I got my first e-reader, Kobo Aura 2013 (pic). The software on it seems very barebones, it doesn't recognize CBR files...

I got my first e-reader, Kobo Aura 2013 (pic). The software on it seems very barebones, it doesn't recognize CBR files, there's no PDF reading that recognizes text or gets rid of margins.. How do I get started putting custom firmware or apps on it?

Also there's a single bright pixel in the middle when glow is on that's very distracting. Can that be fixed?

Other urls found in this thread:

mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=223
github.com/koreader/koreader
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Middle where? In the edges? Or smack dab in the middle of the screen?

There shouldn't be a bright pixel because the screen is frontlit, not backlit.

smack dab in the middle of the screen. It's kind of annoying and distracting, but not impossible to forget about after awhile. It looks like it might be something tiny and reflective trapped under the screen or a tiny hole in the e-ink display? I really cant tell when I look at it. it's invisible with the backlight off.

return that piece of crap and get a paperwhite like all rational beings

You must be full of shit since my Kobo Aura HD (2013 too) can do CBR just fine, out of the box.
Therefore, my motivation of even helping you is pretty low already.

Well, a few pointers: use Calibre and use this pajeet's forums since it is the biggest and most active community you can find: mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=223 (that's the Kobo forums)
Kobo is one of the better companies with released firmwares and code (all bless the GPL) and constant updates (with new features) even for old devices. The Kobo has an active custom firmware scene (see the link above), Kobo's programmers occasionally listen to users and the custom firmware guys do too.

It shouldn't be a dead pixel (that's not how it works) but a tiny defect in the layer that spreads the light. Due to this it reflects the light into some direction, looking like a small, bright "pixel".

>smack dab in the middle of the screen.
Oh okay. No idea so maybe return it for another one? I have the Kobo H2O model and the whole screen when used with built in light I can see little imperfections or micro dots throughout the whole screen. I can't take a picture of it. I just look closely at it and I can see little dots if I remember.

I work for Rakuten Japan.

I suppose I should thank you for buying from Kobo, but my personal opinion is that kobo products are cancer.

Why?

congrats on geting the right e-reader, kindle is overpriced, propietary shit

Why the fuck didn't you get the superior Kobo Glo HD?

Semi-related; can e-readers be used to read manga?

Ive had 2 kindle paper whites and they both had the same bright spots, sometimes several. I think it's from the laser that cuts the light guides burning through too much material.

should have gotten the kobo glo hd fampai

>can't recognize CBR files
>can't read PDF's

how stupid can you be?

fuck off, loser.

>Ive had 2 kindle paper whites and they both had the same bright spots, sometimes several. I think it's from the laser that cuts the light guides burning through too much material.
I'm pretty sure it's a defect in the plastic layer causing an erratic reflection as well

Yes, although there are some issues with scrolling direction and double pages.

They also look pretty okay especially on higher DPI devices.

You could try them in calibre(or a different software) first to see if scrolling etc. works the right way.

Kindle may be proprietary cancer, but I'm quite impressed with how mine handles pirated manga. Use Kindle Comic Converter along with Calibre and it'll fix margins, reverse the page turn gestures properly, and enable the (optional) "panel zoom" thing just like in manga purchased from Amazon.

Also, , which ereaders support removing PDF margins? I wasn't aware that any did.

Mine was $50 and I'm a cheapskate.

I used to watch the goodereader reviews and I thought they showed some pdf reading software that did that. I kind of need it. I can manually zoom in just right but when I page turn it forgets where im zoomed in

github.com/koreader/koreader

There might be an android ROM for your reader too

Why would you read manga? Are you 12 years old?

>not getting the based Aura One 7.8"
Fucking tired of you subhuman poorfags.

KOREA A SHIT

I'm still on a 4.5 year old launch Kobo touch.

Works pretty well, crazy good battery life. Sometimes have to convert ebooks using Calibre and other software.

It's not even that expensive considering the specs.

Just get a tablet

damn op. you ain't get aura one. done fucked up.

probably got it as a gift
goes on Cred Forums to kvetch about it
what a fag