Does Cred Forums read science fiction?

Does Cred Forums read science fiction?

What are your favorites?

Foundation is horrible and anyone who disagrees is wrong. Diamond Age is the superior literary experience.

>Foundation is horrible and anyone who disagrees is wrong
It was written right around WW2, motherfucker. Foundation was ridiculously ahead of its time, Asimov is a genius.

That's not far from saying something like: The Commodore 64 is horrible because it's older/slower than what came later.

His robot short stories are amazing. The stupid robot crime novels along with foundation are bad. He can't write novels. Much better at short stories.

>He can't write novels. Much better at short stories
Fair criticism when you compare it to more contemporary sci-fi. Foundation is basically a collection of short stories though.

>His robot short stories are amazing.
If you want amazing robot short stories, check out Stanislaw Lem - The Cyberiad. Some of the best sci-fi out there, the translations are something else too.

Baka question

Hard to believe someone posted this and actually found it funny.

you just got trolled キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━

I'll check it out.

I'm not sure what you mean. Foundation is a trilogy of novels.

I read most of pic related. Wish I didn't on the novels.

I should add that yes some were based on older short stories but the short stories were expanded and rewritten into novels.

>Stanislaw Lem - The Cyberiad.

I love this book. I don't speak or read Polish, but the English translation of this is fucking hilarious - the translator did a great job on the sarcastic jokes and overall flow of text.

I love this book so much.

Anyone else think sci-fi movies/tv really fucking suck?

I really don't understand why with so many amazing books in the genre, I think it's at least partially to do with how expensive it is to do all the cgi in a proper scifi.

The Space Odyssey series is easily my favorite.

I thought foundation was the most innovative set of books I'd ever read.

When you think about it, telling a 10,000 year long story is quite a challenge, and the way Asimov pops in and out of different periods is really great.

You could complain about the choppy prose, but honestly I think that services the architecture and gives the book a unique tone. I've never read anything like the Foundation series and I don't think there is an analog in any other genre for the type of story it tells.

>and the way Asimov pops in and out of different periods is really great.

No it's a nuisance. It just makes it 10 times more hard to follow. I dropped the series after the fist book. It went to shit immediately after.

His Master's Voice, Fiasco and Solaris are my favorite Lems, ordered from most dry to most relaxed style of writing.

It's a bit out there.

Dune was very good.
Ender's Game (and Shadow) was good.
The Forever War was good.
Ready Player One was decent.
Ringworld was ok-ish.

Asimov is excellent. Just started Diamond Age.

Reading Greg Egan - Distress now. I'm also halfway through the Clockwork Rocket trilogy but it's pretty boring at times, loved most of his other stuff though.Also recently finished Solaris (very good) and just started reading some PKD's Frolix 8.

I love it too, I can shill Lem all day because he's fucking creative beyond belief.
The translation is GOAT, no contest. To carry that kind of fluidity and humor into English requires absolute masterful literary skills. Especially when you understand how much priority Slavic languages place on word-play and tricks. English inherently lacks that emphasis but you can still taste it in the translations.

Polish sci-fi is the real fucking deal and almost feels like an entire genre of its own.

Nice

>Stanislaw Lem - The Cyberiad
Dropped it after like 2 chapters/stories, really not feeling it.

To add to this: Neuromancer was trash. I tried, really hard, but I gave up.

1. Rama series
2. Foundation
3. various

Don't bother disagreeing, Scott Card is alright too.

My favorites by the big three:
>The Gods Themselves
>The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
>Rendezvous with Rama series

le upboated

This, except 2061 which sucked.

Like'd

I'm about to start this series, i've heard so many good things about the prose.

My butthole is ready.

Link to .pdf, please?

>This, except 2061 which sucked.
I'm still about 2/3 through 2010. Is 3001 better than 2061, please don't spoil

give up and read rama, so much better.

anyone else reading/read the safehold series? it's pretty legit when it comes to the technical details

It's seriously good. It's probably the best piece of fiction that I've ever read. Your butthole is not ready because there's no way it can be.

>Doesn't know how to use libgen or bookz

You're only good for giving away games.

Who loves Culture series here?

Banks creates such an interesting and optimistic world that also feels believable.
Very different from most space-opera out there, also some great characters.

I'm reading Excession now. I've heard good things about Use of Weapons but placed it on hold because I heard the timeline is a mindfuck and I just want to relax into something comfy and digestible.

I'm reading Starship Troopers again desu.

Thanks.

I second this. Stop by /lit/ and check out the scifi fantasy general.

if you like sst then check out armor, by john steakley, it's simmilar but different enough to be enjoyable

Interesting in the details yes, but the characters and overall plot after a few books become almost oppressively bland

yeah, I dropped it halfway through the second book I think, just thought it did a good job with the details though