Honest Question for OSX Users

What is it you like about OSX. I had to use it in unversity for audio engineering classes since all computers in the art building were macs.
Here are my gripes:

1. The windows do not 'snap' (resize themselves to fit to a fixed portion of the screen by being dragged or with a command)

2. The menu is located on the top of the screen. If my application is not fullscreen (which would be the case if I was trying to read something the screen was positioned awkwardly high due me being in a broken chair), This would require the user to move their mouse farther than they would in any OS with a menu bar located on the application itself in order to interact the application menus.

3. The buttons are on the left and color coded. Even ignoring the eyesore colors why can't they just move them to the right like everyone else?

4. Some of the default shortcuts are just plain stupid. Like ctrl+shift+z for redo.

5. The OS assumes the user will use the same set of programs and loads a lot of them into memory on startup causing lesser used programs to lag. (This may be fixed now, I was using 1 or 2 versions before "El Capitan").

I am well aware that there is software available to remedy some of this, but this isn't Linux I expect it to be complete out of the box. It really seems like a poorly designed OS with un-intuitive features designed to make transitioning to a competing system difficult.

it just werks™

All of your gripes are symptoms of baby duck syndrome. Cred Forums is not your blog - fuck off.

>OSX
Found your problem.

I haven't used OSX but Ctrl+Shift+Z for redo seems much more consistent than the usual Ctrl+y since ctrl+shift shortcuts are supposed to do the 'opposite' of regular shortcuts.

>1. The windows do not 'snap' (resize themselves to fit to a fixed portion of the screen by being dragged or with a command)
Pic related
>2. The menu is located on the top of the screen. If my application is not fullscreen (which would be the case if I was trying to read something the screen was positioned awkwardly high due me being in a broken chair), This would require the user to move their mouse farther than they would in any OS with a menu bar located on the application itself in order to interact the application menus.
I like it to be in a fixed position, you always know where it is and you can use it even if there are other windows obscuring where it would be in a Windows program
>3. The buttons are on the left and color coded. Even ignoring the eyesore colors why can't they just move them to the right like everyone else?
Are you retarded? Loads of Linux distros have them on the left and the colors are the same as US stop lights (green: "Go fullscreen" yellow: "clear the screen" red: "stop the program")
>4. Some of the default shortcuts are just plain stupid. Like ctrl+shift+z for redo.
Is this not what it is in Windows? Also it's command-shift-z, we get an extra modifier key instead of Start
>5. The OS assumes the user will use the same set of programs and loads a lot of them into memory on startup causing lesser used programs to lag. (This may be fixed now, I was using 1 or 2 versions before "El Capitan").
I normally open my web browser before anything else, so I like this feature. If you're all over the place opening different shit every time you start up then that's just a use case issue.

I am looking at it from the point of a normal user. I use Kubuntu on my desktop and arch on my laptop.

For whatever reason, the version I had did not have snapping or it was disabled by an administrator.

Undo is ctrl+y in windows, I find 3 key shortcuts annoying, but I have gotten used to it since emacs.

I think the extra modifier was a good idea since it freed up the alt key to type special characters.

Snapping was included in Mavericks IIRC. Now that you mention it ctrl-y seems like a shitty shortcut for redo, you have to stretch all across the keyboard to use it. One thing I don't like about macOS over everything else is that cut/paste isn't supported ootb, you have to install an app for it but it's just an extra second to move the file into the trash after you copy it.

cmd c to copy, cmd v to paste, cmd option v to move (equivalent of cut and paste)

user, I've been using Macs for over a decade and I didn't know that was an option. I feel like a fucking idiot having not known that.

I've only been using them for like 2 weeks lol

There's no one magic bullet that makes it a perfect OS, or anything. It's my favourite because of a bunch of things; some of them are quite major, others are tiny.

A major one is software quality. A lot of OS X software (both third party and Apple) is well thought out, tested, and polished. Sketch, Paw, 1Password, Dash, Vox, Xcode. Even cross platform apps tend to have a lot more effort put into their OSX versions than e.g. Linux ports. Sublime Text and iDEA work very well. Even MS Office is solid (at least the 2016 version).

Another big deal for me is software dev... it's my job and having a proper native UNIX-y environment is huge compared to Windows and hacks like cygwin and msys's shells.

After that, it's little things. A general polish and consistency which is lacking in Windows and nonexistent in any Linux distro. It does what I expect. I very very rarely get frustrated by it.

I have a Windows VM going right now because I need to use VS, and holy shit using it is raising my blood pressure. I had to turn off a whole bunch of semi-important stuff (Update, Firewall, UAC) because otherwise it gets in my way with a never ending barrage of bullshit. It's almost at the point where I'd rather use desktop Linux than Windows now.

Now to address your points
>1. The windows do not 'snap'
Granted. I actually forgot that, because BetterTouchTool is the first thing I install.

>2. The menu is located on the top of the screen. [...] This would require the user to move their mouse farther
This took some getting used to, but only because I had always used Windows. As for having to move the mouse further, that's not a problem at all. Having the controls at the edge makes them easier to press. Google "Fitts's law". Combining the bar for all windows of an app also frees more vertical space for the app itself to use.

>3. The buttons are on the left and color coded. Even ignoring the eyesore colors why can't they just move them to the right like everyone else?
There's nothing right or wrong about either left-hand or right-hand placement. You're used to right-hand so it messes with muscle memory when you have to swap. You'll get used to it. As for the colours, you can change them to gray if you really want. It's not something I ever think about.

>4. Some of the default shortcuts are just plain stupid. Like ctrl+shift+z for redo.
I'm not really qualified to say whether they're stupid or not. It's annoying that they're different from Windows because, again, muscle memory- but Windows doesn't get to set the one true standard.

>5. The OS assumes the user will use the same set of programs and loads a lot of them into memory on startup causing lesser used programs to lag.
Haven't noticed this. Can't comment.

>I am well aware that there is software available to remedy some of this, but this isn't Linux I expect it to be complete out of the box.
BTT is the only thing I'd say is essential. An fresh OSX install is a ton more useful than a fresh Windows install, IMO.

>and you can use it even if there are other windows obscuring where it would be in a Windows program
but its never gonna be obscured from your active window...

Gimp is probably the best example for this but I'm certain there are other programs as poorly designed for Windows as Gimp around

you can merge all the windows into one single one for gimp
that aside menus should really be avoided when keyboard shortcuts are so much faster

>1. The windows do not 'snap' (resize themselves to fit to a fixed portion of the screen by being dragged or with a command)
I think they can as of 10.10, but I don't like that behavior so it's good for me.

Also use keyboard shortcuts.

>but this isn't Linux I expect it to be complete out of the box.
ur incomplete out of the box!

>>>>>>>"""""""""""""NORMAL USER"""""""""""
>Kubuntu
>Arch

Yeah, no. Fuck off.

alright, that's pretty fucking slick

nothing

i just use it because my job requires MS werd and emacs on windows sucks shit

>Mission Control
>Spotlight
>global menu bar
>great keybinding setup
>commercial application support and can run a bunch of Linux software
>display server isn't X11 but can still run X11 alongside Quartz Compositor for graphical Linux applications
>the UI animations
>what makes trackpads good is the software, OS X is best at that, not to mention glass clickpads are the best you can have physically as well (at least that's my preference)
Really the only downside is HFS+, which I don't use at all on my PowerBook because Tiger can be installed on UFS but am stuck with for at least the root partition on El Capitan.

I used to run OS X a days ago just for give it a try . The fucking Finder application is shit. Why the backspace button doesn't go back a folder? Why If I hit the delete button the file doesn't delete and I have to drag and drop like a retarded to the thrash bin. ?

Not to mention the lack of filesystem support (ntfs, ext4..) and the retardation of making a fucking DS STORE file in to every fucking folder.

switched to Linux again (permanently) never going back either to mac OS or Windows. I don't understand how can anyone actually use it.

/blog

It worked fine for me, the only issue was navigating the fs was a mess.

gimp is by no means representative, this multi-window approach is pretty rare

This has been possible since El Capitan last year. Pic related (inb4 WebM autists).

This year in Sierra you can also snap windows together by their edges, and automatically expand windows to any side or corner of the screen by double-clicking the corresponding side or corner of the window.

>2. The menu is located on the top of the screen.

Having the menu bar on top means there is always a fixed, consistent place from which users can find the set of an application's commands.

It's also a good example of Fitts's Law, where the user doesn't have to point precisely at a menu bar floating somewhere on-screen; he can just throw his mouse cursor up top.

They're color-coded to standard traffic signals: green = fullscreen, yellow = minimize, red = close.

As for the placement of the buttons, it's not any better or worse than in Windows; it's just different. Also, it's much easier to just use the standard keyboard shortcuts.

You mean Command+Shift+Z. This actually makes sense, as Redo is just a reverse Undo (Command+Z).

>5. The OS assumes the user will use the same set of programs and loads a lot of them into memory on startup causing lesser used programs to lag. (This may be fixed now, I was using 1 or 2 versions before "El Capitan").

I have no idea what you're referring to here. You can configure your own Login Items from System Preferences. If not there, there are also the LaunchAgents and StartupItems folders in ~/Library and /Library.

As a general rule, avoid installing questionable third-party apps that disregard best practices on macOS and put their config files anywhere they feel like it.

You cannot be serious here

You actually thought copy and paste wasn't a default feature in a prominent operating system?

>Why the backspace button doesn't go back a folder?

Command + [

>Why If I hit the delete button the file doesn't delete

Command + Delete

>Not to mention the lack of filesystem support (ntfs, ext4..)

NTFS read-only support is included out of the box. There's also FUSE if you need to use additional file systems.

>the retardation of making a fucking DS STORE file in to every fucking folder.

It's a config file that stores the individual Finder view settings of that folder, similar to desktop.ini in Windows Explorer.

Stay on Linux, special snowflake autist.

I have a Mac right now but it can't even handle lighter games like Rust, The Sims etc. Feels bad man.

It's a shame, apart from that I love every other OS feature much more than Windows as mentioned above. Looks like I'll have to get a Windows PC anyway since there aren't any other options with better hardware and a decent price point.

>I had to use it in unversity for audio engineering classes since all computers in the art building were macs
>had to
>had to use mac in uni
>had
>to
>use mac
fucking drop that "university" and switch to a real one

>1. The windows do not 'snap'
Not out of the box, you'll need Better Snap Tool.

>2. The menu is located on the top of the screen. This would require the user to move their mouse farther.
I guess. Though you always know where it is, and that it isn't hidden by the Alt key. It's rather rare that I use the top bar for anything to be perfectly honest.

>3. The buttons are on the left and color coded.
The titlebar buttons? The colors are pretty obvious if you ask me. Several Linux distros have them on the left. This is not something OS X has exclusivity of. Needless to say, you get used to it.

First off, it's not Ctrl + Z, it's Command + Z. How is Command + Shift + Z less stupid than Ctrl + Y? The Y key is further away, makes less sense since Command + Z is undo.

>5. The OS assumes the user will use the same set of programs and loads a lot of them into memory on startup causing lesser used programs to lag.
What? I have never noticed this at all.

Now I won't deny that OS X has some weird shit just because it wants to be different (like how the keyboard is different just because it wants to, even if some keys makes more sense and others are retarded). The things you mentioned are barely an issue compared to other things Apple has decided to go full hipster on. It's more like you being Microsoft indoctrinated and thus anything else is "retarded".

>I am well aware that there is software available to remedy some of this, but this isn't Linux I expect it to be complete out of the box. It really seems like a poorly designed OS with un-intuitive features designed to make transitioning to a competing system difficult

So basically you're shitting on a platform because you aren't used to it yet.

>i don't understand how the real world works

Cred Forums Pass user since August 2013.

>3. The buttons are on the left and color coded. Even ignoring the eyesore colors why can't they just move them to the right like everyone else
Wut.

>those retarded keybindings
>calling me autist

go back to the apple store faggot

>3. The buttons are on the left and color coded.
Only by default.
>Even ignoring the eyesore colors why can't they just move them to the right like everyone else?
Apple did it their way first. They don't need to change shit just because something else is now more popular.

There's some nice software available for OSX which either doesn't have an alternative on windows/osx, or the alternative completely sucks. Usually I know what to expect when running software designed for OSX.

I can also use emacs line editing shortcuts in text boxes, which comes in handy.

Never really found much of an issue with the single menu thing. If anything i'd say it makes it easier to access the main menu, since it's always in the same place on the screen you can just flick up and hit the right sub-menu.

Also I don't particularly like windows 10 (besides gaming), and linux tends to be an inconsistent mess.

apple started putting nice screens in their devices. you couldnt go wrong asking the purchasing department for macs because you would get a nice screen anyway. you need this for art. ask for a windows computer and they go and buy shitty thin clients that the IT guys will like you to use. and then count a few beans leaving you with an economy monitor. following from this, if you worked in art or design, you found that the macs were simply better. following from this, everyone in the arts department used macs.

also macs have fucking stupid bullshit like clearing the eram, if you dont unplug every usb device it wont clear it properly so you literally get a bricked computer from their shitty computers not allowing you to just hit the reset button when it crashes. then theres that stupid key combination and startup sequence to clear the paging file shit.

Calm the fuck down

1. Moom.

2. Instead of every goddamn window having its own menu 100% of the time, the window in focus has a menu at the top of the screen. It saves space.

3. Don't use those shitty buttons. I don't on my Macs. CMD+W/Q is your friend.

4. Oh, totally. The shortcuts are weird. But they're only really weird in the context of Windows.

5. This works great when you have a decent amount of RAM. Maybe you didn't.

Kid has a bad case of rubber ducky syndrome and needs to stop comparing shit to what his special snowflake OS does.

Epic useless bloat masquerading as an OS.

jealous

I feel a deep sense of pity for people who use OSX.

Like a beautiful drug addict. Maybe there was once something worthwhile, but the immersion in cancer has made you unable to break out of your ways.

Muh rockband!!!!

Enjoy your dead OS while I use FL studio in Windows.

>Windows user
>thinking he has any right to judge others' choice in operating systems

I just want to clarify that I think 3 key shortcuts should be avoided in general, I don't think the specific comination of keys is important.

Calling them stupid was a bit harsh. I get where they are coming from, add shift to do the opposite of what you did.