I don't understand why we have such a huge fucking push for "hard" STEM, specifically technology and coding...

I don't understand why we have such a huge fucking push for "hard" STEM, specifically technology and coding, while stuff like the humanities and the social sciences get shafted. In my opinion, half the kids doing this shit in college these days would much prefer a "softer" subject rather than what they perceive to be the cool new thing that makes you nerdy.

Basically, fuck STEM

dumb anime poster

ok

post-secondary is for mindless scrubs

You don't go to college to study
It's a social club and a resort
Get over it

This.
Only literal retards fall for the "everyone needs to go to college" meme.

Why would I pay money to do that? baka senpai

So you get the piece of paper that makes your resume not get trashed.

Because otherwise you'd feel no commitment to do that.

How else are wages going to be pushed down in tech? Starving the humanities also ensures future generations will be dumber.

Excuse you, it's STEAM

You could go and hang out just to party every night.

Or people can be entrepreneurs

You don't understand?

It's because STEM is too highly paid.

They want you to make as much as a philosophy major, so they're flooding the market.
Add thousands of Indians to the mix for good measure.

Liberal identity politics and international capital are two hands that rub one another.

Isn't that happening right now with startups?

Who needs humanities.

Everyone should STEM so everyone can have a real degree and a real education.

An educated populace is good.

If you are worried about wages, then just have unions.

This way there will be competition because there will be many STEM people, and the smartest will get the job AND they will be able to get leverage due to unions.

It's how it should work in a market.

To clarify, by "everyone" I mean everyone who can, obviously uni quoats won't have to overflow, so they can raise requirements if there's a danger for that to happen.

Leftovers will have to go to humanities anyway.

As someone who has a bachelor's degree in chemistry, nothing makes me more sick than STEMlords who can't appreciate social sciences and humanities. Honestly, one of the most important reasons I'm mad at them is because my chemistry degree is basically worth less than an English degree that they laughed at when I was at an impressionable age.

You don't have a "real education" if you aren't educated in humanities. Actually educated people will think you're a fucking retard when they find out that you know fuck all about history, economics or sociology.

Because you can also make connections there. Connections to people who work in the industry you want to get into.

Wish I could double major in philosophy and mathematics, but I'm too slow.

>If you're worried about wages then just have unions
And who would be the lawyer that defends your wages if everyone is an engineer?
On the other hand who would be the social scientist that creates various ways to infiltrate the workers movement to disintegrate it?

>technology and """""""""""""coding""""""""""""
>""""""""""""""""hard""""""""" STEM
just stop

I'm doing electrical engineering and most of my friends were theater or music majors. Some of them have had some small acting jobs already and are building their portfolio. They're arguably more successful than me at this point in life.

Arts, humanities, and social sciences definitely have their place. I do think people tend to rush into those majors with unbridled optimism though and they don't have realistic expectations for their job prospects. Then again that happens with STEM too (physics major meme).

>Wish I could double major in philosophy and mathematics, but I'm too slow.
Why do you need a paper claiming you know about philosophy? just read the books in their curriculum in your free time, you'll probably enjoy it way more than if you were having to study and examinate for it.

>tech
>social sciences
>implying something becomes science because you slap a word on it
dumb anime poster

>t. high school science teacher

This. I love STEM, but I hate computers.
>tfw hearing "why don't you make computers or programs or video games"
Fuck bits I want physics not physx

Why is physics major a meme? I got some BS degree in physics last year and am sticking around to minor in math since daddy is paying for school (majoring in physics got me so close to a math degree I might as well get one and avoid real life as long as possible)
I work as a cook and any job better than that would be alright

It's pretty easy to understand. Good STEM graduates are expensive. Ergo if you flood the market you can demand lower salaries from your highly qualified, highly intelligent and hard working employees because there are hundreds of them competing for the same job.
It's about saturating the labor market for the most expensive labor, reducing the price, regardless as to the 'reality' of 'shortage'. There's always 'shortage' if you actually have to pay your employees. As in, actually have to pay them rather than have them as slaves.,

Enjoy being a high school science teacher.

unfortunately I don't think there is a lot left that is pure chalkboard work

everything gets integrated into computing to some degree due to massive gains in efficiency

embrace computing for your field and leave everything else to the $10/hr cablemonkeys is my advice

You'll never really understand it as well outside of a rigorous philosophy program.

>BS in physics minor in math
where are you planning to go from there
>avoid real life as long
iktf

>mindlessly repeat what I have learned for 8 months a year
>interact with teenage high school shenanigans
>summer vacation
The dream

nah you're just looking for excuses, you could go to their classes on your free time anyways if your attention span is so shit that you can't pay attention to a book

I haven't planned anything at all, applied physics just sounds like a practical degree that would be useful all over the place but isn't cancer like CS.
I knew that it wasn't as useful as something like EE or ME but I like physics

Dumb anime poster

just keep searching for a good high paying niche that is highly specialized and never worry about being a corporat ping pong ball among the sea of CS code monkeys

I really feel sorry for anyone that is getting a CS degree from anywhere but a top institution

>isn't cancer like CS.

/sci/ pls go, a code monkey will make more dosh than you ever will

supply and demand doesn't care about your opinion.

enjoy being poor with that humanities degree.

A prostitute will make more money than you ever will

But my field doesn't involve making a screen of colors turn into a screen of different colors, my competition switches from India to China, and I can relate what I've learned to even the most inane of everyday tasks.
But really the only advantage physics has given me is that I can scientifically determine the absolute best thermodynamic method to cook pizzas at my job

I was basically forced into stem because I got perfect 800 scores on 2/3 SAT sections but like 300 on the essay part
I'm not good enough to communicate with people

Considering 2016 CS job security, CS grads are basically corporate prostitutes

humanities are a meme

they have no practical application and aren't even something you can master (meaning something that is actually hard in the first place)

Humanities are not even being shafted. Just look at any public school. Honestly fuck humanities.

>people can work 24/7, neglect their family, and fail 99.9% of the time.

Thanks for your wonderful contribution to this thread.

ayyyy

we need more people majoring in the humanities, less competition for me

> nothing about history, sociology, or economics
I know more about those fields than the greatest experts. They are shit fields with no known knowledge. Learn about persuasion (human irrationality) and understand the economy objectively better than Krugman. Without understanding persuasion these subjects are useless and most knowledge created is not even knowledge.

If you can think and reflect than you are already a philosopher. Now you just need to study its history. You cannot be taught those things.

>I know more about those fields than the greatest experts.

Oh boy, it's Dunning-Kruger the post.

I've made more right predictions about the econimy than Krugman. Keynes said himself the economy is governed by animal spirits.

You cannot learn from history without understanding human irrationality. Its all about drawing false patterns amd pretending you are right. You truly have no idea what is going on or how to.pieve the past together without it.

I'm sorry you wasted your life away studying these useless fields. Enjoy the economic recession which will rival the great depression in the upcoming years.

For example, why the fuck is everyone wanting to go to outer space and shit when we can't even cure cancer? Fucking retarded STEMbabbies

My opinion of college is that is only provides the certificate and more so proves you can commit to achieving something.

I still haven't finished college at 26 and I make good money.

Philosophy majors get high paying jobs and average the highest LSAT scores. This is just a meme.
But the whole no money in social sciences meme benefits me greatly and fucks over muh elitist STEMfags so I don't really mind.

>more predictions than Krugman.
Congrats you are a better fortunate teller.
All this post illustrates is you don't even know what economics is user.

what makes you think the cure for cancer isn't in space

what is best browser/plugin/whatever for dealing with unholy numbers of tabs?

get the fick out of here

I think there are mods you can get for browsers. Don't look for the browser, look for the add-on.

do degree ez

>on a site called Cred Forums
>bitches about anime