What can u do in linux that cannot be done in mac or windows 10?

seems to me, that all you see, is weaboo desktops and screenfetchs. why can't you just return to good old fashioned osx or windows?

PROPRIETARY

LOOK IT UP

Uninstall your desktop environment.

I an have all 4 freedoms on ganoo plus loonix

Really? Try sudo apt-get install openrc and then reboot. Tell me what init system you're using, and then tell me again about your "four freedoms".

Update/upgrade the whole system with one command
Upgrade without reboots
Pulse auido sound servers
Secure file transfer servers with SFTP
Support better file system
GPU-passthrough
Interact with system configs directly via shell, instead of registry configs
Have a secure software repo
Choose/select/customize how your desktop environment looks
Run with/without GUI for both desktop/server purpose
Compressed system snapshots
Configurable/encryptable swap
Configurable init daemon
and the list goes on

People Love Linux as an OS, People love windows software more than windows as an OS if that gives you an idea

What can windows do that Linux can't?

you first :3c

once go FLOSS, you go back.

old fashioned proprietary osx/windows is shit to me now, no turning back for me.

Oh, live disc image, diskless systems need mentioning

Underrated

Use an architecture that isn't x86 or PowerPC

Host a webserver without wanting to kill yourself.
Host a VPN server without wanting to kill yourself.
Host a SIP server without wanting to kill yourself.
Host an imaging server without wanting to kill yourself.
Host a network share without wanting to kill yourself.
Host a print server and only sort of wanting to kill yourself.

All can be done in OS X trivially. Keep in mind that it's a UNIX OS.

Not having this

>What can windows do that Linux can't?
I'm stuck using windows because of some production software for work (devs said it doesn't play nice in a VM, even with PCI passthrough for the gpu). Other than that I can't think of anything I'm tied to windows for. Gaming can easily be done in a baremetal VM.

Yeah but HFS is slow and OSX doesn't play well with virtualization and it uses wa too many resources at idle to be a decent server OS.

Particularly poor virtualization support means that just because you can make an OSX server doesn't mean you should.

literally nothing

Read the thread

Blatantly false.

bump

>what can u do in linux that cannot be done in mac or windows 10?
There's actually nothing other than ricing. I'm not kidding.

I program on a Win7 desktop all the time and it's no better or worse than a riced Linux box.

Can't host an email server on linux without wanting to kill yourself.

Still better than doing it on windows. Fuck exchange. Bane of my existence.

Being brought very close to suicide is the nature of email servers.

/thread

See and

I fucking loathe that shit.

If its not against contract I would still try to run it in the VM or even wine.

boot on less than 1gb of ram?

It only took me being on vacation without a phone when the server went down for a solid 5 days to finally get through to management that hosting our own server was costing us money.

Of course I got a load of shit for that, but they signed off on it 8 months in advance, and then didn't have an emergency replacement on hand, so I threw it right back at them. Fuck em. I've got a job lined up in about 2 months and I'm just going to stop showing up that day. See how long it takes for something to break, because I guarantee that nobody will notice until then.

This
# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 62180 10688 51492 0 232
-/+ buffers: 10456 51724
Swap: 0 0 0

If you are forced to use Windows shrink the system partition. Windows can't install updates if you don't give it room to.

And in less than 30 seconds

You can literally just take file write permissions away from system or whatever it is these days.

>What can windows do that Linux can't?
Something happened (something happened).

symbolic links aren't complete shite

Wouldn't it still try to make me restart?

How do I do that?

Do you know how ownership and permissions work on a filesystem, less generally on windows? Then you can google it cause it's all in a GUI that would take forever to explain in text.

It's probly on youtube.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

OS X can basically do everything Linux can do, at least the parts relevant to me. On Linux many things are much more convenient though.

Anyway, to me it's mostly:
>Installing stuff via package manager without hassle
>Compiling software without installing a huge piece of monolithic software
>Using the convenience of UNIX (i.e. I work a lot on a cluster, I wouldn't know how to do that conveniently on a Windows machine. There probably is some way, but neither I nor my coworkers know about it, and that's part of the whole problem)

Whenever I'm on a Windows machine, I basically feel like I can't do anything at all with this beyond using idiot proof binaries.

Oh they are definitely not idiot proof, they're proof of idiots.
>Every installer comes with a half dozen optional "FREE" malware utilities, toolbars, addons
>Programs asking for admin rights to install
>The god awful inbred user/system/application directory nonsense

It amazes me anyone can live like that.

don't you need admin to install software on linux as well?

You don't need admin rights anywhere unless you're dealing with multiple user accounts at the same time. Windows basically never ever ever ever ever has to do that, linux organizes multiple user accounts for lots of things but you can set up a single-user install of anything.

Don't think any PACKAGE MANAGER is configured that way but dpkg/rpm can easily handle that environmental shit.

i'm using openrc; am i free?

install more than 2TB of RAM on a single machine.