/hsg/ Home Server General

So guys. Trying to decide how I want to setup my seedbox. I run proxmox right now and I guess I should spin up openmediavault and add the bittorent plug in. Then I'm guessing I could also install plex on that?

Thoughts?

Bump. No one on Cred Forums self hosts anymore?

holy shit it's a real book

i turned off my server after a month after seeing the electricity bill
t. state with 0.27usd/kwh

>seedbox

just fucking pay for one you child that is the shittiest thing you can do to try and look cool

I self host but there's nothing special about it.
I just have transmission, plex and that's about it.

Why would you run a seedbox on your home connection? Isn't the idea of a seedbox that you can benefit from awesome transfer speeds from other seedboxes in the data center and that it gives you some kind of plausible deniability in case you get fucked by the content industry.

mfw free electricity in student corridor room

who gives a shit about free energy if you dont control the firewall?

stay in school

Each room has its own ISP contract. There is no firewall.

I'm guessing you dropped out after grade school.

>paying for something I could make in an hour

Why would I do this when I don't have
data caps and it's only like $3 extra electricity? I only seed private trackers so who cares.

I have rutorrent setup on my seedbox.

that is not how a dorm works, unless you consider renting apartments controlled by the school 'dorms'

next you will try to make some excuse about not being american and therefore you were just pretending to be stupid

>who cares
Well I don't since you seem to be retarded. I do hope you enjoy your 10 trillion dollar debt if you are the unlucky one the content industry goes after.

wow you are retarded

I'm renting the dorm. It's not free.
It's university, dude, not high-school.

>next you will try to make some excuse about not being american
Not american.

>hope you enjoy your 10 trillion dollar debt if you are the unlucky one the content industry goes after.

Prove it. What incentive does a school have to require students make their own deals with an ISP and run cabling through their building?

something as fucking trivial as that does not require its own fucking thread.

come back when you have something to discuss, you are on the same tier as the kids who plug a laptop hard drive into the usb port of a raspberry pi and then try to talk about how cool your server is

>lel let me just tell the entire world I'm sharing this illegal copied movie with a few hundred thousand others
>I'm behind a premium private tracker I donated money to so I'm perfectly safe and didn't just give up my personal details to some sketchy motherfucking Russian
I wonder what could go wrong

Hahaha
They don't require us to do it. The building I'm living in isn't owned or controlled by the school.

The university is the university, they don't have any relationship with dorms or stuff like that.

I'm not living on campus. It's just an area where lots of students live.

four fours

Are you retarded? This isn't it's own thread. This is a general. kys

>The building I'm living in isn't owned or controlled by the school.
So, it's not a dorm, then.

Who gives their personal details to a private tracker lol

Nah, I guess not. Sorry for the confusion. English isn't my native language.

sorry, i should have said start a thread if you actually have something to contribute, because OPs post sure as shit isnt worth it.

ITT: Public Tracker Cucks

paypal or a credit card are not anonymous payment methods. Neither is buying btc with said methods.

raspberry pi masterrace

That's ok, buddy.

Who pays for private trackers? Fuck off retard

yeah that fucking blows, especially if you live in a tiered energy area.

i pay a flat $0.08/kwh

my entire setup runs at around 270-300 with my main dl380 g6 pulling most of it

iLO 2 is such a turd...

>implying a tracker can be private
Enjoy fucking your life up because you were just too young and stupid to understand what risks you actually are exposing yourself for. It's like not using the seat belts in your car because you haven't been in a car accident so far in your life.

What are you using your servers for ?

I was thinking of using one for backups because right now i just manually c/p onto flash drives and whatnot. But it doesn't seem like a very useful server.
I have a rpi laying around i could do it just for fun i guess.

yeah but since i have physical access i literally never check it other than maybe once a month to look at power. my ups give me total consumption

i am still looking for one of the HP raid keys though since mine is expired so if i ever want to modify my raid 6 settings i am stuck

>>>/reddit/

Dell PE T620 (2x 2660 / 192GB / 4x 500GB SSD / 12x 3TB)

2x HP DL380 G6 (2x 5660 / 72GB / 8x 300GB)

The T620 runs a couple things in productions (AD, Exchange, Lync, OMV) but mostly Server 2012 / 2016 automation testing.

The HP's are ESXi modified to support MacOS, and runs a combination of Linux and OSX clients, for testing with Windows group policy.

The T620 is on 24x7, the HP's are usually off.

I could never find one of those, but decided it wasn't worth having anyway. iLO 4 is pretty nice, though.

i got a stellar deal on mine, almost wished i bought 2 since the guy had at least 4 of them

2x6 core, 72gigs, 8x300 sas

currently has about 30 vms on it for my lab and since most of them dont see load unless i am testing things the power consumption is low and the thing is quiet as fuck especially compared to my switch

Damn, this isn't what I expected from .
Thought people were gonna be trying to one-up
each-other on how overkill their home server setups are.

What this user said .

IBM x3500 M4: 2x E5-2670, 64GB, 6x 2TB 10K, GTX 980

Pic related is power draw with 3 RDP and 5 SSH sessions while running a pfSense VM processing and scanning network traffic.

And everyone else running HP servers.

ILO full feature key. (Non trial)
35QWK-TN3DN-7T3C9-BXGJQ-Z3V3R

You're welcome.

Most of us just roll with a VPS for git, mail, DNS etc since it has a static IP so you can setup mx records and what not. I have a homebuilt router for firewall, NAT and VPN. Nothing exciting just cheaper and way better than commercial solutions. Don't really see why one would need a home hosted server since the "server" applications in this thread would run on a raspi.

They're good for storage (RAID and more drive bays) and are generally designed for higher uptime and MTBF than a standard desktop.

what about an hp raid key user :3

Sorry user, I don't have one. We run RAID 10 for OS volumes, and SAN for everything else.

What do you even store? I found that just buying netflix, hbo and other streaming services is effortless and legal for media. For music I just store it in one drive. I got 1 TB for free. I even rent movies digitally. It just works. When I data hoarded I don't think I ever rewatched or watched something if I didn't watch it within a day or two from downloading.

I store disk images of three laptops, four phones, and two tablets along with my music, video, and photo library.

Fuck disk backups. I've done so many clonezilla images I never used when actually needed. I guess onedrive just fits my needs nowadays.

flexget
plex
steam game streaming to my laptop

I was talking about the key. I bought my DL380 G6s long ago. It was still in warranty, actually.

How come my Linix Steam cannot see my Windows steam for streaming? Same network I used to be able to stream to the same laptop if it ran Windows

Not sure, it always works for me. Make sure both are logged into the same account and see if its listed here.

doesn't get listed

n__n

Not a big deal as both mat mt by computers are at my bed now and I can just rotate my body to face the other end of the bed to reach my desktop

You SEED torrents?

I'll see you in jail, OP.

The only thing I can think of is that Windows 10 thinks your network isn't private and is blocking it.

When you don't leave in Portugal master race where P2P movie/series sharing is legal

Also if you do get it working enable the overlay and make sure hardware decoding is working, might need to delete the libva libraries in ~/.steam and make sure you have system intel libva libraries installed.

Otherwise it uses a ton of CPU to decode and has shit latency.

Just actually looked into it, disabling firewalld on the linix rig then restarting steam makes it see my other rig so it's obviously a configuration issue with firewalld

Might try actually streaming it later, but might not

OP, if you haven't already invested (wasted) years caring for a plex server at home, the latest version can stream from your Amazon storage. If you want to not host drives 24/7 at home, I mean. Just throwing it out there, because it's a new feature.

I don't use it myself, I just sit at home and fap to Lazy town memes

I'm too cheap to buy a monitor and the TV connected to my server has like 200ms delay.

Maybe if some decent WQHD gsync monitors drop below $300 I might consider it.

I mean, that ain't legal, they just don't give a fuck if you do

I have a HP Microserver which I use to store backups, and a Synology NAS for almost everything else.

Generally I struggle to find a good use for a dedicated server besides just storing files in my current setup.

A VM box might be useful to run awful server shit but almost every solution i've tried has had some sort of retarded problem attached to it.

Buy mining hardware
Laptop motherboard server with ziptied heatsink passive cooling master race
* can replace ram
* better specs
* basically free
* x86
Install deluge and sshd, set up public key auth, mount torrents dir with sshfs, use deluge in client mode to add torrents

>fap to Lazy town memes
Clearly a man of taste

Yeah that's usually the case until they do give a fuck. If they can bribe courts in Sweden to bend the law they certainly can in Portugal.

they "forced" ISP's to "block" P2P sharing sites, but it's laughably easy to get around. And I doubt the big guys will ever come get us, our whole country has the same number of habitants as any major american city, we are just a drop in the ocean

They aren't coming for all of you. Only about 1 to 10 of you initially. You don't really want to be one of those 10. Then we have stage 2 where the copyright trolls that are going to find some exploit with the EU data retention laws to have your personal details handed out. This is happening in Sweden right now. You either pay $500 fine or we take you to court and sue you for 6 gorillion.