Dumb phone general /dpg/

Dumb phone general /dpg/

Checked catalogue, saw no thread. This thread is for people who, by the virtue of their work or paranoia, require phones that aren't smart.

So Cred Forums, looking for a no botnet phone for work reasons. I commission cement plants for a living, so this requires a sturdy dual-sim phone with long battery that can withstand extremely harsh environments, with good call quality. Sometimes I go to shit stain countries (DR Congo next) where reception is spotty and you can't always charge you phone, so long battery life is a must.

Requirements are:
>long battery life. By long I mean 2+ weeks of standby time. Months would be better.
>MUST be dual sim
>simple to use, but can also be a basic smart phone
>sturdy
>resistant to dust/water/heat (basically a tank like the Nokia 3310)
>price < $100 because it WILL break, < $50 would be better

Bonus:
>turn into wireless hotspot
>basic smartphone with extremely long battery life

Been looking at the Nokia 215 as a replacement for my Nokia 1200. What are your thoughts?

tl;dr sturdy phones, dual sim, long battery life for travelling/working abroad

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/T10/32665535048.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bought pic related for my dad.

He couldn't even use it, because the center dpad is so small and doesn't give feedback on click.

I have a Nokia 215 as a secondary phone. I use it when walking/running/jogging or just otherwise being "out there". Survives sweat and drops far better than any smartphone. It's gone even three weeks with one charge.

The only annoyance it has is that there are some useless icons in the main menu (Facebook, Bing, Twitter, etc. you can see in the image you posted) that cannot be removed, but if you turn off data transfers (or don't have a data plan in the first place), they're completely neutered and can do nothing.

It's almost as good as my old trusty Nokia 3310.

>looking for a no botnet phone for work reasons

no phones at all?

>by the virtue of their work or paranoia, require phones that aren't smart.
>paranoia
You realize that dumbphones don't even have encrypted communication, right?

All right, thanks man. Will buy the 215 then, unless something better comes up.

Yeah, forget that part. Was typing in a rush.

Was thinking more about Google, MS or Apple harvesting your user data when you use the phone, like Windows 10.

Which one has a landscape slider and a dann fine web browser?

Preferably in t mobile

Bump for interest

Are there old nokia s40 platform sources or at least some docs how it's architecturally designed? For some reason i'm feeling so fucking nostalgic about old nokia phones, recently downloaded some symbian press books and started learn to program for old s60 symbian phones, kek. But i never seen anything about how more simple s40 was working internally.

>Was thinking more about Google, MS or Apple harvesting your user data when you use the phone, like Windows 10.
Then it would be better to go no google apps AOSP or Cyanogenmod. Keep the phone encrypted and all communication encrypted. Safer than a completely closed source dumbphone without any encryption possibilities.

All right, good to know.

I would totally get a dumb phone. Not really because of paranoia or whatever, just so I spend less time on my phone in general.

>just so I spend less time on my phone in general
Ever heard of self discipline? Just because there's an App Store doesn't mean you *have* to install Candy Crash or whatever.

Ever heard of freedom of choice? If we all bought the same thing nothing else would exist it would reduce everyones options, stop being part of the herd and buy what makes sense for you, let others make up their own minds.

I have the cheapest Samsung dumbphone(think it's E-1200) as my secondary/work calls only phone. Thinking however replacing the phone since it's call quality is getting worse on it(it was allright when I got it few years ago), not to mention battery life is fine on idle, but when I have to take call on it it really drains the battery fast. And it doesn't have bluetooth, which I'd really like for using headset while driving(I drive a lot for my job). So I'm thinking of pic related, mostly due to how it looks, not to mention it has aformentioned bluetooth.

You may not want to hear this but... Your requirements are easily served by any phone within the Lumia line going as far back as the 520 and here's why.

Number 1 - They are dirt cheap, cheaper than any dumb phone you're going to import from anywhere.

There's dual sim versions
They are essentially dumb phones with a touch screen
Sturdy they are and you can get cases for them
They can turn into a wireless hotspot
They have extremely long battery life even longer if you turn off data or limit it to 3G.

As a bonus, they have great cameras, even the cheapest Lumia has an acceptable camera, they have excelent call quality, they have bluetooth in case you need it later, and the non availability of apps while it kills it as a smartphone, it makes this the best dumb phone money can buy.

I would really like to go back to one of these at some point but the one thing I would miss from android is a couple of two-factor authentication programs (particularly the one for my bank). Losing that is a dealbreaker.

Are there any candybar androids though? I guess there would be compatibility issues with pretty much any software available.

>Are there any candybar androids though?

Not in the western world, if at all in the entire world.

But it would be nice to have Android App library in a phone of the format of a normal nokia.

yes it would be perfect

I really thought that with Apple going back to 4" format we'd start seeing smaller android phones but nope. Apple going back to its late 80s and 90s ways is making it realy difficult to sink that money into a SE, android has no choices under 5" let alone under 4.5".

I just don't know what to buy.

I've got a moto e and it's almost too large honestly

>Apple going back to its late 80s and 90s ways
What do you mean?

>I've got a moto e and it's almost too large honestly

I have one to. I'm going to Europe soon and I'm looking for what to buy to take with me, getting a EU version of a Moto E will reach nearly $180 which is insane for that phone.

I could get a Redmi 3, but it's 4" screen...

Almost thinking of finding a new 5S for $150 but then I think back at how the battery life was with iphones before the Iphone 6 and I change my mind and turn back to the SE.

Wiley fox isn't a bad option either, but it is 5" also.

Apple's success for better or for worse, was a product of Steve's management, direction and iron fist over its workers, he was the one who would say yes or no at the ultimate micro management level, which would make him a really terrible boss to work under, but the companies commercial success under his leadership can't be denied. And once it is outside those parameters well you get the shit we're seeing today. IOS7 alone was almost a step backwards with problems we still have today, like more battery consumption because reasons, you get that incremental shit on top of shit and eventually you will not have costumers.

Although it might just be correlation, I can see what you mean.
In the Steve years Apple had one product per line. They wanted to create the perfect thing in every market they competed in. While that might not always have worked, they did seem to try.
As an example: nowadays there are three iPhones instead of the one. The SE, 7 and 7+. While it might be better for profit, it's quite a radical step away from saying "x cm3 is the perfect volume for a smartphone" and introducing a phone to match it. Now the phones don't even have the same features anymore.
If the phones were supposed to be for different markets like their laptops, then why are they not branded as such? The MBair was for portability. The MBpro was for heavy workloads.
In summary, I understand what you mean by Apple going back in time to '85-'97.

Look at the SE for example, I can't say I know what jobs would have done, but I can't imagine him launching a product with a two year old design, literally changing nothing but the innards, there's no way.

In fact the product line of iphones I think is pretty good because they are actually giving you a choice, say Small, Medium, Large.

The stupidity in that lineup is pic related, and removing 3.5mm jack in order to boost profits by selling cables, its deprecating your own product for no good damn reason, I can't see that jobs would have sacrificed battery for specs just for show unless there was an extremely good reason why those specs were needed. It's a number of things like that, like ignoring the ipod line completely, ignoring the desktop and laptop line up every other year instead of updating it every year, ignoring their software, like I said shit on top of shit, and eventually you won't have costumers.

This phone has garnered a surprising amount of female attention.

Truly inspires one to contemplate.

lol Nice. You use it for home/office phone?

Seconded. I've had the Lumia 635 for about a year. Battery is decent, but I also don't try to conserve my battery at all so I don't know how long it can go. It's been a great phone. I've never had a case or screen protector on it (so its completely beat to shit) and it's still fine after multiple drops on concrete and being in my pocket with my keys. I can never spend more than $70 on a phone again since this has never felt too low tech to me.

There is a tank like dumbphone in some 3rd world countries. The price is usually about 10 to 20 dollars. MyPhone MY112 for example.

It's actually my main phone. I used to use one of the Samsung flip phones. I've never owned a smartphone in my life.

I wish there was a jailbreak/custom firmware option available for dumbphones, because the firmware on this phone is absolute ass. For instance, it has about 6 different languages for texting, but no t9 mode. Not that in their right mind should use this phone for texting anyway.

is it heavy? does it work as a battery bank? or is it just a useless void inside?

Utilitarianism and minimalism are one thing.

But then hipsterism and snobbery are another.

By the fact you say things like:
>"Truly inspires one to contemplate",
and brag about things like:
>"I've never owned a smartphone in my life",
you are clearly the latter.

>This phone has garnered a surprising amount of female attention.
I think it's more about the carrier than the object.
That said, interesting phone. What is it?

wow, this post really activated my neurons

Well, I AM a snob (as are most people on Cred Forums, I would imagine). You're not gonna offend or surprise me by saying that.

>"Truly inspires one to contemplate",
That was meant to be a joke. How long have you been on here?

1. Yes, very. Roughly 1kg.
2. You can't charge anything on it, but it does have a 9800 mAh battery which lasts for about 2 weeks of daily use.

Fun fact - if you pry off the white faceplate and remove a few screws, you can add a uSD card and use it to play music. Of course it's completely fucking useless since there'es no headphone support.

aliexpress.com/item/T10/32665535048.html
8000mAh
Dual sim
Looks very sturdy and thick
Only downside I can find is that the black color is out of stock, so you'll have to get it in a horrible gold color.