Apple loses patent retrial, owes $302.4 million

A federal jury in Texas on Friday night ordered Apple Inc to pay more than $302 million in damages for using VirnetX Holding Corp's patented internet security technology without permission in features including its FaceTime video conferencing application.

The verdict came in a new trial in Tyler, Texas that had been ordered by the judge in the case, Robert Schroeder, who last August threw out VirnetX's $625.6 million win over Apple from a previous trial because he said jurors in that case may have been confused.

reuters.com/article/us-apple-suit-virnetx-holdg-idUSKCN1212Y5

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sG9UMMq2dz4
instagram.com/purp.alpaca/?hl=en
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo
joelonsoftware.com/items/2013/07/22.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Oh look, Apple fucks up again and normies don't care because they'll still buy that shit

Who is this semon demon

Damn she's hot.

Why should any consumer care about this?

>Apple steals other people's work

Nothing new here

>apple loses 302$ million over a meme app
ahahaaaaaa face time fucked them hard!

So basically Apple should've paid the original fine? What's the justification for them getting it reduced by 300 million

what are you talking about?

Are you retarded?

Literal demon, no semen

East Texas should not be allowed to host patent cases

>I'm gay

>$302 million

That's chump change for apple

this. They should have punished them more.

Patent troll wins a case and Cred Forums frolics

You people are just idiots

>I'm into bestiality

it's a victory for a patent troll. it should concern all but the most oblivious mall rat consumers.

>I'm not into heterosexuality

>in Tyler, Texas
If you squat on patents, but don't plan on actually making anything this is the best place in the US to go. I hear east Texas makes some great meth too.

>stop liking what i don't like

Apple getting a taste of their own patent-trolling medicine is sweet justice.

That's what you're doing. You literally just memed yourself. It was supposed to be me that posted the to you. You must be new here.

you don't seem to understand what a patent troll is. stop posting if you're a naive retard.

every patent-using company goes to war with their war chest - samsung, MS, apple, google, etc... - and that's a serious problem, but it's completely different from when a patent troll just accumulates patents to antagonize real businesses and hustle them for a quick payout.

these are qualitatively different transgressions. if you don't appreciate that, stop posting.

kek. It's Texas. All there patent laws are insane. Hence all the patent trolls have all their offices there.

Here is a good documentary by the guy who made x-plane:
youtube.com/watch?v=sG9UMMq2dz4

Apple could pay up like tech firms normally do. But at this sum they'll hopefully fight them. At the end of the day only the law firms win.

This is exactly why Apple copyrights things like paperbag.

Fucking Texas.

Every major corporation infringes screws small patent owners somewhere, only those with millions of dollars can even come close to combating them in court.

My grandfather has spent millions and over 2 decades trying to claim dosh for infringement on his patents. He's got $6 mill from South-East Asian companies so far in a settlement. Going against Apple is much more difficult. Basically, he contacts a firm in the US to write up the notice of infringement. 6 months later they get a reply where some team of lawyers have gone over the notice and nitpicked everything and ask for a rewrite up. 6 months later a new notice gets sent. 6 months later Apple replies with the same shit again. This goes back and forth until a decade later and millions spent, a heart attack for my grandfather and it's only now going into court.

>Patent troll just accumulates patents to antagonize real businesses

>Apple: WE OWN ROUNDED RECTANGLES STOP USING OUR DESIGNS
>Qualitatively different

Sure thing, user. Apple is just as guilty of pulling patent bullshit as these guys. They deserve everything they get.

kek

>Every major corporation infringes screws small patent owners somewhere, only those with millions of dollars can even come close to combating them in court.
there's a whole hell of a lot of difference between accumulating patents and not acting on them (that's patent trolling) and generating a fuckton of patents of which many get implemented and make it to market.

there's nothing wrong with a company patenting 100 things and only 10 or 20 of those things making it to market. a breakthrough is no less a breakthrough just because it's not feasible to make a profitable product or service out of it.

the OP story is not talking about that. the OP story is talking about a company that has 100+ patents and has zero products or services coming out of it. their only reason for existing is to shake down companies that accidentally pass within orbit of a vaguely defined patent. these entities represent a threat to all of us.

companies like apple, google, etc... don't exist merely to extort money from others through patent litigation; they amass these patent portfolios almost strictly to discourage litigation like that kind that embroiled apple and samsung in years of lawsuits.

Stfu android fag

you're retarded. did you read any of the news from around that time? were you literate at that time?

So your dumbass Grandfather is a patent troll? Really admirable.

Nice of you to single out Apple, but every major tech company does exactly the same. The difference between them and patent trolls is that they're using the technology in the patents.

See Having a patent means that they must be entitled to use it in litigation. If you're bitching about that, then you're too much of a nigger for anyone to have a conversation with you. The question is about whether the company that holds the patents actually does *anything* with those patents or not. There's not an ambiguous line here, either. There are no companies with a fuckton of patents and 1 product. They're either real companies making real products (Samsung, Google, Microsoft, etc...) or they're patent trolls. One has dozens or hundreds of products spanning the years. The other has precisely none.

Conflating these two groups is wishful thinking on your part.

Because the consumer will have to pay additionally for Apple's fuckups and lawsuits it loses when he buys the next iPhone.

Name brother. must be a model or something so instagram is a must.

>So your dumbass Grandfather is a patent troll?
I don't think you know what that means.

They manufactured telecommunications using the tech covered in their patent for decades but then realized as they started dealing with mobile network providers they had to protect their IP.

Patent law should exist to protect the little inventors but instead it's abused constantly by big companies, innovation is stumped by trolls and little inventors don't want to spend millions and a quarter of their life in court.

I don't know how to fix this. Just abolish it desu baka senpai

this, and every time a company loses to a patent troll, precedent is made that says that this kind of litigation is valid and appropriate. every company's attorneys will have to weigh the guaranteed cost of fighting a bullshit patent against the proposed cost of settlement.

companies like newegg make a point to fight patent trolls even if the troll tries to back down later, but most companies will reasonably get the advice from council to stop beating the horse when it dies, just in case something emerges in discovery that ends up fucking them.

this is a classic case of tragedy of the commons.

>Patent law should exist to protect the little inventors
it does that as well, but its design was not to exclude big companies, and you seem to misunderstand this. any entity that goes from inventing something to bringing it to market should benefit from patents. apple is one of those cases. so is samsung. the whole thing has gotten out of hand, but that's a separate point from patent trolls, who never go from "inventing" to "market".

>Rounded rectangles is technology
>Implying Apple ever invented any technology

This might be legit if Apple ever invented anything worth owning, unfortunately they didn't.

Their computers are full of other peoples' technology.

Their software is just BSD code they slapped some bullshit on top of.

This is why the only thing they can take people to court over is rounded rectangles and squircle icons.

Next they'll be suing people over camera bumps and no headphone jacks because they invented it as a means to pretend their phones are thinner.

>desu baka senpai
why would you end a post like this? are you trying to signal that you're actually just a retarded teenager and we shouldn't take anything you've said seriously?

>This might be legit if Apple ever invented anything worth owning, unfortunately they didn't.
stop being a niggardly retard.

Your frothing zealotry is making you blind to what should be a pretty uncontroversial point.

Not OP, but I found her instagram.

instagram.com/purp.alpaca/?hl=en

I'd marry a black woman that looked this good.

So what did Apple invent, then? Other companies do it because they really did invent shit worth defending. You can't just lump Apple in with them and pretend they're the same.

>He doesn't know about the word filters.

you're obsessing about a design patent that was ruled valid by a court. there are tons of patents that are ruled invalid for various reasons that you could be attacking, and should be if you actually took seriously this whole critique of the patent system.

apple has like 10k patents. many of them are totally uncontroversial and show up in real devices. if you're bitching about that but not bitching about the east texas patent trolls who try to enforce their "shopping cart patent" against newegg and others, then you're just a fucking faggot.

apple has 9,800 patents according to a quick google. do you need us to go through every single one of them or are you just going to harp about that one rectangular device patent that you read about on ass technica?

I'm not saying that Patent Trolling is good, all I'm saying is that Apple has gone to court over incredibly bullshit patents that should never have been granted to anyone and somehow won, and seeing the same shit happen to them is pretty fucking amusing.

and the whole point is that this isn't the same shit, and your inability to recognize that seems like a pretty astounding case of zealotry on your part.

It is the exact same shit though. These guys patented some bullshit that should have never been granted to anyone, took Apple to court over it, and won.

>Other companies do it because they really did invent shit worth defending

Such as?

Did the rectangle patent even get nullified? It was looked at in court, so if it was bullshit as you claim then it would've been thrown out.

I ask because patents get thrown out when they hit the courts - this is why patent trolls back down when Newegg takes them up on their lawsuits (they don't want to risk the patent getting nullified and losing their golden goose), but I don't remember any patents getting nullified (on either side) from that court battle.

If it didn't get thrown out in the San Jose court, then I think it'd be fair to ask you to stop giving us your layperson evaluation of the validity of a patent. Experts fought about this and a jury decided not to kill it. Your opinion is objectively less relevant than theirs. So is mine, and I get that, but the point is just accept the world the way it is in this context.

we've had this conversation in this thread. i'm not typing it out again. if your brain is so fucking small that we need to go in circles because you can't remember 5 posts back, then just stop posting. i feel like i'm babysitting someone with asperger's right now.

Lol my dad owns 10k shares of vhc. Too bad the price didn't move

-Intel, AMD, and Samsung make their own CPUs
-Intel, Nvidia, AMD, Qualcomm, and PowerVR make their own GPUs
-Google has created several of their own open file format and communication standards
-LG, Samsung, and Sharp created their own display technologies
-Intel, Texas Instruments, Broadcom and Atheros along with dozens of other companies created many of the IC components that other companies use in their products.

Apple has done basically none of these things

Even their A-series APUs are basically just modified Exynos chips, and everything else they source from other companies.

>not fucking bitches

By that logic this patent is also valid and Apple deserves to pay damages.

>Apple outsources everything

Basically this
Apple sells stolen ideas along with borrowed tech.

They just know how to market things damn good, they know how to sell a paper bag
nothing else

Nokia got tons of money after apple stole their tech too. Apple is still paying Nokia fees for every iPhone and iPad solid.

Time to switch to ubuntu phone

The town this took place in regularly gets bribes from companies going to trial there. That city hosts more patent cases than anywhere else in the US. It's a haven for patent trolls. Samsung bought them an ice rink.A fucking ice rink in Texas, do you know how much that shit costs?

Apple design their own CPUs
Retina is Apple's

You seem to be implying that manufacturing is equivalent to invention

>Retina
Stop, my sides can only take so much

I'd fuck her eyes out better than any nigger

I don't get it.

You probably used a marketing brandname instead of a more generic term.
I don't really know what HD is called

Oh that wasn't me though. There's over 4000 resolution on non-Apple products like Dell, Samsung etc., that's twice as much as what Apple calls their "Retina Display." I hate marketing terms too, it's retarded.

Retina is not a technology or an invention, it's literally a word that Apple uses for their personal definition of "a display with a density high enough that you can't make out the individual pixels" On iPhones and MacBooks it works out to ~230 PPI.

Companies have been making high-density displays long before Apple used them, and they certainly aren't an Apple "invention."

Why do retina displays look better then?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

Same reason you think a steak tastes better when you buy it from a fancy restaurant rather than cooking your own at home using the same exact recipe.

Cred Forumsentlemen, did you know the trick to find pictures of a user's tagged photos?

Right click the block link of a user and inspect the element to find the user id.

go to search/[USER_ID]/photos-of

I stalk nice womenz like this

Better compared to what?

A 230 PPI display is a 230 PPI display. Doesn't matter if it's on an iPhone or a Sony phone. Hell if anything Android phones right now are leading the pack, some have displays over 500 PPI (arguably incredibly excessive, basically anything over 300 PPI you won't really see a difference).

The point is a Retina display is just a high-density display. They're still using Samsung or whoever they source their panels from's technology. Apple didn't invent some new technology that allowed them to squeeze more pixels into the same space.

>VirNetX Holding Corp's formerly patented internet security technology

Upon re-examination, all of VirNetX's patents have been invalidated by the US Patent Office. They're bullshit - one of the classic patent trolls, and in fact this lawsuit is the sole reason Apple never opened FaceTime as an open standard as they were initially going to (although they sure didn't mind the whole control/lock-in ecosystem thing).

If you're wondering why they're still bothering with the lawsuit, they had not been declared invalid when the lawsuit started, VirNetX have nothing to lose, and when Apple appeal this, the federal circuit may disagree with USPO and declare the patents valid again.

Or so I'm told. I'm not your lawyer, etc etc, only idiots get legal advice from Cred Forums, etc.

Good shit man

The funny thing is they refuse to pay even after being caught

yes, and amazon got a patent for photography on white background several months ago
having a thousands of patents doesn't necessarily mean taht you actaully invented something. besides, you can just, you know, BUY patents, and this is common practice.
joelonsoftware.com/items/2013/07/22.html
exercept: "Nevertheless, a lot of companies large and small have figured out that patents are worth money, so they try to file as many as they possibly can. They figure they can generate a big pile of patents as an inexpensive byproduct of the R&D work they’re doing anyway, just by sending some lawyers around the halls to ask programmers what they’re working on, and then attempting to patent everything. Almost everything they find is either obvious or has been done before, so it shouldn’t be patentable, but they use some sneaky tricks to get these things through the patent office. "

>instagram.com/purp.alpaca/?hl=en
Alright, since this thread is shit anyway. What script are you using to scrape instagram? instaraider isn't working anymore and is abandoned.

>It was looked at in court, so if it was bullshit as you claim then it would've been thrown out.
yes and courts are never biased. That never happens as we can see from the east texas court
don't kid yourself

>instagram.com/purp.alpaca/?hl=en
i bet she smells amazing

/Thread