Why does this cost as much as an ultrabook when chink tablets/emulator machines with better hardware are $100?

Why does this cost as much as an ultrabook when chink tablets/emulator machines with better hardware are $100?

Other urls found in this thread:

indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-intel-z8750-win-10-os-game-console-laptop#/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because the company making it doesn't have the capital nor the factories to mass produce, meaning it costs more for them to make each unit. That cost gets passed to the customer.

Economy of scale.

What would be a reason to get that shit? I like the idea, but I see no reason for it in 2016.

Because you want a UMPC. It's a shitty UMPC, but not like there are many choices for modern ones.

I do see a use for it though, just wish it was cheaper to get a bunch of them. Can even use it as a phone, like a much better smartphone.

I always liked the idea of these.

How much are they? How do they compare to ultrabooks and modern tablets?

There is no use for them. What the fuck are you going to do? Use photoshop on a tiny ass screen?

I'm waiting for the GPD Win. Shit's going to be good assuming GPD is going to deliver.
Pyra is ARM, meaning it's literally an angry birds processor. GPD is a x86-64 Atom, about as powerful as a 2008 PC, enough for me to do some actual DAW work.
DAWs, playing old PC games, basic coding

Because chinks can mass produce their products in sweat shops where the workers are paid 2 cents an hour
keyboard, play modern video games, better for programming, etc.

>I can't find a use so you're not allowed to use them
You're the worst kind of person

>angry birds processor
Thread's over, the shitposter found it.

>play modern video games
bull fucking shit

EVERYONE who wants an open handheld should get an Nvidia shield. I'm fucking sick of autists thinking that linux for arm is a better mobile gaming platform than android. It objectively isn't and it's fucking insane to think so

Because money is a gimmick and humanity is full of theives and easy prey.

That thing can play GTA V. I'm not even fucking joking. After finding that out I actually started to consider getting one.

>linux for arm is a better mobile gaming platform than android
Who the fuck said that? gpd win is x86 with windows 10
Here are some videos of it playing crisis 3 and skyrim:
indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-intel-z8750-win-10-os-game-console-laptop#/

>play modern video games,
haha
were you one of the suckers who bought an Ouya to play Skyrim?

Oh boy! Can't wait to use Eclipse, where the toolbars will take up 80% of the screen and you get to see 2 lines of code.

There is no use for them.

I was talking about the Pyra. My bad, I actually think that the GDP win is a step in the right direction. I'll wait a couple gens and see if it catches on. I'd love to see one with a Core-m Processor; I'd even pay $400 for one

See

Fuck off.

Have fun reading 2 lines of code at a time.

Have fun being a pathetic twat

You too.

I would be interested in Pyra if i could compile x86 programs to make them run under arm, can you do that?

Wow user, you sure showed me with that witty retort.

You sure showed me with that shitty impractical use case.

I never gave you a use case you fucking mong. All I'm saying is if you can't find a use for it then don't fucking use it. Don't go whining about other peoples' choices that affect you in literally no way whatsoever. When you look up the definition of pathetic the dictionary includes a photo of you.

How can you compile platform-dependent programs on other programs?
If it's not platform-dependent, you can.

What's the release date of the Pyra and GPD Win?
Is there anything to compete with these two?

>here's a turd of shit for $300!
>what? You don't like it? There obviously must be a use case for it! Don't complain about it!

>I can't find a use case for it so nobody that actually has a fucking use for it is allowed to want one
user, you're fucking retarded.

>what? You can't find a use case for a this pile of shit? Well someone must have one!

>Is there anything to compete with these two?
Ultrabooks, tablets, phones, and handheld consoles.

People do. Why are you even here? Just hide the fucking thread and go back to arguing about GPUs.

Then name one.

...is that keboard shooped in?

>Ultrabooks
Big
>tablets,
Keyboard-less
>phones,
Small
>handheld consoles.
Basically dead.

SSH, mobile web browsing, old games. There, I named three. Now go eat a dick.

All can be done on phones.

>Pyra
Shit hardware, shit screen, big, deader than handhelds.

GPD win should be shipping this month for pre orderers and will probably come back up for sale soon after the first shipments are done
hacked 3ds or a hacked vita is kind of similar to them
I don't remember when the pyra comes out, it's overpriced and weak

Phones don't have hardware keyboards and gamepads. If you're content using your phone, use your fucking phone
>everyone should have exactly my preferences because fuck choice
I feel like I should remind you that you're the worst kind of person, because you really are.

>programming
>UMPC

I seriously hope this post is a le joke

Yes, and?
Pyra is already targeted to small market so it will be sold for their audience.

Hardware keyboards on UMPCs are even worse than software keyboards, and if you want a gamepad then use a bluetooth one or a Vita.

lmao I bet it is - it's already kickstarter-tier vaporware anyway

>Hardware keyboards on UMPCs are even worse than software keyboards
I disagree wholeheartedly. Again, it's all about personal preference. You're okay with touchscreen cancer, not everyone is. You're clearly content with using your phone, so just use your fucking phone. Don't go whining that I prefer something different.
>just carry even more shit
top kek

It's not a personal preference. It's just being inept at using software keyboards. And a modern phone and a Vita together would be thinner than this.

I don't get it, why wouldn't I program with it?

It's definitely a fucking personal preference. I type faster on software keyboards, doesn't mean I'd rather use a feedbackless piece of glass.
>And a modern phone and a Vita together would be thinner than this
Still two devices which means two pockets compared to the one this would take up.

Would you get better performance from the GDP Win with Win10, Win7, or Linux?

because it'd suck donkey dick?
Tiny screen to read lots and lots of text?
Tiny keyboard in which you can only use your thumbs?
You are as dumb as the people that wanted to use the oculus rift as a replacement for multiple screens

>Tiny screen to read lots and lots of text?
I had a communicator with 3" screen back in the time and I perfectly read lots and lots of text.

This. My current UMPC has a 4.5" screen and I read text on it all the time.

So realistically these are good for emulating older games and doing desktop stuff with your thumbs?

Can I attach a 20% mkg to it for fun and profit? I'm wondering if investing into one of these would be a better option than a tablet.

>Tiny screen to read lots and lots of text?
it's 5.5 inches, that's bigger than my phone and about the size as most phone and they are plenty big enough for reading lots of texts

Cant wait for mine to arrive

>playing old pc games
I was running an emulator on an arm organizer running windows CE back in 2005. get a better phone or the cheapest eeepc if you want a slow as fuck mini pc. you can get a usb snes shaped controller with all the buttons on there.

Or he could get a device that's useful for more than just old games, is pocketable, has a keyboard, and doesn't need a controller

You mean like a phone with a bluetooth keyboard?

No, I mean like one fucking device that has all the required hardware. Christ are you ever retarded.

You can't argue with autists, man. Just drop it.

>keyboardless
you can get bluetooth usb rechargable stand keyboards for like 10$ for android. so like, 10$ and your phone turns into this.

>handheld consoles
yeah to you can get controller adaptors for your phone to do this. this is the simplest one and it costs 5 dollaridoos.

there is literally no argument you can make for that piece of shit.

>he disagrees with me, better call him autistic
That's one quality argument you've got there.

So instead of just carrying the Pyra you're suggesting to carry a phone, a Bluetooth keyboard, and a Bluetooth gamepad? Top kek.

I want neo Cred Forums to leave.

Still would be thinner and lighter.

And more powerful.

>three devices
>wouldn't be bulkier
Yeah okay kid

So what?

The PSP is almost perfect as is except for only being 333mhz

Once the Vita has a full homebrew it'll be everything you could want

>dragonbox-pyra
you're literally just looking at a 600 euro raspberry pi case.

remember all those promises of integrated devices? remember how excited you were when AMD first announced their integrated graphics and promised us that they would be releasing a single chip graphics card CPU that would be cheap and we could just throw into a computer and play games? then the best they could fart out was the E-350. I was so excited to go and buy one. then the reviews came in. it was slower than a celeron and ig on even the most low end motherboards? I suggest you go buy a rpi, install rasbian and play around in the gui to get a feel of what it will be like to use this device.

I still can't believe the Vita's finally hacked, I kept thinking it was never going to happen. Now if only memory cards weren't so fucking expensive or you could at least hotswap them

what the fuck are those buttons?
>iOS
>X
>Delta
>a with a split circle

It's still not perfect but I imagine it'll be fully cracked when Sony gives up on updating it

That's literally not what the Pyra is. Can you upgrade the rPi's CPU? Didn't think so.

So instead of just buying a cheap Bluetooth keyboard, and a Bluetooth gamepad and a production phone, you suggest buying an alpha release piece of shit with no dev support, parts that will cost a thousand dollars and people will think you're making phone calls on your 80s graphics calculator? Top kek.

I'm saying that anyone who wants this should get it. Don't want it? Don't fucking buy it.
>any year
>caring what random strangers think of you
Toppest of keks

square triangle X and a circle. those devices are sony trademarks together. they enforce their copyright which is why generic controllers always have weird things on them that vaguely resemble them.

hmm, pay 100$ for something with a SoC or pay a thousand for something that has been promised to be upgradable yet wont need upgrading for about two years, by which time this shitty small dev company will have evaporated not to mention ARM chips are vastly different between them, making software incredibly difficult to develop across the platform and which, best case scenario, will have a few thousand user base with no other use than the DS nostalgia.

>he thinks someone will manufacture a better CPU to upgrade the Pyra
hahahaha

Hmmm, sperging out about a device you clearly don't want or just hiding the thread and forgetting it exists?

It amuses me how this picture doesn't show how are you supposed to hold two disconnected pieces of hardware together in two hands.

there is literally no argument you can make for that piece of shit.

I never said it will happen, but there is a chance.

> which is why generic controllers always have weird things on them
Those niggas could letter buttons.

Are there any UMPC's with a keyboard that won't ruin my hands to do some light programming on?
I SSH into a workbox to write everything anyways so computing power is kind of moot.
Although I don't know how emacs hotkeys are going to work on a mini-keyboard

Get used to vim

VIM requires just as many alt-keys though because everything is prefixed by !:

>computing power is kind of moot
does a few second delay on text appearing on the screen bother you? honestly try an RPI this happens. only now imagine no dev community writing dedicated OS distros for this device.

you're still not going to beat it on any front. even for a brand new boxed controller and the gameklip it's not going to beat a regular phone. there are smaller devices for fitting in your pocket that do this and larger ones depending on how much you want your hands to cramp up.

just go ahead and image search for "phone controller"

>does a few second delay on text appearing on the screen bother you?
Enormously, which is why I disable X11 forwarding when I SSH in because otherwise my editors try and run in an X window and it's lagged to hell.
Running it inside the terminal works without issue though

>phone controller
why would i want a controller to write code?