Raspberry Pi Thread

Posting this from Raspbian w/PIXEL. Intel/AMD fags BTFO. Boot times are hella fast, MicroSD cards are the new SSD.

Okay, but srsly guise, this is a damn fine computer for $35.

>angry birds processor
It's cheap for a reason lmao.

$15 orange pi pc destroys your shitty single core piece of junk

It only beats the original Pi, but the 2 and 3 crush it, especially in graphics.

>implying arm isn't the future
You're about a dumb nigger.

Actually pi 3 only, but still op is only using a pi, not a pi 2 or 3.

A theoretical orange pi that does not destroy itself will destroy a pi.

$9 chip still has no gpu.

Fuckin $35 and i can do everything except play games, which you need a windows pc for anyway.

Haven't tried pixel yet, is it awesome or what?

I have an Odroid-XU4? Does that count?
I only really use it as an emulation box though.

Pixel is just riced LXDE

I have one but I don't use it for anything. It's cool, but I don't really need it. Maybe I will find a use for it one day

it's a damn fine computer

it's ok to watch films with it using kodi but it sucks trying to browse the web with it. i use mine as a media center.

>install Kodi
>watch fun stuff
>have fun?

Now if someone would think to cram it with a $100 screen and $200 worth of batteries and sell it for $1600

I already have 2 desktop computers and 3 laptops in my house I can use for that. I also have a smart TV that does streaming by itself.

The most interesting thing I've done with it is try out RISC OS since there's not really very much unlocked consumer grade RISC hardware you can buy these days

MacBook comes with 8GB of RAM, RPI has 1GB. And the MacBook has an intel x86-64 CPU and not an ARM processor from a 5 year old low-end smartphone. And good luck buying another laptop with a screen as good as the MacBook's

you can get a complete system with amlogic s905 for the same price.

I don't like the fact that the macbook is so thin, and the keyboard is kinda crap, but it is a very attractive device to businessmen that need to travel a lot.

Goid luck sucking any less dick, you flaming faggot.

He's right though. I'm not sure if it justifies the cost, but by HP's pricing of the spectre, it actually seems reasonable.

Yeah i saw a sony vaio the other day or like $1400. Must be totally worth it.

>>TFW I WANT ONE OF THE NEW ENVIES SO BAD

I have a 3 running retropie with kodi. Pretty badass.

I also have a zero, but I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet. Any suggestions?

Is rpi3 good for learning linux servers?

Depends on what kind of server nigs

Yes mofo it is. Just pick a minimal project and jump the fuck in. Im talking anything: web server, networking, etc. It's perfect.

>Have their touchscreen
>Have the necessary power supply
>Everything's too small to click on whenever you use Kodi on it.
>When you even click on a massive button the cursor spazzes about everywhere, doing everything that causes the pi to lock up.

It's a good display at least. Just need a good thing to display on it, I currently use runeaudio on it which is pretty gud.

>can't run x86 software
>lower performance-per-watt than x86
>Horrible IPC
Oh yeah bro the year of the ARM desktop is here just like the year of the linux desktop.

Which emulators doe sthe pi 1 run full speed?

Best way to collect dust

Yes, you can create pretty much any server on a personal scale.

I installed Retropie on one a few days ago, runs everything up to Dreamcast flawlessly, some PSP also works. Added 2 chinese PS2 gamepads and its nice for some light games.

How is the Odroid? Im considering one... Already bought most other boards.

Almost all pre N64 systems I believe

>x86 software
Irrelevant. Just compile the software for ARM.
Distributions actually do this for you!

OVERCLOCK FTW

>compiling shit for an OS with less than 2% marketshare fragmented into 1 trillion distros incompatible with each other
wew

Would there be any noticeable power consumption difference between a "lite" Raspbian installation and the full version (that includes a DE, bunch of programs and shit) if both are left headless, seeding a bunch of torrents?

The user can compile it on their own, if the distribution doesn't do that already.

That doesn't even make any sense on any level. plz go.

Using as vpn WiFi router

>add another distro to the trillions of incompatible ones in existence

fragmented loonix with already less than 2% marketshare = fragmented software = horrible ARM support

Just Android on the shit pie 2, at least you will be able to play angry birds for a few minutes before it runs out of RAM.

they're dynamically compiled binaries, they're fragmented by design. the linux distros all use the same exact executable format, all the system code written in portable C.

There isn't any sort of arbitrary subsystem of linux that holds back software, even pulseaudio or systemd are heavily optional.

Literally 100% of everything is compatible, just have to pick between literally having all the versions available. That's determined selectively by distros taking their own custom use cases in account.

>add another distro to the trillions of incompatible ones in existence
You don't have to do anything but publish the source code.

How/where do you host the files you want kodi to have access to? I'm thinking of buying one to set up as a media centre, but I have no idea how to make all the content available to it.

>x86 software

holy shit youre dumb

whats the board on the right?

>trillions

android confirmed number one most used operating system

Nice pic there, even if it does not take phones into account... Which all run on ARM processors... And out number x86 systems(by a lot), seriously even starving kids in Africa have smartphones.

>Android = loonix
I love this meme.

yo man Im onboard with this.

Raspberry Pi is great. I use mine as a plug in, sync-SFTP for my code, then unplug. AKA USB but with server capability.

Orange Pi plus 2

i was clearly referring to gnu/linux

Good luck running a stable, fast, power efficient, secure server without Linux.

Windows has less than 2% of the server market.

I run a Plex server on my big machine and use Rasplex as a client on the pie. It's easy as fuck. A 5 year old could set up a Plex server.

It uses the Linux kernel. Linux is just the fucking kernel dipshit.

What you are referring to as... fuck it I don't have time to explain this. Some post the quote

Yet there are more arm devices on the internet than any other.

>arm desktop
>implying desktops aren't becoming deprecated because everything is going mobile

SPARC is the future

Risc architecture is going to change everything

>gentoo
ftfy

RISC-V is the future

and it did

>Linux

WTF dude

>MFW WinXP has more share than Win8

I like how Windows 10 just ate into the Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 portions like some kind of cancer spreading into the cells of two organs at the same time from the seam between them.

What would you suggest if I want to not be tied to my main pc? A nas box, or attaching a drive by usb to the pi directly?

hows the new pixel mate? i have 288 packages to upgrade and using my rpi as server for way too much stuff, im actually afraid to upgrade in case it breaks something

I only just heard of this

anyone have the camera? any good? i was thinking of making cheap wireless security cameras for my house

Any recommendations for a not too expensive 4 inch back-lit screen (no touch) for a pi3?

what's the laziest way of turning a pi into a handheld?

Buying a pspgo on Amazon.

Hold it