Tfw when you get a linux vm running with gpu pass-through and hardware acceleration

>tfw when you get a linux vm running with gpu pass-through and hardware acceleration
>3 monitor setup with one monitor having the linux VM full-screened at all times
>feels like a dualboot setup all running simultaneously and even has low cpu utilization

I fucking love 2016. The VMs feel practically native now and bash can even be embedded into the native o/s terminal.
I dreamed of this shit 10 years ago. Anyone else have a setup like this for personal use?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.technet.microsoft.com/virtualization/2015/11/19/discrete-device-assignment-description-and-background/
askubuntu.com/questions/139320/enable-graphics-card-in-virtualbox
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>gpu pass-through and hardware acceleration
Can you do that with Hyper-V?

what is the best VM software on windows?

VMWare or VirtualBox? Some other alternative?

Yes, Windows VMs with hardware acceleration are nice. Wouldn't be able to play Illusion games without them :^)

No

Hyper-V

wew

what do you use your computer for? posting maymays on le reddit?

I'm a computer engineer who works on dev projects in spare time.

>posting maymays on le reddit?
I get a good laugh at the Cred Forums superiority circle-jerk.
You faggots sure have shit up this board by combining contrarian whines with reddit mentions in half the posts.

>Hyper-V doesn't support gpu pass-trough and hardware
>Is the best software on windows
Pick one f.a.m

>tfw cpu doesn't support vt-d
:

did you use a guide to do it? i want to do it but i'm not sure where to start. is your gpu amd or nvidia? i heard nvidia gimps some shit so you buy a quadro too and it makes gpu passthrough not work well if you don't pay the business tax

>No
Why are you lying?

blogs.technet.microsoft.com/virtualization/2015/11/19/discrete-device-assignment-description-and-background/

I have an nvidia GPU.

Yeah I used many, many guides. It's linux, so a clusterfuck of googling and tinkering is expected, unfortunately.

askubuntu.com/questions/139320/enable-graphics-card-in-virtualbox
The above was one of the more helpful threads.

what? the entirety of that is devoted to enabling the gpu on virtualbox. are you retarded or pretending you did something you didn't?

>are you retarded or pretending you did something you didn't?

user I was referring to the post by "Blanca". Don't be so quick to shitpost next time.
Why would I fake GPU passthrough? Does your autism think of this as a plausible idea?
GPU passthrough with guest Linux does not have that much info around, because almost all tutorials are getting the pci passthrough into a guest Windows VM (the opposite).

I can't say any single tutorial worked perfectly from start to end, which is not unexpected with Linux. Then I had to fix DPI issues which was a clusterfuck in of itself.

oh. you're running it on a windows host. no wonder it's working with nvidia. that's the dumbest thing i read all week. the entire point of using a linux host and windows vm is to get linux's stability and security while still having access to good gpu drivers

what you've done gives you a lot of work and literally nothing in return. you could accomplish the same with just a virtualbox vm open on a second monitor, especially since people who need linux at the desktop mostly need it as a programming environment

>wow! two monitors! now i can get 2x the work done!

Too bad studies show most people get 1/2 the work done on 2 monitor setups.

I don't believe this going on the basis of my work place, software house with around 150 on software floor.

Everyone has 2 monitors at least, some have company laptops so effectively 3 and sometimes I struggle to keep everything i need in view with 2 monitors.

>what you've done gives you a lot of work and literally nothing in return

Somewhat fair point. It was more work than I initially expected but I still think it was worth it. I can take a snapshot too and never deal with configuring again.

>you could accomplish the same with just a virtualbox vm
I wish I could, but I can't. Without GPU pass-through or hardware acceleration tweaks the VM feels very bottle-necked and fucking laggy, especially on my 1440p monitor. Dragging terminal around in XFCE is like a fucking slideshow. Anything with animation feels like the VM is a time machine into the late 90s.

With the tweaks, the linux vm feels fucking native. Smooth as fuck, efficient as fuck, really feels like i'm running two operating systems natively, simultaneously. The difference is huge.

> windows as host
> linux as guest

>not the other way around

enjoy your active hours, forced shutdown and updates, etc

Google mandates the use of single monitor for production so I don't think they do that for no reason. Certainly not because they can't afford them.

>Too bad studies show most people get 1/2 the work done on 2 monitor setups.
But that's wrong. Studies show an increase of productivity for both creative and analytical professionals with a second and third monitor. After the third, however, there is no appreciable benefit.

These are the tools and programs I have open 100% of the time in order to do minimum work needed.

- An IDE for changes
- NotePad++ for notes, quick changes and writing/editing scripts for automation
- browser for to see scrum board to pick up work.
- A couple of small terminal windows that emulate the operating system our core software runs off, these are for unit testing changes.
- A remote desktop to a server for managing various things
- at least 2 windows explorer directories open to version control and also downloads (downloads are documents used for work, DL via our scrum board)

Then I usually have open a spreadsheet and a word document which details changes to be made to customer products.

If I had one monitor and I had to keep switching between the emulators to test, the IDE and the documents to work from, then to the browser to comment on tickets that need to be commented on, and also then occasionally opening version history of our branches/forks to review changes and merge in. Not a chance.

So woopie for google but in my place of work, that is simply just not viable and I quite frankly, don't believe you. Post where these findings are?

>I dreamed of this shit 10 years ago
but it has been possible for about 10 years now ?

They also have slides in their office. Devs at my office usually have two 21" monitors or a single 27". It boils down to preference. Having one monitor doesn't magically make you more productive.

>Forced shutdown and updates
I've never had a forced shutdown. The updates only apply for me when I choose to restart the machine which takes a whopping 10 seconds. Are the shutdowns forced if you don't restart for months or something? That's fine with me considering how many dumb fucks created the XP malware market because they didn't update their o/s or take basic precaution.

Disabling the updates is also not hard unless you are incapable of basic google searching, yes even on the latest iterations. Do we still meme and go full contrarian on vanilla operating systems?

>B-but telemetry
Yeah this is easily fixed too, even with just a basic firewall like tinywall.

I used linux natively for years but I ran out of time to have things work consistently the way I want them to.
I remember trying to get my wireless usb stick to work on debian, it was so fucking retarded and I needed probably a dozen commands and multiple edits of system files.

To each his own though, Linux is great if you don't mind taking time to fix things up or don't care to make your o/s cozy.

I have a similar setup, running windows 7 as a guest on kvm to play visual novels.

>GPU Passthrough
>Possible for about 10 years now.

Yeah fuck off. I remember the state of virtual machines 10 years ago, it felt like you were opening a portal to an older raspberry pi VNC. Things were slow as fuck and felt completely gimped compared to the host o/s.

Lucky man. My mobo and CPU don't support VT-d.

iommu was introduced in 2007 and i've been running qemu/kvm vms with gpu passthrough for ~5 years now

just because you didn't know how to do it doesn't mean no one knew/did it

>i've been running qemu/kvm vms with gpu passthrough for ~5 years now
forget that, i'ts been 7 years: 2 years xen, and 5 years kvm

Almost no one did it back then because it wasn't worth it, even PCI pass-through today is hardly used in a personal setting and only by enthusiasts.

The viability of virtual machines has increased dramatically because of the natural hardware advancements.
I remember having Feisty Fawn (Ubuntu 7.04, ubuntu was actually respected and decent back then) in a VM on my reasonably powerful computer at the time, it felt like a gimped toy in usability and throttled the host o/s a lot even when doing nothing.

Like I said, my VM feels native today. As if I had two machines running separately and integrated with one of those cursor and keyboard sharing utilities.

while it was a hassle a few years ago (xen was especially horrible) gfx passthrough worked back then, and with gfx passthrough + core pinning VMs back then worked fine.

nvidia even advertised gpu passthrough with their gpus back in ~2010 (quadro 2000 multi os) but you are right, it has mostly been used by enthusiasts.

To those with native Linux and guest Windows with GPU passthrough: How well does the Windows VM run?
Is the GPU output close to that of native windows (Give a rough percentage)? Do games run perfectly once you get the setup working or is there some kind of inconsistency between the passthrough and gpu-utilized software on the guest VM?

>How well does the Windows VM run?
native performance, probably 2-3 fps less in a game, but if you actually give a shit about 2 or 3 fps you have other problems

>Is the GPU output close to that of native windows (Give a rough percentage)?
a few years ago it was ~96%, dunno how much it's today

>Do games run perfectly once you get the setup working or is there some kind of inconsistency between the passthrough and gpu-utilized software on the guest VM?
i don't really play games anymore, but when i do once in a while it works fine.

>probably 2-3 fps less in a game
>a few years ago it was ~96%

holy shit that's impressive. I'm guessing if the frame-rate translates this good, the CPU load-balancing across the VM works almost just as well as the GPU pass-through, no?

Is it a pain in the ass to get the GPU passthrough working?

I think I might give this a go tonight, seeing native GPU performance and usage in a VM will give me a boner.

> CPU load-balancing across the VM works almost just as well as the GPU pass-through, no?
if you dedicate (pin) cores to the VM: yes

>Is it a pain in the ass to get the GPU passthrough working?
with (consumer) nvidia cards: yes, with amd cards or nvidia cards that support multios (quadro) : nope

I'm not saying you're wrong, but Google does it for productivity purposes and trains around the premise it works.

People actually claim that single monitor is more productive?

What the fuck? How? I feel totally gimped with one monitor. All three companies i've worked at (fortune 50s) have multi-monitors.

Someone please explain Google's logic or give me some more stats. I can't imagine doing power-user/dev work with one monitor.

>fortune 50s
That's why they're not 500s

>fortune 50s
>That's why they're not 500s

Uh what the fuck? Ignoring the fact that you seemingly prioritize smaller companies, Fortune 50s are still a subset of the Fortune 500s.

Explain user. Probably troll but I don't even see the humor in it.

you must be new

this board wsa always shit

can i do what op did with an i5-2400?

>GPU pass through on windows
No, there's your problem senpai

>this board was always shit
Sure, but it's gone to even more shit. That's the relevant part.

>you must be new
I'm not sure if should laugh at this.

The reddit blame-game, alone, has blatantly decreased the quality of this board.

You need support in cpu and mobo.

wat

source please