Ganoo

Why do these assholes act like they own Loonix when none of their software is truly great, just "good enough"?

Other urls found in this thread:

linux.slashdot.org/story/10/01/21/230201/75-of-linux-code-now-written-by-paid-developers
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/on-linuxs-25th-anniversary-development-has-gone-corporate/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

???

plenty of free software is wonderful and beautiful and amazing and none of your proprietary shitware even comes close to touching it
but none of that matters at all because
freedom, privacy, and personal sovereignty are more important than capability, comfort, or convenience
if you feel otherwise, you might as well not be human

You should replay 1990 to understand how important is the "ganoo".

Linux is still Linus' invention, even if he used GNU software to build it.

Totally bait. Paid software will pretty much always be better because developers are paid to work, it's not a hobby of theirs. Do you want to say that GIMP is better than Photoshop? Fuck off. I love Irfanview, Photoshop, Lightroom, Faststone, Sony Vegas. These are not available native for Linux. If you find something better than one of these, tell me. Protip : don't bother

Software you thought were great are probably phased out and no longer in use. See: All those proprietary programs in the past 20 years.

Unix-based software are all mainstay and will be used forever.

/thread

>Irfanview
Shit.
>Photoshop
GIMP is better
>Lightroom
Made for cucks with locked-out proprietary cameras. Not needed.
>Faststone
Whut?
>Sony Vegas.
Blender is better

Bad post.

You are retarded. Okay this is really bait, fuck off and bye.

>Bash
Alright, doesn't really offer anything over other shells, has some real annoying aspects
>GCC
Muh bloat, violates standards everywhere, more used out of inertia and because people won't write optimisations for other libraries than because it's innately good
>Emacs
lol
>Wget
Inferior to curl/httpie

Nothing in Ganoo is really a "killer app", to quote Gandalf Jobs

Because they want to get the credit they deserve. They don't want people to think they own Linux they just want people to know that Linux only became useful when people took the kernel and made it work with the GNU operating system components that GNU had already made (ie everything but the kernel).

and linux is not a good kernel, no matter how many LOC you put into it.

I miss that era. Unix was for smart people. Now we have all these basement dwelling man children ricing their steam machines.

>i miss Sun

GNU has the occasional gem, they're becoming less relevant because Stallman makes them look bad to most people

But Emacs is literally the best text editor there is, vimnigger.

Emacs is shit and was only used by whinny LISPers that were butthurt that Unix won.

The Official Release of Slackware Linux by Patrick Volkerding is an advanced Linux operating system, designed with the twin goals of ease of use and stability as top priorities. Including the latest popular software while retaining a sense of tradition, providing simplicity and ease of use alongside flexibility and power, Slackware brings the best of all worlds to the table.

Originally developed by Linus Torvalds in 1991, the UNIX®-like Linux operating system now benefits from the contributions of millions of users and developers around the world. Slackware Linux provides new and experienced users alike with a fully-featured system, equipped to serve in any capacity from desktop workstation to machine-room server. Web, ftp, and email servers are ready to go out of the box, as are a wide selection of popular desktop environments. A full range of development tools, editors, and current libraries is included for users who wish to develop or compile additional software.

Eat a dick, pleb.

Nerds fighting themself is/will be the dead of 'em

how's your RSI?

Fuck off Stallman, you wouldn't be anything without Linus

>>GCC
>>Muh bloat, violates standards everywhere
It can use several standards. Deal with it.
>>Emacs
>>lol
>(You)
lol

>Totally bait. Paid software will pretty much always be better because developers are paid to work, it's not a hobby of theirs. Do you want to say that GIMP is better than Photoshop? Fuck off. I love Irfanview, Photoshop, Lightroom, Faststone, Sony Vegas. These are not available native for Linux. If you find something better than one of these, tell me. Protip : don't bother
Over 80% of Linux developers get paid for it.

>Irfanview
gthumb, digikam, shotwell
>Lightroom
Darktable
>Faststone
Imagemagick?
>Sony Vegas
Lightworks

These are all viable alternatives, but you probably have your head too far up your ass to see otherwise.

Is this bait? Do people unironically use emacs?

Also,
>it can follow several standards
kek
>standard 1 says "a" must do "x"
>standard 2 says "a" must do "y"
>emacs follows standard 1 and makes a do x
>standard 1 says "b" must do "x"
>standard 2 says "b" must do "y"
>emacs follows standard 2 and makes b do y
>people claim it follows several standards
no, it's following its own made-up standards that happen to align with parts of several standards but actually follow none :&)

Not him, but citation on that statistic.

>What is Hurd?

*When

Oh boy, you seem very confused!

It appears you are unaware that there is a difference between "free" as in "freedom", and "free", as in "free beer". One is philosophical, the other is a cost.

You appear to have written your comment with the "cost" aspect in mind, without realizing that the comment you replied to obviously argued from a political/philosophical point of view.

I would advice you to Google "free software", "open source", or even "FOSS", to learn more. Watch some talks by Stallman or Eben Moglen, and then come back for a more informed discussion.

You're welcome!

75% of Linux developers were paid in 2010
linux.slashdot.org/story/10/01/21/230201/75-of-linux-code-now-written-by-paid-developers

92.3% of Linux developers were paid in 2016
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/on-linuxs-25th-anniversary-development-has-gone-corporate/

every unix adminfor the past two decades has install gnu userland first thing. op is a masive faggot. move on enjoy friday.

>all that paid help
Still shitty kernel instrumentation
Still no stable modern file system
Still no useful init system
Still trying to implement containers to match 15 year old tech.

Why would they do that?

You aren't citing those articles correctly. Both of those percentages are of contributions to the kernel, not of contributors.

You could have 100 people working on a project where 1 guy gets writes 70% of the code. If only he got a salary, only 1% of the developers would be getting paid, but 70% of the code would still be coming from paid developers.

Then why is thr software so shit?

The FSF don't own Linux and they never claim to own Linux.

Im sold.

Why is windows so shit? All of its developers are paid.

#REKT and BTFO

because the commercial UNIX userland was shit, just like 90% of the shitware that comes with Windows is shit and people download vlc, libreoffice, chrome, etc...

>commercial UNIX userland was shit
CDE
Korn shell
ZFS
Zones
Dtrace

haha nice one kid.

They want it for their ego boost nothing else.
>write a few software packages
>we now need to call it GNU/Linux

If that's not bad enough, they've got GNUfags not only preaching GNUology, they tend to dictate "freedom".

Think of russia's or china's "communism". They're pretending to do it for the people, whilst they dictate whats good and beat you up if you disagree.

Egocentric bastards. Even had to fork Linux because they're too retarded to make a working kernel ;^)

>ZFS
>CDE
Cringe

>CDE
I give you that, I liked OPENLOOK/OPENWindows
>ZFS
>implying btrfs
hah.

There are many things I don't like but it works fine. I want to install Arch again but I'm tired of Xfce and its slow development. Do you knowbif MATE is good?

you know what's funny about GNU

3 guys managed to clone UNIX by themselves and sold it and finished it way before GNU, it was called Coherent

MINIX also comes to mind

Linux was wonderful while taking computer science courses but I haven't touched it since graduating

god ur dumb

> OSes weren’t developed in a vacuum

really! wow, sarcasm!

Keep running your shitty clones of good software, shitforbrains.

yeah thats why the fsf threatened rape in prison. oh wait that was the business software alliance on piracy.

You accidentally hit b instead of the space bar.
Thought id let you know for next time.

Thanks but I'm on my phone, this keyboard is a little too small :^)