Fell for the GNU/Linux meme

>fell for the GNU/Linux meme

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/o6EDlOp-NA4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Install Gentoo.

I like it. The only reason I don't switch full time is gaymen and the Adobe suite. I'm thinking of getting a second gpu just for windows virtualization

Then drop the meme

Using windows 10 pro right now, cortana is utter garbage, windows speech recognition is still the same as in 7, windows Linux subsystem is a joke.

System is slow and bloated and the fonts look horrible. Cortana can't even close a fucking program. Speech recognition and cortana won't work inside your browser. Cortana won't read your google calendar events.

Not even close to siri 0/10

I doubt he tried a distro without GNU software because those are for autists. I'm pretty sure he tried GNU/Linux.

>used GNU/linux before it became a meme
>talked to Linus and Stallman on comp.os.minix
youtu.be/o6EDlOp-NA4

Nah, pretty sure Systemd/Linux ;^)

>not wanting a full free operative system and software that you can always check the source code to be sure that no one is spying on you

to be honest I can't feel comfortable using let's say Google Chrome or Windows 10. it feels like faping to a security camera

Your equivalence is wrong because:

1.- Systemd is just a minor part of the OS, whereas application software is literally the most important part of the OS; people use the OS for the application software.

2.- There are still plenty of distros without systemd. If you tried to name all the distros that don't bundle GNU software you'd be lucky to find 10 out of the 10000ish, I only know of 3.

How about you stop parroting other people's arguments and start thinking for yourself so you can realize why they're wrong? GNU/Linux makes perfect sense.

X11/Linux ;^)
Stop being a GNUfag. Your logic has flaws.

When I am asked to explain the difference between Windows and Linux, I often
use a toy analogy.

Windows is like a Game Boy. You go to the store and buy one all shiny new in the
box. You take it home, turn it on and play with it. Pretty graphics, cute sounds.
After a while though, you get tired of the game that came with it so you go back
to the store and buy another one. This cycle repeats over and over. Finally, you go
back to the store and say to the person behind the counter, “I want a game that
does this!” only to be told that no such game exists because there is no “market
demand” for it. Then you say, “But I only need to change this one thing!” The
person behind the counter says you can't change it. The games are all sealed up in
their cartridges. You discover that your toy is limited to the games that others
have decided that you need and no more.

Linux, on the other hand, is like the world's largest Erector Set. You open it up
and it's just a huge collection of parts. A lot of steel struts, screws, nuts, gears,
pulleys, motors, and a few suggestions on what to build. So you start to play with
it. You build one of the suggestions and then another. After a while you discover
that you have your own ideas of what to make. You don't ever have to go back to
the store, as you already have everything you need. The Erector Set takes on the
shape of your imagination. It does what you want. Your choice of toys is, of course, a personal thing, so which toy would you find
more satisfying?

GNU/Linux is the best middle ground between unusable garbage (Windows) and "where-are-the-programs/drivers?"

OSX is GNU/Linux for retards.

Not even him, but that's even worse.

You can still have a perfectly functional userland without X11.

You've obviously have never used a remote tty in your entire short life.

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

Yes and you can have a perfectly fine userland without GNU.
But no other software packager has the need to put a shitty pronounced prefix in front of Linux, just because it coexists.

(An operating system)!= (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

You're either too stupid to understand or to immature to yield. X11 is not relevant enough to warrant that, whereas application software is the whole and only reason why people use an OS. Also the amount of stuff from GNU in GNU/Linux distros is overwhelming, with most distros the kernel is barely a fraction of the total code involved. Then there is the fact that the kernel is easier to replace than the GNU application software itself, for example, you have Debian/Arch/Gentoo official versions that use the FreeBSD kernel instead of Linux, but you can't find a single distro that replaced GNU with something else.

Bottom line is that not only GNU/Linux is right, but that saying it that way is giving way too much credit to the kernel. For example, it wouldn't be a stretch to call it GNUOS wL, and then you could name the alternative kernel distros consistently such as GNUOS wFreeBSD and such. Stop getting cocky Lincucks, the important part is the GNU software.

Not him, GNU has it's own Linux version, which makes GNU project a complete OS :)

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Which is a fork of Linux, bravo.

>too much credit for the kernel
U wot mate? It's literally the core of every distribution.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.

Thanks for listening.

True, but Linux-libre is a complete kernel. So anything Linux can do, GNU can do that plus more

I hereby claim my victory
>Took me only 2 posts

One of the best choices in my life.

And it only took them 20 years to manage a full OS all on their own? Wow!

Calling a fork a victory
My fucking sides are into orbit

Back to HURD with you, oh wait it doesn't work as good ad Linux in the first place. But well take it and claim the right to prefix the name is
>freedom

GNUfags everyone!

>U wot mate? It's literally the core of every distribution

And yet its creation and development involve less work than the application software it supports. Also it's not the reason why people use the OS, the application software is. Also can be replaced easily with other kernels that still support the application software. Linux is fine and it's a kernel, but it's not special in any way. GNUOS wL would be fair enough.

>hahahah you guys won but you took a few years, jackasses you suck hahahaha

Yikes! that's coming out too salty, user.

Just let it go, It's over :)

A Linix distrubution uses Linux by definition and by name, faggot.

>salty
Nah, i find you GNUfags hilarios with your flawed logic :'D

>Yes and you can have perfectly fine userland without GNU

Unless you're using busybox because you need to run Linux on a fucking Tamagachi, gnu-sysutils+gnu-coreutils is literally your fucking userland.

Part of the OS sure, as is X11. Catch my drift?

>won
>implying two decades is "a few years" when GNU is only 34 years old

Keep telling yourself that,freetard. I can't wait until your fat, irrelevant, disgusting pedo idol finally dies of a heart attack, or gets his throat ripped out fucking a cockatoo

>Calling a fork a victory

Not him but I could say that

>calling a fork (plus a lot of third party application software) of a clone of UNIX your own OS

If what he said isn't an OS then GNU/Linux should be named GNU/UNIX. Of course the problem with that is that UNIX doesn't want to be associated with such a piece of shit as Linux.

>A Linix distrubution uses Linux by definition and by name, faggot.

And that's exactly what the wL stands for, "with Linux". It's not Linux with a few elements of GNU software, it's a lot of GNU software running over some kernel called Linux.

Don't bother him, he knows he lost miserably, it's about protecting his pride now.

>what are embedded systems
There's literally thousands if not millions of machines and devices running Linux without any gnushit.

Yet you can't escape GNU from your desktop

>tripfags declaring victory over anything besides staying a kissless virgin

If the only thing you can do to talk back is to insult him it sure looks like you lost though.

You know what they say, you know you won when your opponent resorts to ad hominem

:)

Sure I can. It's called Windows 7, fucknugget.

See, over here in the land of people who aren't autistic, I don't waste time with an OS that will never see a double digit desktop market share

Ignore tripfags.
Everything needed to be said is being said.
Gnufags on full damage control ITT after being BTFO. Enjoy and grab some popcorn.

>tripfag cancer
>winning

>Gnufags on full damage control ITT after being BTFO.

You can only delude yourself for so long Lincuck.

>Windows 7
Why not windows 10? Are you too autistic to let go of your outdated OS?

You do realise the latest generation of CPUs are not going to work with windows 7, right.

It's just Microsoft strongarming you into windows 10 and you are bound to submit like a docile (cucked) ""man"" :^)

It's so easy to get them rustled. A little copypasta here, a dash of calling them autistic there... And they go into full on smug fedora mode thinking they're somehow "superior" for being a basement dwelling neckbear with no friends.

I'm not the delusional one here ;^) Back to >>>/HURD/ with you, shoo!

No. I don't. Spell out your stupidity so I can actually understand, because if we are running off of what the UNIX spec defines as an operating system, Linux by itself doesn't even have multiuser support, let alone SUPPORT FOR THE CONCEPT OF A USER IN GENERAL.

Posted from your GNUOS wL distro?

Yes, quality always shitposting. I love it, the last remains of Cred Forums culture.

>implying intel is the only company making cpus

AMD will work just fine for the foreseeable future.

Android has no GNU
>inb4 hurr phoneposter durr

Zen only works with windows 10, not outdated windows' :^)

That's where you are wrong

It's a shame it's dying out under this new generation of retards flooding Cred Forums because of all the attention it's getting in politics.

The one and only reason to praise RMS. He's the ultimate meme, newfags constantly fall for it.

>completely ignores my mention of busybox

Your point is moot anyway we're strictly talking about Unix operating system and I'm positive you'll never want to control file permissions or run vim on your literal toaster, jackass.

Android doesn't have any gnu software. Even rms said the only similarity between Android and "GNU/Linux" is the Linux kernel.

Not anymore. Let me post a screenshot real quick

>buying latest generation CPUs
>not buying several years older ones because they aren't overpriced and performance hasn't improved by much
Stay dumb win10cuck.

>similarity

Google/Android is not GNU/Linux and strictly speaking it doesn't use the Linux kernel though.

>inb4 I build my own with AOSP

How does it feel leaving out all the somewhat useful stuff and being proud about it retard?

Debunked

>doesn't use the Linux kernel

Sure.

Then Linux is MINIX and MINIX is UNIX, and therefore Google/Android is Google/UNIX. It looks like you're the retard.

I refer you to

Okay

Let me grab some Bag/Popcorn with my wheels/car from the local drug/store.

>sudo
You just showed in that one command that you're running a modified system. Nice fail.

>Fell for the K-series processor meme during Ivy Bridge
>No VT-d
>I could be running GNU/Linux and have Windows 7 as a VM with passthrough for muh gaymes, but no VT-d on unlocked K-series (at least from this gen) means no GPU passthrough
>I don't even overclock my CPU and have the stock Intel cooler on it
>I'm a poor third worlder and can't afford to get another CPU

Hold me ;_;

There is no terminal emulators in vanilla android, retard

>wanting to taint your distro with windows

>sudo: command not found

Not him, but you just showed in one post that you can't read

No, but you can still connect to an Android device and start a shell with adb. Therefore, you can access the shell on an unmodified system.

Completely stock Android does not include any GNU utils for a very good reason: the OS is released under the apache license, and CAN'T include software released under the GPL

I actually meant su, but thanks for showing you're a pedantic cunt just like every other freetard

Can't but there's still GPL in there or LGPL

That's why Jewggle is making their own proprietary OS these days to replace Android, likely 2017 is it's first beta release.

Android will be dead in 2 years

lol retard trying hard on that damage control
>own proprietary OS these days to replace Android
where?

Android will never die as long as Custom ROMs are out there.

Install BSD

>presentation of facts is damage control
You didn't get told "no" very much as a child, did you? Mummy's special little man always gets extra tendies, huh?

No.

>presentation of fact
>"I-I actually meant that on this! trust me" is presenting facts
hehehehe turdbrain

I legitimately can't wait.

The idea of one OS for my phone, laptop, and set top box where I can share my configs across all of them with Google drive makes me very happy. I think that will be the thing that finally gets me away from Windows.

Explain:

1. How is su evidence of "system modification"?

2. How can I not be pedantic when your vague bullshit requires petty clarification?

>Inb4 Google it retard

No need. I know for a fact unrooted and unmodified stock Android have su and sysutils. Don't need Google to tell me you're a fuckboi.

>unmodified Android has su
The fuck it does, retard. There would be no point to unlocking bootloaders to install the su binary, or using exploits to inject the binary. You're so full of shit it's actually amusing. Stock Android does NOT come rooted, numbnuts.

Actually, allow me to correct myself...

It does not come with su having the correct permissions, nor in the right location, for the daemon to run at boot, so on a totally stock Android system you cannot USE su without modifying the system by injecting/flashing a new su binary that runs at boot

Oh did I say su? I meant a root account.

Don't be so pedantic senpai. :~)

My point about sysutils still stands. Lick my tip any time now. Haven't got all day.

No thanks. You may enjoy engaging in homosexual practices, but I do not.

/thread

>Gay men

75% of my Steam library runs flawlessly on my Arch install. Just like MasterCard, for everything else, there's WINE.

>Adobe suite

GIMP and Krita. For everything else, see above.

/thread

Really the main thing pissing me off on windows is the terrible font rendering. It looks like ass, honestly.