program open on their computer at a time?

The i3 loses in loads that spread across multiple cores evenly, but even then iirc it's only like a 10-15% difference to the i5 6400.

I'd still take the i3 though because for most things single thread is more important and there's like an 80 dollar difference between them here in aus last time I checked.

I'm not going to pay 50% more just for a best case 10-15% gain in performance and a possible loss in performance for less multithreaded workloads.

mom's spaghetti?

actually its for multitasking. ht or not, higher single threading or not, an i3 wont come close to being able to have as much shit going on as an i5 without dips in performance.

>i3
>GTX 1080
of course, you pair it with decent cpu if you plan to buy higher end gpus

I agree with others, i5 6600k is only worth getting in i5 category