So I got this fuckhuge 42u server cabnet for literally $10...

So I got this fuckhuge 42u server cabnet for literally $10. Now that the Nigerian king has fucked the internet and Hiroshimoot is crashing this website with no survivors, what is the feasibility of making it into a web hosting server to possibly host a new chan if this one finally fades into the dust? I want to run it off of my home gigabit fiber connection (or 5/10 gigabit whenever the tech comes around) and I plan on having an $80k+ job so electricity *shouldn't* be an issue. Does this sound remotely feasible?

this site could be run off a single box. management is just non-technical, and retarded.

not everyone in usa uses fax machines senpai

Well I mean this place is averaging like 200k users and something like 700gb of content per day irrc, I would like to be able to at least handle half of that

People have already made open source Cred Forums clones, although they're mostly used for the sake of archiving.
Look up Fuuka or Foolz.

So at least that would be easy for me. I'm probably a 6/10 on the tech knowledge scale, I can do hardware and at least understand software, but writing my own I have no clue on.

How are you going to cool everything? Which electrician is going to be dumb enough to install 60a circuits for that thing in that fire hazard of a garage? Who is going to provide a backup power feed for that thing if your main feed goes out?

Considering im going to school for electrical engineering in a year, all of those problems will likely solve themselves. If not, that's what money is for.

It will mostly depend on your internet connection and not the server itself.
Software-wise, there are many off-the-shelf solutions available, and I can also provide my code (almost complete, just doesn't have challenges (i.e. captchas) or admin pages (i.e. you have to operate on the db to set a post as being an admin post, or to sticky a thread, or to view reports and ban people).

Internet would be domestic gigabit, a little undersided for a large website but I'm trying to not go broke like the last 2 people who owned Cred Forums. Software wise it would have to be a complete solution because I know fuck all about making code.

You'll need to be in an actual datacenter, or at least have gigabit business internet and 2 hosts.

I doubt an ISP will let you run a big website on a domestic plan which usually costs considerably less than a "professional" plan and the contract will be riddled with "no website hosting" clauses.

True, but being small at the start will likely let me fly under the radar for a while

As Says. And you care a lot more about upload speed than download speed, which is often very limited on domestic plans.

You should try, at least at the beginning, using free hosting services like redhat's openshift, for example. If you figure out a monetization scheme (protip: I'm 99% sure having a donation gauge + donate buttons will be more than good enough), you can then move to self-hosting after paying for an enterprise-grade connection.

>paying for an enterprise-grade connection.
By this I assume you mean a connection with a business level SLA. He's not getting an actual enterprise connection to the internet unless he's in a datacenter and you don't want to turn your house into a business.

>you don't want to turn your house into a business.
Into a datacenter, I meant.

But why?
If this place gets shoa'd, we can use 8 ch...

Do you have any idea how much it costs to serve a website of this size?
People use data centers because the savings are passed on from their extremely efficient power & cooling, and virtualization.

Let Cred Forums expert programmers rewrite Cred Forums in ASSEMBLY

Have you been there recently? It's a shithole even worse than here.

>5/10 gigabit (wut)
>i PLAN on having $80k job

holy shit, if you have to ask questions like this and you include shit like that, the answer is flat NO

>paying $10 to haul away someone else's garbage when they should have paid YOU for the trouble

enjoy your waste of space OP

no. and you are right.
so what do we do? lainchan seems like a good place to migrate to, I'm only interested in that part of Cred Forums anyway, and the rest went to shit in 2012

Last time I've been on lainchan it was a massive hugbox. Anyone who dared not agree with a tripfag would get instabanned, for instance, and any non-hivemind opinion would be deleted instantly.

the site changed owners. a few things have changed

you sound like a real intelligent guy

>5/10 gigabit (wut)
Some places offer residential 10Gbps connections. With N-BaseT we may even see 5Gbps connections, but I don't know if that's what OP was trying to say.

very few and you are talking hundreds a month not including the hundreds if not thousands of hardware needed to route it in the first place.

and then you realize that while you can get away with hosting stupid bullshit on a home connection, any real trafficed website will be noticed and you will be either forced to go with a business account or they will block you

>very few
Yes, I did say some. I think there are about 3 locales where you can subscribe to 10Gbps service. One of them being Minneapolis, oddly.
>and you are talking hundreds a month not including the hundreds if not thousands of hardware needed to route it in the first place.
I don't know what relevance this has, but it's not that expensive a subscription and the only 10Gbit networking equipment I haven't seen for cheap are 10Gbit gateway routers.

Also not every ISP is like yours and hates hosting. Mine even actively encourages it, but can't keep up with most others.

>If not, that's what money is for.
Not on 80k a year .........

an 8 port switch is in the $700 range alone. only making 80k a year does just justify spending an extra $300 a month on top of multiple thousands of dollars of initial investment just to get busted for using a residential node for commercial traffic.

and multiple thousands is an understatement if someone wants to actually host a high traffic high storage intensive web site without HA and no co-location, which means some dumb kid in australia can easily ddos you

threads like this show just how fucking clueless people here are of how the real world works

>Still in high school
>Going to school with most likely solve itself

Holy fucking shit, come back in 4 years you fucking child you literally have no idea what you are talking about.

>an 8 port switch is in the $700 range alone.
And yet you can buy a 24 port SFP+ switch for 200 dollars.
>only making 80k a year does just justify spending an extra $300 a month on top of multiple thousands of dollars of initial investment just to get busted for using a residential node for commercial traffic.
I don't think any of the services offering 10Gbit cost 300 dollars a month, but I haven't looked at the prices in a while. You also don't need multiple thousands of dollars. Wasn't this website run on 4 Mac Minis as late as 2012? And this website has tons of opportunity for slimming down.
Again, not every ISP is yours. Most will happily serve a residence a business account and some even allow hosting with a residential account. Obviously the residential account has no SLA so you wouldn't want to host anything generating revenue with that anyway, but the point still stands.
>which means some dumb kid in australia can easily ddos you
Which they can't do in a datacenter because? This is something your ISP has to deal with, not you.

I'd write an open source version of Cred Forums if I was sure anyone would use it

>How are you going to cool everything?
With air?
>Which electrician is going to be dumb enough to install 60a circuits for that thing in that fire hazard of a garage?
Which ass did you pull that number out of? Even high powered stuff like blade enclosures will have a low voltage (120V) power option and the high voltage option will just be a 30A line that could probably power the entire rack full of equipment.
>Who is going to provide a backup power feed for that thing if your main feed goes out?
Obviously him, but that won't matter if the ISP doesn't keep nodes up during an outage, so he'll have to talk to them about that.

ha ha okay big shot.

Or have a bunch of Mac minis.

SFP not counting the optics, and check again because you are talking hundreds a month for those services.

and no, this site wasnt hosted off of fucking 4 mac minis you god damn tool, you have no idea what it takes to actually run a fucking high traffic website

t. inbred

>SFP not counting the optics
Use DACs, then? Come on. I know plenty of people running 10GbE in their homelabs that aren't spending thousands on shit.
>and check again because you are talking hundreds a month for those services.
I'll take your word for it since I don't care that much.
>and no, this site wasnt hosted off of fucking 4 mac minis you god damn tool, you have no idea what it takes to actually run a fucking high traffic website
It's not that intensive of a website to run.

>With air?
Hot isle / cold isle? Ambient temp? Raised floor AC?

>Which ass did you pull that number out of? Even high powered stuff like blade enclosures will have a low voltage (120V) power option and the high voltage option will just be a 30A line that could probably power the entire rack full of equipment.
220v 30A x2. Each side should be able to take full load (one grid / one battery & genset)

>Obviously him, but that won't matter if the ISP doesn't keep nodes up during an outage, so he'll have to talk to them about that.
Level 3 / HE / Abovenet / Cogent / etc all are setup to stay up in the event of a power outage for X amount of time. The biggest issue they face is a farmer with a backhoe.

>I don't think any of the services offering 10Gbit cost 300 dollars a month
HE.net is doing IPv6 transit for $0.25/mbit atm.

>This is something your ISP has to deal with, not you.
No, it's not. Not at this scale. Anything at the dmark point is on you.

>I plan on having an $80k+ job so electricity *shouldn't* be an issue
A 1/2 rack of DL380 G6's runs about $250/month in power. ($0.11/kwh)

And managing this is going to be a full time job.

You're looking for a problem to fill a solution. That's the expensive way to do it. You can build a data center on 10 year old eBay Cisco stuff, sure. Optic Fusion in Tacoma did it. But you pay now or pay later, especially as you grow.

But even if you figure power and fill the rack bandwidth is likely going to be an issue. Residential connections won't work, and business connections won't scale. You'll have to go to a transit provider. At one point, Cogent was ~$4/mbit for a 50mbit commit. That's cheap, sure, but you'd have to deal with Cogent. And what do you do for redundancy?

>he thinks home fiber will work

Fucking lol. If your ISP detects traffic of the Cred Forums variety going out to a home, they're going to put the kibosh on it and make you get a business connection because IT'S A FUCKING BUSINESS.

This is one of those half-assed "let's make our own linux distro" kind of things.

more intensive than you think, especially with such a large amount of traffic and heavy database usage.

also you can add the cost of load balancers

>Hot isle / cold isle? Ambient temp? Raised floor AC?
None of the above? If you live in a suitable climate you can just ventilate the area. Run a dehumidifier, if you have to.
>220v 30A x2. Each side should be able to take full load (one grid / one battery & genset)
No, you said 60A circuits. You never said anything about redundant power and it's not really necessary. OP never said he was going to create a datacenter. Regardless, what makes you think he can't do that? It's completely possible to do so in a home.
>Level 3 / HE / Abovenet / Cogent / etc all are setup to stay up in the event of a power outage for X amount of time.
Yea, they do, but they're not who's going to be serving OP at his home.