BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD...

IRC -> #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News sites: dragonflydigest.com / undeadly.org
Docs: freebsd.org/handbook / openbsd.org/faq / netbsd.org/docs

Potential Linux switchers welcome. Ask questions, get answers, report shitposts.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/fuchsia-mirror
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump

anyone here actively develop software on OpenBSD? how do you fair?

i'm using it to learn C

pledge is neat i guess

sometimes when i'm not sure of how to do something i actually look through the openbsd source code

bump

What's the difference between BSD and other distros?

That sets it aside?

Just switch to linux already

BSD is not a Linux distro, if that's what you're implying.

You're a persistent little shit, aren't you?

/thread

Ok, i'm still a Windowsfag OP.

Convince me why i should run BSD and i don't give a shit about muh games, not the reason why i still use Windows

Thanks for the bump

I actually like FreeBSD tho. I think it has the potential to compete with Linux!

OpenBSD is garbage.

>likes FreeBSD
>shitposts in BSD threads
kek, sure thing bud

You don't like it when you get the chance to bump your thread while debunking me?
I thought we were friends ;_;

I'd rather the thread die than have you show up.

OpenBSD is well designed and contains great security features. It handles what 90% of Linux users need and provides extra benefit on top of that.

A nice full-featured base system with X, a couple window managers, the pf firewall, lots of nicely designed servers like the httpd webserver and OpenSMTPD mail server. System configuration files that are easy to read and modify.

Clear, comprehensive manpages and a great FAQ on the website. No need to google and trawl old forums and blogs to get something working, because the documentation is always up to date and actively maintained.

What you don't get in the base system, you can get from packages if you really need to. Base system programs use techniques like pledge, privilege separation, and fork+exec to be more secure. Other security features work both for the base system and installed packages: stack protector, ASLR, separate users for each daemon, W^X enforcement, actual random number generation, and so on.

Playing hard to get, ay?

>A nice full-featured base system with X, a couple window managers, the pf firewall, lots of nicely designed servers like the httpd webserver and OpenSMTPD mail server. System configuration files that are easy to read and modify.
And basically a very limited software support

will openbsd support wayland once it's matured?

kek

Nice, will install freebsd later

Have a dess dess, good user

Probably.

Freedesktop made it hard enough to support Xorg though. They switched to a GNU build system, hence why the OpenBSD people had to do Xenocara.

Probably at some point, but it might lag Linux a little. OpenBSD software tends to be up to date most of the time but not always. GNOME, XFCE, Firefox, Chrome, etc are all current, but KDE is an old version, for example.

SysVR4 >>>>> BSD

reminder that BSD introduced stuff like vi and more

Can ports look as good as portage?

OH wow! And now a SysV is giving you Dtrace and ZFS.

>implying SysVR4, especially the one in Solaris, isn't pretty much BSD

>SysVR4 is pretty much BSD
retard alert. There's no reason to run BSD since Illumos exists.

there is one

illumos is even deader

> REM
> not RAM
which is what you need

>illumos dead
na. Joyent even runs a pkgsrc repo with 17,000 binary packages.

well ok then

OBSCURE maybe

there's nothing wrong with that either, i think every Unix and Unix-like have a right to exist as long as they bring something to the table

i still want to see a complete GNU operating system even if i know it would be fucking awful

*BSD is deprecated.

github.com/fuchsia-mirror

Fuchsia sounds good but I doubt it will be in a state comparable to the BSDs anytime soon. If the things it does are actually decent then the BSD devs will probably incorporate parts of it into their OSes. I doubt the BSD devs would ever give up because another OS exists.

Yeah, you're right. Theo de Raadt's basement has way more development resources that fucking Alphabet, the world's largest corporation. Thank you for correcting the record.

How (where) do you access the source code from?

Honestly what is it with the aggressive shilling of this? Is it parody?

sndio is so much better than PulseAudio or most other APIs. Mainly because it's so much like OSS.

i just clone the CVS tree

if you can't/don't want to do that, just google "cvsweb openbsd"

isn't that the point?

i think sndio even might have oss emulation

BSD is a parody of UNIX.

>CVS

What year is it?

You'll never even be able to compete with *BSD, 40BMI manlet

i'm just as confused as you are on the choice of keeping CVS but hey it works

it's just slow and confusing to use

oh and at least they don't use fucking svn

doesn't freebsd use that to this day?

Thanks user. I've heard from more than one place that the sourcecode was actually a pleasure to read, which sounded funny at first.

I completed my first 24 hour fast today. I won't be a fatty for much longer.

Alphabet will crush BSD and Linux like bugs.

b-b-b-but muh git uses GPL Q_Q

i think it's not just that

it's just that the idea of moving the entirety of the tree to git while preserving history is a pain in the fucking ass

hehehehe starving won't rid you of the pile of fat you grew in your body friendless kissless virgin lmfao.

I have friends and I'm not a virgin.

fasting > dieting

Fuchsia > BSD

>friends
I know, 2 friends. You happen to call them "parents"

>not a virgin
Hands wont count

lmao no wonder you are friendless virgin, considering how fat and smelly you are kek

BSD> pile of shit > fucksya
BTFO manchild hehehe

I have gained more friends actually, because I have been friendzoned by so many women. I have a normal number of friends now. Something like 5.

How exactly do you plan on competing with Alphabet?

When did Solaris become obscure?

>am I getting old?

Doesn't being friendzoned mean you at least had a shit beforehand? Because you sure as hell didn't.

>competing with Alphabet?
>competing
It has to step inside the game, dumbshit manbaby

i think as weird as it sounds, there's probably more people who know about SPARC hardware than Solaris these days