I've never seen a microphone thread on here before. What are you guys using currently?

I've never seen a microphone thread on here before. What are you guys using currently?

I have a shitty clip on zalmon mic and no one can ever really hear me lately.

Thinking of the samson go mic. The snow balls too big.

Or should I just build my own kit rather than use a USB one.

Show me your set ups

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rMguyy5CG6w
amazon.com/Zoom-H2N-H2n-Handy-Recorder/dp/B005CQ2ZY6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have a blue Yeti and I hate it, hate everything about it. especially hate the "built in DAC" part of it.

imho usb mics are for kids and gamers, maybe the occasional podcaster.

Now I use a Zoom h2n if I'm on the go
and a handful of Sure sm58's if I'm at home.

Looking for a good pair of xlr mics for recording a grand piano any ideas?

Eh, I am just a gamer. Not doing any real recording. I just feel like the yeti is too much for what im looking for. Just casual VOIP type stuff

Do you hate the DAC part of it because it doesn't give you control over your own recording samples, or is it just fucking shitty.

fair enough, yeah I'm a musician and I do real vocal and instrument recording so I probably ask a bit more of my mics than you might

I hate the DAC because it hijacks my computers audio ins and outs. Usually when I'm recording I have a computer with an audio interface handling all the i/o. mics and instruments in, xlr outs go to my monitors.
When I plug in the yeti it hijacks all the mic in ports, rendering my interface in's useless, then it hijacks the out's as well so I can "conveniently monitor myself directly from the mic using headphones" which is hella stupid if you ask me. I can hear whats going on because I'm recording live and its out loud. The mic lets you monitor yourself pre processing or post processing but really both are stupid and I don't want any of that circuitry in the microphone I'm trying to record with.
It literally routs the entire computer audio through the mic's DAC

even if you had no issues with the i/o, the yeti would def be way overkill. Its way too sensitive for anything less than vocal booth recording in my opinion. actually all large diaphragm condenser mics I find are this way, so probably avoid those

I use a cheap webcam for the mic. Works fine for just voice chat.

I would get a cheap 3.5mm computer mic. Some of them sound great, loads better than a phone mic. and computers and phones are already equip to take 3.5mm mics without fuss. and without having to override any pre-existing settings, they just plug and play

Neewer makes good, cheap mics. NW700 is my go-to. You'll probably need two 48v Phantoms, if you don't already

Using a samson co1u pro for discord and the occasional video i make for friend entertaining purposes and i really need to get a stand for it, but i can't find any that would clamp on to the edge of my table sadly. Also are shock mounts a meme?

I know nothing about audio, but I would love to be able to be able to record sounds outside or a lecture in school or the halls in a church service, and I have no idea how to do it, when I have tried it with smartphones they always come out muffled, what do.

I have a cheap behringer condenser mic
It's XLR and of course condenser mics kick ass for sound quality, but I hate my voice and have no reason to have it recorded
It makes for one hell of an instrument mic though

Have you actually tried right clicking the little sound icon in the bottom right?
You can have your computer remember to always disable a certain DAC

I had the Samson I liked it. Though all I used it for was games and messing around with voice recordings. I gave it away to a friend along with my desktop when I moved

Disable the ins/outs separately*
But like you said, it's USB so it needs to have a DAC onboard anyways, that's your poor shopping decision

I have a blue yeti and dont know fucking shit about recording, but anytime I record something into audactity it sounds like absolute trash

never had this issue, with my yeti. I plug it in, it acts as a mic, end of story.

I get gain control on the mic itself so i can easily dial it in so normal speaking has no/minimal room noise

as for sensitivity, I find it perfect, because i dont have a mic stand, its a good 2 feet away from me but i can talk into it from here and expect good results. Hell, not even looking at the mic and talking it easily picks up my speech.

but yea for most people and most situations its overkill, but I wanted off computer control of the mic without buying an audio interface or any other bullshit like that and I got what I paid for, sony makes a mic that is as good a quality as the yeti without the controls for around 40-60$

Don't have this issue either, set up the mic to have all background noise flat with its gain, get a pop filter, and use the directional position, records decently every time.

I have some sound dampening foal i can put around it when I talk to cut off bounce even more.

nope, 3.5 is the most finicky fucking input in existence on computers. I have never had one that worked all the time, hell, i had one that went 2 months of thinking the mic was broken before i found out the issue was the 3.5 had a software collision which stopped it from working as an input. If you are going to use 3.5, never use onboard.

stand alone voice recorder.
I personally use an olympus but my brother got a sony 533 and it has the better mic, however, interface wise i prefer my olympus. an external mic for the thing would bring sound quality up on both of them

Now, lets get into some fun.

If you have a mic stand and a pop filter already, you get my favorite ghetto as fuck solution, the rock band mic. These things are fucking fantastic, and because they were so widely sold, you can get them for sub 10$ on the regular, and are easily a step up from webcam audio and most sub 20$ mics. the downside is they are sensitive as all fuck to any kind of touching the mic, so you cant use it in your hands. all in all, you got the setup already, its hard to say no to, you able to get the setup for sub 20$, it's also hard to say no to.

here is a cheap as fuck mic rundown video
youtube.com/watch?v=rMguyy5CG6w

I want you to note almost ever mic at 2 feet away sounds like absolute shit, so you will need a stand, you will need to bring it closer to you taking any of these mics and boosting them from cheap20-30$ and pushing them closer to 50-55. I also recommend a bungee setup, which may cost an additional 10-20$, or if you get a stand, some foam so sound doesn't travel would be best.

I have a yeti and I have a cherry blue keyboard, so when i use to bottom out, the vibration went through the desk to the mic. after o ringing the fucker, that's a far lesser issue now, and could be 100% eliminated with a foam pad under it.

also keep in mind, if you need phantom power, that will cost you 10-20$ extra, so the mic in that guys rundown he recommends goes from 25$ up to around 60$ when alls said and done.

What audio interface should I waste all of my money on?

I dont into mics, but Ive been eyeballing the snowball mic, the normal one not the ice. I like the aluminum one, can anyone tell me if its actually metal or if its plastic painted to look like aluminum. I keep getting mixed answers.

Also how sensitive are these things? Id like to have it at half volume and it hear me close to it fine but Id also like to record shit from the other side of the room without a bunch of noise

I liked the way the Samson worked and sounded, but unfortunately the one I got had a high pitched whine pretty badly so I had to return it, and got the ATR-2500 instead. Just werks

all snowballs are plastic, the only difference between the ice and regular is the pickup pattern switch

they are stupid sensitive, all condenser mics are

Well fuck. I really wanted it to be metal.. but I guess I'm not going to find that anytime after 1964 though.
Are they actually good mics or are they a meme?

yeah they are damn good

>stand alone voice recorder.

Is that better than say... something like pic related

well, my olympus has a few months of standby battery time and about 20-80 hours of record, it also runs on 2 AAA batteries, so replacing them is simple.

the sony one i mentioned above uses 1 AAA battery, but is able to charge the battery in the device so it never needs to be replaced.

Audio quality wise, the is likely worlds better then any sub 100$ voice recorder will be... as i look this up, its a proprietary thing for iphones, and it has fairly bad reviews.

on the other hand my voice recorder will take any 3.5 mm line in, so any microphone is technically useable, if i got a 20-30$ mic accessory for it, it would likely sound better then what you are showing there.

If you got money to burn, an above user said this
amazon.com/Zoom-H2N-H2n-Handy-Recorder/dp/B005CQ2ZY6
listening to what it is able to do off youtube, as in someone talking into it, if I ever need a new mic from my blue, ill likely get one of these as its at least as high a quality, while also being able to be portable, I do a lot of dication through programs like dragon due to my hands giving out, so being able to have that quality on the go would be a great feature.