Kids in the future will leave high school knowing more about technology than you do

>kids in the future will leave high school knowing more about technology than you do

What's your backup plan Cred Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MjWEKdXbPEM
usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/03/12/algebra-courses-honors/1978801/
coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/
britannica.com/topic/life-adjustment-movement
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_school_movement
huffingtonpost.com/rave-mehta/reclaiming-our-world-rank_b_6413910.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>C++

t. Guy from 10, 20, 30 years ago (take your pick)

>so much math yet actual useful stuff is in year 9-12
do they want a generation of autists or something?

i have no idea about math or programming, and i am perfectly fine without them, these are so disconnected from reality. we should only learn basic math like addition and multiplication, and everything else will be late elective. real useful stuff is history, english, 2nd language, political science and maybe philosophy

No, they won't. Being interested in technology I stay up-to-date with the latest by visiting a Bangladesh knitting imageboard.

>real useful stuff is history, english, political science and maybe philosophy

>knowing how to properly express ideas and knowledge of the rules of the world

>Calculus in the seventh grade
Most of the children in the world do not have the capacity to ever comprehend calculus in their lifetime.

>believe people are interested in doing actual work in the future

>Most of the children in the world do not have the capacity to ever comprehend calculus in their lifetime.

Everyone who graduated high school in Europe for the last 100 years learnt calculus.

Being a gourmet chef is handy :^}

>I'm incapable of thinking for myself or really doing anything but regurgitating factoids from a textbook, thus these subjects are bad and useless

That's fucking retarded. Kids should develop a proficiency in trigonometry at the very least.

Social "science" majors detected. I'll have a frappuccino please.

This would never work. People are just too fucking stupid. You can't force them to be "more educated".

You can see this all throughout history: There are classes. The rich class of the smart and cunning, and the poor class of the retarded plebs. 90% of society is made up of the retarded plebs.

Do you think humanity has somehow escaped this? Just look at how much success Bernie's campaign had. The plebs came out in full force. Millions of stupid people with nothing to offer society, just looking for handouts.

>the code monkey thinks he's hot shit
Don't you have another 14 hours to spend debugging your soulless "enterprise" Java applications, Raj?

You don't have to be a bogeyman undergrad to appreciate the significance of growing up and actually understanding how the world works instead of wasting that slogging away on useless subjects you'll forget immediately after graduating.

Political science and economics are pretty useful in understanding how the world works, sure. I make sure to take some classes related to those as electives.

But unless you're either in a well-connected family or you have a brilliant business idea, you had better get into STEM, or you'll be working factory jobs for the rest of your life.

Hold the attitude, son, or I'll have your manager come out and fire you. Now, my frappuccino?

From what I am seeing, 75% of the next generation will think that typing on a real keyboard is "like, omg, so last century!"

They had better make touchscreen keyboards less cumbersome then

Let's keep history out of school, the winners writes history and it's wrong to teach only one version from one POV.

Given the number of retards out there, it won't do any good to teach them algorithmics/decisionals problem at a young age.

You mean like these people?

youtube.com/watch?v=MjWEKdXbPEM

>kids in the future will leave high school knowing how to use an iPad and write some basic javascript

ftfy

>PROPERLY
The very concept of "proper" is a spook. You am knowing-capable of many things understand, even when meat-chop langauge. The strict essay formats of english classes are an unecessary challenge that only fucks over more mechanically minded persons while boosting grades for better storytellers and more eager ruler-followers.
>rules of the world
All you need to know is that you never asked for them, and that the appropriate weaponry will fix that. Politics 101.

factory jobs and trades are practically and ethically preferrable to writing shitty proprietary software for 80k a year in a gentrified city, where that's the same as making $40k a year in farmland . Now realize factory workers and tradies are making $80k a year in farmland, AND have enough free time and free gray matter set aside to learn programming languages that are actually good and write quality FOSS.

Not disagreeing with that at all, but there is more to life than getting a job, and there are plenty of non-STEM skills that play into a job. It's ignorant to negate such things as inherently less useful, even if focusing on them solely definitely isn't going to make you more employable, either.

Sorry, I can't process your request because you forgot to fix a memory leak in POS.js and now the terminal's totally locked up. Maybe we can talk to your Project Supervising Evangelist(TM) about it?

t. autist
while i agree that english classes need a reform too
and if anything we didn't ask for are math rules
what are they based on?

Us 90's kids knew a lot more about technology when we left school than millennials do.

"Technology" is all about consumerism now, nobody wants to learn how to build or program stuff anymore.

Programming is mandatory in many US high schools now. Really terrible "us 90s kids" post.

90s kids are the most millennial

Who wrote this? Have they ever went to a public school?

I learned Pythagorean's theorem in eighth grade, and I was considered an "advanced" student. Vector calculus? get real. By middle school, people would say "maan when da fuk r we ever gonna use this"

Sorry, I meant went to highschool in the 90's.

I was born in the 70's.

mid70s-mid90s = millennial

>"I'm a humanist", says the retard who can't into basic maths
>"I'm a mathematical mind", says the retard who hasn't read a non-scientific book in his fucking life
Daily reminder: if you're and ignorant faggot, don't pretend it's a virtue.

You mean high level smartphone "app" programming

it's a step above knowing how to use a computer but not much else

>imagine a world where everyone is a script kiddie
>Yeah, where would the good programs come from?
>that's easy, we just make bad programs the norm. check out this js-based text editor in the CLOUD! it's so slow and useless that it makes emacs look like vim!

Hahahahahahahahaha spotted the faggot who still lives with his parents and never held a job.

Factory workers make anywhere between the range of $10-$20 a year, tops, but certainly not 80k unless they have a special position at the factory that they went to school for. Stop romanticizing blue-collar work.

Like I said, those other things are useful, but won't help you get a good job that you can build a comfy life with unless you're lucky. Yeah there's more to life than getting a job, but spending every day at a job you hate while kicking yourself because you know you could have done better is something that is totally avoidable.

You are so dumb dude. 90s kids lost. 00s kids are leaving high school with a solid programming base. Things only get better from here for kids.

Non-scientific books are an outdated means of sharing random creative ideas

All of the inspiration provided by older books has been absorbed and utilized
New books do not contain anything of value. The valuable creative minds of our time have moved on to moving pictures, leaving books to velociraptor rape fantasies and elf-dwarf-wizard nonsense.

Common Core has dropped mathematics standards, rather than raised it. I'm more worried about the future of my kids than my own future.

>Solid programming base

you mean CS101: intro to java(script). nobody is learning lisp, or the theory of computation, or even C. it's not a push to educate people and give them skills for life, it's a push to saturate the low-level IT sector so wages can be driven down.

cue the government propaganda telling web devs and other userland shitters that they contribute something of value fo society, like they're on the level of the people who develop firmare for medical equipment.

No, grown up around smartphones = millennial

I didn't even own a phone until I was 20.
If I missed a meeting I could be out of touch for days.

They're learning basic programming and logical thinking. Absolutely no downside here.

>00s kids are leaving high school with a solid programming base.

Then why can't I find any decent programmers to hire?

I like how all the really complex concepts for kids to grasp are clustered in the first few years and then all the simple shit is given to high schoolers
this, but autistic posts like the OP are useless and will never happen anyways
this. plus they learn like code monkey tier shit and most of them don't know how to write anything more than a for loop by the time they graduate.

Many highschools already teach C++ as an interest based elective, and did so before the whole "teach kids tech" meme started.

lol
1. there's nothing wrong with smartphones and 2. millenial is grown up just before smartphones
also you were a poorfag back then

Well, kinda, a lot of creatives use social media to get their content out there. Not everyone is an animator, but that doesn't mean they don't have things or ideas to contribute.

Knowing about construction, electricity, agriculture...

American tier education system...

>backup plan
Wake up?

The image OP posted was from a thread on /sci/, where posters were discussing an ideal curriculum for grade school. I think most people realize, however, the bureaucracy won't let it happen.

The thing that gets me about these plans is that they push high level math and teach middle schoolers calculus. They may be able to comprehend it (I think there are studies to back that up), but math like that requires quite a lot of practice to understand. It may be beneficial to teach more math earlier, but people who think that middle and high schoolers are going to want hours of homework each night are delusional.

>Mid70s
You mean 1982.

You're looking for 16 year olds or younger? Fire yourself mate.

>solid programming base
the typical class goes like this:
>making the "whats your name" game in python/js
>day two: for loops
>day three: ifs
>final days: basic sorting algorithm in python/js, a necessarily lengthy but not necessarily advanced program like a simple adventure game

As with athletes, a coach will make you faster, not fast. At that basic level, you're just flexing the intellectual muscles you already had and determining if trying to progress further is worth it. It's a real waste of time that should be reserved for college programs that need an introductory "filter class" and stand to profit from it. This is public ed, a succeed-or-fuck-you-work-at-mcdonalds endavour that does not stand to make ANY money off baiting retards who want to be game developers into getting their dreams crushed in the first or second class. It actually LOSES money.

A solid programming base for public ed would be based off theory. After that, those who are interested take more career or science oriented electives, and those who aren't still walk away with more developed thinking skills. They learn new logical patterns of thought instead of how to put simple "if the store has eggs, also buy milk" thought into valid python.

but that's not what the US is going for, they're going for a very large number of codemonkeys as a giant retarded economic stimulus

american schools axe wood shop sooner than they axe "essentials" like english (aka formal writing adhering to formats nobody uses outside of academia)

it's pretty sad, but the tradies aren't complaining when people need them to fix a wooden chair

>Homework

If your education system is worth a damn, you don't need a lot of mandatory homework. Just tests.

>people who lack the initiative to undertake independent studies and practice are a problem, principal. should we find a way to get them to be more enthusiastic about learning? how about letting them study different subjects.
>hmmm, no, our standard curriculum is the standard, everyone has to learn it because i say so. let's give them homework so they'll fail regardless
>but...
>uh, let's make it easy rote shit so they still pass.

>If your education system is worth a damn, you don't need a lot of mandatory homework. Just tests.

This, but there are ways to fuck up tests too. Good tests make students apply the knowledge they have learned so they can demonstrate they have an actual understanding of the material, a bad test is regurgitating word for word answers from a book.

>you don't need a lot of mandatory homework
In 11th or 12th grade, I think this is fine. However, one of the problems with cutting mandatory homework out of 6th to about 10th grade means a huge drop in the number of graded assignments. If a 6th grader fails a test, do they deserve a C or D in the class? A large number of smaller graded assignments ensure that if the student is making an effort at the class, they will not fail from one bad test.

This is in contrast to many college classes, where one test is worth 20% of the final grade.

>language is an outdated means of human expression
>all literary and philosophical achievments of human kind are therefore invalidated; no shame in knowing shit about them
>movies are cool, tho
t. fucking millenial savage.

>needing someone to teach you how to think for yourself
Also fuck your "rules of the world". Society isn't static and rules and laws change all the time.

>movies do not contain language
Published and printed books are a medium have been abandoned as an avenue for serious and valuable thought, as part of a trend that has been slowly taking over literature for a while now as real writing has moved itself into academic journals.

Read plato, but please, put down the alexander dums. It doesn't make you smart.

>everyone has to be a """""coder""""" maymay

I though we agreed this is absolute cancer. What about kids interested in other more meaningful fields like medicine?

Only if you're male

Medicine is too typical for girls. Girls need to code to show the patriarchy who's boss.

>real writing has moved itself into academic journals
I mean, a lot of philosophical theses are published as books, but okay.

>Vector calculus
>8th
Um, you have a lot more hope for humanity than you should.

Same in America, didn't mean you remember it even a year later.

So what you're saying is: if you haven't read, say Kafka or Dostoyevski, you can still call yourself an educated fella, because:
a) books as a medium have been abandoned [citation needed],
b) their works don't meet the criteria of academic publications.

Have you been tested for clinical retardation, my friend?

>couldn't take the programming class in HS because the year of "how to use excel for dummies" was a prereq.

I had to teach myself and was probably better off for it.

I'm really sad the likes of you exist.

Done people unironically think this is a good and achievable idea.

whoever made that post is an autist and has no clue how retarded the average person is, that program would work for maybe the top 5% of the population.

t.math teacher

what a joke, education is getting dumbed down not the other way 'round
if any college-tier classes are getting moved into high school it will be women's studies and communist intersectionality

t. autist

I took a programming elective in high school. Out of a school with a class size of about 300 there were 20 people took it. These are people with enough interest in the subject to choose to take it. Out of those there were about four who could fizz buzz at the end. Half of the rest got lost at if statements and the other went tits up at loops.

When I took the entry level programming class at University 1/3 dropped the class around if statements. We're talking about a class that only electrical engineers take because all the CS people take the same course but in Java not C++. It's supposed to be taken sophomore year after Calc 1 and 2 though that's not a prerequisite. However if you don't have those by sophomore year you're way behind because all the EE classes have those as prereqs. So the weed out was already done.

>That feel when a junior asks you to tutor him on bubble sort and you're taking the class first semester of freshman year because you want a CS minor.

To his credit and my surprise he did get it after about an hour of me stepping through my code with him. However he had made it past ifs and loops at this point so he had already beat the odds. I made a good friend who told me what to expect from professors and classes before I had to register for classes.

I feel really confident in saying you're not teaching programming in a useful manner if you have a required programming class in high school. That is unless you have a hs drop out rate of like 75%.

>modern philosophy
>real writing

given that philosophy is only of historical interest as the foundations of science and the study of reality....yeah.

i think we can safely ignore modern philosphers insisting on the beauty/meaninglessness of life. it's maladaptive thought at the very least.

I think you missed the point

Those are among the last good writers, the last informative critiques

Once you guzzle all that down in your youth I don't blame you for sticking to instruction manuals and peeer reviewed papers, aside from the occasional re-read

Vector Calculus is the easiest of all the Calculi. All you have to learn is ∫_∂Ω ω = ∫_Ω dω

ITT: People on the spectrum who have never worked with kids, or in an educational institution.

If you seriously think you're going to be teaching Calculus to 7th graders, linear algebra to 4th graders, or vector calc to 8th graders, I've got a wall to sell you.
99.4% of children do not have the capacity to learn like this, and even fewer have the required diligence and discipline.

We would do much better to teach people life skills classes like cooking, finance, and simple repair.

Everyone should know how to code just like how everyone should know how to drive.

The majority of my class in 8th grade were having trouble with basic algebra.

t. amerinigger

>trayvon an cletus dont get yo fancy mathematics white bo...je....autist.

>Sorry, I meant went to highschool in the 90's.
>I was born in the 70's.

'merican education...

Lol

And yet there is strong evidence that most people are incapable of those two tasks. You can should as hard as you want to and yet the set of people who should and can will never be the same or even have an intersection that is anywhere near acceptable to you.

Everyone who codes should know how to code
Everyone who drives should know how to drive

but in america, this is not the case

>AMERICA
>you can parallel park in your mom's camry and go around the block without running a stop sign. you may now buy a 5spd nissan GT-R and take to the interstate.
>oh yeah, we have lots of RAM, go ahead and use java and uncompressed assets, who cares, people will pay for the program anyways

Not gonna happen, given how education system gets dumbed down every year majority go into african studies and sjw bs.
Minority STEM degree holders have nothing to worry about.

Most children in the world are not white.

I think your autism stopped you from making a coherent point.

Honestly I just want to do Astronomy, but I don't have the qualifications or the time to do an Open University degree ;-;

I think your idiocy stopped you from understanding the point

americans don't have standards

>C++ in 8th grade

wew laddie

way to make kids hate school even mo-

>statistics in 9th

WEW

People are retarded and lazy. This shit will never fly.

>Proofs in 5th grade

This is a great way to get kids to stop giving a shit about math early

>By middle school, people would say "maan when da fuk r we ever gonna use this"

Next year in Physics

why do mathfags always try to force the rest of the world to learn their autistic shit?

ideal my fucking ass

>Girls need to code to defflate the job value and became code monkeys for mr longshekel.
ftfy
why?

Proofs are like fun little logic puzzles and once you learn them, the rest of math becomes so much easier.

Because they were learning it for the first time.

>Muslim migrants struggle learning algebra in the 12 grade
>So there's no way 12th graders can learn calculus
>African migrants struggle learning English at 30
>So there's no way 3rd graders can learn English

I got an A in my college discrete math with proofs without knowing how to do proofs because nearly everybody in my class failed 90% of the proof questions, so he just through them out.

Only a handful of kids will do anything close to that, only those in private schools or home schooled.

LA and NYC barely have 60% graduation rates. That's with lower standards too.

The work instilled a sense of responsibility in the children.

>kids in the future
>knowing more
>backup

So the ideal for a younger generation is reversed because of fear and the failure of adults, I mean, this is what private tutors are meant for, and private schools.

Not everyone can be successful and rule. Your chart suggests OCD, there's no surefire recipe in life, in fact life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

The whole point of education isn't to be programmed under predispositions, it's fundamentally finding purpose as the chief aim, otherwise gaining an undifferentiated broad knowledge without perspective is nullified.

And why would you need to quantify that anyway since knowledge and happiness takes many forms.

This, exactly. Classes.

If you have stopped learning now then you are bound to fail.

They can't pick up information faster than you can. Their educations will cover more but you can continue learning.
They should never catch up to you within your working lifetime.

From personal experience the best method of teaching somoene shit i've seen so far is by actively forcing people to read and apply the literature/theories they have to learn.

Which is best done by giving students weekly assignments, which then are graded and thus double as tests. This means that over the course of their education they will never get a true exam, taking away the need for an exam and all the stress and intensive learning shortly before that comes with it.

Tests/exams are nothing more than snapshots of that current moment. They also invite students to avoid any work and just study a week or less in advance (which of course can work really poorly depending on the subject).

The only danger remaining at that point is a lack of motivation or discipline. Something that can mostly be solved by a proper variety of literature and more imporantly, good teachers. Unfortunately the job of a teacher these days is rather stressfull, severly underpaid and can be unthankfull at times.

>CS majors are brainlets, news at ll

1. Ageism is a label and is as bad as racism and there are no such things as generations since people are born every day.

2. Millennial just like every other generation has its goalposts moved every 5 years, "millennial" is the current 4 letter word. In 2005 it was "born after the millennium, duh" but now it's "you have to have been an adult before the millennium". What is adult, well that depends on who you ask, and some people say 25. So you can be born as early as 1975 and still be a millennial.

3. Generation Y doesn't exist anymore because it was eaten by Millennials for the above reason. Millennial is a meme hate generation that will keep moving its goalposts every 5 years and in 20 years it will be "50 years before and after the millennium because I say so"

4. There is nothing wrong with smartphones and you are just a luddite and mad because you had to waste time in a fucking library you shit boomer wannabe

fuck off millennial

>LA and NYC barely have 60% graduation rates. That's with lower standards too.

You forgot to modulo the black kids.

where the fuck was all this physics when I was in school? I had to actively search out and find that shit to replace a little of my 16 years of English classes. Until AP classes, my curriculum was dumb general shit that was not possible to modify.
They used to teach algebra in 6th grade and then completely leave it out until high school like who the hell planned curriculums back then?

>I have no idea about math

t. Brainlet

You only function fine because you don't do anything that requires a high level of quantitative thinking

PhD in maths.
Any job I want.
300k starting.

As for your pic, that isn't happening any time soon. Everyone can learn what is listed, but not everyone can learn it at the same pace.

That implies you can learn anything at any age. 2 year olds learning differential equations when?

t. autist
math doesn't require you to even be smart

You ever been to an Asian country?
Shit is more real than you'd think

i know a bunch of people who work on education, they all agree kids are coming out of school more and more retarded by the day except in places like Finland where they're all autists anyways.
So don't worry they're no threat to you unless they're from some elite international school, some of those don't even let kids touch electronics until a late age cause it turns them into adhd ridden retards.

>meaningful fields like medicine
Nigga please.
Micro/Nanorobotics will deprecate the entire field.

cool argument gen Y faggot, you fucking mad that you've been dumped in the same generation by boomers

>Everyone can learn what is listed, but not everyone can learn it at the same pace

The meme that grade level = age needs to die.

>where the fuck was all this physics when I was in school

Wasn't invented yet grandpa

God, shit like this is exactly why I am glad STEM autists don't create educational policy. Literally useless for the vast majority of the populace.

I sincerely doubt it. They'd need multiple college degrees in science and math to surpass my knowledge.

>kids in the future will leave high school knowing more about technology than you do

Knowing about 'technology" means very little.

If you know calculus, discrete math, graph theory, differential geometry, statistics and theory of computation very well, then learning algorithms and data structures and relational databases and such is not hard, nor is learning about technology. Math and science are the foundation of these technologies.

I think you grossly overestimate the skills of most children. This kind of curriculum can work for only the smartest of the children, not the general public.

>he thinks one turboautists ideal will become reality

>he thinks anti-intellectuals can hold back progress

Yes. Nobody needs to know anything about medicine. We just need engineers who can build robots. The engineers don't even need to know anything about medicine. Good plan.

Not at my high school. Only people who took advanced classes got calc, not that it was hard to get into advanced classes. You just needed an A in middle school iirc

>2nd grade
>fractions
>tfw didn't understand fractions until 10th grade
fuck

Were you in special ed

Learning about technology as time goes on. You're a full retard if you finished HS/College/formal ed and then said WELL IM DONE LEARNING NOW, TIME TO LET THE KIDDOS TAKE MY JOB WHEN IM 40

You're fully capable, even more capable than those kids, to learn as time goes on. Just don't sit there wasting away like a retard.

no

did your school not have special ed or what

All of 'merican education is special ed. Even honors classes

usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/03/12/algebra-courses-honors/1978801/

christ user, I thought I was bad for not being able to do basic trig until 15

>teaching bases before you teach multiplication, let alone exponentiation
Surely that will work out.

>Europe
>white

um... you work an off the street factory job, sure, they can higher anyone off the street and fill your position.

you work a trade, and thats what takes you to the 60k-160k$ range.

computers are good
technology by and large is good
cellphones, as useless as I think they are are good

smartphones are somehow the worst thing ever, dumbing everyone down because they are able to stay in a comfort zone 24/7 even when forced out of it.

Would probably not accomplish much of anything. If anything it might cause a lot of children to get held back and lead to more high school dropouts or people having to complete their high school education as an adult. You can't force people who don't give a fuck to learn something.

I was born in 87 and went to school till 06, that was mandatory education

We learn addition subtraction for 2 fucking years, I had to literally teach myself multiplication and division, and when my cunt of a teacher found out that was a week of 'punishment' of being sent to the 4th grade classroom. I literally sleep walk through all of math classes, thoroughly piss every teacher off by not doing the homework (its all repetitive bitch work) but test so god damn high they cant hold me back, hell, there were 2 standardized tests that if I did my homework I would have been up for skipping grades. around 7th and 8th grade, I literally could not be fucking asked to learn about the mayflower for the 7th and 8th fucking time, so I almost get held back. English, at least writing and spelling isn't a strong suit of mine either, though comprehension was and still is one of my strong suits.

Point being, I spend 2 mother fucking years learning addition and subtraction, when this shit would take 1 fuking week at most to learn, multiplication and division should be added in to that early core, along with story problem algebra. because literally fuck the person to death who thinks grinding mindless equations was a good way to teach anything, give me a real world example of what you are asking for.

I honestly think rpgs, or arpgs should be a school wide activity, as through the act of min maxing you apply a fuck ton of math and through raiding you get teamwork, add in if you get a bunch of schools together, you get the competition.

personally, the best way to teach is through a practical problem that they apply what they learned to solve it.

and for me, highschool math which was all bitch work of 'do these 100 problems' which could take 3-4 hours to do depending on the person, is shit i skipped doing when i found out a passing grade is 60%+ and homework was 30% of the grade.

learn during the class, apply what i learned the night before a test, get an A but average my grade our to a d+/c- range due to some homework being an all in class exercise.

your grades prior to highschool don't matter period, so long as they pass, who fucking cares what the grade was.

None of this shit is ever gonna happen even thought it might be a great idea, at least in America. They're just going to keep buying kids iPads (or I guess Chromebooks now), make more dumbed down "learn to code" apps like Alice, and continue lowering the passing grade on already retarded standardized tests to get "better results".

the have the balls to fall students till they learn.

and throwing 100 math problems, all of which you are required to show work even if you can do the math in your head isn't.

When was the last time you met a factory worker who had even the slightest idea of how computers work? Get out of your mother's basement you degenerate NEET

Failing students for not learning stuff that is basically irrelevant to their lives will not ever go over well. It wont create what you want either it's just going to create a bunch of unemployable poorfags that will become a drain on the economy. The only people that should learn this stuff are the people that want it.

Buy more hardware with my stockpiles of money, because your post is irrelevant to reality.

coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

You're literally retarded. How the fuck will machines fix shit if nobody knows how that shit works? Research in medicine and the like will create far more advancement than just making everything fucking smaller

>>smartphones are somehow the worst thing ever, dumbing everyone down because they are able to stay in a comfort zone 24/7 even when forced out of it.

More like social media

Around me they learn MSO 24/7 due to the ms shill government. Their knowledge go to ebin.

>or people having to complete their high school education as an adult

And this is bad how?

>Born in the early 90s
>Spent 3 fucking years learning addition
>Already figured out multiplication by myself in preschool
>Every year demand to go into a more advanced class
>Every year get denied

In the 5th grade the assignment were all "solve these 100 problems, you've got 60 seconds, go!"

Well there's nothing wrong with getting an education late but most jobs require at least a high school education these days so spending more years in school just gets in the way of you actually starting your career. If you get that education out of the way while you're still living with your parents and have fewer responsibilities it's probably a lot easier than if you're working on it on your own.

For the unaware this thread was on /sci/ where everyone posted what they would teach their hypothetical homeschooled kid.

You and almost the entire world is governed by American capitalism and the English language. Rise and shine.

The problem is that we're not teaching kids the right kind of mathematics. How to start a business, consumer mathematics, stats, business/finance, network theory, economics, and differential equations, have more real world applications than any other niche field of mathematics such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. These are fields for the mathematician and scientist, not for the masses. History, literature, ethics/logic, and English should also be the enforced non-STEM subjects. However, the average STEM twat would have you believe that learning algebra and the Pythagorean theorem will prove to be beneficial to you, when in reality, these specialized subjects are mainly used for those who are using it in research.

>only learn things that are useful.

You fuckers already got your way 80 years ago and it was a fucking disaster.

britannica.com/topic/life-adjustment-movement

>only learn things kids want to learn

You fuckers already got your way 40 years ago and it was a fucking disaster.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_school_movement

>7th grade
>calculus
lul /sci/ is delusional

That's a good thing.
I would like to debate with my children that their favourite programming language is shit.

>Europe is more white than 60% white America

>3rd grade
>8 year old students
>proofs

What am I even reading

Pythag is used in construction, machining, architecture and just about everything else that has to do with measuring distances. The fuck are you on about, "research only"?

>1. Ageism is a label and is as bad as racism
So it's a useful way to know a lot about a person's natural tendencies using an easy test. So not bad at all. Good to know.

>People who never learned about a subject, don't know about the subject

You don't say

I grew up in the 00s, I'm 23 dude. We're in the work force already. not btw

>[current year]

1. Yes, people are born everyday, but they are still grouped into generations. You're mistaking age groups for generations. Educate yourself on the Strauss–Howe generational theory before you parrot social justice buzzwords.

>Millennial just like every other generation has its goalposts moved every 5 years
Wrong. "Millenial" is a broad term, comprised of late Generation X, Generation Y, and the front end of Generation Z (born 1980 to 1999). It is used for anyone who grew up or alongside the Internet and digital age. However, it is much more accurate to break it all up individually.
>The Lost Generation a.k.a Génération au Feu (1880-1900)
>The G.I. Generation a.k.a Greatest Generation (1900-1925)
>The Silent Generation a.k.a Lucky Few (1925-1940)
>Baby Boomers a.k.a The "Me" Generation (1946-1964)
>Generation Jones a.k.a Late Boomers (1954-1965)
>Generation X a.k.a MTV Generation (1965-1980)
>Generation Y a.k.a Millennials, Generation McGuire, Boomerang Generation (1980-1995)
>Generation Z (1995-2010)

3. Generation Y does exist. They are the same as the Millennial buzzword that's used incorrectly so often. But it sounds like you're mistaking Generation Z for Generation Y. You've been reading up on poorly researched Gen X juvenoia propaganda such as pic related, which I advise you stop doing.

4. I agree, but the childish response is only hurting your position. If I were a mod, I would ban you on the count of being a relentless faggot.

There are schools already that do that.

>Cred Forums will never pass future middle school.

8 year olds used to study out of Euclid's Elements for the last 2000 years before math education went soft.

You proved my point. Not everyone is an architect or in construction. Niche teachings for niche fields.

Reminds me of this post about Common Core. The entire education system is entirely outdated. I think Ken Robinson has already explained this.

Kek

Slight kek.

Or jobs could start requiring 8th grade educations and enrollment in night classes.

>stock dividend payouts
Meme company, disregarded.

nuclear physics for 11th graders? right.

>learning stats and diffeq without algebra and calculus
>people ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS

False. Children are incapable of understanding many of those concepts until they reach a certain age. Most children can't even grasp algebra until they're 14.

>all these "adults" who think calculus is hard

Well, I'm not much fan of backup plans but if I did have plan it would be to. Unpack all of my things and place them in a tiny square, where all things must go. And then I would ride the yellow ponies into the seas of goodness and hardships and such much w ith distress for the good of the Lord.

I teach high school math, calculus is very hard for about 90% of people, and there's no way you could teach it to a class of 12 year old.

What's you're point?

this was written by an autistic retard who has never once had to try and educate an American classroom

>Most children can't even grasp algebra until they're 14.

huffingtonpost.com/rave-mehta/reclaiming-our-world-rank_b_6413910.html
>How I Taught a 6-Year-Old Algebra in Four Months
>I was asked to tutor a 6-year old boy named Brad, who was starting first grade, for an hour a night for four nights a week. Brad was your average kid who came from divorced parents with a single mom who was so busy working to keep food on the table, that she would feed him microwave dinners and use the TV or gameboy to keep him distracted while she worked to keep up with the house. When he was with his father, he received even less attention. He had a lot of suppressed anger which would often erupt into temper tantrums and other behavioral issues including a self-defeating attitude. He also had a hard time focusing on anything except the next game he wanted to play and was diagnosed with ADHD. When I started with him, his class was learning single digit addition (2 + 3 = 5)

>In addition to solving for basic algebra equations, Brad (remember, he's only 6 years old) also learned to graph various equations, calculate the areas of squares, rectangles, and triangles, work with money, measure time and more by the time December rolled around and his 4 month semester was over
>The social impact on Brad was also fascinating. After 1 month, Brad's original attitude of not wanting to go to school and always coming back sad or depressed, began to shift to being excited and wanting to go to school. After 2 months, when he was asked how his day went, he would always report something positive. After 3 months, he was much more centered, very social and made friends easily. In the 4th month, he exuded confidence and even talked a bully down from harassing his classmates
>At this pace, I believe I could have carried him to calculus by 4th grade

If a 1st grader with fucking ADHD can go 8 times that pace just fine with an hour a day, 4 days a week. 4th graders have no damn excuse

I seriously doubt that a 6 year old has conceptual understanding of algebra. There are always exceptions, but this simply is not possible for almost all 6 year olds. Also most 4th graders aren't to blame for the fact that the schools system does not fulfil their needs.

One on one tuition with a trained tutor is an advantage that very few children will experience.

>Why can't all kids do math like this literal autistic!?!?
Wewlad

>>The social impact on Brad was also fascinating. After 1 month, Brad's original attitude of not wanting to go to school and always coming back sad or depressed, began to shift to being excited and wanting to go to school. After 2 months, when he was asked how his day went, he would always report something positive. After 3 months, he was much more centered, very social and made friends easily. In the 4th month, he exuded confidence and even talked a bully down from harassing his classmates

If everyone did this, Cred Forums wouldn't exist.

Education doesn't stop after high school. Desire to learn was a big part of life in some of the nicer ancient societies. Why don't we try it?

>how to reclaim our world rank
article about stepping in and providing what the degnerate nigger filth parents parents should be providing. Who would have thunk? Oh right the people are portrayed as being backwards racist xenophobes bigots by those who make money selling the destruction of western society.

>If a 1st grader with fucking ADHD
That's code for mommy and/or daddy figured out how they could get cheap pharmaceutical grade amphetamine by complaining that their 1st grader acts like a 1st grader. It's okay I'm sure they use the extra energy productively. Sometimes you need that extra boost to neglect your child the way god intended.

I'm 30, I still know more about technology than basically anyone around me, although I'm always prepared to learn from those who might know more. I speak 5 languages (I'm not English native).

People who grow up for their kids to handle tech stuff for them are basically lazy or where less knowledgeable at any age to start with. I have my younger cousins ask me for help when Windows refuses to boot for fuck's sake.

Exactly, I read a research paper every single day. By read I mean I allocate two blocks of 50 minutes where I do "deep learning" meaning I shut off everything and just focus on completely understanding what I'm reading. This often means trying to prove their proofs before they do in the paper, or extending their paper with my own tiny prototype. Doesn't matter if I run out of time, I tried enough and ergo learn. Every single day.

I am ready for the class of 2020, good luck catching up with me I'll have read 1500 or so papers by then

>Exactly, I read a research paper every single day
That doesn't say much when a lot of that shit is just muh 0.95.

You could if all of those 12 year olds had an adequate education to create a foundation of mathematical understanding needed to learn calculus.

I remember getting "ink has spilled on these math equations, what is the covered up number" worksheets back in the 3rd and 4th grade and we were expected to do them without ever having a class on algebra. Algebra is not that hard to grasp.

absolutely 100% this

> highschools already teach C++
I'm sure they only teach the core, unusable part with neat little classes, just like with the rest of this crap.

I mean, is university math level shit and many smart and dedicated adults go crazy from hat workload alone, without other HS stuff. It's bullshit that kids are gonna know this kind of stuff.

I know this is bait but there's no way kids can understand all that shit, they'll just learn enough to pass and then forget everything about them the next month as they already do with useless subjects

>00s kids are leaving high school with a solid programming base.
CANT
MAKE
THIS
SHIT
UP

End your life immediately, please.

t. autist

>should we find a way to get them to be more enthusiastic about learning?
schools can't compete with modern entertainment. vidya etc. is just too enjoyable for people to care about school

>all you have to learn is
weird symbol weird symbol weird symbol
alright then, sounds easy
give it a rest

>oh yeah, we have lots of RAM, go ahead and use java and uncompressed assets, who cares, people will pay for the program anyways
java can be very fast, don't blame the language for terrible development practices

>it's note meaning full because of
fucking kek, after dozens of years of effort we can barely get robots to open doors and computers can barely recognize common elements in pictures and you think this shit is actually going to happen anytime soon?
keep dreaming

>home schooling
it's not evident at all which percentages are multiplicative and which are additive
i. e. are two deductions of 10%
is that 1x 0.9 x 0.9
or 1 x (1-0.1-0.1)
the text refers to total, total sale, sale and gross. The first three are equivalent, but i wouldn't expect a 7th grader to know what gross and net means.
Anyway, it seems bad to only teach additive percentage.
>Pythagorean Theorem is a specialized subject mainly used for those who are using it in research
pic related

>repeating the same response to everyone who disagrees
You act like the autist, to be honest.

>[rant about ADHD]
wew lad, some kids behave very weird because of ADHD and it's pretty obvious that something's not right.
Also, kids only get very little(low body weight) amphetamines.

what else am i gonna reply? your message carried no information

>implying drooling 3rd graders would care about any of that shit

>implying (((modern))) day children could ever learn half of those subjects

You're fucking retarded. Go deal with the average normie these days, they wouldn't even be able to comprehend a for loop.

Move out of my parents house and start living off my kids.

>t. Eternal Neet

Nope. They will know more about current CONSUMER technology, but that's about it.

Well I know I am out of touch

I remembered the days when they switched the phones to push-button. Me and my husband were so angry the old rotary stopped working. It was structural planned obsolesces, just another money grab by the Ma Bell.

that is how I eventually got it
you see the fundamentals of algebra and the fundamentals of calculus actually conflict, a very big issue which none of my teachers addressed. It wasn't till I threw out all of my algebra knowledge that I got calculus and later diffeq and started getting good grades in those classes.

Obviously you should know single variable calculus beforehand.

>>kids in the future will leave high school knowing more about technology than you do
I'd fucking hope so. All my school taught me was how to use Google and Yahoo (that was literally a class) and Word and Excel.

Rotary phone still work you tard

this.
xD end ur life!!!

Invest your money.. on drugs.

Sure I may be acting as an old grandma on the Internet, but seriously you try to getting that new Verzion fiber optic cable to work with it. The coveter they give times out because of the slow signal and direct connection is not going to work.

we had a powerpoint, word, and excel classes in high school. being lazy i only took the powerpoint and word class. fortunately, we had an auto-cad class. two in fact, but again, being lazy i only took the first one and not the advanced one.

the laziness and unwillingness to push myself fucked me over later on, though.

What is so dumb about that?

I did it once in a hack-off game.

Friend's virus deleted many of the drivers crippling my the laptop, but his code was old and didn't knock out the new touch screen driver. After modifying some core config files I managed to use data extracted from his code to bypass his firewall and upload my master hard kill code which I had been saving for just such a hard fight. In the end my laptop was badly corrupted, but his wouldn't even turn on to register inputs. We then return them to the ComSci teacher for new ones and talked about the rules for our next battle.

>>False. Children are incapable of understanding many of those concepts until they reach a certain age. Most children can't even grasp algebra until they're 14.
>lel Jean Piaget meme

Do you follow what Freud said too?

>fortunately, we had an auto-cad class. two in fact

wat?

>they'll just learn enough to pass and then forget everything about them the next month

Which is why there are standardized tests to fail them

>Lets live with a problem forever and not fix it

we had two classes that revolved around using autoCAD. they were essentially drafting classes, except the first one didn't really teach any legitimate drafting standards. it was mostly recreating drawings and submitting them for grading. none of them were too crazy, and later in the semester we also used the architectural package, but i don't think any of the stuff we did with it was graded.

i imagine the advanced autoCAD course was more like a legitimate drafting course, but due to laziness i didn't take it. the excel course was probably fairly useful too, but once again, i was too lazy to take it. the two autoCAD courses and the excel course were probably the most legitimate computer/technology related classes we had available.

the powerpoint class was a joke. it was basically a presentation class except you couldn't use any of the pre-built backgrounds or other shit for powerpoint. it had to be made from scratch. the word class was just playing with formatting and tables to recreate flyers and other shit like that. both the classes were fucking useless and i forgot everything as soon as they were over. the only thing i remember is that the teacher from the powerpoint class was hot and in her 20s.

my laziness in high school fucked me over pretty bad. my high school really didn't offer that many useful classes, i.e. i recall us only having 3 ap classes: calc, english and chemistry. most of the electives were shit classes that no one cared for, even the teachers. i could have easily enrolled in all 3 AP courses without overloading myself, but instead i filled my senior year with bullshit classes and then got my ass handed to me in my first semester of college.

i'm in a phd program now but unfortunately laziness has been ingrained in me. i'm in my 4th year and it looks like there's no way in hell that i'll finish in less than 5.

Math is incredibly useful

t. that asshole who asked the teacher 'when will I ever need this?'

>you see the fundamentals of algebra and the fundamentals of calculus actually conflict
[citation needed]

off to the death camp with you buddy.

there is no authority that makes generation range years because the whole thing is made up as you will find every site is different by much too large of a year margin.

>millennial is a broad term
says who, you? what entitles you to say what is gen what and not. You and any other "culture age expert" cannot be in charge of determining what a generation is because they are garbage labels. every site has a different chart that disagrees with every other site. in every other situation when you have no agreeing charts, you call it "bullshit".

You know you cannot get away with your, this, or any chart on age because to do so is to have something like a "blackness" chart where you try to classify on how certain darkness should use a certain word when it doesn't matter. Time would never publish something like that but age is still okay. Kids have always lived with their parents throughout time because there have always been losers, the problem is that attention spans are short and nobody remembers more than 5 years ago so they take the current example as being brand new. I know a lot of people who were 25 in the 80s still living with their parents but now when the same percentage of 25 year olds are doing it now, suddenly "all millennials are still living with their parents"

In 13 years when the alpha generation (or whatever you want to call it) becomes teenagers the goalposts will move again as it will be cool to be a millennial. The meme is to simply hate on whoever is a teenager up until 25 or so and then everyone just forgets.

Why are there no generations before the first one in your list, why is it only something that happened this century? because the whole thing is bullshit.

All those so called generations of yours are buzzwords.

>list mentions baby boomers as "The "Me" Generation"
>TIME says millennials are the "ME" generation
this is what we call "the age meme"

Cred Forums is the mini me generation