Panasonic Let's Note

Anyone had experience with these?

They look aesthetic and fuck and seem durable.

Are these basically the Thinkpads of Japan. Why don't they let Americans get a taste of that glorious Nippon hardware.

Do they run Linux well?

Other urls found in this thread:

panasonic.jp/pc/appli/20th_history/
panasonic.jp/pc/?
kakaku.com/item/K0000881731/
kakaku.com/item/K0000831561/spec/#tab
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also, history of the Let's Note series:

panasonic.jp/pc/appli/20th_history/

>no trackpoint

>disk drive
>2016

The RZ one looks neat, but it's too damn expensive.

Japanese don't give a fuck about Linux
They also don't give a fuck about other markets unless they are strictly selling to other markets.

Even if they are selling to markets, they still don't give a fuck, hence why they didn't give a fuck about 4K bluray support in the PS4 Pro

The patent for trackpoint is expiring soon I've heard.

Does that mean we'll start seeing them on more laptops?

>2016
>VGA
>DVD drive

>They look aesthetic and fuck and seem durable.
my sides... they're in orbit. thanks OP!

hahaha

Ops pic makes me tingly.

Where can I buy?

Am I crazy for thinking this looks damn sexy?

OP, that's not from 20 fucking 16.

holy fuck

This isn't an old laptop, the current model is that shitty. All that old crap, shitty keyboard, and no linux, this is a fucking joke.

>stickers
when you see stickers on a laptop, you know it's shit. the more stickers it has, the shittier it is. yours has the maximum of them.

I can't read moonrunes, but for those who can or just want to marvel at the pics:

panasonic.jp/pc/?

That's fucking ugly. It's all the shitty elements from old and new.

That is the worst disk drive I have ever seen on a laptop.

I have one, it's indestructible, light, the battery lasts 7 or so hours and it looks like a relic of the 90s so no one will bother stealing it.

If it were to break, I'd happily buy another.

Mines a CF-N10 btw.

T. Applefag

If they're anything like the Toughbooks, they're worth the price. Panasonic's build quality is second to none, and their shit will last forever.

>Features
>Bad

I'm Let's Note owner.
>expensive than MacBook.
kakaku.com/item/K0000881731/

This is for japanese businessmen.

Why is a Japanese businessman posting on an English-language Futaba clone?

>Let's Note
I would buy one just for the comfy engrish feel

except I have no use case for one

No, it is damn sexy

>the battery lasts 7 or so hours
Wow that's low; is that under full CPU load with max screen brightness?

you don't have to say use case every time you can just say use sometimes

I'm not businessman. I'm student.
I bought it as teaching material.

panasonic laptops are much better than thinkpads

Panasonic actually made the Ti Powerbook G4's for Apple.

Nope, just a 3 year old laptop with a small battery.

Aside from the lettering on the keyboard getting on the screen, some nice machines. the 12" too

>Gigantic power indicator

What's the point of this nonsense? I know if the computer is on because it's fucking ON.

Reminds me of the piece of shit Toshiba Satellite I bought back in '09. The thing had a power-on indicator, charging indicator, disk indicator, and like three other indicator LEDs that were completely useless and stupid.

Yeah features are good add a mini toaster as well would get more use than fucking VGA

I'm saving up for an RZ-4

>not saving up for an RZ5

RZ4's expensive enough and more than I need as it is.

But my years-old tiny Eee PC can go for multiple days on battery.

Cheapest 8GB RZ5 is cheaper than the cheapest 8GB RZ4.

>Linux
What vendors really give a fuck about linux, besides when it comes to the tiny amount of consumer grade equipment that ships with linux? It's all neckbeards writing drivers for equipment. They're pretty good at it too. My experience with drivers have been better on my x220 and t520 with debian than on windows.

I distinctly remember seeing laptops like this with round trackpads in my Chinese cartoons. Can the metamind deliver up some screenshots from specific works that I cannot recall?

Dell does with developer editions.

But unless you're running generic mass manufactured series like Thinkpads, Elitebooks, Latitudes, Precisions, etc., you're going to have a bad times with linux drivers.

Luckily those are also the only laptop series worth buying.

The fuck is wrong with an optical drive? They're still highly useful.
More features is a good thing.

Well shit, RZ5 it is

Anything a disc can do, a USB drive does better.

>patents
>expiring

If only it were that simple...

USB drives are usually not read only, for security,
and their firmware can get infected with malware.
See BadUSB.

I'd still never buy a new laptop with a built-in CD drive.

Can't rip ISOs without an optical drive and you can't read a flash drive with an optical drive.

>rip ISO
Is this 2005?

ebin

How do you get them delivered to your country? forwarding service?

Also, can you buy them directly from the panasonic site or do you have to get them through a 3rd party vendor? not knowing moonrunes is shitty desu senpai

Can't you read? The Japs need the disk drive for their waifu simulators. Also, dvds are cheap as fuck now.

Kakaku partners with BuySmartJapan. Last time I bought something it redirected me automatically, I'm guessing based on my IP.

I actually remember seeing the super distinctive back of a let's note in some manga. Also pic related.

And pic related.

CF-R8 user reporting in. Use it mainly for portable animu and backups.

Waiting for the Kaby Lake refresh of the SZ series. Though if there's one thing I don't like about these laptops its that all models of a generation use the same ULV processor, meaning that if CPUs do another jump like from C2D to i-series then the laptop deprecates fast.

Also, it only shows up in IE since this is Japan.

kakaku.com/item/K0000831561/spec/#tab
Oh wow.

> Fn button to the far left
it better have a swap function in BIOS otherwise it's pure trash

>remove optical drive
>add another disk with caddy

Glorious t.bh

Japan-san here. I have seen these as scrap computers in Akihabara(our silicon valley). I think some of the drivers might be a bit odd on this machines if you install linux however im not sure. You can buy these things for around $10 in questionable conditions.

Bullshit. I still have an extra vga monitor lying around

>2channel being Cred Forums plebs
>Cred Forums getting told

i had to use the CF-AX2 for a week and the build quality is definitely a step above what im use to with Thinkpads (strage since Panasonic isn't the manufacturing power house it use to be)

These get posted pretty often on here, a lot more than Toughbooks which is the line Americans most encounter Panasonic laptops in if at all. The Japanese value high quality that you use almost indefinitely which is in stark contrast with our cheap Chinkshit mentality. Let's Note are Made in Japan for businessmen at a price point the average American consumer balks at when it's not a MacBook or a gaming laptop. Still if you're determined this premium is for you, snag one on Rakuten Global which is much more affordable than being Jewed by Dynamism's import price (Dynamism has a warranty though).

Panasonic has the manufacturing capability to make every part of the laptop themselves and they do that. They may not be as large as they were before, but there is still a place on the market for high quality electronics in an ocean flooded with Korean trash.

you have obviously never had to troubleshoot anything in your short and boring life

You forgot that it also has a headphone jack. In 2016. Silly, right?

Overpriced, ugly, overrated, and underpowered.

As japanese as it gets.

Rz4 and rz5?

Wait what happened? Last time I remember rz2 was the first and it costs up to $1500 USD. Was the rz2 a huge success or something?

Can I install anything other than Windows 10 on a CF-RZ5? I want one so badly but Windows 10's a deal breaker.

>Let's Not

Don't confuse them with the older C2D models like the W5 (I think). Panasonic likes to reuse case layouts for years, so often two different products will look almost identical, like the CF-30 and CF-31.

I knew they reused case designs and never thought of getting an old model, I might just pick up an older one purely for aesthetics.
Given my current laptop's an Atom N270 netbook it'd even be an upgrade

It's a fairly generic (and old) looking laptop

Fuck, are those WUXGA screens?
I'm fuckin sold!
And those tiny bezels…
>orgasm intensifies

Went from X61 to X200 to X1C, but nothing after the X61 felt comfy.

But how's the keyboards on the let notes? Te X61 was godly, but the X1C, not so much…

A bit harder to press than the thinkpad's. The real issue however is the lack of a US layout (unless you get the American toughbook models)

Also wanted to add that you can get old models second hand from fromjapan or any other forwarding service that connects to Yahoo auctions

brehs they have localized versions

too bad the RZ line doesn't exist outside asian markets

This, I just want an RZ5 with an ANSI return key

Toughbooks aren't Let's Notes senpai. They're not as light, and don't have as much battery life.

the model i posted boasted 8 hours of battery life on it's amazon page. i'll admit i was only looking at the form factor though.

what's preventing you from just going on amazon.co.jp?

crazy how expensive these things are, i had no idea

i saw a bunch of them, functional but without hard drives, in hard-off recently. the equivalent of like $20 each

I work on Toughbooks in the UK and they're unlike any other laptop I've ever seen. I've fully stripped and repaired CF-19s, CF-T7s and CF-C1s mostly, and I really like them. The major downside to these machines are the drivers - unless you have a recovery disc you have to follow a certain order when installing the drivers or they won't work.

These machines are also way more business oriented than ThinkPads, and tougher overall, but our users still manage to find a way to break them.

If you can pick one up second hand, keep in mind you're paying a premium for the price alone. Businesses are loyal to Panasonic and the demand is pretty high, so you could probably get a TP with the same specs for like 50% less in some cases.

TL;DR - High quality, high price!

They're well priced on the secondhand market. I got a 5500 dollar CF-30 for 250, and a 2000 dollar CF-53 for 350.