Systemd is an NSA botnet

How's it feel to know Redhat and the NSA cucked Linux again?

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
news.softpedia.com/news/Linus-Torvalds-Block-All-Code-from-Systemd-Developer-for-the-Linux-Kernel-435714.shtml
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conspiracy
freedom-to-tinker.com/2013/10/09/the-linux-backdoor-attempt-of-2003/
youtube.com/watch?v=S9YmaNuvw5U
microsoft.com/northafrica/careers/positions/de.htm
lwn.net/Articles/576078/
google.com/search?q=wfd site:redhat.com)
agwa.name/blog/post/how_to_crash_systemd_in_one_tweet
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

PAID MS SHILL THREAD

Did anyone ever read through systemd's source code to see if there was anything fishy about it?

I keep reading all the conspiracy theories about how it's a botnet but noone ever pointed out how it did it.

Something worth considering:

Any time there is something posted on the internet critical of systemd, the shills that come out of the woodwork never address any technical issues directly. They are clearly not even familiar with init, let alone its much more complicated "replacement" systemd. At best they can lamely link or copypasta. Does this betray a certain low-dollar shillop? Certainly if they really wished to be taken seriously they could offer better technical banter, shit even their name calling is atrocious and wouldn't even be considered offensive on Reddit.

>This thread again
Same response:

Give me one (ONE) reason for me to uninstall systemd from my desktop.

>protip
YOU
STILL
CAN'T

These are all tinfoil retards, systemd is adopted by debian, other relevant distros, and even by fsf

Well it's because for some reason it's cool to hate on systemd. It might be because poettering is an insufferable cunt.

Hello poettering, here to damage control?

Systemd has no technical advantage over init and uses far more resources.

Also it's a mish mash of binary tools, XML and even Javascript config files, etc, and none of it can be hand maintained. You'd better pray it doesn't fuck up on you (again).

NSA-related conspiracy theories aside, it always struck me as weird that systemd is literally the only open-source project I know of where the mere mention of it attracts a shitload of shills ready to defend it and insult and berate anyone who even slightly criticizes it.

Tinfoil losers are incapable to read source codes so they can't point out the non existent botnet.

Instead they are making irrelevant tinfoil blogs to appear cool.

Cool lie, systemd shill. I will never install your systemdicks.

Busy making 6 figures, NEET hehehe

It's almost like somebody with a lot of power, money, and influence, has decided to bend all their efforts toward getting this software as widely used as humanly possible.

Creepy.

>read through systemd's source code
well good luck with that

>Making up lies on the internet

No one cares about you, price neckbeard

Firefox is a botnet. Libreoffice is a botnet. GNU cat is a botnet.

What only 8.2 million commits and you say it can't be debugged or audited?

Come on, man!

>if I'm too dumb to read codes, I'll just call it a botnet
Neo-Cred Forums

EVERYTHING IS BOTNET

Sure they don't, systemd shill.

systemd is such an unreadable mess it needs to be treated like it's proprietary software.

its simple to understand
>Lennart Poettering

And also it feels like a company project than a community project, it shows how much power red hat have on the Linux world, they can create standarts without much resistance.

>Unreadable mess
First year SE student?

Linux kernel is much larger than systemd, is it also a botnet?

Points in favor of init:
simple
just works
every unix sysadmin can use it
worked fine for all systems up to supercomputers for 40+ years
very low overhead
can be maintained by hand easily

Points in favor of systemd:
?
allows spying (only positive if you're the NSA or one of its corporate partners)

Is systemd more likely to have back doors than selinux? The latter has yet to be audited that I know of.

Not defending systemd but where's your proof it spies on you? This sounds incredibly fabricated.

Both are NSA botnet warez.

If it's compromised it allows full access to all processes started by it. That's what I've gathered at least.

Firefox is a botnet.

It starts all other processes, it is the parent process in the system.

It has root essentially.

>faster boot up
>socket restart
>compatibility with other inits
>latest software compatibility
>just fucking works

Ironically, this

Let's dispense with the myth that systemd just works.

It has had multiple critical security flaws, many of which are still present in various products and some of which will never be updated or fixed.

Init "just works" and has for over 40 years. Are new sysadmins so clueless that they can't into shell scripting? Is this an attempt to make Linux more nigger friendly by Obama?

BSDbabbies too jelly cuz systemd wont work >with their half assed crippled distro

I never said that man, calm down.
What I'm saying is:
Systemd is "too big to audit", I mean, it would need a community effort to debug, check and verify if systemd is doing what's supposed to do and if it is doing in a good and efficient way. I'm not talking about "botnet" or whatever, but systemd is ambitious, it can easily became unstable or just poorly made. And systemd is not stopping at all, it just keeps adding more and more funcionalities, I can understand the pros, but I can't see a way to properly audit and debug all of this.

Running systemd is the equivalent to placing a strange black man's cock in your wife's pussy.

Running it intentionally is like sucking that man off afterward.

cringe

Now that's bait
Linux is a project from the 90, systemd is not even 6 years old

>>>global/rules/6

OP's image is just retarded flame bait though. Pointing out something like heartbleed completely rips away all plausibility from his argument.

It isn't logical, its extremely paranoid, and you could apply that same paranoia to literally any software.

And it is actively maintained unlike some hobby project.

BTFO loser neckbeard

>Systemd is "too big to audit", I mean, it would need a community effort to debug, check and verify if systemd is doing what's supposed to do and if it is doing in a good and efficient way.

This would be ideal, but they would have to wait for systemd's creeping featuritis to subside. It's under too much flux now, by the time an audit was complete half the code will have been replaced.

Also the community would have to checkpoint, freeze, and audit all of its dozens of supporting programs, including XML and even fucking Javascript parsers. It's an impossible task until these programs are all "done." and move into maintenance-mode.

>I'm not talking about "botnet" or whatever, but systemd is ambitious, it can easily became unstable or just poorly made. And systemd is not stopping at all, it just keeps adding more and more funcionalities, I can understand the pros, but I can't see a way to properly audit and debug all of this.

This is why people worry about the botnet aspect of it. Also the NSA's already been poking into it hard core.

>systemd codebase is too large it so it's a botnet
>linux codebase is larger but it's not a botnet
>firefox codebase is larger but it's not a botnet

Are you dumb?

Are you implying you audit the packages you use?

>extremely paranoid
you're forgetting that it's a post-Snowden world and what you call extreme paranoia is now just good common sense.

Cry some more, permavirgin NEET hehehehehe

I never said it's a botnet

You don't?

OP did.

>He posts on Cred Forums
>His ISP logs his browsing pattern and site activity
>His CPU has firmware backdoors
>He thinks he's safe

L M A O

Sorry, I didn't audit Linux kernel and X org before installing them

Maybe because I have a job

I'm not willing to practice technological abstinence because I'm afraid of bugs or security exploits.

Why's it so hard for the systemd developers to stop adding bullshit to their mess already?

>dozens of binaries
>none of which are useful outside systemd
>violates Unix code in multiple ways

inb4 Linux isn't Unix, Linux is a Unix-like OS with a strong Unix-raised userbase who follow the Unix philosophy.

I'm curious, for those of you that don't use systemd what distribution or OS do you use?

There is no secure (as in totally secure) OS. I feel all are compromised at some level. This is just common sense. If there isn't a built in backdoor for something then there is a some kind of vulnerability just waiting to be found.

>Give me one (ONE) reason for me to uninstall systemd from my desktop.

it's garbage?

Slackware's the gold standard user.

They've manage to resist a lot of the bullshit trends and keep their organization unpolluted.

Otherwise try a BSD, if you like more stable software.

Actually, I never said that
large codebase = botnet

What I'm saying that big project + fast development = hard to audit and debug

I don't think you can compare Firefox to systemd, I don't use Firefox myself, but I don't think Mozilla tries to add dozens of funcionalities that were not even close to the original project like systemd does, so auditing systemd can be a little harder

Why don't you get excited when you read the systemd changelog?

Software that doesn't change gets depreciated by newer software, that's just darwinism buddy.

slackware is immune to your systemd botnet/virus

So, it logically follows that you should seek out and run the most backdoor infested OS you can find?

No, no.

Sure thing, remember when everyone got pissed off because Mozilla integrated some shitty french video chat client that was impossible to disable?

>Using a distro with systemdicks

>inb4 Linux isn't Unix, Linux is a Unix-like OS with a strong Unix-raised userbase who follow the Unix philosophy.
Yeah, the 0.1% of people who use Linux as their main desktop OS might feel that way, but the rest of the world uses Linux because it works, and they don't give a shit about some ancient neckbeard's outdated philosophy

It's not that hard to concile both, I suggest pomodoro

>trying to prove that systemd isn't a bloated botnet
>compares it favorably to Firefox, which is a bloated botnet
wew lad

It's objectively the best init system.

While I don't like systemd, believing that it's been compromised by the NSA simply because it's sponsored by Redhat is just stupid.

But Mozilla is lawful good free as in freedom.

OP literally said "Systemd is an NSA botnet"

I compared it to Firefox because the argument that a large codebase means you can't audit it is stupid, when there are much larger codebases that are audited.

>too 1337 for botnet
>Posts on 4chinzz with his ISP

>the rest of the world uses Linux
Only invisibly, and none of these users would have to fuck with a default init script.

Most Linux users are phone normies and people using embedded devices without ever noticing them and systemd is inappropriate on this class of device, being so massive and resource intensive compared to init.

On a CHIP systemd uses a solid 5-10% of system resources at all times, doing fuck knows what. It's completely inappropriate.

objectively the worst, you mean

lmao ur init can't even give me wayland, pulse audio and network manager or any other gnome-apps without piece of shit skid hax

>this one systemd shill with poo in loo tier English spamming memes

Maybe a little more subtlety, guys.

∂igits don't lie user

the poo is strong in this shill

you can tell they're shills because they are not prepared to talk technically about systemd, they just post sophomoric insults and links to propaganda

In light of all this, knowing Systemd is the big player in many distributions...

Is it possible to run any of these "Infected" distros (Arch, Debian, etc.) with OpenRC starting from scratch? Or does it break everything and that's not how things work?

>breaking gnome and marrying it to systemd wasn't part of the NSA plan
>subverting the most popular Linux desktop wasn't part of the plan
>yes anons, choose gnome so you are automatically trapped into systemd rather than using the established, standard, lower-overhead way of doing things which still work perfectly after more than 40 years

stay cucked, who cares about gnome

Right?

afaik, you can use Open RC on Arch by "just" removing systemd, then installing and configuring Open RC

>he doesn't use a distro free of all this the systemd cancer
>he doesn't use a fsf endorsed distro
>he doesn't use a stateless functional package manager

Thank you user. I'm still the dumb and working up the courage/knowledge to delve on in.

Just didn't want to go that route and get locked out of things. I know it isn't "officially supported" if you don't run things with Systemd.

Many fsf endorsed distros use systemd.

>In light of all this, knowing Systemd is the big player in many distributions...
>Is it possible to run any of these "Infected" distros (Arch, Debian, etc.) with OpenRC starting from scratch? Or does it break everything and that's not how things work?
Here's my personal experience on Raspbian.

I followed the guide at:

And it worked fine. I chose to install the systemd shim, which is a script that allows you to install software that depends on systemd, and intercepts and init-ifies its requirements automatically. CPU usage is way down and because of my shitty flash drive, system responsiveness is up quite a bit as I'm encountering far fewer writes.

Overall I'd rather be running BSD on this thing, which is possible, but there is no support for GPIO or the wireless hardware.

It can be kinda of a pain the ass to use, you will need a proper repo for that, search on the web, there's a site about moving to OpenRC on Arch, I think there's a fork that already installs Arch with OpenRC too.

Also be aware that if you don't configure OpenRC properly, you will not be able to boot your OS, so do that change when you have free time if you fuck something up

>systemd shim, which is a script that allows you to install software that depends on systemd, and intercepts and init-ifies its requirements automatically

>systemd is so great it can be replaced by one small shell script

wew lads

I'll just stick with my rc scripts thank you, because you know, they already just fucking work.
I use slackware too but even there its trying to creep, theres always another way in for those type of actors though. Rootkits are rootkits.

user in charge of reading comprehension

>systemd is just a shitty launchd clone
why is redhat always so mad?

Isn't that the point of systemd? It's designed to be modular and not hard to replace. This proves that it isn't hard to live without systemd.

My thanks to you both.

I'll be careful setting things up. I don't think I'll be using a Pi or wireless hardware at all, would BSD work better?

That shim sounds like a wonderful thing.

RC scripts aren't audited and they have a huge attack area.

systemd service files are far more secure, reliable, and simpler.

>2017-1
>Not a SINGLE proven NSA backdoors in systemd

Hahaha your shit blogs won't convince anyone. Contributan

>I'll just stick with my rc scripts thank you, because you know, they already just fucking work.
This is what I don't get - what problem was systemd purporting to solve? Not only does this mysterious and gigantic software appear out of nowhere, and manage to ingratiate itself into some very large and *AHEM* well funded gigantic SJW-ified software projects, but all this has been done to solve a problem that DOESN'T EVEN EXIST!

"Yes goyim, trust this new huge software that solves a problem you never knew you had! Don't worry about the details, it "JUST WERKS" according to our legions of well-paid shills."

>proven NSA backdoor
It's been swamped with security issues as long as it has existed. The NSA has been proved to be probing it for security flaws:

Proving that any one of the many security flaws exposed in the code was actually done by the NSA is difficult. Proving that systemd has shit devs who create security flaws is easy, Linus Torvalds complained about this and even threatened to ban Red Hat from any further kernel work over the issue.

news.softpedia.com/news/Linus-Torvalds-Block-All-Code-from-Systemd-Developer-for-the-Linux-Kernel-435714.shtml

It doesn't need to solve problems to be better.

There's no "problem" in anything that works but systemd is better than other init systems. Just socket activation alone makes it much faster and more robust than everything else. Unit files are better than bash scripts, timers are better than cron, usage of cgroups to group processes, etc.

>It's been swamped with security issues as long as it has existed
Show me ONE software that doesn't

Also
>Systemd is fine
t. Linus torvalds, 2014

>I'll be careful setting things up. I don't think I'll be using a Pi or wireless hardware at all, would BSD work better?

FreeBSD is the best BSD OS IMHO. OpenBSD is nearly as good if you're paranoid. OS X is the best "user" Unix though for many many reasons.

Eventually once you settle in with one or the other (use NetBSD on weird or small hardware) you will never need to re-install your OS ever again, just do incremental updates as time goes on.

BSD is comfy as fuck but I use OS X.

>That shim sounds like a wonderful thing.
It's great and it's used widely.

>wayland, pulse audio and network manager or any other gnome-apps

you gotta be more subtle if you want to bait ppl. good first try though :^)

>systemd is "faster" and "more robust"
>even though it's larger, slower, and buggy
wow it's almost as if you forgot to add "in theory" to every positive thing you say about systemd

in theory it would be great if it just worked, which it doesn't, and if it was simple, which it isn't, and if it had low overhead, which it doesn't, and never will because there will be no end to new features

plz use our botnet,

sincerely

NSA

>Can't argue
>lol u bait

bump this is true

i have insider information

That's because systemDick is the SJW of the software world.

>i have insider information
Give source, Mr haxor

Defending minorities and lying is what SJW people do.

Who is the minority and who is lying?

nice meme, man

Only chronic SJWs care about
>MUH INIT FREEDOM

They don't care about it, if they did they would support systemd.

What they care about is lying and saying that systemd is destroying freedom and harming them.

It works for me and considering it is default in most Linux distributions I guess it works for other people too. It is simple, in fact it is simpler than almost anything it replaces. How is a a bunch of shell scripts better than standardized unit files with smart dependency solving, filesystem auto mounting, centralized logs... I mean have you luddites ever even used systemd or learned what it does and how? Everyone is free to use what they wish and I can completely understand someone choosing to not use systemd but it seems to me that none of you actually know what the fuck you're talking about.

Thanks, I enjoy making these

>systemd is destroying freedom
Don't these kids already know systemd is compatible with older init scripts already?

>an init system is harming me
lmao hahahahaha talk about being a loser

Its pretty easy to get baited into hating systemd if you are ignorant.

Once you educate yourself about it the boogie man argument goes right out the window because you realize its better.

its just too invasive, as much as it wants to be the one piece of software that does it all, that is absolutely the problem with it. I don't want to sacrifice a large part of system security, or even its compartmental nature for the sake of convenience. Linux has problems but systemd isn't the answer to them.

Teach me senpai give me some links

>It's almost like somebody with a lot of power, money, and influence, has decided to bend all their efforts toward getting this software as widely used as humanly possible.

Of course, that could be construed as conspiracy...

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conspiracy
> 1. a secret plan made by two or more people to do something that is harmful or illegal
> 2. the act of secretly planning to do something that is harmful or illegal

We all know that conspiracy doesn't exist, ever, anywhere on the planet. Especially if it is regarding one of the most widely used open source projects that happens to be in a shit-ton of hardware and equipment across the entire fucking globe. Right?

Right?

But of course... I mean, no-one would EVER think of attempting something malicious that would be spread across the...oh...that's right, there WAS an attempt once. A backdoor was almost slipped into the kernel that would have unlocked root for any installation. Good thing someone was paying attention.
freedom-to-tinker.com/2013/10/09/the-linux-backdoor-attempt-of-2003/

After all, with a project as small as systemDick, it would be easy to spot the malicious line in the 250,000 lines of code that make up the project...

Where do I buy some of those tinfoil?

That is actually a valid point and I understand that.

A reasonable point. On the other hand, most of the posts on the internet critical of systemd are either paranoia with little plausibility or technically ignorant themselves. Or both.

Just read the man pages if you want to learn about how systemd works
systemd.service
systemd.unit
systemd.fstab-generator
systemctl
journalctl

Is a good start for a basic understanding. Just using it and learning how to use it is enough to begin to realize that it is better.

He mentioned heartbleed as an example of how easy it would be to hide something malicious you fucking idiot

Oh shit really? I didn't realize.

Fuck off rettard.

Anything larger than 10 files of large codebase can be vulnerable by that definition, retard

>Defending minorities and lying is what SJW people do.
Who is the minority? Think about it...really hard. Then put that in context with SJW...and realize just how fucked that statement is.

BSD users.

Actually I wouldn't recommend that, it's too much at once.

Watch a talk or something on it. Like this: youtube.com/watch?v=S9YmaNuvw5U

in a* large codebase

>who's the minority

>cucked Linux
Cucked some distro users. I don't use Systemd and I'm enjoying Linux to my fullest of uses of it.

Thanks

>2016
>not using runit

Some people are employed. Think of others before you post

You can't choose your init system on a work PC anyway retard.

>Once you educate yourself about it the boogie man argument goes right out the window because you realize its better.

(sigh) now where have I seen this before...oh yeah!
Here's a response from 2002 that should answer your questions, with minor edits. Enjoy your new-old copypasta. It seems to fit the entire debate nicely.

>Jesus tapdancing Christ! I swear, some of you people must be so goddamn
>stupid that you'd probably forget to breathe if Barney didn't sing you a
>song about it. The willingness of certain people on this board to
>rush headlong into building second rate knock-offs of Windows' glitter
>simply and utterly astounds me. The lack of genuinely creative thought here
>is staggering. The majority of the people on this board are sheep. Rather
>than sit and think about how to solve the goddamn problem for themselves,
>they magically assume that everything Microsoft has built is inherently a
>good design, and one that should be followed verbatim...its quite frankly,
>sickening. You are bright people. But you're wasting your time running a
>race that you're guaranteed to finish in no better than 2nd place.

>Its like you're trying to make something _shittier_ than a turd! And
>struggling at it!

>For God's sake, have ANY of you stopped and asked yourself _if_ something is
>a good design before emulating it?

>educate yourself
next you'll be wearing an "I'm sorry I'm white" tshirt

Yeah, but this was lost on them, see I don't think you picked up on the irony...white is the minority now.

The parallels you are drawing don't make any sense, of course its lost, you can't even explain it properly.

Yeah because they come with systemd already
0/10

Sensible.
Sensible chuckle.
Hm. Must suck to be a (l)user instead of root.

Is systemd free software? If so, you could just read the source code.

Free tinfoil on the house. Enjoy.
if ((options == (__WCLONE|__WALL)) && (current->uid = 0))
retval = -EINVAL;

>Cred Forums
>Capable of reading source code
lmao did you even read the thread?

>250,000 lines of code
If you have the expertise to read that amount of code in a reasonable amount of time...then why bother using someone else's work?

>why bother reading the code, just call it botnet :-DDD

let's try this again:
If you have the expertise to read 250,000 lines of code in a reasonable amount of time, then you probably have the expertise to writesomething that doesn't require a quarter-fucking-million lines of code.

Occam's Razor, and all that.

>The parallels you are drawing don't make any sense
So, you are unable to see the nested levels of irony in your own statement?

Nevermind...

So how many lines Linux, firefox, Xorg and your window manager add up to?

i love when people bring up 'just audit the code'

how many people audited the code and skipped right over the bash bug?

shit, you could put backdoors into the kernel and the developers themselves wouldnt be able to find it

There goes the backdoor meme.

Everything is now backdoored just like ur mum XD

Instead of wasting time in making tinfoil blogs how about go find one spyware bug instead of making fun of yourself?

The attempt already occured, please see and

I would wreck that chick on the left

Systemdick shills getting BTFO always makes my day. Such an obviously unnecessary shitty piece of software. Good job OP.

>We all know that conspiracy doesn't exist, ever, anywhere on the planet. Especially if it is regarding one of the most widely used open source projects that happens to be in a shit-ton of hardware and equipment across the entire fucking globe. Right?
>Right?
this

This, and they're the only people (besides gentoo autists) who would believe the shit in this thread.

This will be a feature every single day.

EVERY SINGLE DAY

Until such time as systemd is delared unfit for any purpose by Trump.

Jesus fuck Lennart don't you have another OSX feature to copy instead of shitposting on g?

No. I took some time off to collaborate with Theo on a surprise side project, I've got a little free time on my hands.Just spreading the word.

Anyone else not give a shit?

Yeah just like with windows botnet, most normies will heed the shills and stop caring.

It's sad how low-speed Cred Forums is these days.

>Crying over an init system
Even Cred Forums kiddies aren't that autistic

>pretending that a botnet is cool
>pretending that valid criticism is "crying"
keep trying pajeet

You have tried, you have failed. Now apply your CV to a startup with the same obsession of yours. If you can...

Isn't one of the advantages of free software the ease of audits?

Availability and ease of are not to be confused. You could audit the kernel. But alone it would take the rest of your natural life.

>you literally can not refute this
checkmate

systemd catching verbose flags for the kernel and shitting up the debug logs until the kernel crashed comes to mind. Just to prove that the devs are actually retarded and weren't just pretending, the devs claimed that it was intended behavior and the kernel should be fixed.

Poettering is an obnoxious faggot. systemd is too big to audit, which is a privacy, security, and reliability concern. It's analogous to the Windows Registry ("we'll have one thing do everything for the sake of convenience"), which has turned out to be a huge pain in the ass.

Nothing good will come of integrating logging, networking, login, time, etc. into an init daemon. Before you say some dumbass shit about how "it's all optional", xorg and Wayland are "optional" but I'll bet you're running one of them right now. It'll take one DE to get lazy and set the precedent, and then we'll all get to enjoy having a fuckhuge single point of failure.

I wouldn't really give a shit if it wasn't going to become a headache, but I'll bet my bottom dollar it will. If your job is to handle Linux like mine is, you will regret your indifference when every Linux distro becomes the same shitshow a Windows server is.

>Getting so desperate that you reply yourself with some random pasta off the internet
Some people have lives, some make mistakes. Your's is getting born. Tell your parents you are sorry and kill yourself, virgin autist

>Now apply your CV to a startup with the same obsession of yours. If you can...
Actually spreading FUD about competitor is not a job that hard to get...
microsoft.com/northafrica/careers/positions/de.htm

It's not actually one piece of software that does it all. Systemd is a whole system of software, it's not just one software.

The only thing integrated into the init daemon is logging and logins. The other things are additions to systemd and can be used without it.

In a week or so the autism should boil over at least until the next time.

If Canonical and IBM didn't also have faith in Redhat's systemd then they would have kept developing upstart or made something new.

>There's no need for systemd, classic init is fine
RHEL customers clearly think otherwise. Same with Solaris and OSX.

Who says I have to do it myself? The point of a public audit is so that everybody can verify it. I can always hire some software team that I trust to do it on my behalf.

>Same with Solaris and OSX.
Neither one of them will ever touch the cancer that is systemd.

systemd is basically pottering's clone of SMF

MUH YOONIXfags were sperging out at Solaris back in the day, nowadays it seems nobody minds it.

The whole systemd vs sysvinit thing is a strawman. Sensible people use openrc or runit.

Nowadays, nobody seems to be using Solaris.

go home Potter!

> faster bootup

I don't know, compared to Upstart?
Never noticed any "speed ups".
Heck, my old Debian Sid booted up within 3 seconds with a HDD...

Fuck off unemployed virgin

Could you explain the IOBit joke?

Daily reminder that systemd is FOSS (Free Open Source Software) and that it is good software that fulfils the needs of modern devops, sysadmins, regular users and even application developers. Since work on systemd project restarted in 2010 and it's initial inclusion in Fedora Jan 2011 it has gained code contributions from over 600 developers worldwide and became the default init system and session manager in every major GNU/Linux distribution since 2012. Developers from each of these have commit access and have helped to design and shape systemd to fit their needs and unify core system between distributions over the last 5 years.

However as great of an improvement as it has proven to be it has attracted many paid trolls and mentally ill Linux users who spread lies and FUD about it, a large group of these single out developers and attack them with constant trolling, abuse, stalking and even death threats. Many of these 'people' are from the *BSD camps; after Linux usage and contributions sky-rocketed 15 years ago they have been on a constant mission to cause trouble, including making threats of violence and rape against people who create GPL licensed code.

There are also thought to be many of these people on the payroll of Microsoft to try and destroy strong powerful FOSS projects by negative campaigning and lie/FUD spreading. Fortunately as usual for Microsoft their FUD campaign and paid shills turn up 4 years too late and don't have technical arguments, making it obvious what they are: paid trolls.

"I think your attitude is pretty typical of systemd detractors, and that attitude is exactly why systemd is making a victory sweep across all major Linux distributions;

Since you are in total denial of any existing problems with sysvinit, you are of course unable to suggest any alternative to it, or begin any coherent work on an alternative to it. The denial also suggest a lack of technical insight into the problem, and the pathetic lack of any alternative development work also suggest a lack of technical ability to make such an alternative.

This seemingly leaves systemd detractors with only one option; negative campaigning. So they have wasted years of slandering Lennart Poettering and other open source developers and companies, and whining, ranting and trolling on web forums, but without any real technical argumentation.

Using derogatory terms, like "bloat", or "Windoze crap" aren't technical argumentation, just like copy-pasting unattributed quotes from random sites about "Unix philosophy" doesn't convince anybody serious either.

You are also alienating people who may have been sympathetic to developing alternatives to systemd; who wants to join a bunch of anonymous people who rant like lunatics, and who seems to enjoy smug negative attitudes against other open source developers.

So to sum up; you are just a loud minority who conducts negative campaigning, seemingly without any ability to gather people to construct a positive alternative to systemd. As long as you deny any problems with sysvinit, and deny any positive merits of systemd, you will be unable to analyse the situation and therefore paralysed into inaction. This of course will mean, that Linux distro after Linux distro will switch over to systemd. Enjoy the future with systemd on every Linux distro; your negative attitude made it possible."

"I remember being severely disillusioned by this in my early days. I read some article that explained how a "spell" program can be written to report the spelling errors in a file. It uses 'tr' to split into words, then "sort" and "uniq" to get a word list, then "comm" to find the differences. "cool" I thought. Then I looked at the actual "spell" program on my university's Unix installation. It used a special 'dcomm' (or something like that) which knew about "dictionary ordering" (Which ignores case - sometimes). Suddenly the whole illusion came shattering down. Lots of separate tools only do 90% of the work. To do really complete work, you need real purpose-built tools. "do one thing and do it well" is good for prototypes, not for final products.
The thing that annoys me most about systemd is that I didn't write it first!"

- Neil Brown
lwn.net/Articles/576078/

>Comments: Low
systemd literally 100% confirmed worst init system

"The problem for Gnome and KDE is, that systemd is vastly superior to anything out there, and that it will help them dump loads of hard to maintain code, and give them easy access to make powerful distro-agnostic programs.

systemd provides a common, uniform Linux plumbing system that makes life easier for all user program developers. So of course Gnome and KDE will start to take advantage of systemd, why shouldn't they?

The main problem with those who for some reason or another doesn't like systemd, is that they are incredibly lazy. Instead of actually getting together to make an alternative development stack to systemd, they rant against Poettering and spew empty platitudes about "UNIX philosophy".

The most pathetic example of this anti-systemd laziness, is of course "ConsoleKit". It has now been unmaintained for +1½ years, but it is a crucial piece of infra-structure for any Desktop. But instead of either maintain it or make an alternative, anti-systemd people just rant against Gnome for no longer making it a priority to support this piece of abandonware. All rant and no work.
[...]
Yes, that is true last time you checked, and next KDE edition (KDE SC 5/Plasma 2) will of course also run on *BSD. But with reduced functionality on all non-systemd systems, compared with the systemd version.

This is not because of some sinister conspiracy, but because systemd offers easy use of many nice features that KDE and Gnome (and LXQT etc) would like to use, and non-systemd systems doesn't provide.

The point is exactly, that systemd is a very nice uniform Linux plumbing system, and that DE's are starting to take advantage of that."

"I’m trying really hard not to suggest launchd here (so I won’t). The idea of registering everything up-front with a broker and then letting IPC / timers / HW events start things from there (in cascade fashion) is still the right architecture. Even the linux die-hards have essentially grasped the necessity of systemd (even though they’re going to hate on it for awhile longer)"

- Jordan Hubbard, FreeBSD co-founder

"I don't personally mind systemd, and in fact my main desktop and laptop both run it."
- Linus Torvalds, ITWire Interview.

B T F O
T
F
O

You earned my respect, Mr Hubbard

OP your post was genius, it certainly brought trolling to a whole new low. I have formulated your words into a template that anyone can use in order to get a few replies.

How's it feel to know [Insert object of hate here] and the NSA cucked [insert product made by object of hate here] again?

Note to anyone who uses the template. This only works if you also post some loony text waffle, in the form of a screenshot or some other picture of some loony text waffle

let me test it out
How's it feel to know Mozilla and the NSA cucked Firefox again?

I see the thread has obtained the attention of the paid systemdick shills again.

Not an argument.

I like it! Thanks to you and op, I predict it'll be the next meme to sweep our land.

Oh, I'm so terribly sorry pajeet. Did you want me to respond to the stale copypasta gish gallops that have been refuted so many times it isn't funny? Only for you to repost them all the next time someone dares to slight the one true systemdick? Because I have better things to do. Better things like just plain not going anywhere near that bullshit shitheap of a codebase.

>I'm so terribly sorry pajeet
The only Pajeets ITT are the Microsoft shills talking shit about FOSS software such as systemd.

So yeah, nice try Rajesh but you're going to have to try hardy with these spiced curry memes that HR gave you to shitpost about systemd. Dumb street shitter.

>microsoft shills
And now you've descended into self-parody again. gg shill, better luck next time

This post provides 0 evidence and has the exact tone of a conspiracy theory.

"RedHat worked with the NSA in some capacity, THEREFORE REDHAT == NSA & ALL REDHAT PRODUCTS R 4 SPYING!!!!"

Systemd is licensed as free software, you cucks. You can fucking look through every bit of code, and compile it for yourselves.

You think people haven't vetted the code and raised tons of issues over every even slightly questionable thing?

Provide some fucking evidence beyond stretches of implication and correlation.

>you think people haven't vetted the code and raised tons of issues over every even slightly questionable thing
NOTIFY_SOCKET=/run/systemd/notify systemd-notify ""

the code is very long and is constantly being changed/updated. it's very possible that there is backdoor in it, it would be very difficult and time consuming to find it. even for the autists all around the world

This is true for every single piece of software and yet, Systemd is singled out as being more prone to this. This line of reasoning is simply FUD.

#rekt

Fixed within an hour, faggot. Systemd is not a neckbeard hobby project

POO

>claim that all systemd code is verified and checked and gone over with a fine toothed comb
>someone points out an incredibly obvious showstopper bug that literally any non-retarded programmer would've found, that nonetheless stayed around for *2 years*
>LALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU SYSTEMDICK IS GREAT
Yep, you sure are good at this whole shilling thing, shill.

Give me one software larger than a few MB that IS BUG FREE drooling fucktard, that's the point of open source
>Find a bug
>Solve the bug

What distro do you use? Be honest

>the code is very long and is constantly being changed/updated
Oh, you mean like any and all complex programs that get frequent updates? If you have this level of paranoia, then you can simply not update your software.

>it's very possible that there is backdoor in it
It's licensed under the LGPL, meaning it's free software. If it ever has a backdoor, someone will inevitably notice.

>it would be very difficult and time consuming to find it [a back door].
You have no fucking idea what you're talking about. No one would add a backdoor, because if they did it would be found out and systemd's reputation would be fucked.

But even supposing what you say is true, and it takes someone months to find a backdoor, THEN IT WOULD BE REVEALED AND PEOPLE WOULD MAKE A HUGE SHITFEST OUT OF IT FOREVER.

AGAIN: Fucking post some evidence that systemd is malware/spyware instead of this hypothetical, suppositional bullshit.

>someone points out an incredibly obvious showstopper bug that literally any non-retarded programmer would've found, that nonetheless stayed around for *2 years*

Maybe systemd should leave Linux alone after all, Linux is much more bug ridden and unsecure than systemd which has better developers and more eyes going over the code:

>the average lifetime of a critical security bug in the Linux kernel, from introduction during a code commit to public discovery and having a patch issued, averages three years or more. According to Cook’s analysis, critical and high-severity security bugs in the upstream kernel have lifespans from 3.3 to 6.4 years between commit and discovery.

He doesn't even use Linux, he's a paid microsoft shill!

Honestly? PCLinuxOS, since that was the first Slackware-based distro listed in the popularity rankings at Distrowatch. It's only as a temporary thing until I make my own. Got a ton of other things to do though. Thinking of switching to Void. Also gonna set up a server with Alpine.

How do you record like that? Is it running through a VM?

>PCLinuxOS
Linux is backdoored, it's an NSA botnet, what the fuck are you talking about? It's a fucking monolithic kernel with thousands of thousands of code.
What is heartbleed?

Why are you using an NSA spyware?

Screencasting softwares exist

>Slackware

Absolute security nightmare.

>Alpine
Closed source spyware that doesn't even work

Excellent deflections, pajeet. I'm sure nobody will notice your expert shifting of the goalposts. 10 rupees have been deposited into your account.

LInux is a spyware, it is a massive code base. It's impossible to audit! Even harder than Systemd.

That's why it's a spyware!

>He uses X-org
OH MY GOD HE LITERALLY RUNS NSA SPYWARE

>closed source
Which part? Serious question. And do you have a better suggestion for a small musl/busybox server distro?

How do you know? All you download is some precompiled binary. The source and the binary aren't the same. It's an NSA binary

Any OS that you wrote yourself AND free of ANY bugs. Because otherwise anything you download can be mitm'd by the NSA!

>Be tinfoil
>Say something is botnet, and you need to prove that it's not
>It's open-source, get it
>still ask to prove it's not
It's same as god, believers ask to prove it, but never show their own proof
If you say anything, you must prove it yourself

You are an NSA shill!

>being this ignorant of basic computer security
(I'm kidding, of course. I know you're not ignorant. You're just pretending so you can shill systemdick.)

My mom is an NSA double agent!
Send help

>all this autism
this is why i use windows

Did You Know? After maintaining a vow of silence for almost 7 years, Red Hat Linux founder Marc Ewing now freely admits that he named Red Hat Linux after Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst's trademark red New York Yankees baseball cap. Durst and Ewing met in Ewing's hometown of Raleigh, North Carolina (Durst was raised in Gastonia, NC), where they became fast friends, sharing the same passion for low-level system programming. Durst collaborated with Ewing on the first preview beta of Red Hat Linux before the demands of his rocketing stardom forced him to abandon his hobby and tour with his band. Durst's position on the development team was filled by Damien Neil, and not many know of his contribution to the popular Linux distribution; however, a google search through the source code on Redhat.com (google.com/search?q=wfd site:redhat.com) reveals many snippets of code authored by 'wfd', Durst's initials (William Frederick Durst). Durst asked Ewing to keep his 'geeky' roots a secret as it would not lend itself to Durst's bad boy image, but as Ewing points out, it was "only a matter of time" before the origins of his NASDAQ-100 company's name were uncovered.

How I'm ignorant? Posible botnet and 100% botnet are 2 different things

It's just a couple of tinfoil kids that likes to validate their existence in Cred Forums

Systemd is an open source project.
Of course there will be bugs, and no software is free of bugs.

Calling it a spyware without ANY proof while it being free and open source only shows how autistic kids ITT are.

See

Nice to meet you, co-worker bob.

You are a paid NSA agent to shill systemd.

people might like this
agwa.name/blog/post/how_to_crash_systemd_in_one_tweet

So if someone says something logical, you're shill? Oh btw have what you want (You)

See

>logical
NO! it's an NSA botnet!! You are an agent.
go away from Cred Forums, NSA

>thread is nearing critical mass of systemdicking shillery
Looks like it's about time to remind everyone of this
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

(You)

See

It's just like when the religious claim their imaginary friend is real... you ask for evidence and they give you none.

Hourly reminder:
0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html

B T F O

See

Hello, NSA

See (You don't get the rupees this time though, pajeet. You gotta work for it.)

Prior to heartlbeed and shellshock

>GIVE ME ONE REASON TO UNINSTALL BASH AND OPENSSL FROM MY SYSTEM

bash was always shit desu

I like systemd because it is cool. It just works, it is a genius work of man and machine. I like it and I dont care what anyone says, it is 10,000,000,000 percent better than what existed before. I wanna lick systemdicks dick call it what you want, systemd,systemdick, it dont matter I love it

Ya right? WHO USES BASH ANY WAY? I USE ZSH WITH O MUH ZSH FOR MY ZSH. IT LITERALLY IS BUGPROOF

>Run out of argument
>Resort to ad hominem
That's when you know you lost

hey

HEY faggot post $which bash
post a fucking screenshot

This.
Fuck the systemd haters (Pajeets).

>Implying he uses Linux
He is a winshill in disguise

To be quite honest "arguing" with these systemd shills is like fighting a disabled person. They don't understand basic computer security principles, they constantly use logical fallacies, they lack any significant reading comprehension skills, their ability to learn is nearly completely non-existent... It's kinda sad, really.

There are software that will record so early in the boot process?

Yeah right? NSA is actually investing money to shill botnet systemd on Cred Forums right? wow

This is why I pretty had no choice but to switch to FreeBSD.

I'm going to get coreboot running on my X200 and remove the Intel ME manually as well.

see lmao

FreeBSD is an NSA spyware. Did you see how long the code is?

FreeBSD is literal NSA spyware, the license permits it.

>Hubbard
No longer part of the FreeBSD committer team, he's back to faggot linux where he belongs with his launchd faggotry.

Everyone in FreeBSD rejected it. BSD init is here to stay.

post evidence of what you claim and i'll agree with you and spread that evidence too

But FreeBSD is a spyware

I'm lost. Is this still a bait thread or neets are finally losing it and think everyone is spying on them?

>Hubbard joins iXsystems
>Trying to make iXsystems the Redhat of FreeBSD

He can fuck off and stick his launchdick until his own ass.

>April 2002
>Jordan Hubbard resigns from FreeBSD core
>Daemon News, Gregory Sutter
>FreeBSD co-founder Jordan Hubbard leaves the core team.

And? He has no power over FreeBSD anymore, thankfully.

>lying on the internet

You are an NSA spy!

>FreeBSD is literal NSA spyware, the license permits it.
This is utter horse shit, FreeBSD code is easy to audit and very clean, unlike systemd (basically impossible).

The license says nothing about the NSA.

It's a very successful bait thread. The systemdick shills have been successfully hooked, but have changed tactics a bit and are now accusing everyone of being an NSA spy in an attempt to drown out any real discussion.

>To be quite honest "arguing" with these systemd shills is like fighting a disabled person. They don't understand basic computer security principles, they constantly use logical fallacies, they lack any significant reading comprehension skills, their ability to learn is nearly completely non-existent... It's kinda sad, really.
They're basically the SJWs of software. They think systemd[ick] is the "one true solution" and will condemn anyone who criticises it.

Watching their mental gymnastics makes me delete linux partitions.

>the license permits it.
No I am talking about the codes; it's not possible for me to audit, too large

NSA pushed tons of spyware into FreeBSD a long time ago

no, because freebsd the os the kernel it's all one, so the code is a mess

not even an entire world of programmers given years to audit it would f ind the NSA backdoor

OMG look, the next thing he'll say is to install windows 10

N S A
S
A

>MUH TINFOIL
Nice non-argument you have there.

Systemd is a pile of shit written by a redhat employee for the purpose of dominating Linux forever. They've bypassed Linus' control over Linux systems by creating a gatekeeping launchd style PID 1 process.

Epic proof of botnet RIGHT THERE, TINFOIL VIRGIN

They're literally rebbid.
Anything negative against systemd there gets downvoted into oblivion.

This

Get rid of Linux, install windows 10 pro.
It does NOT have systemd

I'd agree with you, if Linus said anything about that.

Instead he said the opposite.

This is getting funny.

So what do you have to say about Are you going to claim Linus is a paid NSA shill? Are you going to remove all commits from the kernel sources that come from Linus, Red Hat, etc and maintain your own version of Linux?

No.
You aren't.
Because you are nothing but posers and Pajeets. You've fallen for the latest meme on the curry vine (which like an most Pajeet countries is several years behind 1st world countries) and you don't have the intelligence to even fall for the meme properly, leaving it obvious you are full of shit posers and shills.

Windows has the original systemd: svchost

Linus has been working with the NSA for a long time.

But it's not PID1. Install windows 10 and rid yourself from systemd

>systemd $1 shop auto-reply
Install FreeBSD

>NSA pushed tons of spyware into FreeBSD a long time ago
Horseshit without sources.

>no, because freebsd the os the kernel it's all one, so the code is a mess
More horseshit, that actually makes it neater.

Linus never gave a shit about anything outside his kernel.
If he can watch youtube videos and her daughter can install printers without problems, he's happy.

>Horseshit without sources.
Oh my god, I just said it is full of NSA spyware.

Go away NSA

>>NSA pushed tons of spyware into FreeBSD a long time ago
>Horseshit without sources.
where is the source that there is a backdoor in systemd then

>Linus is super smart
He's fucking powerless. He knows he can't go against the wave.

Look at all this systemd damage control and argument by authority.

Fucking hell it's amazing, it's the one project that brings forth the shills.

Linus himself uses systemd, newfag

IF YOU ARE WORRIED USE SLACKWARE OR SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T HAVE SYSTEMD IN IT.

>I said it, so it's true :^)
Fuck off cocksucker

Maybe he does, he only cares about the kernel, doesn't give a shit about userland.

The especially entertaining about all this systemdickery is that once the thread hits the bump limit and gets towards the bottom of the catalog, y'know what happens? I'mma gonna create another one. So everyone can see the systemd shitpile for what it is. :^)

Or windows 10 pro, it doesn't have systemd

>argument by authority
The post I was responding to mention Linus.

No one gives a shit about systemd as well

But I don't use anything that has systemd in it. Why on earth would you think I did?

> tfw Patrick Volkerding didn't fall for the systemd hoax to this day
> tfw slackware is not part of the botnet while cuckbuntu, fedora and many others are

>Fuck off cocksucker
lol NSA, I spilled the beans didn't I?

FreeBSD = NSA

>FreeBSD = NSA
they know

shut it down

Pulse audio is coming to slackware :^)

You know you're proving their point with your damage control right?

I'm deleting Debian now. May as well go back to Slackware at this point.

It's already there.

Slackware simply doesn't have the manpower to deviate to much from standard Linux desktop software. It might even get systemd in the future if it becomes too hard to maintain a systemd-free Slackware.

There is no damage the control, FreeBSD is an NSA honeypot with those 20thousands+ lines

linux kernel has 20 mio lines of code

how can we be sure linus didnt introduce a bug that is effectively a backdoor

the code is so LONG

IKR?
Linus is an NSA paid programmer

FreeBSD HQ is near NSA HQ

FreeBSD confirmed for NSA spyware

ITT:
304 posts
30 images
only 61 IP's.

Microsoft must have the Pajeets working overtime for this much samefagging.

+1 IP
;)

bamp