Which of these is the best and why?

Which of these is the best and why?

office because every company use it

libreoffice is pretty good if you're a college student who needs to write papers

but that's about it, it wouldn't fly in an enterprise environment

iwork

Office, obviously.

Office you fucking retard, that's not even a question

latex

Unless you're doing academic papers with LaTeX, office is the way to go.

Libre office is a better software. But MS chose to be a dick and not be and DRM the fucking docx formats.

ApacheOO.

The Oracle cuckoldry has passed and it has a smaller memory footprint than LibreOffice.

Microsoft Office is definitely better and I say that as a huge fan of Libre Office. I like Libre Office as it's free software.

I use Latex for school assignments and Libre Office Impress whenever I need slides for a presentation.

Office [spoiler]2007[/spoiler]

MS Office is pretty cheap, if you want 2016 permanently it'll only set you back £140 iirc, don't know if it'll be less in dollars because VAT. Cheaper for a year subscription but with more stuff. Depends really on your use, if you have a job you;d be better off with MSO so you don't have to deal with .doc/x atrocities by coworkers/managers. Though at the same time, you're encouraging MS to profit from that file format fuckery. MSO's customizability is completely unrivalled by any other option in my opinion barring going into the source code and changing shit yourself (it's a productivity tool, open-source modifying is not a selling point here), forging around your workflow is very important if you use it often enough so for me MSO is a no brainer. Also the interface is cleaner, feels nicer to work in. Style formatting is incredibly easy, so much so I haven't touched latex for anything academic/work oriented as I simply do not need to. PDF compatibility is nothing short of beautiful, and office online/drive is great for ensuring you won't ever be stuck at a terminal holding your dick.

Most of the times I actually use Libre Office in a professional environment.

I have to make payslips for a company and I maintain their database. As long as MS fonts are intalled, xls files will work fine unless the file is not decorated like a school project.

The final invoices I export are pdf files, so normies don't even feel a thing

fpbp

You can also pirate it and activate it for free with KmsPico like I did.

>college student who needs to write papers
>not using latex
kys

Yeah that is a good way too, particularly for students although MS do offer a pretty sweet deal for 3 or 4 years (if it's 70£ for all 3 then it is, fuck paying that annually though). I submit work files so I just bought the damn thing as I didn't want any potential mishaps, not that I think that would really happen. I'm not sure if I like Outlook desktop yet though, seems like it may one day go the way of the dodo. Either way, I'm happy with MSO, it let's me do what I need it too.

That all being said, LibreOffice is a VERY good tool considering it isn't the (arguably) focus point of a multi-billion dollar company. So much so when I was in uni I think one of our computing departments used it, and I used it as I didn't want to buy MSO or be bothered to find a reliable torrent. I used it but switched simply because at work: MSO, and dealing with doc/docx too much.

A lot of companies use Java too

Theres little to no reason to put yourself through the learning curve if you're not working with heavy mathematical content or if it's not mandatory for your courses and even then there are other tools that handle the whole process infinitely better.

I used to froth over being some wanky prick who used TeX but now I just don't have time to fuck around with packages and making templates for every little thing. I just need a fucking office suite to handle documents and Mathematica to handle anything else.

The normal population doesn't give a shit about your beautifully typeset documents, they literally just want the document done and in their inbox.

LaTeX.

What exactly does enterprise need and libre office doesn't provide?

office because it isn't shit

>It's better because it's popular
Are you even trying?

The thing is that using TeX is no guarantee your documents will look good. I'm in physics and I've seen some awful documents produced with LaTeX, whose authors think they're beautiful simply because they're in Computer Modern - never mind awful spacing, random placements of images, and inconsistent line spacing because of equations forcing changes.

The reality is you can produce beautiful documents in Word and TeX (and InDesign, and $application...), the main barrier is that most people either don't give a shit or haven't bothered to learn the software properly.

because java is good?

LO is always playing catch up.
It will never be able to read MS's OOXML "standard", that's not LO fault, but you can't dismiss it.
Just use Office, even the web version does the job.
Anyways I would't submit a paper done in Word.
Latex will be always better for that use case.

but once you have mastered that learning curve and prepared a nice selection of templates to choose from it is quicker than anything else
you'll also be thankful for it's stability and referencing system once you are writing your first longer thesis

That's literally how it works retard. You need to use the standard of the industry to achieve maximum compatibility. You clearly haven't worked a single day in your life.

Compatibility. Sometimes stuff written on Libre and even saved as .doc won't be formatted properly if you read it with Office.

This. most papers share the same structure, you can just create a template, then it's just fill the spaces with your shitty work.

If you are a college student you can get 4 years of Office for like $50.

Both can shit PDF, so nobody cares, shill.

Are there people who are so poor that they can't afford $100 for MS Office?

If you want the dreadful rainbow WordArt and its ilk, you need to save the document as a 97-2003 format .doc

So? Just save it in another format. That's not even an argument. You're literally saying the reason LibreOffice isn't as good is because it isn't MS Office. LibreOffice is completely free and it's export formats are as well, which is another great reason to use it in enterprises to cut down unnecessary costs.
>he thinks people buy MS Office
>he thinks people buy Windows
Are there people who are so stupid that they pay shit they can get for free?

If you don't need excel don't bother with microsoft.

latex only flys with STEM papers, the avg eng/com student has ZERO need for latex

>Are there people who are so stupid that they pay shit they can get for free?
there's shitloads of retards like that breh
There's a website I check often that has daily deals and sales. If there's a sale for ms office you can be sure it will be sold out before the evening.

That is a big reason. The others will use MS Office because they did all their life. They will use .doc/.docx formats and it can't be properly converted.

Office, but pirate it, don't be a good goy and buy it.

Why would you object yourself to risk of getting malware when there is a free alternative that is just as good, if not better (because it follows open standards).

Well the average student is fine with LibreOffice anyway.

I doubt anyone concerned about malware would be using Windows.

Libreoffice is shit.

Writer documents change their appearance when you reload them.
Draw is fucking slow. FUCKING SLOW.
Calc is okay.

But I'm too hard up to get Office.

I prefer LibreOffice because it doesn't autoformat documents to have 1.5" line spacing.

Interesting to note is that Office 16 can now open ODT files

Because you look like a fucking dumbass when document that looks good for you turn out to be looking like shit for other recipients.
And this is all nice and fine if your recipients are your mom or students/professors in college, however if you send shit like this to your company client you may end up in trouble.
By the way no one actually gives a shit about Word, it's all about excel reports, which I would never trust LibreOffice with. Unless I wanted to end my career for whatever reasons.

>Interesting to note is that Office 16 can now open ODT files
Even more reason for me to leave the shitshow that is Libreoffice.

Even more reason for me to leave the shitshow that is MS Office.
FTFY

Pajeet, my friend, you need to calm down.

Office, it's not even close. If you aren't going to use it's features though, just pick up LibreOffice.

i would not trust any spreadsheet software for relevant things.

>check my resume in libre office and submit it
>HR lady gets resume in fucked up format, spaced weird
>don't get job
>edit my resume of office 2016 and submit it
>HR lady loves my resume and calls me for an interview

hmmm still can't decide to use unsupported trash like libre office or office 2016, which is used by every company and just works

>not sending a pdf
degenerate

if i git gud at calc are my skills transferable to excel? how much overlap is between the two programs?

LIBREOFFICE MASTER RACE

dirty office peasants

>not sending an .stl of your résumé printed on stone tablets

We tried LibreOffice in a production environment and it simply wasn't ready for mainstream use. Writer wasn't that bad and we could have dealt with that. But Calc and Impress failed to meet our expectations. We ended up settling on Google Apps.

how did you get it in the name field?

That's just the way it is now. Hiroshimanagasaki is experimenting with various ways to ruin the site.

Latex is the most comfy

>Buying 100 dollar for fucking Microsoft OFFICE.

Office is free when you're in university

oh my fuck my stupid chinese professor made us use latex to write a fucking three page paper. Fuck that piece of shit and his shitty autistic preferences. I wrote it in PDF and took my grade hit. It was like 8% of our grade only.

Use LibreOffice, more up to date and actively maintained.

LibreOffice is used in plenty of enterprise environments already, not sure where you got that from ...

>i wrote it in pdf
kek
i write my documents in the png language

>going to college to learn shit
>refusing to actually learn something new
topkek

Ain't no one go to college to learn shit. It's to get a job now.

Office cause it's not designed by neckbeards.

>Chooses a software designed by prajeets

>if i say pajeet at whatever chance i can get, i'll look like the saviour of the white race and a true computer scientist who knows how to make effective use of a programming language
pic related, indians can be freetards too.

>Ain't no one go to college to learn shit. It's to get a job now.
That's a truely plebeian way of thinking

> Freedom vs botnet
I think the choice is clear.
That choice is LaTeX btw.

>Implying MS hasn't gone full prajeets

Well look at this bourgeoisie faced nigga pretending like he's the proletariat just looking to get by like the rest of us.

Almost nobody goes to university because they want to. They do it because society expects them to, and there are now artificial barriers to employment that require them to have the right piece of paper to allow them to work, regardless of whether they're otherwise qualified or not.

Not that guy, but that's literally all it is.
Every CS course I took could've easily been learned online. Professors are dickheads, TAs are retarded (one TA last week couldn't even execute a python autograder script). If I have to spend money just to learn something by myself, I'd feel ripped off as hell, but that's how college is marketed these days. It's about "being independent" so that a professor doesn't look like a useless retard when asked "why don't you teach during lecture instead of regurgitating the book?".
You can get the same education to get a job at a community college or a low level state college as you would at a more exclusive college. It's all about looking employable and shoving your foot through the company's door.
Trust me when I say that mediocrity is screwed. We're gonna have unemployed college grads, not just from mediocre schools, but from high end schools as well. They're gonna have to start doing masters just to get jobs soon. The world is fucked.

>Because you look like a fucking dumbass when document that looks good for you turn out to be looking like shit for other recipients.
I have had this happen to me before, the rage i had afterwards was ....... to much

LibreOffce is good enough for me.

Why pay the Microsoft jew?

You can actually write PDF by hand though.

>Make a presentation in LibreOffice
>Open it in Office
>Formatting is all fucked up

>pay
Get a load of this retard.

which company hasn't gone full indians on W2? i'd like to know.
they're
>cheaper
>willing to work long hours
>throw enough of them at a problem and you'll eventually get a fix
any smart businessman would look past the cultural differences and go straight for the indian. not cause of affirmative action or muh diversity (although, that's just the fancy name they give it), but simply because it's cheaper than hiring homegrown programmers. you know this to be true.
a company doesn't care about how diverse it is, that's just something for investors and the general public, to make themselves look like the good guys.
it's all about cutting corners and spending little money, and hiring indians works well in that regard.

fuck off. the issue isn't indians getting in, it's jewish companies wanting cheap indian labor over expensive american labor.

i don't believe anyone can be this autistic
i'm ready to be disproven though

POO
IN
GNU

L A T E X
A
T
E
X

latex beamer

LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX LaTeX

of course nowadays a degree is required for everything
but that doesn't mean college is a useless shit show for everything else but a job qualification
that's like not enjoying a nice meal just because you have to eat so you won't starve to death
It's also up to you to pick a good school and enroll in classes that are being taught by motivated professors and that actually interest you
otherwise it's like going to mcdonald's and complaining about the quality of their shitty burgers

I wrote PostScript by hand in college because Linux vector graphics tools were shit in 2004. It wasn't too bad for simple line drawings.

PDF is pretty similar.

>inb4 still shit

POO
OO
O

IN
N

LOO
OO
O

yes, metapost existed back then

>I can edit PDF

>but that doesn't mean college is a useless shit show for everything else but a job qualification
But it is.
Go to any college, small, large, state, community, private, ivy, whatever. It's filled with retards doing what they think adults do, drink and party.
>It's also up to you to pick a good school and enroll in classes that are being taught by motivated professors
The only classes taught by "motivated" professors are the extracurriculars, you know, speech, music history, history of trade, shit like that. I suspect, it's because they're the ones who realized early on in life that there's two paths- one that'll make you money (the one that people need) and the one that'll keep them happy. I'm happy for those professors that they chose the latter, but most people think that the former will eventually lead them to happiness, so they'd rather take the boring classes that'll at the very least to a certain degree guarantee a job.

The guy holding the baby is actually pretty cool. Eh fights for farmers rights and doesn't afraid of anything. Satya can go suck a dick though.

WHITED

huge fan of office 2010

2013 is pretty shit but for norms it does jus werk

2016 is basically the same as 2013 just lil more botnet

libre and open are comfy but not nor never will be total replacements to ms office

libreoffice, because it didn't need to be shilled for billions of dollars

Save me the memes,
What is the best version of office that I should pira-- I mean buy, and why?

Download it and use KMSpico.
It just werks, plus you can use OneDrive with it.

itt: Idiots that just discovered LaTeX and don't know you can use it in microsoft word

>t. retard who downloaded Computer Modern fonts.

why the fuck would you want to do that
formatting a paper in latex is like three lines, and you can do the rest in a text editor of your choice

>install ms office
>it creates some sort of encrypted virtual partition/drive in windows just for itself, to do something non-descript that probably has no place in a fucking office suite in the first place
>mfw people actually use this fucking malware

A decent WYSIWYG text editor.

i can't...

>it creates some sort of encrypted virtual partition/drive in windows just for itself
No it doesn't.

>WYSIWYG text editor
>WYSIWYG
>for text
I think you mean for word processing, which include fonts and sizes and things like that.

you know what i mean, fag

Google docs

The worst of both worlds.

and the lag unlike either

This, more people were i am use LibreOffice.

Usually college students can get it for free through their school.

Hell no. It's like comparing a house as in pic related to the one drawn in It's beautiful and fancy and but has negative comfy factor.

>oh man my text is only black-on-white
>how comfy
fuck off.

Office isn't worth a single penny

microsoft office is better but libreoffice does what i need without pirating so it's ok

If they paying, Office. If i'm paying, Libre

libre office because it's free

>it isn't ms office

that's exactly why nobody uses it though

>You're literally saying the reason LibreOffice isn't as good is because it isn't MS Office

That's exactly the reason why Libre isn't as good: because it isn't Office. There is no format to save stuff and be 100% sure that the formatting wont be fucked up when they read it with Word, and this itself is a dealbreaker for any serious use.

>PDF

That might be great for turning in your homeworks, but in real life sometimes people have to edit other people's documents.

>That might be great for turning in your homeworks, but in real life sometimes people have to edit other people's documents.

That's when you get a call from a secretary asking why she can't edit the text on the fax that she received and then scanned into her computer.

>implying that she couldn't type the document from scratch into MS Office faster than what you'd take to even get there

I say LibreOffice is better, just because it's FOSS. Now what do you say to that, fgt?

>DRM DOCX
What are you talking about? I've never heard of this, DOCX is literally in an XML, that's what the "X" part means.

This.

We have some lengthy multi-lingual documents. So she'd need to edit it, then send it to a different department for translation. There's no way she'd be able to transcribe the already translated text, and it's not worth wasting the translator's time translating the parts that already are translated. Also, sometimes there are documents with tables or other imagery. So when this shit happens (more than once) I tell them to contact whomever they got it from and ask for a digital copy.

This is why something like Google Docs would solve all of these retarded corporate problems.

We do use Google Docs. Of course, we also use Office because there are some employees that are older than dirt and scared of change. Alternatively, because you will occasionally receive Office formatted documents and you don't want Google to mange them during conversion.

>DRM DOCX
You mean the "restrict access" and "digital signature" features?

Restrict access seems like a bit of a crock. For one thing it's tied to a Microsoft account. For another it has the same problem as any DRM -- if I can view it I can copy it and edit it regardless of whether some stupid software wants to allow it.

Of course you could also use this feature to make an encrypted document that only you and the designated recipient can read, by putting in their MS account. You can do the same with normal docx encryption and just give them the password through another channel, but this does it without a shared password, but needs you to trust a cloud.

The digital signature feature has more use. It lets you choose between creating your own signature (self-signed), and paying for one. Self-signed is of course free, but you can't use it to prove to others that you are the real you, and not some schmuck that typed your name into the signature maker. The paid way attaches your public key to your MS account, so anyone can use it to validate that you did in fact sign this document and that it hasn't been tampered with since. (Which is quite useful for legal statements, evidence, testimony, etc.)